Implement manufacturer specific sub-menu

Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM in Archived Posts
One of the parts of the base specification allows for manufacturer specific features to be part of one of the menus.

If this were implemented, a number of queries and grumbles about, particularly, the Humax models could be addressed without having YouView reject ideas because including options in the standard interface would not apply to other makes.

Among these additional options for Humax machines might be control over the brightness of the ring LEDs, the ability to display time on the display of the T1000 and recording to a USB external hard drive for backup/release space purposes (playback from such a device is in the base specifications all YouView boxes are supposed to be able to do to comply with the published base specs).

Comments

• sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    What would be in it for Humax? They sell most of their Youview boxes to BT, not to retail buyers.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    They have far more important features to address first. Such as getting the new IPTV live channel services launched. And then all the new USP's too.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    Humax have obviously done a deal with BT to supply their remaining stocks of the DTR T1000 with BT stickers slapped on the front. Some of these are even reported to be turning up in DRG stores (Currys Digital and PC World) The new DTR T1010 is their current retail model even though it is simply a rebox from the legacy black case also used for their HDR Fox T2. Consequently, all current Humax models could have these options.

The BT boxes are bog standard T1000s except a BT app is pushed to them if they are connected to a BT broadband. Again, that could be done with any box of any make - I believe BT originally had a provisional supply contract with either Pace or Technicolor who were originally planning to bring out their own YV boxes. For some reason both thought better of it.

Software development for the IPTV live channel protocol is, presumably being done by either BT or YouView - likely the latter however box specific firmware can be developed by the manufacturer. Presumably initially BT connected boxes will be sent the IPTV update on a selective basis in the same way they were initially excluded from the April general update schedule.

Humax have the Linux routines for both recording to and playback from USB devices from the HDR Fox T2 so the actual amount of new coding would be minimal.

The blockage for allowing individual maker's extra features must be down to YouView for the time being insisting that each and every model has exactly the same look and feel in use. That givers makers very little incentive to bring out YouView boxes as they will not have a "unique selling point" apart from the size of the hard drive and how pretty the thing looks.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Lbear1 said:

Humax have obviously done a deal with BT to supply their remaining stocks of the DTR T1000 with BT stickers slapped on the front. Some of these are even reported to be turning up in DRG stores (Currys Digital and PC World) The new DTR T1010 is their current retail model even though it is simply a rebox from the legacy black case also used for their HDR Fox T2. Consequently, all current Humax models could have these options.

The BT boxes are bog standard T1000s except a BT app is pushed to them if they are connected to a BT broadband. Again, that could be done with any box of any make - I believe BT originally had a provisional supply contract with either Pace or Technicolor who were originally planning to bring out their own YV boxes. For some reason both thought better of it.

Software development for the IPTV live channel protocol is, presumably being done by either BT or YouView - likely the latter however box specific firmware can be developed by the manufacturer. Presumably initially BT connected boxes will be sent the IPTV update on a selective basis in the same way they were initially excluded from the April general update schedule.

Humax have the Linux routines for both recording to and playback from USB devices from the HDR Fox T2 so the actual amount of new coding would be minimal.

The blockage for allowing individual maker's extra features must be down to YouView for the time being insisting that each and every model has exactly the same look and feel in use. That givers makers very little incentive to bring out YouView boxes as they will not have a "unique selling point" apart from the size of the hard drive and how pretty the thing looks.

And you have not listened to one word I have said. Pity.

Mind you, your not the first to ask for new features to be added. Why don't you add your thoughts to the list of consolidated improvements thread started and maintained by Keith?
    edited 19 May 2013, 8:17PM
    Lbear1 said:

In case you have not noticed in this forum there is a box at the top of the page to indicate the popularity of a particular idea to give YouView an idea of the demand for new features. That would not be possible if I had take up your suggestion.

The above comment related mainly to Sam's worries however I also addressed your point about USPs for manufacturers rather than simply for generic YouView which is at the moment a major disincentive for other makers to bring a box to market.

What I am suggesting is that YouView implement another item in the base specification that they have yet to. Surely ensuring all boxes comply with this is rather more important that faffing about with things like an iPlayer app which is not a USP but a "copy Sky" attempt.
    The above comment related mainly to Sam's worries however I also addressed your point about USPs for manufacturers rather than simply for generic YouView which is at the moment a major disincentive for other makers to bring a box to market.
    :-)

You thought I was worried about Humax's business model? That does make me smile.
    edited 19 May 2013, 8:35PM
    sam1 said:

You thought I was worried about Humax's business model? That does make me smile.Perhaps I should have used "point" rather than "worries" but you did ask what was in it for Humax. ;-)
    edited 19 May 2013, 8:52PM
    sam1 said:

You thought I was worried about Humax's business model? That does make me smile.I think you should google 'rhetorical question'
    Peter Wells 15 minutes ago
    Perhaps I should have used "point" rather than "worries" but you did ask what was in it for Humax. ;-)
    I believe YouView's road has been mapped out for at least the next eighteen months, prioritised with getting all the new services onto the platform as soon as possible.

I also believe that once YouView achieves full launch capacity it will obtain user numbers in the millions, from all the ISP's that will be offering it.

Flipping 'eck. I sound like NASA! Smiley
    I also believe that once YouView achieves full launch capacity it will obtain user numbers in the millions, from all the ISP's that will be offering it.
    I'd be sorry to see that happen. It would be a nuisance for those who prefer to use Youview independent of their ISP.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    sam1 said:

I'd be sorry to see that happen. It would be a nuisance for those who prefer to use Youview independent of their ISP.For the minority that want that, of course that will be available. But sam, why do you call such ISP provided boxes/services a nuisance?
    Because I don't want a pay TV service. I prefer Freeview+catchup, supplemented from time to time by PPV movies. I don't want my ISP sending config files to my PVR.
    sam a minute ago
    Because I don't want a pay TV service. I prefer Freeview+catchup, supplemented from time to time by PPV movies. I don't want my ISP sending config files to my PVR.
    Thats exactly the way YouView will be. But if you connect to a YV ISP, like BT or TT, they'll just add one extra app to your menu, thats all. You won't have to activate it.
    Nope, don't want it.

But the chances are the box will be superceded (chez moi) before it gets to that point.