The audio description is often drowned out by loud music on programmes. This did not happen on Sky.

pennymurchisonpennymurchison Member Posts: 1
edited 26 August 2017, 5:55PM in Support

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 844 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM
    Hello pennymurchison,

You can adjust the volume of Audio Description by going into SETTINGS, SUBTITLES & ACCESABILITY and then select AUDIO DESCRIPTION VOLUME. By default this is set to normal but you can set it to high or very high.

I hope this helps.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317
    edited 19 August 2017, 12:42PM
    I'm reluctant to update my DN372T to newer software unless I know I can get something I find useful out of it.

At least on old gen there is a bug with the Audio Description on a DN372T.  It takes no notice of the fade level that is broadcast alongside any AD.  This means that when there is load music or sound effects the AD gets drowned out.  (With Sky the AD is premixed with the normal audio on an alternate sound track which is why pennymuchison , in her thread starter, could report that she did not have this issue on Sky.  With terrestrial broadcasts it is the box itself which does the mixing.)

Can any one confirm whether this has been fixed?

Also there is a second AD bug on the DN372T.  The Audio Description on the TalkTalk pre new gen software has the default AD volume set very low. Adjusting the Audio Description Volume has never had any change on a DN372T.
    Can any one confirm whether this has been fixed on new gen?

With the Humax manufactured youview boxes I've had the AD on an HD programme is still quieter than on the same SD programme. If the DN372T AD bugs have been fixed is the AD volume on HD and SD the same on the DN372T?
  • Yasha NokeYasha Noke Member Posts: 317
    I'm reluctant to update my DN372T to newer software unless I know I can get something I find useful out of it.

At least on old gen there is a bug with the Audio Description on a DN372T.  It takes no notice of the fade level that is broadcast alongside any AD.  This means that when there is load music or sound effects the AD gets drowned out.  (With Sky the AD is premixed with the normal audio on an alternate sound track which is why pennymuchison , in her thread starter, could report that she did not have this issue on Sky.  With terrestrial broadcasts it is the box itself which does the mixing.)

Can any one confirm whether this has been fixed?

Also there is a second AD bug on the DN372T.  The Audio Description on the TalkTalk pre new gen software has the default AD volume set very low. Adjusting the Audio Description Volume has never had any change on a DN372T.
    Can any one confirm whether this has been fixed on new gen?

With the Humax manufactured youview boxes I've had the AD on an HD programme is still quieter than on the same SD programme. If the DN372T AD bugs have been fixed is the AD volume on HD and SD the same on the DN372T?
    I decided to move to new gen on my DN372T.01.01.P (72.48.91/3.6.248) and can confirm that this TalkTalk box continues to have both AD bugs that it had with old gen.

The major of these two bugs being that even when the AD is set to "Very High" the AD is still drowned out by load music or sound effects due to the box ignoring the fade level for the normal sound track that is broadcast alongside AD.