Forum software: what changes would you like to see?

PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
This is a continuation of a discussion elsewhere about the pros and cons of the Get Satisfaction software (http://community.youview.com/youview/...).

On the question of Private Messaging, Roy said
What's wrong with email, as far as I can see from the PM thread on the G-S forum, is that
(i) you need the forum member to consent to the company whose forum it is that they can see that email address, and not all of them do;
(ii) the companies do not want to expose regular internal email addresses to customers, who then write to them about all sorts of other issues using those addresses; and nor do they want to use throwaway email addresses,.
(i) People can opt out of PMs also, and long may it be so.
(ii) Personally I have little sympathy with companies who want to email customers but don't want them to be able to email back. Very common practice nowadays.

At present, the default when a user creates a new topic (like now) is for their email address to be shared with the company. If the user unticks that box, presumably they don't want to be contacted.

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    As noted in the (off topic) discussion on the other topic, there is a Get Satisfaction forum which captures feedback about the Get Satisfaction forum system that is being used here and also by lots of other companies (if people want to have a look at all the different companies/communities using Get Satisfaction take a look at the list here).

There was also an earlier topic asking roughly the same question as this one.

One can see a list of ideas that others have posted on the Get Satisfaction forum here.

Something I would like to see Get Satisfaction add is a new topic flag/category of sticky/featured (although it seems unlikely they will do this any time soon). This category would then appear on the overview page above the FAQs section.

Something else they could introduce would be an option for Community Owners (i.e. YouView in this case) to decide how many topics to list in each overview category. If that were tweaked from 3 to even just 5 (and there were the sticky section too) then the front page could capture many more key issues (whilst still not becoming too long).

Proper emoticons could be nice but is by no means important.

Whilst I see why people may want a PM feature I can also see that a key point of the community approach is that everything should happen out in the open and PM can contradict that idea. YouView do occasionally communicate with forum users outside the system if they see issues and whilst I do not know who they have contacted in the past I would speculate people do take note if YouView engage with them directly for such reasons.

It is also worth noting there are some features of the Get Satisfaction system that could be used more/experimented with that may have an impact on this forum, e.g.
    • closing topics - can be done and has been done on this forum but maybe some would like to see more topics closed to further posts.
    • merging topics - e.g. if all the topics that are basically people asking what the voice in the background is (i.e. audio description) were merged into a master topic for that issue after being answered then they would all add to the +1 topic total. That in turn would raise that topic up the ideas, problems and questions specific lists making it easier for new people to find on initial browsing.
    • forking topics - e.g. if a topic jumps then the post can be forked off to create a new topic. The difficulty here is topics tend to drift rather than jump and so forking at the beginning of the drift is far from obvious.
    • topic title editing - e.g. the 'Manually add to start/end of recordings' could be retitled 'Why is their no padding option to address clipped recordings'. Likewise topic titles could be cleaned up (which they are on occasion) to remove typos or keep to a standard format, e.g. no topic titles that are in all capitals.
    • topic category changes - e.g. the 'Manually add to start/end of recordings' generally captures what many (based on the 99 people who have voted for the topic) consider to be a problem so it could be retitled as 'No padding option to address clipped recordings' and changed to a problem.
    • topic flag changes - to reuse the same example given that the padding topic is seen as unresolved by many of the posters it would benefit from the answered flag being removed. One could say as a question it does have an answer but if changed to a problem then the same flag would label it resolved which would not be correct for those that have asked for padding on that topic (not that that means it should be added as that remains YouView's choice and they have clearly stated they continue to work with the broadcasters to deliver the better end result of perfect accurate recording).
    Overall whilst I can see things that could be better with the Get Satisfaction forum system I don't think it is as bad as some say, there are faults with other systems and there are good points about this system too (both for the user and for YouView and clearly it works well for some other long standing communities) so I would be in no major hurry to change it. In particular the forum now holds a wealth of information about the current state of the product. In time I would hope any remaining problems are largely ironed out and some additional features are added at which point more of the info here may be purely historical. At that point perhaps a clean sheet in a different system would lose little and be worth doing if the system is still seen as an issue at that time and YouView consider that a different system does not simply create other problems for them.
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 15 March 2013, 6:12PM
    Very thoughtful post, Keith, thanks.

For me, the only major change I'd wish for would be threaded posting rather than the present posts-and-comments system. But I realize that such a major change is unlikely to be considered. Otherwise, I agree, the software seems to work pretty well.
    an option for Community Owners (i.e. YouView in this case) to decide how many topics to list in each overview category. If that were tweaked from 3 to even just 5 (and there were the sticky section too) then the front page could capture many more key issues (whilst still not becoming too long).
    It would be interesting to know how many people use the overview page as their starting point for accessing the forum. Personally I go to http://community.youview.com/youview/... as I'm not so much interested in the categories as in a general view of what's under discussion.
    Indeed, whilst I look at the overview page from time to time I always start at the topic list too (in fact often open in 2 tabs).

I would expect if I was starting out with a YouView box and then had a specific question I would probably start at Google and hence my first experience of the forum would probably be directly within a topic, so again not the overview page.

However, if I were just generally interested then I might look at the YouView website and hence find my way to the front of the forum at which point I would see what that was telling me and hence being fairly methodical go from there (so I would probably end up reading the tips topic and the consolidated list early on but I realise that is not how everybody works or should be expected to work).

I have in the past (in amongst other comments) given YouView some feedback on their main support page structure suggesting that the page should make it easier to find the contact us form for direct support and have that, the knowledge base and the forum links sit on a more even footing so people can more easily see the options. That may of course mean more people put in direct support queries than is ideal but the answers may simply be short replies pointing to answers on the forum and in the knowledge base.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 15 March 2013, 8:27PM
    I would like to impotant subjects like sofware update ect pined to the top list so can accessed easerly
    Yes being able to pin/make sticky and more prominent the most recent update announcement would be useful. There is of course the specific list of announcements at

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

and the main forum overview page also lists the latest update announcement in the right hand column below the additional support links.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 16 March 2013, 6:29AM
    Any chance of getting a British English spellchecker program to avoid having that squiggly red line ordering you to spell "programme", "program"?
    Hi Peter - spell checking is a feature of your browser rather than the forum software, e.g. see this page on the spell checker in firefox

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/h...

So you may find that the browser defaults to US English and you just need to change it to British English (possibly having to add the British dictionary first).

Just testing this now with firefox, if I have the dictionary/language set to US English then it says programme is misspelt whereas if I change to British English it knows it is correct.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2013, 9:45AM
    I use the ieSpell add on but I hear that IE10 now comes with its own spell-checker.
    edited 16 March 2013, 12:18PM
    Keith said
    ....if all the topics that are basically people asking what the voice in the background is (i.e. audio description) were merged into a master topic for that issue after being answered then they would all add to the +1 topic total. That in turn would raise that topic up the lists making it easier for new people to find on initial browsing.
    Keith, could you explain this bit? How does the +1 topic total raise the topic up the list? The topic list is ordered chronologically (last topic posted to), isn't it?
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 16 March 2013, 2:22PM
    A block function would be good.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 16 March 2013, 2:25PM
    ...if not essential! :)
    edited 16 March 2013, 3:54PM
    Keith, maybe you can tell me how the tagging is meant to be used?

I had a go at assigning a tag to a couple of topics, and somewhat to my surprise the tag was accepted. But when I entered the tag in the topic search box, the two topics that I had tagged didn't come up.

The tag I used was "accessibility", and the two topics I tagged both were about things like problems viewing the EPG.

I think it could be really useful to be able to quickly find relevant topics by searching on the tag.

Edit: found the answer (click on the tag). https://getsatisfaction.com/corp/help...

Excellent.
    Hi Aisha - good question. One way tags work is as clickable filtered searches, so for example if you click on a tag in the tag list of a topic it will list all other topics that have the same tag. I would also expect that tags play a part in the general search algorithm and so can influence the topics returned. However, it is likely other factors may influence a search much more, perhaps e.g. number of links to a topic, number of views of the topic, number of +1s for the topic, topics actually viewed via a search with the same keywords etc.

Your test with accessibility does show that if you click on that tag in a topic it will list other topics with the same tag. However, as you have noted searching in general does not return those topics high on the list and in fact the search result seems to return topics matching access much higher in the list. So that would tend to suggest that tags do not influence the search results much if at all and it is the content of the topic and other factors that play a key part.
    edited 16 March 2013, 5:34PM
    Another suggestion - could "last reply" in the topic list be made a link to the last reply?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I'd like Community Topics Questions to appear at the bottom of the page as well as the top. Having read the latest post, and possibly replied to it, as here, I like to press Community to return to the list, rather than the browser 'back', which shows things as they were, rather than as they are.

But it can be a long old scroll to get back to the top to press Community.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 17 March 2013, 10:30PM
    Control Home?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    On an iPad? But touching the top of the Safari header, I learn, does this quick fly to top.

However, all the other forums I use duplicate the main navigation at bottom as well as top, so I guess other platforms may not have a Ctrl Home equivalent.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 18 March 2013, 1:07PM
    Roy said
    On an iPad? But touching the top of the Safari header, I learn, does this quick fly to top.
    New to me. Thanks.