YouView GUI judders slightly with remote control key press

AndyAndy Posts: 19Member
edited 25 May 2017, 4:37PM in Archived Posts
When viewing any menu, and then when navigating around the menu options, there is a slight judder of the screen with each key press of the remote control.

The screen returns to the original position every time and moves no more than a line or 2 on my CRT TV. Not that annoying, and movement is only slight, but I can only assume that it's not designed to do it and so could be classed as a problem.

I'm using a SCART connection and have observed this with all software versions that I'm aware of since acquiring the box around November 2012, including the latest May update.

Update: 31/05/13
Occasionally, the screen will also judder without user interaction, but only very occasionally. It should also be noted that I've had 2 boxes (1 Humax branded BT box and now a BT branded BT box), both of which exhibit this defect.

Update: 04/08/13
The Shudder/judder only occurs when watching live TV. If paused or when watching from the buffer as little as a few seconds delayed, then the judder does not happen

Comments

• Andy10Andy10 Posts: 24Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Update: 12/12/13
    New (3rd Box from BT) with 15.11.0 - Problem still there. Still using SCART connection
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Do you get the judder when watching the TV directly? i.e. is the TV reacting to its own attempts to make sense of remote signals not intended for it?
    Off travelling for a while... internet patchy to non-existent....
    edited 12 December 2013, 5:14PM
    Hi Roy,

Thanks for showing an interest :)

There is no judder under normal conditions when watching the TV from youview (Old TV prevents direct viewing). It only occurs when I initiate any of the menu items, and then only when the live feed in the small preview window is active.

It mostly happens when I navigate the menus with the remote, although I have since noticed it judder to a lesser extent by itself although I'm unsure if I may have imagined this. 

I do not believe the TV is reacting to the remote signals not intended for it due to the following...

If I pause live TV prior to entering any of the menus such that the preview window shows a still picture, the judder does not happen. If I pause the live TV and then wait a few seconds and play from the buffer and then enter the menu, the judder does not happen even though the preview window now shows a motion picture. The 'wait a few seconds' is probably immaterial. I expect the important point is that it is from the buffer.

Hi Andy

You've had 3 YouView box boxes that all do the same, and no one else has reported this as far as I know.

Do you think it might be down to your TV, either specifically that make/model, or even just your set?

Or even possibly that it's a CRT vs flatscreen thing, as I'd be surprised if YouView boxes are ever tested with CRT sets.

So if they provoke some effect due to the differing technology of CRT screen scanning, they are unlikely ever to notice this, and even less likely to address a 4:3(?) CRT issue in a 16:9 pixel-based screen world :-(
    I must admit, it could well be the TV given the lack of similar reports. Incidently, it's a 16:9 flat screen, but a CRT none the less.

I was just intrigued that the fault is only apparent under special conditions. I would have expected the fault to be always there if it were a TV issue, although my knowledge of CRT's is sketchy and I can't prove it out with only the one CRT.

I guess I just need to update my set lol.

Cheers for the chat :)
    edited 2 October 2014, 3:33PM
    Andy10 said:

New (3rd Box from BT) with 15.11.0 - Problem still there. Still using SCART connection

Update: 02/10/14
    Just to close this topic - I have had a LED backlit LCD 1080p panel with HDMI input for a while now and the judder has disappeared. So it is obviously related to either SCART or CRT's or both in combination. Either way, it's not an issue for me now.

This is true for my 3rd box as mentioned above, but also with my new 4th box over the last week or 2, and then only a day later my new 5th and supposedly upgraded T2100 G4 box. Lets hope I have more reliability with this one!
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    Andy10 said:

Appreciate you getting back to us on that Andy. Let us know if you have any other issues. 
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Andy10 said:

I must admit, it could well be the TV given the lack of similar reports. Incidently, it's a 16:9 flat screen, but a CRT none the less.

I was just intrigued that the fault is only apparent under special conditions. I would have expected the fault to be always there if it were a TV issue, although my knowledge of CRT's is sketchy and I can't prove it out with only the one CRT.

Hi Andy

Glad you got an LED digital set that doesn't do the judder.

But two more YouView boxes even since?

What are you doing to them?

Or perhaps, what are they doing to you? :-)
    edited 2 October 2014, 9:57PM
    Andy10 said:

Not sure if I should laugh or cry sometimes :-)

BT are obliged to replace each and every one (which they have), so that's a saving grace, except I now feel obliged to keep paying £5, which I would rather not :-(

The most recent set of failures started with me powering everything off to install a nice corner unit to go with the new tv. When plugging everything back in it failed to boot. The new one lasted a few hours after the engineer left with nothing more than a standby power cycle.

The engineer suggested that slow broadband speed coupled with power line communication adapters, further slowing down the speed, could be to blame. Apparently the boxes don't handle slow speeds that well when talking to servers and updating themselves.

The engineer said that BT no longer supply PLA's with new installations for this reason and recommend laying cables everywhere. That's not for me though, and because I'm a legacy install, they need to support what they supplied, even if that means replacing them 5 times or more until they can get a more stable platform. Everything about my install is what I would consider normal as well.

It's just occurred to me that I may have ranted a bit, but I feel better for it :-)