YouView and multicast

PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts
A Digital Spy article (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news...) says:
It is understood that YouView is currently developing an IP Multicast solution that could double the amount of free-to-air channels delivered on the platform from 70 to 140, by harnessing internet delivery.

This has the potential to democratise television by cutting down the high cost of Freeview channel transmission and enabling innovative and new services to reach the YouView audience.
Will these channels come only to BT/TT YouView boxes, or also to standalone boxes? Anyone from YouView able to comment? I know this has been asked before. Perhaps it's been answered somewhere?

Comments

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    The IP Channels thread is probably of interest here, although it doesn't cover your question about services on standalone boxes/ISPs
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Hmm. Sky already have a multi-channel delivery platform. Virgin Media ditto. So there are two other big contenders in the media business who are trying to encroach on this. Remind me who they are again?

Do you imagine that any multi-channel offering beyond that delivered by the good old BBC will somehow be universally available to all and sundry, regardless of who they pay their money to?
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 15 April 2013, 6:53PM
    Stephen - thanks, but that is the question I'm interested d in.
    edited 15 April 2013, 8:12PM
    YouView team – any comment?

I'd really appreciate some clarity on this question.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Aisha,

A multi-million pound commercial organisation is not going to reveal its plans due to the request of one poster on an internet forum. Sorry, but thats true.

And this platform is going to explode with the amount of Multicast content available over the internet during the next twelve months. And HD too. As to what its structure will be? Who knows?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I don't know where 70 comes from. I already get 116 Freeview channels from all my TVs and my other PVR, as well as YouView, which gets me one extra ITV region that the others don't.

But ISTM that if YouView are developing these channels, for lower-cost extra services, then they are going into competition with Freeview, and while some channels would need a subscription perhaps, others might be ad-funded, or funded by interested parties.

But how satisfied candidates to acquire these channels might be by the number of YouView boxes out there, and the subset of those that are actually in use and working properly, remains to be seen.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 16 April 2013, 9:52AM
    But ISTM that if YouView are developing these channels, for lower-cost extra services, then they are going into competition with Freeview, and while some channels would need a subscription perhaps, others might be ad-funded, or funded by interested parties.
    I may have misinterpreted it, but I thought he was talking about developing the ability to deliver such channels, rather than actually developing channels. Piers has said (allegedly six months ago, if the GS when-posted guesstimate can be believed):
    - The current Humax box (the hardware) is capable of supporting IP multicast, but it does not yet have all the software needed to connect to TV content streams delivered via IP multicast. This includes all YouView Humax retail boxes, as well as Humax boxes soon to be made available by BT. Software updates will allow these boxes to become multicast enabled in the future - the low level operating system already supports it but there's a lot of other software in the box that needs to become "multicast" aware or even just "IP live channels" aware.

• Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 16 April 2013, 9:57AM
    There are already a number of streaming MHEG-IC IPTV channels available on Freeview if you look at Freeview channels 225 upwards. These are the portals to link to a couple of companies' sites.

According to the D-book all Freeview HD boxes tested by the Digital Television Group for award of the FVHD label after April 2011 should be MHEG-IC capable however for some reason YouView boxes, which use MHEG-IC for catchup, are blocked from accessing these portals.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Peter - YouView boxes are not labelled as "FreeView HD" boxes and don't use MHEG-IC. On-demand services (which include catchup) on YouView, use protocols and systems defined in our own specs that meet the requirements of our content providers and shareholders, and we're extending that to cover live TV too.

Aisha - that's right. We're not actually producing or distributing channels. We're delivering software to allow Humax, Huawei etc to make boxes that can receive live TV over the internet (initially via managed multicast, and then unicast, aka "over-the-top"). We're also supporting TalkTalk and BT in bringing new channels to the platform, and hopefully other ISPs and channel distributers in the future.
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:26AM
    (Responding to Peter Wells) More may eventually be available via Samsung Smart TV, according to an article at http://www.v-net.tv/opening-a-new-cha... about developments in "the Nordic market".
    TeliaSonera is delivering traditional digital TV with fully managed Quality of Service. The service provided via the app is a complete replica of what you get via a set-top box. Standard-definition channels are running at around 4Mbps. Homes using set-top boxes and homes using apps to access the IPTV service use the same network and the same Content Management System. There are no changes to the backend.
    Love love love my Samsung telly.
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:21AM
    Piers2 said:

Peter - YouView boxes are not labelled as "FreeView HD" boxes and don't use MHEG-IC. On-demand services (which include catchup) on YouView, use protocols and systems defined in our own specs that meet the requirements of our content providers and shareholders, and we're extending that to cover live TV too.

Aisha - that's right. We're not actually producing or distributing channels. We're delivering software to allow Humax, Huawei etc to make boxes that can receive live TV over the internet (initially via managed multicast, and then unicast, aka "over-the-top"). We're also supporting TalkTalk and BT in bringing new channels to the platform, and hopefully other ISPs and channel distributers in the future.

Two comments - since when has failure to meet your own base specifications stopped you allowing Humax and Huawei putting the "YouView" logo on their boxes and marketing them as such?

Second, are you actually saying that the YouView protocols were specifically designed so that the boxes are unable to access services provided by companies that are not part of the consortium but use their own portals on Freeview? I presume you are referring to HTML5 which is also used by Humax in their boxes?
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:26AM
    Piers2 said:

Thanks, Piers. That's just what I was trying to get my head around. In theory, it won't be just customers of the big ISPs (BT and TT) who may be able to receive multicast channels?
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:32AM
    Now here is a new question: Will Plusnet fibre customers which runs over the BT infrastructure be able to make use of multi-cast streaming to their Youview box?
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:45AM
    Piers2 said:

Aisha, read the part of Piers' response which relates to me. I think it makes it clear that they have developed a variation of the IPTV standards which mean you will not be able to access any IPTV services unless provided by the "content providers and shareholders". Sounds remarkably like a strategy to force you to subscribe to a restricted number of companies and to exclude the likes of Connect-TV - despite that company being taken over by one of the YouView shareholders (Arqiva)

Piers, does your comment and Arqiva's acquisition of Connect-TV mean that the IPTV services from Connect will be available via a YouView box - presumably by directing to a different portal that does use the YV protocols?

It has also just struck me that if YouView boxes are not MHEG-IC enabled, that could account for the freezing experienced when a channel is broadcasting an MHEG slide - or do they comply with the earlier MHEG-5 standard?
    edited 16 April 2013, 10:46AM
    Piers2 said:

Peter Wells said
    Aisha, read the part of Piers' response which relates to me. I think it makes it clear that they have developed a variation of the IPTV standards which mean you will not be able to access any IPTV services unless provided by the "content providers and shareholders". Sounds remarkably like a strategy to force you to subscribe to a restricted number of companies and to exclude the likes of Connect-TV - despite that company being taken over by one of the YouView shareholders (Arqiva)
    Peter - I don't interpret Piers' post to mean what you say it means.
    edited 17 November 2015, 3:18PM
    Piers2 said:

Peter, that's not the strategy, and I think my response was clear. As you mention Arquiva is one of our shareholders and we're in discussions with them as to the best way to get their channels and content onto YouView, but these things take time. And I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, our goal is to give customers a great choice of content and boxes and we're working very hard to do this.
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Good question Gomez. Nothing stopping it happening in theory but that's a question for BT.
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Isn't this what Plusnet or other ISPs using the BT fibre infrastructure would use?

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/...
    edited 16 April 2013, 11:16AM
    Piers2 said:

If you had said that YV uses HbbTV rather than alluding to a specifically YV related protocol I would not have been quite so suspicious. I note that Arqiva along with Technicolor and Vestel, two of the "device partners" are also part of the HbbTV consortium. So I presume this, or a variation of it, is the protocol YouView use?
    edited 17 November 2015, 3:18PM
    Piers2 said:

We don't use HbbTV compatible technology yet, but it's an area that we're watching closely. By the way, Technicolor and Vestel have worked with YouView or the BBC in the past (when we were Project Canvas) but are not device partners at the moment.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    PPP QQQ said:

Isn't this what Plusnet or other ISPs using the BT fibre infrastructure would use?

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/...

Yes, all the fibre infrastructure is supplied via Openreach, including multicast capability. But that doesn't answer the question as to what individual ISPs may provide by way of content, or if there may also be generic multicast channels available regardless of ISP, whether by subscription or somehow in the clear. That can only remain to be speculated upon at present.
    edited 16 April 2013, 12:00PM
    Piers2 said:

Might be time to update your industry.youview.com web site then LOL. Yes I am aware that both have withdrawn from developing their own YouView boxes. Perhaps because they were unwilling to use a standard that is not compatible with MHEG-IC or HbbTV? So do I have to go through all the current IPTV standards or would you like to tell us what protocols you do use?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Thanks for the replies, Piers. Very clear and concise.
    Piers (Official Rep) less than a minute ago
    YouView boxes are not labelled as "FreeView HD" boxes and don't use MHEG-IC.
    We're also supporting TalkTalk and BT in bringing new channels to the platform, and hopefully other ISPs and channel distributers in the future.
    And for the record, Plusnet have said (via their forum) that they have no plans at the moment to join the YouView platform.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 5:24PM
    I can't wait for the ability to be added to the boxes - as wanting the extra channels you can now get on the BT Vision box on the Youview box