Failed recording - Guaranteed

Gareth1Gareth1 Posts: 19Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I know there are many threads looking at failed scheduled recordings but I believe I have found a scenario where I can guarantee a failed recording, hopefully in an attempt to highlight a potential software/firmware or tranmission fault.

I have the Humax box with the latest software, my isp is Talktalk although I do not get the software updates from them as this box is not supported. My local transmitter is Tacholneston.

As a creature of habit, I often watch re-runs of Topgear on Dave+1 on a weekday evening, normally between 6 and 8pm. I also have Stargate SG1 on series record that starts at approx 8pm. My better half often calls me between 7 and 8pm, so I pause Top Gear, so I dont miss anything, and then start playing it again when I've finished the call. So i'm watching Topgear on 'time shift', but when it gets to 8pm I often have several minutes of Top Gear left to watch. My box flashes up at 8pm that it is starting to record Stargate SG1 but it doesnt record. The rec symbol doesnt come up on the box's screen but in the recording list it is showing as if its recording. When I go to play the 'recording' of Stargate SG1 the screen is blank and the box locks up. The only way to clear the locking is by pressing the power button on the remote, switching the machine into standy and they turning it back on again. When I go to my recordings, Stargate SG1 shows as failed. Im currently using eco-mode low and passthrough on.

I can overcome the issue by not 'Time shifting' Top Gear, or have the box on a different channel when Stargate SG1 starts, but I guess thats not the point.

The problem either lies with the MUX or the firmware/software, as the box does acknowlege that Stargate SG1 is now starting by saying that it's going to record, im guessing its the former.

Sorry for the long explaination but I thought i'de give an accurate explaination of the circumstances in the hope that Youview can resolve the issue? Perhaps someone might want to try this for themselves and see if its the same for them?

P.s. I'm not a trialist, I spent good money on my Humax DTR-1000 (500gb).

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Gareth - when you go to (chase) play Stargate SG1 and the screen goes blank have you left the box for say 5 minutes to see if it will recover given more time?

Another thing you could try for the purposes of experimentation and feedback would be to leave the box with the blank screen until Stargate SG1 has finished and only at that point power cycle the box. It could be the recording is working fine and thus is only failing when you power cycle the box in the middle of the recording (to recover from the blank screen). Of course you do not want to have to leave the box with a blank screen while the recording finishes but knowing how/when it fails may help YouView pin point the issue.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Gareth - thanks for the information. I've set a series recording for SG1 tonight on Pick TV, and left Dave ja Vu playing Top Gear. timeshifted by 5 about minutes. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.
  • Gareth1Gareth1 Posts: 19Member
    edited 2 April 2013, 7:45PM
    Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. Ill try your suggestion of leaving it 5 mins or more or perhaps till the end of Stargate and see if it fails. I have an old Humax 9200t which I use on another telly so I dont have to stare at a blank screen for an hour!

Piers,

Thanks, it will be interesting to see if you get a failed recording. I guess you wont be able to check the chase play part, but it might help confirm whether this is part of the issue or not.
    edited 2 April 2013, 10:02PM
    Keith,

Update. As stated in my original post, I had top gear on Dave ja vue on timeshift with stargate scheduled to record at 8pm. As usuat, im still watching topgear when the grey notice bar at the top of the screen appeared saying that the box has startedrecording Stargate Sg1. I carried on watching topgear on timeshift until 8.15pm. Once topgear had finished I hit the stop button on the remote and the timeshift ended and the box returned to realtime on dave ja vue. I then when into the youview menu and looked at my recordings. The box had stargate sg1 at the top of the list with the red recording symbol next to it. I then selected it to play. The screen then went blank. Instead of powering off the box using the power button on the remote I left the screen blank. The box was left like this until 9.15pm to make sure stargate had finished. I tried a few buttons on the remote (STOP, Youview blue button) and got no response from the box. I hit the power button and the box went into standby. After leaving the box in standby for a minute I powered it back on. I went to look at my recordings and as predicted stargate was showing as a failed recording.

I can conclude from this that powering off the box either after or during the stargate broadcast makes no difference, the end result is a locked box (Blank screen) if i chase play stargate and a failed recording once the power is cycled using the remote.

Hopefully Piers can report back tomorrow with his results. It will be interesting to know if he can recreate the failed recording by timeshifting dave ja vue with stargate on scheduled record.
    edited 3 April 2013, 4:02PM
    Piers2 said:

Gareth - thanks for the information. I've set a series recording for SG1 tonight on Pick TV, and left Dave ja Vu playing Top Gear. timeshifted by 5 about minutes. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Hi Piers, What was the result of your test?
    > Hi Piers, What was the result of your test?

SG1 recording failed, and I've reported to our bug review team to see if the problem is caused by bad stream data or a Humax problem. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Piers,

Thanks for testing this and reporting the result. Even though the problem is inconvenient, its reasuring to know that it is a genuine bug and not a problem specific to my my box. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon, in the meantime i'll avoid timeshifting programs when I know there are scheduled recordings due to start.
    Keith,

Can you add this to the 'known bugs' list?
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Gareth1 said:

Keith,

I'm sure it is a bug, but let's get it confirmed by our test team first. Should only take 24 hours.
    edited 3 April 2013, 5:25PM
    Gareth1 said:

Keith,

Sorry Piers, I may have jumped the gun a little there. Lets see what the test team says first, then perhaps you can report back on their findings?
    edited 17 November 2015, 4:18PM
    Gareth1 said:

Keith,

They're looking at it right now, and yes I'll report back.
    I'll add this to the bug list when/if the test team confirm the issue (or in a couple of days if we do not hear anything further).

From the specific example the bug appears so far to be a scheduled recordings on Pick TV will fail if also time shift watching Dave ja vu when the recording begins, but I presume it is actually more general?
    I think it's a bit more general which is worrying, but it *might* only occur when the programme you're timeshifting is on the same mux as the recording due to start. Both Pick TV and Dave ja Vu are on mux COM5
    I thought it might generalise to being on the same mux but then when I checked I saw Dave and Pick TV are on COM5 but Dave ja vu is on COM4 so Pick TV and Dave ja vu do not seem to be on the same mux.
    Oops. That's embarrassing! I used list and it's wrong:

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freevi...

I'll ask them to fix, and use a more official reference in future. Thanks for the correction.
    edited 3 April 2013, 9:37PM
    Sounds like a general problem with timeshifting then. This would explain other instances of failed recordings as I do tend to pause live tv a lot. Anyway, lets see what the testing team comes up with, but as you say Piers, its a little worrying but hopefully, now identified, relatively easy to solve?
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Posts: 857Member
    edited 3 April 2013, 10:25PM
    Sounds like a general problem with timeshifting then. This would explain other instances of failed recordings as I do tend to pause live tv a lot.
    And I seldom timeshift, and hardly ever get failed recordings.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Gareth1 said:

Piers,

Thanks for testing this and reporting the result. Even though the problem is inconvenient, its reasuring to know that it is a genuine bug and not a problem specific to my my box. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon, in the meantime i'll avoid timeshifting programs when I know there are scheduled recordings due to start.

Brilliant problem qualification and statement, Gareth. Have a star!
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    edited 4 April 2013, 9:58AM
    Gareth1 said:

Piers,

My first star! Thanks Roy :-)
    It's been confirmed as a problem for recordings on muxes COM4 and COM5. We've passed the information to Humax who provide the software for recording and timeshifting.
    I've now added this as item 19 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

Let me know if the description there is not quite correct and I can always tweak it further.
    edited 5 April 2013, 9:24AM
    Piers2 said:

It's been confirmed as a problem for recordings on muxes COM4 and COM5. We've passed the information to Humax who provide the software for recording and timeshifting.

Thanks for reporting back Piers. Lets hope Humax come up with some new code shortly to resolve the issue.
    edited 5 April 2013, 9:25AM
    Keith1 said:

I've now added this as item 19 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults.

Let me know if the description there is not quite correct and I can always tweak it further.

Thanks Keith, I guess its just a waiting game now...
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,930Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Great work Gareth and great response Piers, well done both.
  • AndyBurtonAndyBurton Posts: 11Member
    edited 17 September 2013, 9:57PM
    I've just had exactly the same result time shifting BBC1 HD (101) whilst recording on Quest (38). The program that was meant to be recorded from Quest just black screens when I try to view it as per the original report.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Piers' comment above about Humax providing the recording software, which presumably Huawei have to do for their boxes, helps to explain why Humaxes can perfectly well record channel 20 Drama while Huaweis can't.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    This is item 19 on Keith's Consolidated list of bugs and faults:

19. Scheduled recording (on Humax YouView boxes) for channels on COM4 and COM5 muxes will fail if also time shift watching another channel from those muxes when the recording begins.

Currently tagged as 'assumed fixed'.

I've looked into the history of this issue and can confirm that this was in fact fixed in the June 2013 Automatic Software Update.