Constructive criticism wanted...

edited 7 August 2017, 12:18AM in Archived Posts
For some time I've thought that the way people find out about software releases etc is really not very easy.
So in the spirit of this forum, i.e. let's get pro-active, I'm considering running an email alert system.
I'm not totally convinced about this.
I know it's something that I would welcome, the question is would anyone else.
So please have a look at this and give me some feedback.
It's at www.youviewupdate.co.uk.
Thanks.

Comments

• edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    I hope you got an email with the original contents of my post. :-)

You could find yourself with some unhappy companies having registered a domain which uses a trademark and a site which uses several of their logos. I'd at least make it clear the site is unofficial.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I'm impressed.

But you need to make it clear its an unofficial website and the contents contained therein are copyright the various providers.

Oh, and add the Humax forum to your links too.

And nice work gwatuk. .Smiley
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Martin1 said:

You could find yourself with some unhappy companies having registered a domain which uses a trademark and a site which uses several of their logos. I'd at least make it clear the site is unofficial.

Sorry didn't get an email. What did it say?

Thanks for the suggestion, that has now been done.
    This wouldn't be the first domain name to include youview.
    (There is something called youviewnews which is what I originally wanted to call this.)
    Visionman said:

I'm impressed.

But you need to make it clear its an unofficial website and the contents contained therein are copyright the various providers.

Oh, and add the Humax forum to your links too.

And nice work gwatuk. .Smiley

Thanks, what do you mean by "the contents contained therein are copyright the various providers"?
    I didn't know there was a Humax forum. :-)
    Where is it?
    Edit - found it and added it.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The Humax forum is here -

http://myhumax.org/forum/forum/dtr-t1...

And rather than use the term 'independent' you need to use the phrase 'unofficial'.

Also, as you are talking about and showing other providers products and services, you have to point out (legally) that they are copyright to those providers.

As in this - ©
    Visionman said:

And rather than use the term 'independent' you need to use the phrase 'unofficial'.

Also, as you are talking about and showing other providers products and services, you have to point out (legally) that they are copyright to those providers.

As in this - ©

Still not clear, what do you suggest the statement should be?
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:41PM
    Martin1 said:

In your 123-reg settings for the domain you'll probably want to use the WHOIS Opt Out option.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    "Please note this is an unofficial website that is not provided by YouView or any of it's partners."

Unless anyone could think of any better wording? But the above seems to suit.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭
    S/b 'its'. Leave the ' out of its as a possessive.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Visionman said:

As in this - ©

Wow, that Humax forum is one multi-contributor hive of recent activity!
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

As in this - ©

And the majority of users on there are very knowledgeable too.
    Visionman said:

"Please note this is an unofficial website that is not provided by YouView or any of it's partners."

Sorry, I meant what should it say about copyright?
    Roy1 said:

S/b 'its'. Leave the ' out of its as a possessive.

Apostrophe removed, sir.
    Visionman said:

As in this - ©

It doesn't mention YouView much.
    Would anybody like to check the sign up process?
    This should be fairly robust as it uses Mailchimp.
    Visionman said:

As in this - ©

The MyHumax Blog doesn't seem to have many reservations about the making of recordings for placing in a collection for repeated viewing or listening.
    See: http://myhumax.org/blog/?p=1004
    Smiley
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 11:55AM
    Visionman said:

gwatuk

Probably something like:-

"All trademarks are copyright of their respective owners"
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Big improvements in Microsoft FrontPage 5.0 I see!!

I also think that's it's a great idea!

I was thinking of asking those nice Youview people how many techies (if any) are actually working on the code, what fixes they are they doing next and (if information available) when it may be available as an update / bug fix.

So yes! I would be very interested in being kept in the loop with regards to the rollout of fixes & updates.

I've not posted on here very much as of late because it all got a bit judgemental, argumentative, and quite scathing at times.......

Signing on as we speak / type!!
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Maybe you should add a Huawei logo to the banner too for completeness?
  • Jim EdwardsJim Edwards Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 April 2013, 8:47PM
    Gwatuk - nice idea, for someone that is fairly au fait with AV and hardware, I can see that firmware is going to be a big part of how my new YouView box performs.

Signed up and the subscription system seems to be working in 'The Frozen North'. Not much better down here in 'The Temporarily Temperate South'. :-)
    Keith1 said:

Thanks Keith.
    If you knew how long it took me to do the banner....
    Will think about it! :-)

I also think that's it's a great idea!

I was thinking of asking those nice Youview people how many techies (if any) are actually working on the code, what fixes they are they doing next and (if information available) when it may be available as an update / bug fix.

So yes! I would be very interested in being kept in the loop with regards to the rollout of fixes & updates.

I've not posted on here very much as of late because it all got a bit judgemental, argumentative, and quite scathing at times.......

Signing on as we speak / type!!

Oops, what a giveaway - shows how in touch with this stuff I am. :-)
    Meta tags are now sorted. (I think.)
    edited 6 April 2013, 9:39PM
    Keith1 said:

Banners are sooooo last year! haha! (sorry)
    You could always dump the banner and put each of the coresponding logos atop the 4 colums in the table?? - maybe - doable?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Excellent work Gwatuk. Like Ed Slackbladder, I have not been active recently for the same reasons as him, and think your site is a very good idea.
    I know it is a first pass, so expect it will develop. However, one early addition should probably be a Privacy Statement, as you are collecting email addresses. I'm not suggesting in any way that I'm concerned, but if you wish to appeal to a wider audience, then I think that is needed.
    Be really interested in supporting what you are doing - brilliant.

Excellent work Gwatuk. Like Ed Slackbladder, I have not been active recently for the same reasons as him, and think your site is a very good idea.
    I know it is a first pass, so expect it will develop. However, one early addition should probably be a Privacy Statement, as you are collecting email addresses. I'm not suggesting in any way that I'm concerned, but if you wish to appeal to a wider audience, then I think that is needed.

Thanks.
    Privacy statement is a v good thought.
    Will work on it.
    To: Gwatuk
    If you think I can be of any assistance, (if necessarily behind the scenes) - you have my full permission to email me directly..

Keith1 said:

Thanks Ed.
    If you knew how long it took me to work out how to fade the images...
    (I haven't tried to do any of this for years.)

Privacy statement now added.
    Smiley

On my iPad (Safari) the clickable link for this from the home page comes up in exactly the same plain black as the preceding text, so it's not at all clear there is a link.

But it does work, and after using it, the link text now shows up in red.

To: Gwatuk
    If you think I can be of any assistance, (if necessarily behind the scenes) - you have my full permission to email me directly..

Come to that, so do all the other links, to other sites, but it's a bit more obvious they might be links :-)