Apologies

PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
Sorry for the disturbance, wasn't my intention, I've emailed and asked for the thread to be deleted.

I'm out of here. Thanks to many for informative and thought-provoking posts. You know who you are.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,521 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Nothing to apologise for, Aisha. Nil illegitimatae carborundum

Please don't go. If you go, the wrong person will have gone, and I shall miss you.

It's coming to something, and something very unpleasant, when your acquiescence to gwatuk's request not to hijack his thread, and the helpful way you took your honest question elsewhere when asked, should lead to your being monstered.

I hope the mods are watching, and will redress the balance here.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 864 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    I don't post that often in this forum - only when I think I have something useful or constructive to say.

Please ......don't leave aisha
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    I agree. If you choose to leave Aisha - I understand why, but the wrong person is going.
    If people providing constructive input decide they have to leave because they are hounded for no good reason,then the forum takes another turn for the worst.

I am a member of a number of forums and this is the worst one where this kind of nastiness is allowed to happen time and time again. Maybe I just lead a sheltered life. You have to sanitize your responses before you post here, in case there is a chance that someone will set the dogs on you.
    And BTW you will often get that wrong

Please don't leave Aisha. Giving in to the bullies does no-one here any good.

Mods - please take note and do something about this this time. Its not so much that people here are writing what they are writing, its the fact that you just aren't doing anything about it. Do something about it. Start banning the ones responsible.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    Aisha - I do hope you're reading this.
    I've only just picked up on what happened yesterday afternoon..
    When I said "Is there any chance of you lot going back to the original topic?" I was referring to the four of you who had all gone of at a tangent about BT/retail/BBC etc...
    Aisha, I do hope you didn't get the impression that I thought you were the main cause of this.

After that point I didn't follow the forum through the afternoon and was totally unaware of your thread about the BBC Trust. Having now just read it I am again disappointed by the way that this forum's threads can so easily turn into personal arguments.
    I've just re-read the infamous thread about forum conduct and Andy's subsequent departure thread. I really do find it hard to understand why various people become so obsessed with matters of principle - insisting that their position is correct and defending this in such a determined way as to make those they are arguing with feel under personal attack.

And now this has happened again and you've clearly been so upset that you no longer wish to be involved. Please do reconsider this.
    You've been a valuable contributor to this forum and have often impressed me with the range and depth of your knowledge of the subjects that have cropped up.
    Please don't allow the insensitive behaviour of a small number of people to drive you away.
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 19 April 2013, 11:08AM
    @ aisha

I've been reading with great interest, most of the Forums, and your comments add positive assisance or views in lots of threads! - Do please come back!

Actually, sometimes people reply to a comment with a seemingly amusing response which appears to come across as sarcastic....
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 19 April 2013, 11:08AM

@ aisha

I've been reading with great interest, most of the Forums, and your comments add positive assisance or views in lots of threads! - Do please come back!

Actually, sometimes people reply to a comment with a seemingly amusing response which appears to come across as sarcastic....

Nice attempt at peacemaking but we all know that that person being objected to doesn't:-

'reply to a comment with a seemingly amusing response which appears to come across as sarcastic..'

but is just plain nasty.
    Yes, and I'm sure its the case people sometimes make a sarcy or hurtful response, and when pressed make out that they were just trying to be amusing.

This situation would be a whole lot better experience for the majority of us if the Mods clamped down firmly on the wrong-doers.

Although we don't see the private posts sent to the individuals that have transgressed, its clear from some posts made afterwards on this forum, that on occasion they are sent out.
    But they can't be much more than a light rap over the knuckles.
    That's the problem.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,521 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Aisha's gone :-(

If the Mods won't act over this, then they won't act over anything, and this forum will descend into anarchy.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy,
    If the Mods don't act on this - then I'm off as well.
    Life's too short to spend time with petty arguments.
    Either they remove the problem within the next few working days or I'll disappear too.
    There is real useful stuff on this forum, but there is an awful lot of posturing here that I can do without.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I am very sorry to see Aisha has closed her account and I do hope she reconsiders and reopens it soon.

As ever I cannot speak for YouView. Some above have called for YouView to take action and I am sure they have/will. That action however will almost certainly be private. YouView have in the past reached out to forum members privately and directly and I would expect they would do so again now. This is very likely to include contact with Aisha to note how they value Aisha's input on the forum and would very much like to see her return. YouView have in the past also contacted forum members directly to comment on their conduct and/or how they are perceived on the forum by others (whether they intend to be perceived in such ways or not). Based on YouView's previous comments they are also prepared to suspend or ban people from the forum where they consider it appropriate. I would however expect they would be unlikely to consider matters at this particular point to require such action although given the continued intermittent friction and the bad image of the forum it presents I would very much expect them to take such action in the near future if such issues occur yet again.

Ultimately this forum was provided freely by YouView for anyone interested to interact largely on a customer to customer basis. My understanding of the expectation of YouView is that the forum allows customers to seek and receive help from each other (whereas formal support from YouView is via their website knowledge basis, phone and email support) as well as discuss topics of mutual interest about the product or related to it. YouView have always intended to take a very light touch approach to the forum and simply do not have the resources to provide a fully managed services with round the clock oversight (and nor should they necessarily need to as a forum that needs such a higher level of managed oversight might normally be expected to be much larger and more central to the formal support structure). So I would expect YouView to continue to closely monitor the forum and pick up on interesting and relevant customer comment and feedback but would not expect to see then significantly change the way they directly engage or moderate on the forum. I do expect though that they will continue to privately communicate with forum members when needed and advise them of how YouView expects people to conduct themselves on the forum (e.g. in a respectful adult manner for friendly, informative and considerate discussion and help and not for overly robust debate, circular arguments or offensive engagement (whether intended or not)).

I very much hope we do not find ourselves commenting on/discussing forum conduct and poor member interaction again any time soon and instead foster further productive and informative discussion, feedback and support for the benefit of an inclusive and welcoming customer community and for the support/help of YouView in general.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Interesting comments Keith.

So YV will/may 'just have a private word', rather than direct intervention. Thanks for that.

And thats it. I'm off. Because it appears that on this forum the needs of the one (and the only one) outweigh the needs of the few or the many. And thats no way to run a forum.

Thanks all for the much informed interaction. I've enjoyed it. But this current situation is just not acceptable. Account closed.

Bye.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Keith1 said:

I am very sorry to see Aisha has closed her account and I do hope she reconsiders and reopens it soon.

As ever I cannot speak for YouView. Some above have called for YouView to take action and I am sure they have/will. That action however will almost certainly be private. YouView have in the past reached out to forum members privately and directly and I would expect they would do so again now. This is very likely to include contact with Aisha to note how they value Aisha's input on the forum and would very much like to see her return. YouView have in the past also contacted forum members directly to comment on their conduct and/or how they are perceived on the forum by others (whether they intend to be perceived in such ways or not). Based on YouView's previous comments they are also prepared to suspend or ban people from the forum where they consider it appropriate. I would however expect they would be unlikely to consider matters at this particular point to require such action although given the continued intermittent friction and the bad image of the forum it presents I would very much expect them to take such action in the near future if such issues occur yet again.

Ultimately this forum was provided freely by YouView for anyone interested to interact largely on a customer to customer basis. My understanding of the expectation of YouView is that the forum allows customers to seek and receive help from each other (whereas formal support from YouView is via their website knowledge basis, phone and email support) as well as discuss topics of mutual interest about the product or related to it. YouView have always intended to take a very light touch approach to the forum and simply do not have the resources to provide a fully managed services with round the clock oversight (and nor should they necessarily need to as a forum that needs such a higher level of managed oversight might normally be expected to be much larger and more central to the formal support structure). So I would expect YouView to continue to closely monitor the forum and pick up on interesting and relevant customer comment and feedback but would not expect to see then significantly change the way they directly engage or moderate on the forum. I do expect though that they will continue to privately communicate with forum members when needed and advise them of how YouView expects people to conduct themselves on the forum (e.g. in a respectful adult manner for friendly, informative and considerate discussion and help and not for overly robust debate, circular arguments or offensive engagement (whether intended or not)).

I very much hope we do not find ourselves commenting on/discussing forum conduct and poor member interaction again any time soon and instead foster further productive and informative discussion, feedback and support for the benefit of an inclusive and welcoming customer community and for the support/help of YouView in general.

As someone who was quite active on this forum, I have become a passenger recently, only rarely posting. And it is for the same reason that others are leaving. I'll bide my time for now, but unless the current problems are dealt with permanently, I will follow the others and quit the forum.
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Visionman - I hope that although you have closed your account you are still lurking on the forum and this topic in particular. I'm very sorry to see you too have left although I understand your reasoning.

So that brings the number of fairly regular contributors to the forum who have closed their accounts in the last few weeks to three and those people have explicitly stated their reason for leaving as issues with forum conduct. I am aware of another regular contributor who closed their account some time earlier as well as other valued and regular contributors who no longer or rarely post on the forum. Overall looking at the 20 people who have I think posted the most on this forum since it began then 50% of them have either closed their account or now rarely or never post. There are many perfectly good reasons why some would no longer interact on the forum as much as before but to have possibly lost 50% of the most prominent members is disappointing. I should add that to me it is not the quantity of posts that is a major indicator of a members value on the forum but the quality of those posts and I have simply used the quantity measure as a simple tool to show the withdrawal from the community of a number of previously very visible members.

Collectively this makes the forum a poorer place for those that remain or others who come along in the future.

As ever if people wish to directly engage with YouView they can email

[email protected]

(as stated in the community guidelines).

I know some people do do this providing their views on forum conduct as well as other matters. I am sure YouView will be continuing to track this topic and given it continues to develop I would expect they will continue to evolve their position and response.
    Keith,
    I value your input and appreciate the effort you are taking to be peacemaker here.
    I assume you are doing this on a voluntary basis - not being a paid Youview employee.
    With the significant recent TV/press publicity together with the amount of units BT and Talktalk must have shifted, I'm sorry but I struggle to agree that Youview can't afford to take a more proactive role here.
    This is the main Youview forum and the place most people end up coming when they google Youview looking for help.

Its not like it's the first time this problem has reared its ugly head is it? By doing nothing direct about it they might as well be condoning the bullying and hurtful stuff.
    Is this what they want from this forum - negativity leading to valued contributors being driven away? Sends out a powerful message.

Anyway to cut to the chase now, as I said above I await for action from Youview here, I said above I would give them a few working days.
    Got no comment yesterday, so it being the weekend now, I will give them till close of business Tuesday to do something about this - and not a slapped wrist.
    Otherwise I want my account closed.
    Its up to others what they do, but I would encourage them to read this thread and consider their options. Clearly some have already made up their minds.
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Simon - thanks for the comments above. To be clear for the purposes of the thread, I am not a YouView employee and have no formal relationship with them, so as you say everything I do and have done is purely on a voluntary basis and in principle no different to any other forum member.

When I signed up for the YouView trial last year I never expected to find myself taking a very active role in a trials forum helping to answer people's questions and gather together the feedback and link it across the forum to try to add a little more order. Those efforts resulted in the first consolidated list on the trials forum and ultimately in YouView asking me to seed the public forum before everyone else arrived. A couple of topics from soon after the public forum opened that contain some snippets of relevant info are

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

within which you will even see a passing reference to forum moderation back then.

Later YouView then made me their first, and so far only, forum champion as announced in

I have spoken directly with YouView in the past and more recently about forum behaviour, their moderation of it and other actions they do or could take. As ever though whilst I have outlined my thoughts to them on a number of scenarios it remains up to them as to what they do. Comments above and accounts closed are a clear message from some as to their views but will no doubt not be the only views YouView have received. As noted YouView are unlikely to further consider the situation until early next week so we will all have to wait until then to see if there is any public response on the forum or other apparent action taken that may not be directly reported.
    Keith1 said:

Visionman - I hope that although you have closed your account you are still lurking on the forum and this topic in particular. I'm very sorry to see you too have left although I understand your reasoning.

So that brings the number of fairly regular contributors to the forum who have closed their accounts in the last few weeks to three and those people have explicitly stated their reason for leaving as issues with forum conduct. I am aware of another regular contributor who closed their account some time earlier as well as other valued and regular contributors who no longer or rarely post on the forum. Overall looking at the 20 people who have I think posted the most on this forum since it began then 50% of them have either closed their account or now rarely or never post. There are many perfectly good reasons why some would no longer interact on the forum as much as before but to have possibly lost 50% of the most prominent members is disappointing. I should add that to me it is not the quantity of posts that is a major indicator of a members value on the forum but the quality of those posts and I have simply used the quantity measure as a simple tool to show the withdrawal from the community of a number of previously very visible members.

Collectively this makes the forum a poorer place for those that remain or others who come along in the future.

As ever if people wish to directly engage with YouView they can email

[email protected]

(as stated in the community guidelines).

I know some people do do this providing their views on forum conduct as well as other matters. I am sure YouView will be continuing to track this topic and given it continues to develop I would expect they will continue to evolve their position and response.

Keith it looks like our posts crossed each other.
    If I come to leave, then I may post to that email addy, but quite frankly I'm more likely to write directly to YouView management and the main shareholders.
    Keith1 said:

Hi Simon - thanks for the comments above. To be clear for the purposes of the thread, I am not a YouView employee and have no formal relationship with them, so as you say everything I do and have done is purely on a voluntary basis and in principle no different to any other forum member.

When I signed up for the YouView trial last year I never expected to find myself taking a very active role in a trials forum helping to answer people's questions and gather together the feedback and link it across the forum to try to add a little more order. Those efforts resulted in the first consolidated list on the trials forum and ultimately in YouView asking me to seed the public forum before everyone else arrived. A couple of topics from soon after the public forum opened that contain some snippets of relevant info are

within which you will even see a passing reference to forum moderation back then.

Later YouView then made me their first, and so far only, forum champion as announced in

I have spoken directly with YouView in the past and more recently about forum behaviour, their moderation of it and other actions they do or could take. As ever though whilst I have outlined my thoughts to them on a number of scenarios it remains up to them as to what they do. Comments above and accounts closed are a clear message from some as to their views but will no doubt not be the only views YouView have received. As noted YouView are unlikely to further consider the situation until early next week so we will all have to wait until then to see if there is any public response on the forum or other apparent action taken that may not be directly reported.

OK Keith, Thanks for the update.
    Based on the amount of pain this has caused, and if nothing changes, the more there is to come, if I was you I'd consider my position.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    As always an interesting discussion.

I think a number of people on this forum suffer from a wilful blindness whereby they've become so fixated on one or two posters that they turn a blind eye to such deliberately baiting topic such as this one:

and the general, on-going baiting which goes on around here.

If you think personalised or baiting comments are bad then you have to think they’re always bad and and always condemn them.

Otherwise you can’t credibly expect your complaints to be taken seriously.

As it is, complaints of unkind or unwelcome behaviour are only picked up on when they're made by one of a chosen clique or aimed at very specific members.

In recent days two new posters complained about "a small number who use sarcasm as a subtle form of bullying or exclusion"

The perception of being bullied in that thread did not generate a flood of forum departures or outpourings of grief in a thread established for such a purpose.

No-one publicly called on YouView to take action to to address the concerns of those newer members. No-one rushed to condemn the postings complained of. No-one threatened to leave if specific people weren’t removed from the forum.

Instead those accused of being bullies stood their ground and defended their actions without widespread condemnation.

In the course of the discussion, Gomez said: "I for one am not going to pussyfoot around wasting time trying to find a form of words that will not cause offence for the simple reason that some folk will look for and find offence no matter how delicately something is put."

I happen to think he's 100% right.

But what’s most striking about that thread is how both ends of an even mild discussion can perceive themselves as being on the receiving end of "bullying".

Even Roy who is a very robust guy and a lot of fun to discuss something with, suggested some of the comments directed at him could amount to "bullying".

And again, I think he was right.

What I respect most about Roy is that he can agree with someone in one thread and disagree with them in another. He doesn’t appear to hold long-term grudges, doesn’t allow one thread to inform his entire approach to any poster and doesn’t refrain from speaking his mind.

Taken as a whole, that package makes him my personal favourite forum member.

I've always maintained, and continue to believe, that what some calling rudeness and bullying is normally merely different ways of expressing oneself and differing tolerances of opposing and counter views.

The best post on this forum in recent days is also from Gomez:

“...what the writer meant to imply is not necessarily what the reader may infer.”

I’ve said the same thing in the past but as more of you like Gomez than like me perhaps you’ll take more notice now that he’s said it.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    Blimey! What have I missed/?
  • edited 20 April 2013, 5:27PM
    stuart621 said:

• stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 20 April 2013, 5:30PM
    stuart621 said:

I see. This forum certainly seems to elicit some fairly vehement discussions.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    I can assure you that the thread you referred to is nothing as subtle as baiting, it is a good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take.

As usual, you have side-stepped any criticism against you. You are the most tiresome of trolls.
  • edited 20 April 2013, 6:31PM
    redchiz said:

I can assure you that the thread you referred to is nothing as subtle as baiting, it is a good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take.

As usual, you have side-stepped any criticism against you. You are the most tiresome of trolls.>> I can assure you that the thread you referred to is nothing as subtle as baiting, it is a good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take.

Indeed.

And in posting it you proved that your own behaviour is no better than anyone else's and undermined your own condemnation of others.

>> As usual, you have side-stepped any criticism against you

You're not a moderator, this isn't your forum. I therefore couldn't care less what you think of me.

>> You are the most tiresome of trolls.

Less a case of being a troll and more a case of having a view and opinion I'm entitled, and going, to express no matter how much of a problem that is for you.
  • edited 20 April 2013, 6:11PM
    stuart621 said:

stuart621

I happen to think that if you ask others to pronounce the errors of another person's views or understanding, you really should be prepared to post your own view rather than seek to hide behind others.

The crowd think otherwise and are now threatening to quit the forum unless I'm expelled.

They may get their way.

If they do it'll be someone else's turn to be run out of town in a few weeks or months. That's always what happens in forums where tantrums and threats are allowed to decide moderation policies.
    >> I can assure you that the thread you referred to is nothing as subtle as baiting, it is a good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take.

Indeed.

And in posting it you proved that your own behaviour is no better than anyone else's and undermined your own condemnation of others.

You're not a moderator, this isn't your forum. I therefore couldn't care less what you think of me. Why should I?

We're all YouView users on equal terms, none of us has a higher status than the other. I no more care what you, or anyone else, here thinks of me than I would care what the woman next to me in the Waitrose queue thought of my shirt.

I post here mostly to help people who come looking for help. Along the way I, like others, get involved in wider discussions. Sometimes people agree with me, sometimes they dislike either what I say or how I say it.

That's life.

When I return to post again I do so with a clean mindset, a 'day zero' approach. Each thread is different just as each real-world conversation is different.

If you choose to keep a 'naughty score' for me or other posters that's your look out.

Less a case of being a troll and more a case of having a view and opinion I'm entitled, and going, to express no matter how much of a problem that is for you.
    >> I can assure you that the thread you referred to is nothing as subtle as baiting, it is a good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take.

Indeed.

You're not a moderator, this isn't your forum. I therefore couldn't care less what you think of me. Why should I?

We're all YouView users on equal terms, none of us has a higher status than the other. I no more care what you, or anyone else, here thinks of me than I would care what the woman next to me in the Waitrose queue thought of my shirt.

I post here mostly to help people who come looking for help. Along the way I, like others, get involved in wider discussions. Sometimes people agree with me, sometimes they dislike either what I say or how I say it.

That's life.

When I return to post again I do so with a clean mindset, a 'day zero' approach. Each thread is different just as each real-world conversation is different.

If you choose to keep a 'naughty score' for me or other posters that's your look out.

You might get your wish, YouView may ask/tell me not to post again. They may ban me, they might even blacklist my IP.

I have no doubt at all that if they do so you will soon select someone else to be part of your ongoing grudge and the focus of your next "good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take" thread.
    >>If you choose to keep a 'naughty score' for me or other posters that's your look out.

What strange speculation on what I do, precisely the kind of comment which usually inspires you to pedantic 18 paragraph denials.

>>Sometimes people agree with me, sometimes they dislike either what I say or how I say it.

Fair enough, as you said yourself "that's life." Except that in your case three other members have cited you as the reason for their departure. I wonder whether you have in fact noticed this?

>>You might get your wish, YouView may ask/tell me not to post again. They may ban me, they might even blacklist my IP.

Where have I expressed that as a wish?

>>I have no doubt at all that if they do so you will soon select someone else to be part of your ongoing grudge and the focus of your next "good old-fashioned straight-in-your-face piss-take" thread.

I don't have an "ongoing grudge" with anyone. See point 1. Like yourself, I try to treat each discussion on its merits. Unlike you, I try to avoid disrupting such discussions by twisting and turning them into something which they weren't.

You will more than likely come back with further invective which will naturally be all about you. If you do so, could you at least give us your thoughts/feelings about those who have left and cited your behaviour as being the cause?
    Hey

>> If you do so, could you at least give us your thoughts/feelings about those who have left and cited your behaviour as being the cause?

In answer to the first part of your request, no, I won't be passing comment on other people, especially people who aren't here to respond.

As for the second, IMO there's far too much commenting on other people's posts already despite the forum rules saying very clearly that it's not acceptable. Indeed, a number of people seem more fixated on doing that than on actually posting to help others.

So all I'll say is it's a bit daft endless engage with people you dislike, pass comment on them, and even create threads asking others to disprove their comments/statements, and then complain when they respond.

It's not necessary for a forum to have an ignore feature in order to ignore people you don't like, a lot of us could be better at ignoring things we don't like and I include myself in that.

As for my participation in this forum, it's already less then it was and it's going to get even more so.

Not for any dramatic reason but simply because as things stand YouView is looking pretty much the same in April 2013 as it did in July 2012. Every new feature anyone can want has been suggested, discussed and debated to death as has every possible VoD player we'd like added.

Until or unless a dramatic update arrives which takes the project on to the level I'm not sure there's much left to discuss.

Most of the support questions are the same, the answers to all can pretty much be found already and I don't think endlessly posting the same answers to new questioners is a very good use of my time.

Perhaps optimistically I think had YouView used better forum software and added a more general discussion area the wider spread of topics might have helped us see that people aren't the jerks we might think they are.

At the very least we could have annoyed one another via PM instead of out in the open.

As it is we're all here in our spare time giving support on behalf of shareholders worth billions but unwilling to invest in a copy of VBulletin.

Even I have better things to put my keyboard to :-)
    Drivel.

Have you any thoughts at all at being personally responsible for driving other members from the forum?
  • majonesmajones Member Posts: 79
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Does Martin actually have a YouView box?