bbc scotland

tjtj Member Posts: 25
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
I live in cumbria when i retune my humax box it picks up bbc hd scotland with scotish news why is this when i live in cumbria i set box for borders but still get scotland my tv is correct with look north etc not bbc scotland.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    The selection algorithm on the Humax is all wrong when there are competing transmitters, and will often pick the weaker one. That's probably what's happened to you.

The professional (and more expensive) answer is a highly directional narrow-band aerial pointing at and optimised for your intended transmitter.

The QAD answer is to get an RF attenuator from Maplin's or somewhere similar and put it between your aerial socket and the aerial cable, thus driving the weaker transmitter signal down into the mush, from which even the YV box won't try to resurrect it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    I know other people have struggled with this, but I have never seen this posited as an explanation before:
    The selection algorithm on the Humax is all wrong when there are competing transmitters
    Where did you get that info from, Roy?
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    redchiz said:

I know other people have struggled with this, but I have never seen this posited as an explanation before:

The selection algorithm on the Humax is all wrong when there are competing transmitters
    Where did you get that info from, Roy?Hi redchiz - from a process of observation and deduction of people's experiences on here.

Notably the 'Kidderminster effect' whereby YouView will wilfully ignore the strong signal from Great Malvern that the Worcester-based TV it is connected to has no trouble pulling in 115 channels from, in favour of the FreeView Light signal from Kidderminster.

As evinced by the YV box only showing the 35 channels that FreeView Light provides.

More tenuously, I'd hazard a guess that lost channels/lost recordings are largely happening for people in areas with competing transmitters, where both may be attempting to provide a full FreeView service, so it's less obvious that the YV box has picked the wrong transmitter, with consequent signal problems.

On the main hypothesis, I'm happy for someone from YouView or Humax to pop up and say I'm wrong, if I am.

But I'd be even happier if YouView or Humax popped up and explained how exactly the algorithm is wrong, e.g. does it just fasten onto the transmitter that it first detects when running through the channel sequence, instead of examining competing BBC1s, say, to find the strongest, or what?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    Scottish and English programs in Cumbria come from same Calbeck transmitter so may well have similar signal strengths. If at setup you are not getting an option to select English or Scottish channels then this sounds like problem.
    I would suggest a call to YouView support. This will at least get the specifics looked at in detail.
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:35AM
    Hi TJ. As Roger mentioned it sounds like it might be best to contact support directly, please have a look at our useful contacts page http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... to contact us. If you have bought your YouView box through BT or TalkTalk please contact them directly. If you have bought it via a retailer, please contact YouView Viewer Support and let the advisor know you have been asked on the forum to contact them. This will enable us to track your issue quicker.
  • tjtj Member Posts: 25
    edited 29 August 2013, 6:25PM
    Thanks for all your help every one its not a great problem just when the news comes on regional its scotish. Will get a attenuator and try thst will report back when have done so thanks again all.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    roger1 said:

Scottish and English programs in Cumbria come from same Calbeck transmitter so may well have similar signal strengths. If at setup you are not getting an option to select English or Scottish channels then this sounds like problem.
    I would suggest a call to YouView support. This will at least get the specifics looked at in detail.

Hi Roger. What sort of dialogue would you have with your TV (not your YV box) in order to choose if you wanted Scottish or English programmes?

Would you expect a YV box owner to be able to control this with the Region setting during tuning?
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    edited 25 October 2014, 11:23AM
    roger1 said:

Firstly I have to confess to neither being a Cumbria resident nor an expert on the YV Region setting as I don't see it during my setup.

I would have expected a choice of Border (England) or Border (Scotland) to be presented. This would lead to different BBC and radio channels being selected.

The problem tj highlighted, concerned BBC Scotland HD. He appears to be getting the correct SD channels and is not reporting missing radio channels nor the appearance of BBC Alba.

BBC Scotland HD is a new channel launched in January.

I could speculate that YouView is giving the choices between the regions but is selecting the wrong regional variant for the BBC 1 HD channel.