Automatic software update May 2013

RachelRachel Posts: 46Member
edited 6 August 2017, 11:19PM in Announcements
New software for the YouView Humax box is now available for Retail and BT customers. This will be a phased roll out over the next few weeks, so some boxes will receive this software sooner than others. For more information for your BT YouView box please visit: www.bt.com/help/YouView

This software is a maintenance release for Humax YouView boxes and fixes:
• Occasional instances of boxes failing to update correctly and reporting
incorrect software versions.
• To prevent boxes freezing occasionally when attempting to record two
programmes broadcast on different multiplexes containing a large number of
channels.

You can check if you have the latest version by pressing the YouView button on your remote control, navigate to Settings > System Information > Software Versions.

For those boxes that have already received the update you will see the following:
Manufacturer Software: 12.7.10
Component Software: 1.4.10
Platform configuration: 451
ISP Configuration: (varies by ISP)

If your box displays different software versions, please be patient, this is a phased roll out so your box may not have received the update yet.

Comments

• BrbBrb Posts: 65Member
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Have the update.

Any particular reason my platform configuration is 450 ?
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2015, 3:18PM
    Brb said:

Have the update.

Hi. The platform config versions are not significant in this case. They both have the same features but it was easier to package the new software update with a config version change to help the software teams involved in this release.

Did you just check for software and reboot? And can you double check the software versions? (the previous Manufacturer software version for Humax was 12.7.0, this one is 12.7.10, so just the last digits changed)

thanks.
  • BrbBrb Posts: 65Member
    edited 21 May 2013, 1:52PM
    Brb said:

Have the update.

*slaps forehead* D'OH!

Thanks Piers haha (sorry).
    Brb said:

Have the update.

No problem. I did exactly the same thing last week! Your box should update tonight, or right now if you do a manual check.
  • northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    Updated ... everything seems fine !
  • antonydavanzoantonydavanzo Posts: 1Member
    edited 21 May 2013, 5:08PM
    Thank you to the youview team for getting this sorted quickly.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Posts: 296Member
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:17PM
    Rachel,

would this update

"To prevent boxes freezing occasionally when attempting to record two
    channels"

be some explanation of the problems some have found on this thread

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

as it would shed light on the problem I've had trying to record both Pick TV & Channel 5+1 at the same time.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Posts: 741Member
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Once again an update announcement includes "This will be a phased roll out over the next few weeks" without giving details of the timetabling criteria.

So yet again we are going to have the YouView equivalent of the kids in the back of the car asking "are we there yet?" as users check, find their box is still on the previous version and think something is wrong.

I realize that some boxes like the BT Humax boxes have problems but having the roll-out criteria to check that your box should have been updated according to the schedule would actually identify those problems earlier.
    Lbear1 said:

Once again an update announcement includes "This will be a phased roll out over the next few weeks" without giving details of the timetabling criteria.

So yet again we are going to have the YouView equivalent of the kids in the back of the car asking "are we there yet?" as users check, find their box is still on the previous version and think something is wrong.

I realize that some boxes like the BT Humax boxes have problems but having the roll-out criteria to check that your box should have been updated according to the schedule would actually identify those problems earlier.

Hi Peter. YouView, and our ISP partners always roll-out software in a controlled way to help our customer service team, and the teams at Humax, BT etc.

Some releases have very few new features or just bug fixes, and can be deployed faster. This 'May' release is one of those, and it's already available for all Humax retail boxes. BT have more customers to manage so it's not available to all boxes today, but they'll be working as fast as they can to get the update out.
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 391Member
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    @Peter This may well be true, however there are some of us on the Huawei/TT side of the fence who look on with envious eyes. Realize this is a patch on a patch release for Humax, but two updates in two months??....... When TT/Huawei get nothing...Think yourselves lucky .....

(For those who know I left, well yes, to badly paraphrase Arnie, I am back.
    Took more of a sabbatical than a permanent leave of absence, to see if manners improved. Seems they have.
    As can be seen on another thread Roy is even quoting Latin, so its got all cosmopolitan here lol)
    Simon12 said:

@Peter This may well be true, however there are some of us on the Huawei/TT side of the fence who look on with envious eyes. Realize this is a patch on a patch release for Humax, but two updates in two months??....... When TT/Huawei get nothing...Think yourselves lucky .....

Took more of a sabbatical than a permanent leave of absence, to see if manners improved. Seems they have.
    As can be seen on another thread Roy is even quoting Latin, so its got all cosmopolitan here lol)

Good to have you back Simon. We also think things have improved, and we'll soon be joined by a couple more people from the YouView technical team to help out here.

Regarding TalkTalk releases - yes, we all know that they're slightly behind but their teams and Huawei's are doing a lot to catch up right now.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Simon12 said:

Simon - welcome back. As you liked the Latin, I've popped in another one for you to find :-)
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • John7John7 Posts: 57Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 8:47AM
    Lbear1 said:

I got the email notification this morning and when checked my box (Humax Retail) I was surprised to see it had already been updated overnight - normally I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get the updates.
  • Simon12Simon12 Posts: 391Member
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    Simon12 said:

Cheers all.
    @Roy - ah the old 'buyer beware' chestnut - got to love that one.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,346Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Simon12 said:

People who are worried about stuff getting burnt into their screen might well 'cave canem' :-)
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Simon12 said:

Inimicus inimici mei amicus meus est. Resaluta, Simon! image
  • AxolotlAxolotl Posts: 53Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Can someone explain what the display "Software last updated" date means?

It obviusly doesn't mean the software has been updated, as I have a BT Humax box and it currently says "Software last updated 21 May 2013", and it also used to say 5 May 2013, but the version details are still 10.6.0, and 1,3,4 so I haven't received the May update yet. (Better hurry up BT or it won't be there before the inevitable June update).

I assume it may be the last time the box checked for an update? If that is the case, why doesn't it say so, to avoid confusion?
    Axolotl said:

It obviusly doesn't mean the software has been updated, as I have a BT Humax box and it currently says "Software last updated 21 May 2013", and it also used to say 5 May 2013, but the version details are still 10.6.0, and 1,3,4 so I haven't received the May update yet. (Better hurry up BT or it won't be there before the inevitable June update).

I assume it may be the last time the box checked for an update? If that is the case, why doesn't it say so, to avoid confusion?

Hi Axolotl. The software update date also includes configuration updates, and BT have made some changes over the last few weeks.

I agree that it's confusing if you're waiting for a software update but we can't report each update separately right now. Most customers don't even look at this screen so it's designed to be as simple as possible.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,616Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Simon12 said:

Amen to that, brother. And welcome back Simon. Smiley
  • RachelRachel Posts: 46Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 11:52AM

Rachel,

would this update

"To prevent boxes freezing occasionally when attempting to record two
    channels"

be some explanation of the problems some have found on this thread

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

as it would shed light on the problem I've had trying to record both Pick TV & Channel 5+1 at the same time.

Hi lloydoflondon

This update would prevent the problems you have experienced when trying to record Both Pick TV and Channel5+1 at the same time. The problems on the thread you highlighted are linked more with play back of recordings and these are currently under investigation with our Tech teams
  • NickyNicky Posts: 1Member
    edited 15 June 2013, 3:45PM
    I have two boxes that were updated last night. Both pictures on two different TV's now have a pink tinge.

I assume this is down to the update, but don't know how to fix it.
  • Paul B1Paul B1 Posts: 17Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 12:26PM
    Axolotl said:

As there are only three types of boxes, Retail, TT and BT, don't really see why they can't be announced exactly that way. My box also claims to have updated twice in May, but still has the same s/w as it had in April, so these announcements do just confuse customers.
    Axolotl said:

That's a good point Paul. I'll pass that feedback to our operations team. It may be easier to announce only YouView retail boxes here, and leave the comms to BT and TalkTalk for their boxes, as we don't have enough information to give precise updates here.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Posts: 53Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 1:03PM
    Axolotl said:

If you leave the commnications to BT that would result in absolutely no communications at all.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,616Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Axolotl said:

Thats a very bad idea, Piers. And I say that as a BT customer.
    Axolotl said:

Ok - maybe that's not a good idea :) Let's say that we'll try to find the right balance. Some things are under our control and some things require that we co-ordinate with other partners, and therefore the information might not be complete or timely.
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 1:27PM
    Axolotl said:

I am sure there must be a form a words that make it clearer. Run a competion to find the best?
  • alal Posts: 1,302Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    I got the pink tinge for the first time yesterday too. I switched the TV and YV off then on and all was ok.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 345Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 2:01PM
    al said:

I got the pink tinge for the first time yesterday too. I switched the TV and YV off then on and all was ok.

I find that just switching YouView off and on again with the remote is enough.
  • RachelRachel Posts: 46Member
    edited 22 May 2013, 2:16PM
    It's possible that the pink screens occur for some people just after any update. As both Al and Cicero mentioned turning off the box and TV, waiting a minute, before turning back on may help