Humax Box Freezes When Playing Back A Recording

Alan Smith1Alan Smith1 Posts: 37Member
edited 7 August 2017, 12:18AM in Archived Posts
New problem since the April 2013 update. When selecting a recording to play from MyView the box shuts down and dose not respond to the remote control. A ten second front panel restart cures the problem until the unit is turned off with the remote control. The next time I turn on the same thing happens. This is a trial box and other than it not having manual tuning has worked perfectly

Comments

• PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi Alan. Is it every recording or is there a pattern? e.g. HD or SD, some channels, all channels, old/new recordings?
  • Alan Smith1Alan Smith1 Posts: 37Member
    edited 9 May 2013, 6:13AM
    Hi Piers it was the first recording when I turned the youview box on after restart the recording was ok and all Subsequent recordings worked until the box was turned off then the same thing happened when the box was turned on again. Last night the box worked ok
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I've just had this for the first time, and it's happened twice. Like Alan, I have the April update, and I've had no problems with it until now, not even the lost orange window.

Firstly, we tried to watch yesterday's Nashville, from More 4, SD. YV button, left arrow for MyView, OK to highlight the topmost item, which was The Politician's Husband, deleted it, skipped down over The History Boys, selected Nashville, OK gets the summary, then the OK that should play the programme.

But no, just a blank, black screen, and no response from any buttons we pushed, except On/Off did put it in standby. But On just brought back the black screen.

Did the >8 secs blue button reset, all came back OK, repeated the above sequence to play Nashville, apart from the deletes of course, and this time it did, all intact and perfectly normal. Alright, any box is allowed a one-off from time to time....

At end, stopped it, deleted it, and chose our recording of Alan Yentob's US of TV, from BBC 2 HD, which played fine straight off. Stopped it 43 minutes in, switched to 101 for the News, then 1 for the regional news, and then back to the interrupted recording, waiting to resume at 43 minutes. Which, when played, gave the black screen again.

Again, all the remote buttons seemed unresponsive, but eventually Guide brought up the EPG, and navigation round that was fine, but OKing any current programme had no effect. And Back or Close just took you back to the black screen.

Then, a little later, OKing a programme on the EPG did have an effect, and the chosen broadcast programme appeared. After which, I was able to return to the interrupted recording, still waiting at 43 minutes (so we know it doesn't move on in black screen time) and this time it played to the end perfectly.

And the YV box seemed to be fully working again, played a different recording OK, though we didn't try anything to do with actually making a recording.

We've had no other problems with this box, apart from the runaway skip that everyone had, though that was bad enough, and we were pleased when this last release finally fixed it.

But if we've just swapped that for this, then it doesn't augur well for the future, with the box staggering from one update to the next with one bad bug fixed and another bad bug introduced.

So: the YV box is back in SWMBO's doghouse again, and mine looms for it :-(

Edit: given Traces' thread on her black screen recipe, just to mention that we had no recordings in progress at any time while the above was happening.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
    Any progress on acknowledging this serious issue, YouView?
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 7 August 2017, 12:17AM
    I've had a similar problem to this which I have reported and I've still no feedback.

My original thread can be found here.

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

I have also experienced the box shutting down and not responding to the remote on another two occasion since that first post.
    This has happened again today. Whilst trying to watch Once Upon A Time (Channel 5) the box just shuts down. The blue light is still on and the programme display is also active. I had to restart by pressing the blue button on the front. The box also failed to record the 5+1 edition of the above programme, as well as Idiot Abroad (Pick TV) for the second week running.
    This seems to happen on a Sunday, for some unknown reason, on at least four or five separate occasions.
    When the box shut down like this I normally switch to the Humax Freesat box (due the faster start up time) to continue watching the programme in question, so I did not know of the failed recordings / un-responsiveness until later.
  • dican10dican10 Posts: 15Member
    edited 20 May 2013, 4:22PM
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    Any ideas why recordings are showing a black screen when I press play?.
  • Christine mohamedChristine mohamed Posts: 3Member
    edited 20 May 2013, 4:23PM
    Since the latest update my box keeps freezing when I am trying to playback a recorded programme

Box freezing.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Whilst we do not yet seem to have an entirely clear picture of all the situations in which this new 'black screen' issue appears to occur I earlier added it as item 20 in the consolidated list of bugs and faults topic.
    Thanks, Keith

If you take this on board, can YouView be far behind?

My working hypothesis is that this happens at random when playing, or resuming the playing, of a recording.

But if anyone can qualify it further, or provide a recipe either for repeatably provoking it, or repeatably avoiding it, this will be very useful.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 2Member
    edited 20 May 2013, 10:02PM
    Not sure this is the same issue, but I've seen a black screen when starting playback of a recording. But If you skip forward enough it sorts itself out (or at least it did for me. Sometimes at the end of playback I've also seen a black screen where it doesn't automatically return to the UI.

However I've noticed this thread has been merged with the box crash thread. That to me is totally different issue not related to the black screen where playback or UI would totally freeze and require a hard power cycle to get the box to work again. Even the soft power button would be unresponsive.
  • sam1sam1 Posts: 1,182Member ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    I think you're right. My box froze at the end of playback and needed a hard power cycle to get going again. I didn't get a black screen. This has happened only once.
  • RachelRachel Posts: 46Member
    Hi All,

Our teams are looking into this. It would be helpful if you could advise on the following:
    When this occurs, how many recordings are there in progress?
    Can you provide the programme names, channels, dates and times that you have been recording when this occurs?
    Full software version numbers

Many thanks
  • sam1sam1 Posts: 1,182Member ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Will do if it happens again.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Rachel said:

Hi All,

Our teams are looking into this. It would be helpful if you could advise on the following:
    When this occurs, how many recordings are there in progress?
    Can you provide the programme names, channels, dates and times that you have been recording when this occurs?
    Full software version numbers

Many thanks

Hi Rachel

This isn't a recording issue; it's actually a playback issue.

As such, I'm not sure that the details of the recordings matter so much, but for completeness:-

Nashville, More 4, 22:00-23:00 09/05/2013 in SD

Black screen on first entry, box unresponsive, soft rebooted, tried again, played OK no issues.

The United States of Television, BBC 2 HD, 22:30-23:30 04/05/2013 in HD

Started OK, watched about 30 minutes, stopped it to watch the News, resumed it, black screen and no playback. Pressed a lot of buttons, eventually got it back, watched it to the end OK.

Both watched on Friday 10/05/2013, Nashville from about 20:30 to 21:25, and US of TV from then till 22:00, resumed watching at 22:30.

Nothing recording while we were attempting to play these back, or indeed for the whole of that evening.

Retail Humax box, has the April update:-

Manufacturer Software: 12.7.0
    Component Software: 1.4.10
    Platform configuration: 450
    ISP Configuration: (varies by ISP)

See my very detailed report on this, above for more information, and then please ask me any further questions, if you have them, about anything I haven't mentioned.
  • Craig Pap Wheels WeatherbyCraig Pap Wheels Weatherby Posts: 12Member
    edited 18 June 2013, 7:09PM
    I have to keep resetting my Humax Box as it keeps freezing when I try to play a recording from the Menu, and the only solution is to go and press the button on the box for a while to reset it, it's happening more and more regularly, and is now getting very frustrating.

Thanks

Humax Box Freezes When Playing Back A Recording.
    All day today my box just keeps on freezing. During a normal broadcast, playback of a recorded and playing something on-demand. Very frustrating.
    Powering up and down, using the front button solves the problem for a bit, but then it re-occurs shortly after. Powering up and down using the on/off switch at the back also solves the problem and the box behaves itself for a little longer.
    When watching a recording / VoD programme the display at the front does not count through the duration of the recording / Vod programme. Resuming the recording, after restarting, the box does not recognise how far in to the playback it has gone and immediately starts from the beginning.
    This has been a problem, and now a more regular one, since the January update.
    The box just stops, no video or audio out put at all.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Lloyd - it sounds like your box may have a more general problem that that being described by most people on this topic since for most of the others it appears to relate to an issue introduced in the April update that was then fixed in the recent June update.

One possible cause of your problem could be a mild overheating issue. Overheating has been suggested as the cause of similar lock ups experienced by others who have then tended to note they cannot see/hear/feel the fan working at the back of the Humax YouView box. If you have not already done so I would thus suggest you try and take a look/feel around the rear of the box to determine if you think the internal 50mm fan is running and providing the cooling to the hard disk mounting enclosure it is connected to within. If your box is generally in a well ventilated area but has a failed fan it may often be able to cope and not overheat but perhaps the problem has got worse or the warmer weather is a factor.
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for then reply. The HDD 'feels' like it is running and the box is no warmer than I would expect.
    The other problem I've had (and this may not be a new issue) is that on Friday I had three failed recordings. Two of them were 'In The Thick of It' and where the box normally finds the +1 channel for failed recordings it did not do so this time. If you think Malcolm Tucker can be rude, I'll show you 'inventiveness with words' that will make your eyes peel. This maybe down to UKTV, I don't know.
    Anyway, I'll see if ventilating the area around the box solves this, along with giving it a good hover. I have the original parquet floors and dust is a constant problem, especially with black shinny boxes, as it doesn't have any carpet to get trapped in.
    The box stopped working another two times whilst I was typing the above reply and having my afternoon tart, washed down with a cup of tea.
    I decided to just put it in standby and watch the footie via the freesat box, see this thread for more details http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    Thankfully it recorded Once Upon a Time, without incident, but I will give the box a good seeing to, re fan, HDD and ensuring the box is well ventilated.
    I'll let you know of any further developments.

The box stopped working another two times whilst I was typing the above reply and having my afternoon tart, washed down with a cup of tea.
    I decided to just put it in standby and watch the footie via the freesat box, see this thread for more details http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    Thankfully it recorded Once Upon a Time, without incident, but I will give the box a good seeing to, re fan, HDD and ensuring the box is well ventilated.

Homonyms are a b*gger, aren't they? :-)
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:25PM

I've got my people to do the necessary with the Hover (other domestic vacuums are available) and I'll seed how it gos.

Roy,

I'm not entirely sure what you are alluding to.
    Okay,
    Tried to play a recording of Mock The Week (BBC 2 HD) and the video went leaving me with audio only. Did a soft reset via the button on the front and then the box gets stuck on either Please Wait or Hello. Tried turning it on and off again from the back and the problem persists. Won't respond to the remote. I've tried to restart three / four times, with out any luck. I'll give it a factory reset and after that I'm stumped.
    I see a few others are having trouble with the box since the June update as well. These may not be related. But this is getting very frustrating.
    All right then.

Factory reset implemented and all seems okay. Kept the recordings, but lost the schedule, no worry I'll just cobble together a new one from the list of recorded items.
    Anyway, whilst the factory reset was going through I remembered that I changed the HDMI out put to 1080p after Tuesdays update, don't ask me why. I changed it to 1080i sometime ago and noticed that the freezing / blank screens incidents decreased. I've since put it back to 1080i after the reset. This maybe entirely unrelated to the box freezing, but I thought I'd pass my observations on.

I'll keep posting here if I have any further developments.

'This recipe will make a cake big enough for four ordinary people, or twelve small tarts'.
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:25PM

Roy,
    I've been watching Justified and have trying to come up with a suitable reply to your Homonyms post in the style of a Southern Gent.
    But, surffice to say, I cannot find one. I was just playing with you.
  • Mister TMister T Posts: 7Member
    edited 20 July 2013, 11:18PM
    Apart from having problems with the box not responding to the remote after a previous update I've not had any real problems until the June update when I experienced the magenta screen problem at switch on, the only solution being to power the box off and on. This was quickly followed by the box freezing during playback again necessitating the power cycle sequence, this happens sporadically being ok for days then occurring several times in a short period, totally ruining the experience of watching any recorded material. I have carried out a hardware reset and re-installede the software all to no avail. I am seriously considering getting another make of box to record with and using the the Youview box for on-demand viewing. As I am a retail customer perhaps I could ask my money back as "not fit for purpose".
    If every Humax YouView box did this, you certainly could, but while a few have reported one or both of these symptoms, it's by no means widespread, let alone universal.

However, a retailer must offer you 'repair, replace or refund', and while the choice between them seems to be at their discretion, many would, I think, give a refund.

But at the least, you should be entitled to a replacement; and if that is no better, it would be a powerful argument for a refund.
  • Mister TMister T Posts: 7Member
    edited 20 July 2013, 11:18PM
    What ever the legalities are a recorder that does not record and playback reliably is not fit for purpose and what myself and I expect all the other people with problems would like is a device that works reliably, perhaps the option to revert to a software version that did work could be considered.
    The YouView reps are adamant that YouView box reliability is broadly on a par with any other similarly complex piece of consumer electronics.

While this is a view I regard with deep scepticism, it's true that those with problems are, perhaps not surprisingly, over-represented in the relevant forums.

This being so, retailers aren't going to give returned YouView boxes any special treatment.

Regarding reverting the software, this would possibly be a good thing, but I suspect that if a YouView box is broken by a software release, then unless the problem is inherent in the release (I.e. pretty much everybody gets, or could get, the issue, like runaway skip) it may not unbreak if you roll the software back :-(