YouView targets Summer 2013 for BT Sport streaming TV channels and app upgrade

VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Archived Posts
Finally,

The expected changes are now to happen. Not that many on here doubted it -

"YouView will revamp its programme guide this summer to make room for broadband TV channels, starting with BT Sport and TalkTalk’s pay-TV channels."

http://recombu.com/digital/news/youvi...

Oh, and this may be of interest to some - "The hybrid TV service will also add the Android version of its remote record app, before enhancing it with accessibility and remote control features."
I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Comments

• robert.inksonrobert.inkson Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2015
    will all bt customers be able to view these or just infinity customers ??,its all a bit confusing.
  • Alan4Alan4 Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2016
    This is great news, it could take the platform on to where it should be, very excited about Bt Sports channels.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    robert.inkson 16 hours ago
    will all bt customers be able to view these or just infinity customers ??,its all a bit confusing.
    All announcements are expected to be made in July. From both BT and TalkTalk. And there may be one or two from YouView too.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    A further interesting point from a related piece:

BT has promised to make its sports channels - which will show Barclaycard Premier League, English FA Cup and Aviva Rugby Premiership games - available on YouView and Freeview as well as its own BT Vision service.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-sp...
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited March 2013

@robert.inkson - According to another article on the recombu site, it will only be infinity customers.

"With the launch of BT’s new YouView-based TV service incorporating BT Sport, we’re expecting the trends [about service complaints] to change. Not only will the new BT TV service provide a stronger content offering, it’ll only be available to the 13 million homes that can take BT Infinity fibre-based broadband. BT’s fibre broadband connections offer a much more stable streaming experience than their traditional copper-based ASDL counterparts so complaints about service should lessen accordingly."

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-vi...
  • edited September 2013
    July marks YouVIew's first year of public operation, I'm expecting them to have something special to mark the occasion beyond announcements from ISPs.
    edited March 2013

thanks aisha,thought as much,and for the millions of customers not getting infinity we can expect a hour or two on demand a week for our £12.50
    edited March 2013

To be fair, I guess ADSL is just not up to it. All the similar services are only available on fibre or cable or satellite.

It could be argued that BT and TalkTalk should be more upfront about these limitations before using the promise of a free YouView box to recruit customers. But I guess they're hoping customers will shift to fibre as fast as it becomes available.
    edited March 2013

when it becomes available is the problem,for those of us living in rural areas,it will never happen.
  • cherry redcherry red Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013
    Accessibility enhancements - about time ! I just relayed this to my husband (who is totally blind and won't use YouView at the moment as it offers nothing over regular freeview for him due to lack of accessibility) and he grumbled, "I'll believe *that* when it actually happens."
    I've stopped using the YV box as being virtually blind myself, it's just too difficult, as the existing accessibility "features" are entirely useless. But I will look forward to the upgrades giving our YV box a new lease of life.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited March 2013
    Interesting developments. As a retail box owner I'm not sure how much will be coming my way but time will tell, no doubt.
  • edited January 2015

To be fair, I guess ADSL is just not up to it.
    I guess that's exactly what BT wants you to believe and are probably delighted when journalists say fibre is "a much more stable streaming experience" than ADSL.
    I'm not convinced.
    I have a nice stable 14Mbps ADSL connection (with a very conservative line profile), I don't have numerous kids all simultaneously streaming movies or playing online games and I am very pleased to be with an isp who doesn't insist that I upgrade to fibre.
    edited February 2017
    redchiz 3 hours ago
    A further interesting point from a related piece:

BT has promised to make its sports channels - which will show Barclaycard Premier League, English FA Cup and Aviva Rugby Premiership games - available on YouView and Freeview as well as its own BT Vision service.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-sp...
    Thats actually very badly worded. What Alex Lane meant to say was that BT Sport have allegedly agreed a carriage deal with ITV4 to show 12 live Aviva Premiership games with the full highlights package too.

As for the the other DTT channels, ESPN and SS 1&2? No one knows...
  • D'@veD'@ve Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2013
    gwatuk 2 hours ago

aisha 5 hours ago:
    To be fair, I guess ADSL is just not up to it.
    I guess that's exactly what BT wants you to believe and are probably delighted when journalists say fibre is "a much more stable streaming experience" than ADSL.
    I'm not convinced.
    I have a nice stable 14Mbps ADSL connection (with a very conservative line profile), I don't have numerous kids all simultaneously streaming movies or playing online games and I am very pleased to be with an isp who doesn't insist that I upgrade to fibre.
    The thing is though, if BT are going to offer two+ channels in HD streaming at around 8Mbps, and you start recording them both, or watch one while recording the other, all your adsl bandwidth has gone and you'll be into buffering for the HDTV, on the vast majority of connections. Even on SDTV many or most adsl connections won't be able to handle it well.

So clearly, BT has done this to avoid having to handle horrendous numbers of people rightly complaining about a service failing to meet its promises and wrecking their internet experience to boot! It would have been a PR disaster for BT.

On the other hand, BT fibre is already available to more homes than Virgin Media, is rapidly expanding, and if the boosted BT Vision service is successful, it may encourage Openreach to continue expanding their fibre network well beyond the end of the present rollout.
    edited March 2013
    Dave said
    ...clearly, BT has done this to avoid having to handle horrendous numbers of people rightly complaining about a service failing to meet its promises and wrecking their internet experience to boot! It would have been a PR disaster for BT.
    It's interesting to see that BT are setting up UK-based call centres for this. BT's customer service is already its own PR disaster, daily turning minor problems and enquiries into interminable sagas of customer frustration and alienation. Have to wait and see if the new centres function any better - at least there will be some new jobs created.
    edited February 2017
    I said
    To be fair, I guess ADSL is just not up to it. All the similar services are only available on fibre or cable or satellite.
    Or maybe not. Last summer during the Olympics I was able to receive the BBC's 24 streaming channels, and very wonderful they were too. That was on ADSL, via the BBC's app for Samsung TVs. I don't know if that's a vald comparison.
    edited February 2017
    Remember that TalkTalk are currently providing a range of Sky channels including live Sky Sports - albeit via their own player - to ADSL customers with a download speed capability greater than 5Mbps.
    edited March 2013
    PPP QQQ said:

I said

Or maybe not. Last summer during the Olympics I was able to receive the BBC's 24 streaming channels, and very wonderful they were too. That was on ADSL, via the BBC's app for Samsung TVs. I don't know if that's a vald comparison.netflix streams great quality HD at 2meg over ADSL,
    edited December 2016
    PPP QQQ said:

I said

Or maybe not. Last summer during the Olympics I was able to receive the BBC's 24 streaming channels, and very wonderful they were too. That was on ADSL, via the BBC's app for Samsung TVs. I don't know if that's a vald comparison.Are you sure?

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/306
    edited February 2017
    robert.inkson 3 minutes ago
    netflix streams great quality HD at 2meg over ADSL,
    In fairness, thats not true HD. YouView from BT's HD will be both streamed and progressively downloaded at a bitrate of 8Mbps minimum. And, with superior encoding (now used by all companies) this should take the picture quality above that of satellite HD.

As to *if* BT could have gone the ADSL route and offer far less quality? Yes, of course they could. But they have chosen not to, for the reasons given above.
    edited March 2013
    PPP QQQ said:

I said

Or maybe not. Last summer during the Olympics I was able to receive the BBC's 24 streaming channels, and very wonderful they were too. That was on ADSL, via the BBC's app for Samsung TVs. I don't know if that's a vald comparison.Looking it up, I find Netflix has a website ranking ISPs in terms of the quality of their Netflix delivery. BT is number 2 (Feb). The website doesn't distinguish between an ISPs fibre/ADSL networks, but O2 is only just behind BT and O2 doesn't do fibre.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/uk

So maybe gwatuk is correct and BT could extend the sports channels to ADSL if it chose to do so. Could happen in the future maybe, if not enough customers switch to fibre to get the channels.
    edited November 2016
    Well if true, and all us with normal broadband can not receive BT sports, whats the point of having a You view box?????
    edited February 2017
    Teleman 1 hour ago
    Well if true, and all us with normal broadband can not receive BT sports, whats the point of having a You view box?????
    Again in fairness, you cannot get Sky Sports either unless your with TalkTalk.

And users who especially want such subscription services normally gravitate towards either VM or Sky.
    edited February 2017
    And users who especially want such subscription services normally gravitate towards either VM or Sky.
    Only if they are prepared to be tied into a minimum subscription term generally and bundled into a wider package. Unlike the TalkTalk offerings which are available on a standalone basis and for just 30 days at a time. That is a very disruptive model from the norm to be fair. Whether it challenges the conventional wisdom in the long term we shall see.
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

Only if they are prepared to be tied into a minimum subscription term generally and bundled into a wider package. Unlike the TalkTalk offerings which are available on a standalone basis and for just 30 days at a time. That is a very disruptive model from the norm to be fair. Whether it challenges the conventional wisdom in the long term we shall see.Agree. Have a star. BT uses the same Sports package model too.

But BT have said from the off that Sky Sports and ESPN are not available via a YouView box. In big bold letters too. So its not like they tried to hide the fact.

BTVision ADSL users only number in the (approx) 750,000 region. Yet BT fibre is now available (as of last Christmas) to over 13m households. Its not hard to do the math. Or downpat the benefits of fibre over DSL, either. Because fibre is the future. For both BB and television.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if it will be possible to record the sports channels, and if so, will recordings include the 'extra' time allowed for injuries etc?. Or will the recordings be clipped so that we miss the last minute winner / equaliser?
    edited April 2017
    petkol 26 minutes ago
    I wonder if it will be possible to record the sports channels, and if so, will recordings include the 'extra' time allowed for injuries etc?. Or will the recordings be clipped so that we miss the last minute winner / equaliser?
    Yes, the new IPTV channels will be recordable. From both BT and TT.

Though the control over their timings will be interesting to see. Though where sport is concerned, it often overruns. So one would hope that there would be an inbuilt buffer to account for such.
    edited November 2016
    Will just have to see what the summer brings, who knows, and at the end of the day if it's only available to selected BT customer's it's not the end of the world, although I am very happy I held on to the old Sky + HD box!!
    edited February 2017
    Teleman 2 minutes ago
    Will just have to see what the summer brings, who knows, and at the end of the day if it's only available to selected BT customer's it's not the end of the world, although I am very happy I held on to the old Sky + HD box!!
    Actually no. It will be available for the majority of BT's customers, as over 13m households are now fibre connected.

But when you say
    Will just have to see what the summer brings
    Indeed we will. As I have a feeling both BT and TT may have a few surprises in store when the service becomes fully Multicast enabled and in the EPG.
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2015
    Visionman said:

petkol 26 minutes ago
    Yes, the new IPTV channels will be recordable. From both BT and TT.

Though the control over their timings will be interesting to see. Though where sport is concerned, it often overruns. So one would hope that there would be an inbuilt buffer to account for such.Thanks Visionman