YouView Future - Watch this space!

churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
"YouView is planning a string of updates for the coming months, as it aims to take “connected TV into the mainstream.”"

For full article and news about Android app, follow this link:

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/50541/...

Comments

• stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 25 April 2013, 5:46PM
    All sounds good. It'll be interesting to see what turns up. Personally, I'm not convinced by these "second screen" things. I prefer to concentrate on the programme I'm watching but judging by Twitter, lots of people use their TVs more or less like radios nowadays! :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    You heard it here last :-(
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Roy1 said:

LOL - and to think that there was one point, many moons ago, when we thought we might lose you ..... and look what we'd have missed..... ;-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭
    He added that infrastructure improvements were “more or less now in place” which would lead to an “exciting summer ahead.”
    Thanks for that churchwarden.

And July is the key date for YouView, where these new services, features and benefits are concerned.

TalkTalk have been well advanced for quite some time with the IPTV side of things. And BT are now also about to put their final blocks in place.

Exciting times.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:

He added that infrastructure improvements were “more or less now in place” which would lead to an “exciting summer ahead.”
    Thanks for that churchwarden.

And July is the key date for YouView, where these new services, features and benefits are concerned.

TalkTalk have been well advanced for quite some time with the IPTV side of things. And BT are now also about to put their final blocks in place.

Exciting times.Exciting summer ahead, indeed, Visionman! Looking forward to it.....
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Roy1 said:

'Blush' - but look what I'd have missed. My replacement box has worked perfectly, apart from one unscheduled trip back to January 2000 - a Millennium bug we computer programmers never anticipated when frantically changing all those DDMMYY dates to DDMMCCYY one back in the late 1990's - and even then, if was impressive how it still recorded all our 2013 scheduled programmes at the correct times, even if it did store them under Jan 2000 dates. Try and get that result with manual timings, or padding!

SWMBO, whose love/hate relationship with the YV box I have documented from time to time, is back in love with it now she can watch Dallas and skip the ads without the box charging off to the end of the programme; and while she still thinks the iPad slightly aces the YV box for ease of use of the iPlayers, she reckons drains to the iPlayers on her new Samsung Smart TV, in terms of the steps needed to get to what she wants.

Not helped by the BBC iPlayer actually fleeing off the Smart TV today - as she was bemoaning the two presses left and two presses down needed just to reach and highlight the BBC iPlayer, and making those presses towards the BBC iPlayer icon we could both clearly see, it turned into something else when we got there. Gone, pouf, had to reinstall it.

Never seen the like - even the YouView iPlayers, for all their sins, never run and hide. Or at least, I don't think they do....
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    @ Roy and churchwarden -

Loving the banter! Smiley
    Roy1 said:

Thanks for that lovely update, Roy. Like you, I love the box ... really ... but I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a bit of a moan about things now and again. (wife rolls eyes up into head, and mutters something about "Meldrew moment coming again ....") Glad your better half (I know my place) is happy again!
    There are things that I'd like to see, but if I am honest, like you, the box does everything I want, and does it well. And I love to be able to go back in the guide and play on demand so easily, when I have missed something from yesterday that a paper gives a good review to.
    Great to see you so active here - have a great summer! ;-)
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Ohhhh...

I've just read the BT Vision sport channels have just gone into live testing on the EPG.

This is going to be a good summer indeed.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    This does sound very interesting, looking forward to a great summer, and now if the weather doesn't want to play ball, at least we will have something to get up to speed with on YouView!
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 30 November 2014, 1:48PM
    Visionman said:

Ohhhh...

I've just read the BT Vision sport channels have just gone into live testing on the EPG.

This is going to be a good summer indeed.

Be interesting to see if many "pubs" take up Bt Sport and if the "foreign" channels will be showing Bt football free, as they do now with Skys coverage, in most pubs in my area

Much prefer to watch my sport in the local pubs .
    And here's another one, team....

"Throwing his (Alex Green, director of TV for BT Retail) support behind YouView, he commented this would be “our strategic platform for the future,” adding that “it makes our customers stickier, it makes them more engaged with us and our content services and our sales people love to sell it as well.”"

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/50622/...

And more along similar lines....

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/0...
  • Rob Edwards2Rob Edwards2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 23 June 2013, 9:48AM
    Looks like Youview is getting popular

edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Visionman said:

@ Roy and churchwarden -

Cheers, Visionman, glad you are back also.

I'm thinking of nominating you for 'Most helpful person who hasn't actually got a YouView box' in the annual forum awards :-)

By the way, there were two sentences in the emailed copy of this posting I got. Did you edit the second sentence out, or do smileys, like emojis on the iPad, act as a spurious 'End of Message'?

If the latter, we should report it as a bug...
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

@ Roy and churchwarden -

Thanks for that. And yes, I deleted the second sentence, as I decided it wasn't needed, lol.
    Rob Edwards less than a minute ago
    Looks like Youview is getting popular
    Indeed, it could be.

As it stands at the moment, YouView is just a seedling, but it has the potential to grow into a major platform player. Which is what Sky were afraid of. After all, they didn't make three complaints to Ofcom about it launching for nothing. And then the hypocrites joined the platform anyway. In a 'If ya can't be em, join em' type of policy.

And despite Virgin Media's also strenuous objections, YouView IS unique, in that it is a pay-model platform that has never been tried before. And a sentence from one of the above links reinforces this -

Furthermore, YouView makes no attempt to own the end customer, having adopted a neutral policy.
    Meaning that if you buy the box, you get the service, subscription free. But it then offers the user the option of subscribing to (future) additional pay-TV services, but with no Sky of Virgin Media type 'lock-in' contract. And for the first time ever, this gives all the power, and control, not to the provider, but to the user.

Nice.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Virgin Media objected to the scroll-back EPG being described as "unique". The ASA upheld the complaint and Youview accepted the ruling. The adjudication is on the ASA website
    (http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudic...)
    sam 1 hour ago
    Virgin Media objected to the scroll-back EPG being described as "unique". The ASA upheld the complaint and Youview accepted the ruling. The adjudication is on the ASA website
    (http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudic...)
    Thanks for that sam. Not really surprising VM complained, as they're last two adverts had to be pulled too, due to one complaint from the BBC, and then a second joint complaint from both BT and TalkTalk.

Honestly, they're like kids in a playground (subject to legalatory playground regulation, of course).

.Smiley