The "Shaun the Sheep" test thread - volunteers please.

redchizredchiz Posts: 4,816Member ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
OK, we have all seen the background to this: http://community.youview.com/youview/...

So let's try some testing of our own, what do you reckon?

Please look up "Shaun the Sheep" on CBBC in the YouView EPG and select an advance record/series record option. Let's give it a few days and see what happens.

And then let the feedback begin.

Comments

• Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Posts: 86Member
    edited 18 March 2013, 10:23PM
    Isn't "Shaun the Sheep" a Colloquialism for something bad, like the characters in Captain Pugwash??
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 762Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    So we're checking for clipped sheep:-)
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,816Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Now now children, please read the link.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,947Member ✭✭✭
    EweView?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,816Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Seriously, if you have a moment to spare and the inclination, do the thing and see what happens. Real research, you know it makes sense.
    edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM
    I have it series linked - lets see how many episodes get shorn.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,274Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    I'll do it on my BTVision AR series link, for comparison, to see how many minutes get sheared off. Smiley
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 390Member
    All,
    I'm the black sheep from the other thread with the S-t-S related issue. Thanks to redchiz for setting up this thread.
    To ensure we capture all the right variables, can I request that you list the model of your YV unit you are using so we can see if that is a likely cause of the issue.
    Don't know whether its relevant or not, but listing your transmitter mast might be of use.

In my case I am running a Talktalk Huawei unit from the Sutton Coalfield mast.

Current results thus far (taken from referenced thread:
    Date Length(mins)
    21/2 9
    22/2 9
    25/2 9
    28/2 5
    1/3 8
    4/3 6
    5/3 6
    6/3 7
    7/3 7
    8/3 8
    11/3 6
    12/3 8
    13/3 6
    14/3 6
    15/3 7
    18/3 6

The list times in the recording list on the box seem to get rounded up to the next minute in the list, i.e 5m 5sec is listed as 6mins
    Note: From what I've seen S-t-S are generally about +7mins long so anything listed at 8mins or above should have been successful
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 19 March 2013, 8:44AM
    I'll join in as well, the more the merrier then the test results should be more relevant. I will be using (for this test) the TT Huawei unit rather than the Humax. Will report back after a weeks recordings have completed. I am at Emley Moor transmitter.
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    All,

Just noticed that there are two S-t-S broadcasts each day.

Please ensure its the one at 3:10pm you setup for series record, not the one at 6:45pm.

My timings above are for the 3:10pm programmes, and its generally when they have the CBBC presenters provide fill between the programs. Theory here is that some variation may be affecting the AR timings.
  • MrBMrB Posts: 55Member
    edited 31 January 2016, 11:48AM
    I'd be happy to help test but the other thread is so full of argy bargy and the forum s/w makes it hard to weed out recent posts.
    Could someone summarise the problem, test and what results are req'd here please?

For example I found StS in the EPG and pressed Record and selected the Series.
    However if I use Search for Shaun and select Now & Next it shows that some shows are not selected for series Record, I presume because they are repeats. Do I need to record every show?
  • edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    Here's a thought about S-t-S.
    I've just realised that all epg listings are to the nearest 5 minutes.
    But S-t-S is about 7 minutes long.
    Could it be that the AR timings are initially entered as 5 minute slots and are then manually corrected at or near the transmission time?
    So every transmission slot has to be corrected thus increasing the probability of error.
    (That may be complete nonsense of course.)
    Smiley
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Posts: 857Member
    I recorded the 18:45 showing of StS yesterday. I set up a recording from Humax YouView and also from the tuner in the Samsung TV. YouView recorded it perfectly, lenth 7:09. The TV clipped it at 4:56. Crystal Palace.

The TV recording started on time, but cut off early. I wonder why. Correct start time + correct length should = correct end time. No following recording or change of channel was set on the TV, so it wasn't truncated for that reason.

Wondering whether something similar might be happening with Simon's clipped programmes.
    MrB said:

I'd be happy to help test but the other thread is so full of argy bargy and the forum s/w makes it hard to weed out recent posts.
    Could someone summarise the problem, test and what results are req'd here please?

However if I use Search for Shaun and select Now & Next it shows that some shows are not selected for series Record, I presume because they are repeats. Do I need to record every show?

There appear to be two recording/day - one at 3:10pm and the other at 6:45pm.
    I see the issue from the 3:10pm recordings.

I have no historical data for the 6:45pm recordings, although another user in the other thread has noted that their 6:45pm recording was Ok when my 3:10pm recording of the same programme was not.
    So that's why I suggest above that we limit the recording to the 3:10pm so as not to muddy the waters.

So setup the series record for the 3:10pm programmes and report back these timings

Thanks

P.S Yes I realise thats its scary that I have historical data on S-t-S recordings, but I am hoping that if I keep taking the pills I will be OK - fingers crossed.
    PPP QQQ said:

I recorded the 18:45 showing of StS yesterday. I set up a recording from Humax YouView and also from the tuner in the Samsung TV. YouView recorded it perfectly, lenth 7:09. The TV clipped it at 4:56. Crystal Palace.

The TV recording started on time, but cut off early. I wonder why. Correct start time + correct length should = correct end time. No following recording or change of channel was set on the TV, so it wasn't truncated for that reason.

Wondering whether something similar might be happening with Simon's clipped programmes.

Interesting.
    FWIW, ALL the recording I have seen with issues start on time and finish early.
    edited 19 March 2013, 9:47AM
    Simon12 said:

All,
    I'm the black sheep from the other thread with the S-t-S related issue. Thanks to redchiz for setting up this thread.
    To ensure we capture all the right variables, can I request that you list the model of your YV unit you are using so we can see if that is a likely cause of the issue.
    Don't know whether its relevant or not, but listing your transmitter mast might be of use.

Date Length(mins)
    21/2 9
    22/2 9
    25/2 9
    28/2 5
    1/3 8
    4/3 6
    5/3 6
    6/3 7
    7/3 7
    8/3 8
    11/3 6
    12/3 8
    13/3 6
    14/3 6
    15/3 7
    18/3 6

The list times in the recording list on the box seem to get rounded up to the next minute in the list, i.e 5m 5sec is listed as 6mins
    Note: From what I've seen S-t-S are generally about +7mins long so anything listed at 8mins or above should have been successful

Simon said
    To ensure we capture all the right variables, can I request that you list the model of your YV unit you are using ... listing your transmitter mast might be of use....
    Can I suggest also recording whether or not the start of the recording coincides with the start of the programme. Bare figures can't do this unfortunately, you have to eyeball it, briefly.
    gwatuk said:

Could it be that the AR timings are initially entered as 5 minute slots and are then manually corrected at or near the transmission time?
    So every transmission slot has to be corrected thus increasing the probability of error.
    Smiley

That has also crossed my mind, when I also looked at the EPG on my Satellite box. So there may be something in what you say.
    PPP QQQ said:

BTW I assume your TV recording would have been recording off the scheduled timings not AR?? If so the scheduled timings are for 5mins.
    So this may just show that your TV is recording for 5mins as per the schedule and your YV box's AR is working fine - at least for that Programme.
    edited 19 March 2013, 10:18AM
    PPP QQQ said:

Simon said
    FWIW, ALL the recording I have seen with issues start on time and finish early.
    Which does raise the question - why?

In my case, it can't be because the AR information is inaccurate (since YV recorded the same programme correctly) and it wasn't due to a channel change, so it seems to me it can only be due to the TV not making use of AR.

AR hero not villain.

One instance doth not a conclusion warrant however so I'll keep it going.
    edited 19 March 2013, 10:09AM
    gwatuk said:

Smiley

gwatuk - my experience shows that's not the explanation. I recorded the same episode twice (so AR info exactly the same) - YV recorded it at the correct length and the other recording (my TV) was truncated.
    gwatuk said:

Smiley

As I said below though Aisha - if the TV is not using AR and the schedule is for a 5min recording then it will only record 5mins.
    Also to back up what gwatuk has said, ALL my "bad" recordings have the end chopped off not the start.
    edited 19 March 2013, 10:14AM
    PPP QQQ said:

Simon said
    BTW I assume your TV recording would have been recording off the scheduled timings not AR?? If so the scheduled timings are for 5mins.
    So this may just show that your TV is recording for 5mins as per the schedule and your YV box's AR is working fine - at least for that Programme.
    Yes, that's the way it looks.

Which would mean that YouView's reliance on AR is justified, at least in this instance.
    PPP QQQ said:

Yes - if they can enforce AR rigorously - which seems to be the biggest issue.
    For this programme is seems AR works some of the time - but not always - or that is at least what I have observed.
    I hate to mention the "P" word, but as a workaround, Padding, as an option would have made my particular issue go away.
    Anyway - lets halt that discussion here as it'll distract the testing.
    edited 19 March 2013, 10:28AM
    PPP QQQ said:

Simon said
    Yes - if they can enforce AR rigorously - which seems to be the biggest issue. I hate to mention the "P" word, but as a workaround, Padding, as an option would have made my particular issue go away.
    For me the question of interest is not the accurate recording of StS but whether or not YouView's decision to rely on AR was justified or merely expedient. However, I agree, that's a discussion for another thread.
  • MrBMrB Posts: 55Member
    edited 31 January 2016, 11:48AM
    MrB said:

OK I have setup my TT huawei box to record the 3.10pm programmes.

I did a search for StS on my Topfield box and it found two series to record. It lists the recording schedule as one series with CRID /L5JL3B (no idea if this is visible on YV) and the other series with CRID /L5O4DX.
    The first series goes from Ep 18/20 today through to Ep 20/20 on Thu. The next Ep in this series is 1/20 @3.15pm on the 22nd and is 10m long. The next in series is ep 15/20 @3pm on the 25th and 10m long.

The other series is the 6.45pm showing from ep 12/20 through to 16/20 on Mon 25th (all 5m episodes).
    The Topfield pads programmes at the start and end as well as using the broadcast Accurate Recording bookmarks for a belt & braces approach.
    No idea if the above is useful or not. ;-)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,947Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Anaglypta said:

So we're checking for clipped sheep:-)

Looking for lamb chops :-)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    Simon12 said:

All,

Date Length(mins)
    21/2 9
    22/2 9
    25/2 9
    28/2 5
    1/3 8
    4/3 6
    5/3 6
    6/3 7
    7/3 7
    8/3 8
    11/3 6
    12/3 8
    13/3 6
    14/3 6
    15/3 7
    18/3 6

Todays timing for the 3:10pm show for me
    5:12min incomplete
    edited 19 March 2013, 7:12PM
    Simon12 said:

All,

Date Length(mins)
    21/2 9
    22/2 9
    25/2 9
    28/2 5
    1/3 8
    4/3 6
    5/3 6
    6/3 7
    7/3 7
    8/3 8
    11/3 6
    12/3 8
    13/3 6
    14/3 6
    15/3 7
    18/3 6

7.09min complete
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,274Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Interesting...

The BTVision 2.0 AR mirrors that of YouView exactly and my box said - Time 3.10pm - 3.15pm. Duration 5 minutes.

But when I clicked on it, it said time recorded as 7.10 secs and it started at the start and finished at the end, too. So no problems here.
    edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM
    And the result from Anaglypta Towers.

Transmitter = Sutton Coldfield
    EPG Schedule 3:10pm - 3:15pm
    Recording Length - 7:09
    Recording started just before transmission and ended just after transmission - so no clipping