Box suddenly stopped responded to remote

Robin AbbottRobin Abbott Member Posts: 18
edited 24 November 2016, 12:02PM in Archived Posts
Remote suddenly lost range

OK, have been fine with YV until this evening. When suddenly the remote is barely responding, you can wave it directly in front of the box, move back and forth and about 1 in 3 times a press button is responded. Reset the remote, changed teh batteries for a fresh set, it operates the TV fine, but the PVR still only responds to about one press in 3.

Box hardware fault?

Comments

• Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 6 April 2013, 12:46AM
    No it's a bug which Youview seem to ignore but seems to have become a lot worse since the last firmware update.

I presume you have a Humax box which seems to suffer from this the most. I suggest you get into the habit of doing a complete power down once a day (that is ensuring no recordings are active, turn off to orange using the remote and then use the rear power switch to turn off, wait 30 seconds and then power back up). This seems to cure most of the problems for a day if you are lucky (if not, use the front big switch to do a "warm" reset).
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 April 2013, 7:29PM
    If it was due to a problem with the firmware I would expect there to be many more users complaining of this. For what it is worth my Harmony 555 universal remote is rock solid when controlling the Youview box whereas the native remote was sometimes a bit iffy and need the batteries re-seating to get it to work again. For me, that points the finger at quality control of the remote control they supply.
    edited 6 April 2013, 3:00PM
    gomez said:

If it was due to a problem with the firmware I would expect there to be many more users complaining of this. For what it is worth my Harmony 555 universal remote is rock solid when controlling the Youview box whereas the native remote was sometimes a bit iffy and need the batteries re-seating to get it to work again. For me, that points the finger at quality control of the remote control they supply.

There ARE many more users complaining of this but in different ways like this recent thread:
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...

There are also complaints on other forums like AVForums.

I am afraid it is not a remote control problem (although I agree the batteries do sometimes need reseating) as these freezes also affect the buttons on the front panel.
    edited 6 April 2013, 7:29PM
    gomez said:

To follow up, the box freezing is a known firmware problem that is supposedly being addressed see:
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Andy HAndy H Member Posts: 1
    edited 1 May 2015, 12:46PM
    Just my 2p that I posted on the BT YV forum ...
    ++++++++++

YV seems more and more disinclined to react to remote
    2013-04-17 13h45 - edited ‎2013-04-17 13h52

Over the last few days the YV box seems less and less likely to respond to the remote. I sometimes need to press a key 7 or 8 times before it will take any notice. Sometimes I try several very long presses and this sometimes seems to work. It's not the batteries and it's not the remote. It's not another remote stuck on or the TV flooding the room with IR. All other devices work fine. I can use the same buttons in TV mode and the TV reacts instantly to each and every single press, even if I 'bounce' off a wall or the ceiling.

It started a few days ago when it seemed to miss a few presses but now it seems to happen about 60% of the time. It almost seems that the 'detection' has gone to sleep and needs many many seconds get its ar** back in gear. I have had (only once or twice) seen it then execute several of the buttons that I pressed in sequence (ie queued up) but normally it just takes 10 or 15 seconds to respond to the last key pressed.

Not in standby, not in max eco mode, not in don't listen to the remote for 15 seconds mode. etc etc.

Any ideas?

Ta, Andy.
    ----------------