Update on the following outstanding Recordings and EPG feature requests?

NickNick Member Posts: 594
edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM in Archived Posts
Hi,
Would it be possible for the Youview team to provide an update on the following list of feature requests for the Recordings page and EPG page/data? All the requests have been asked by multiple customers over a good few months now and I was wondering what was happening with them as they would make the YV viewing experience more user-friendly.

NOTE: All numbered items are from Keith's consolidated list

RECORDINGS:
Provide all recordings into a more compact and easy-to-access list with information regarding the recordings displayed automatically to aid with reviewing recordings.

11.Recordings List: Folders and series rollups (plus options to control the sort order and to disable rollups entirely)
recordings_list_folders_and_series_rollups
recordings_list_folders_and_series_rollups
folder_programme_order_option
option_to_disable_folders_in_recordings

12.Recordings List: Show the duration of items directly in the list
recordings_list_show_the_duration_of_items_directly_in_the_list
time_duration_of_a_recorded_programme

16.Recordings List: Info display mode
http://www.google.com
http://community.youview.com/youview/...

77/78. Automatically join parts of a split recording into a single file/item (feature toggle option available)
automatically_join_a_split_recording_into_a_single_file_item
option_to_manually_join_split_crop_recording_files

EPG:
Use the available data sources (Freeview and YV servers) to produce a richer EPG experience

4.EPG: Extended programme info in the guide
extended_info-ijged
more_useful_information_in_the_guides
epg_should_show_film_poster_still_when_info_is_pressed
epg_data_mashup_film_entries_inc_solution_for_rollup_folders_of_recordings

6.EPG: Display the synopsis for a programme highlighted in the guide without pressing the info button
display_the_synopsis_for_a_programme_highlighted_in_the_guide_without_pressing_the_info_button
info_display_on_recordings_page

7.EPG: Show channel logos in the guide
channel_logos_on_guide

8.EPG: Show movie icons in the guide
movie_icons_on_the_epg

55.Prompt to record or watch HD version from all SD channels with corresponding HD versions, i.e. not just BBC (note more a broadcaster EPG data issue than a direct feature YouView should implement)
hd_record_option
hd_record_option-69jwa
scheduled_4_hd_recording_used_sd_channel_4_instead

91.Utilisation and consistent use of genre information in EPG, listings and searches etc, e.g. genre specific search options and filters for EPG, on-demand and recordings listings (and recommendation system (idea 71) if implemented in the future), option to group or order recordings list and scheduled recordings list by genre, colour coding or icons for items in the EPG based on their genre (could also tie in with idea 8 about movie icons)
to_be_able_to_search_programmes_by_genre
auto_rollup_folder_films_recorded_from_live_tv

97.EPG: (when simultaneous recordings are in progress) indicate which channels can be switched to for viewing by greying out inaccessible ones
indicate_available_channels_when_2_recordings_taking_place
indicate_available_channels_when_2_recordings_taking_place
record_more_than_two_channels_if_muxes_allow
unable_to_watch_a_3rd_channel_while_recording_2_hd_channels

Would be really useful to know when these requests have been scheduled for implementation as some of them are features that are already on other PVRs and have been for several years. Will they be coming during June/July?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    The first link under 4.EPG PNFs :-(
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    Hi Roy,
    Got a little bog-eyed with all the URL links last night (also noticed that I've repeated a couple of them!). The link for the first EPG request (#4) is extended_info-ijged.

Hopefully the YV team will get back to us with an update on when these features will be implemented. They must be busy with getting the infrastructure in place for BT Sports, et al but the work must be nearly done on these long term requests.
    Thanks Nick

That was a mighty effort, but I fear it will fall on stony ground :-(

I'm getting a bit lairy of YouView updates now, though; they seem to fix one thing and break another. The last but one update fixed 'BFIS', but brought us 'runaway skip'; and while the latest update fixed that, it brought us 'black screen on recording playback'.

I'm all for enhancements, even for 4:3 passthrough, but as I said in the relevant thread, these mustn't clobber what we thought we already had.

Personally, I think YouView's top priority should be to sort out the tuning algorithm that can favour weak, distant, transmitters over strong, local ones in overlap areas.

I don't have this issue myself where I currently live, but I'm scared of moving house because of it :-)
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    55 would be a doddle on BBC and Channel 4 as both transmit a HD flag. My Humax HD Fox T2 recognizes it and pops up a green button prompt. My £20 Technika STBHDIS2010 changes to the HD version automatically so it is not exactly expensive to do.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Lbear1 said:

55 would be a doddle on BBC and Channel 4 as both transmit a HD flag. My Humax HD Fox T2 recognizes it and pops up a green button prompt. My £20 Technika STBHDIS2010 changes to the HD version automatically so it is not exactly expensive to do.

It's such a doddle on BBC that it already does it!
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 19 May 2013, 8:02PM
    Lbear1 said:

I was thinking of the recording side so there could be an additional option to "record in HD if available" could be added to the settings in the same way iPlayer has for viewing.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    YouView won't give an update on these features until / if they are ready to go in an update. Things happen and changes can be removed last minute, so if they say it will be in the next update and then it is removed, lots of people will complain.
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    All the EPG data problems appear (IMHO) to be around the way that YV reads and translates the Freeview metadata as the data is used by other TV guide companies (Radio Times, Whats On TV) and they do not seem to have the same problems. It may be that their servers which combine this data feed and the feeds from the content suppliers - via IP - are not performing correctly and are misreading data.

Basically I was just wanting an update on all these fairly easy to remedy problems that have been requested by multiple customers for over 8 months now. I know that things happen and changes can be removed but in a professional IT department you develop two parallel code streams (base support/bug fixes and new features) which are then merged when ready at System Integration. All code development teams initially develop independently of each other and merge at the appropriate time so considering that 8 months have passed the base support guys would at least have an idea of when they will be ready.
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    Nick4 said:

All the EPG data problems appear (IMHO) to be around the way that YV reads and translates the Freeview metadata as the data is used by other TV guide companies (Radio Times, Whats On TV) and they do not seem to have the same problems. It may be that their servers which combine this data feed and the feeds from the content suppliers - via IP - are not performing correctly and are misreading data.

Basically I was just wanting an update on all these fairly easy to remedy problems that have been requested by multiple customers for over 8 months now. I know that things happen and changes can be removed but in a professional IT department you develop two parallel code streams (base support/bug fixes and new features) which are then merged when ready at System Integration. All code development teams initially develop independently of each other and merge at the appropriate time so considering that 8 months have passed the base support guys would at least have an idea of when they will be ready.

You keep referring to the above list as problems, but all I can see are enhancements. I would suspect many of them are on their very long roadmap of work to do, but I think they have more important things to work on at the moment, with the new streaming channels, recording the streams and additional players.

They may have an idea of when they will be ready, but as I said above, they won't release that information until it is ready to go.
    Nick4 said:

Totally agree that they are enhancements rather than bugs/problems. Its just that the YouView box is effectively a high-end Freeview PVR and is directly competing with the likes of Smart TV, Tivo, Sky+,Icecrypt, Blue ray players, et al so any standard features that the target customer base expects (sport channels, recording folders, Lovefilms/Netflix/YouTube/etc) should be there.
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    Nick4 said:

I am a target customer and I didn't expect those items to be in the box. You are assuming that everyone wants the list above. Features like this are subjective and different things are important to different people. I am not saying that the list should never happen, just responding to what you said above and pointing out that there are more important things to sort out which will appeal to all customers.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Nick - I notice that John Lewis list Youview boxes under "On Demand", which seems to me more accurate and perhaps less likely to lead to expectations founded on customers' experiences with other PVRs.

I do think Youview have brought a lot of the confusion on themselves by scanty documentation. YouView's documentation is terrible.
    Nick4 said:

TBH we're all target customers as we've bought the box Smiley. I didn't mean to cause any offence with the term bud, just that as the RRP of the retail box is over £200 certain functionalities should really come as standard these days. Fingers crossed that the dev team get them done and released when ready.
    The latest update was handy but is there any progress on the above user requests?

Surely the Youview dev team is traditionally organised to have both IPTV/provider support as well as a dedicated base support (bug fix/user request) team. Its a simple matter of parallel developnent management where any finished code is merged with the new features/IPTV then system/release acceptance tested before live deployment.
    Is there any update on these feature requests? Changes to the YouView box seem few and far between these days apart from minor updates - any chance of an early Christmas present for us users?
    Nick4 said:

Is there any update on these feature requests? Changes to the YouView box seem few and far between these days apart from minor updates - any chance of an early Christmas present for us users?

Any updates about these user feature requests?
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 2 December 2013, 9:11PM
    Nick4 said:

Still nothing???? :-(
    Bump. I would like an update on this...
    Nick4 said:

Bump. I would like an update on this...

Further to my "bump" just now I would like to hear from the actual development team about the reasons behind why they can't implement such easy wins with the user experience. I paid a helluva lot of money for a retail box that was marketed as top-end but if people can buy far cheaper or more powerful Freeview+ boxes then what's the point of YouView?

Yes we can now view/record IPTV channels but only on BT and TalkTalk boxes - not all of them. Same goes with additional content - not counting the cobbled version of NowTV.

I purposely chose the simplest fixes from the long list of user rrquests - for example concatenating video files is extremely easy - but the development team still drags their heels. And they better not reply with the rhetoric "demographically the YouView customer just wants to catch up TV" rubbish as the box is marked as high end and we expect advanced features along with basic givens.

Sorry about the rant but my old development team could have got ALL these minor fixes done as a separate development stream in one month or less.
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Any update about all these requests? Doubtful we'll get any further news until after Christmas now...
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Nick4 said:

Any update about all these requests? Doubtful we'll get any further news until after Christmas now...

Hi Nick, at this moment I can't provide specific feedback on the feature requests you have mentioned. We are planning on adding additional features and functions with upcoming updates.

If I am able to share any specifics information in the new year regarding additional features I will update on here.

Phil
    Nick4 said:

Thanks Phil. I strongly recommend that you pressure the development team to target small changes like these as they would make using the youview box more easier and would justify the high retail price.
    Considering that we have now started to get Jan14 rolled out to all boxes which makes it easier for future updates - is there any chance of a road map being shown that details when fixes/features like these will be done?
    Nick4 said:

Considering that we have now started to get Jan14 rolled out to all boxes which makes it easier for future updates - is there any chance of a road map being shown that details when fixes/features like these will be done?

None whatsoever. I wish YouView's attitude to its forum users was utter contempt, because at least then we'd be treated better than we are being now :-(
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Nick4 said:

No, unfortunately not. But unlike Roy, I think the Mod feedback on here is quite proactive where they can be. Far more than some on other forums. But this is only my opinion, which no doubt others may/will disagree with. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Nick4 said:

Those who have yet to put a toe on the water may understandably be seduced by YouView's blandishments to "Come on in, the water's lovely".

Those already in the water know how unexpectedly cold it actually is.
    Nick4 said:

Forgive my opaqueness. I was talking about Mod feedback on the forum. I'll get my coat.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Nick4 said:

Oh, I agree the Mods on here are much better than on other forums. On those, they simply don't tell you anything. On here, they do actually post to tell you they can't tell you anything :-)
    Nick4 said:

LOL! You'll probably get all the new stuff soon and before they tell you too.  

It's that time of month again!  Any updates *at all* from YouView about the merest possibility of a remotest chance that the suggestions mentioned in this post might see the light of day sometime this century?  The YouView platform must mature and develop or else it will die a death at the hands of all the upcoming - cheaper - on demand platforms and will just be another subsidised PVR box from BT/TalkTalk (which it is already slowing becoming).