Missing Teletext

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 September 2017, 11:10PM
    Visionman said:

Of course the work around to still get text on a YouView box is to switch to a radio channel and then press the red button. 

Are you stating you haven't even tried it? Bit poor that Steve, so try it for yourself and see. Access say, tomorrows football fixtures or the horse racing results.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 8:00AM
    Visionman said:

Of course the work around to still get text on a YouView box is to switch to a radio channel and then press the red button. 

Steve K - You don't like the new BBC red button service on the BBC TV channels on YouView , so why not use the old red button service on your FreeView TV?
  • Steve KSteve K Member Posts: 295
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:45AM
    Visionman said:

Because not every room I pipe the YouView feed to has a Freeview TV but they do have remote control extender functionality

It's not the greatest functional loss but it's another example of YouView removing features by stealth from existing customers using the "we decided we know better than you how you use you box and anyway we don't care" mentality.  And that mentality has to end.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:51AM
    Visionman said:

Visionman:  "Are you stating you haven't even tried it? Bit poor that Steve, so try it for yourself and see. Access say, tomorrows football fixtures or the horse racing results"

Of course I tried it.  Did you actually read the question?  Seems not

You can get text with the radio feed but NOT with the TV picture and sound feed as seemingly every other freeview receiver in the world does.

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:17AM
    Visionman said:

"Because not every room I pipe the YouView feed to has a Freeview TV but they do have remote control extender functionality"

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 1:15PM
    Visionman said:

There was a link put up in the BT Care Forums, this is it, https://live.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttonfaq
    The first answer states:

"not everyone has a connected TV and the standard Red Button service is still very much alive and kicking and available from the majority of digital televisions without an internet connection "

So basically it was a BBC decision and is the reason I feel it will eventually be pushed on all platforms, especially as they've already said recently that they are looking at 'ordinary' teletext being fully superceded by the Connected Red Button service.

As for checking football scores etc while watching BBC News (your example), I can do that with the Connected Red Button service, along with browsing news and sport in general, and still listen to the news.

edited 9 September 2017, 1:53PM
    Visionman said:

I really like the red button+ shadow (see through) menu, whereby one can browse text (and I mean just text) and still get the full sound and picture (a picture which is as clear as day). I wish the EPG transparity was like that.
    edited 9 September 2017, 5:23PM
    Visionman said:

It's slow as hell clunkware here (another YouView doesn't do DTRT-1000 issue?) the screen transparency is very poor and no substitute for a normal text mini picture, the data available is a subset of that on normal text and navigating to it is really awkward

On a decent worthy of its name Freeview receiver I just press text followed by 240 OK and I have the current currencies and all the time I can see a full picture.  Can I do that with the interweb powered red button?  No.  Maybe they designed it for those who struggle remembering numbers

What we have here is another piece of YouView deciding they know better than their customers how their customers actually use things so they decide to delete functionality.  A strong suspicion is they know their bloatware is running out of resources so had to do something.

Can anyone name another platform that deleted the Freeview Text?
    edited 9 September 2017, 6:32PM
    Visionman said:

Translated -
    I HATE YouView and YOU are not allowed to post otherwise.

edited 9 September 2017, 7:02PM
    Visionman said:

Perhaps you might actually respond to what it posted.  It does get tiresome seeing anyone pointing out errors by YouView having their views misrepresented.

Lets try another question:

Can anyone point out where YouView came to this forum and said "we are thinking of deleting the text function on existing users boxes, what does the Community think?"

Just asking like, is it so unreasonable to ask questions?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 7:07PM
    Visionman said:

Nothing to do with YouView, it was the BBC. Try Google. Or if you don't have that where you live let us know.
    edited 9 September 2017, 7:13PM
    Visionman said:

"Nothing to do with YouView, it was the BBC."
    Said user has been told this multiple times by many different people.
    He just ignores them.
    edited 9 September 2017, 7:39PM
    Visionman said:

redchiz: "Nothing to do with YouView, it was the BBC. Try Google. Or if you don't have that where you live let us know."

So IF it was the BBC wot dunnit, how strange that it still works on my Freeview enabled TV, standalone FreeView box etc.  How interesting that despite the question being posed, no one has named another Freeview box where that text function doesn't work

And Google finds loads of reports of this issue with in response attempts to fob people off with that Red Button subset service.  

And Visionman no I don't ignore those replies but if they are untrue I may just point that out.  Perhaps you recall when someone said I could watch BBC1 on a radio channel.
    edited 9 September 2017, 8:01PM
    Visionman said:

It was the BBC, no "if" about it.

You obviously haven't bothered to check. Or maybe consider how BBC services work generally and the technical changes they make. A world class broadcast organisation that supports its products across more devices, platforms and apps than anyone else and sometimes has to make choices about dropping/changing functionality because their budget is being reduced like never before.

So carry on with "reports of this issue" if you like. Because people do moan about change, I get that. But your Google search strategy could be better.
    edited 9 September 2017, 8:40PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K - this is a BBC decision. Do you acknowledge That? 
    edited 9 September 2017, 8:43PM
    Visionman said:

redchiz: You are plain wrong on this

Either that or I'm imagining that I can see this below on my FreeView television.  It's page 240 a few minutes ago and it shows text information from the BBC .  Even more interestingly it shows a page that the Red Button service does not provide - hence that is asI described a subset.

The only people stopping people viewing pages like that pic are YouView.  

edited 9 September 2017, 8:47PM
    Visionman said:

Visionman: "Steve K - this is a BBC decision. Do you acknowledge That? "

No as the pic above proves.  The BBC have made noises about discontinuing that service at some point in the future.  Just like they said they would discontinue FM radio by 2015 but quietly buried that idea.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:01PM
    Visionman said:

So YouView provided the BBCs text service and then just withdrew it? 
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:14PM
    Visionman said:

Steve K you are plain wrong on this. Google is your friend. The fact that the BBC are supporting their old service on non-updated devices is a credit to them.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:35PM
    Visionman said:

So go on can you post up a press release by the BBC saying the service is terminated?

Oh and tell us why it is better to only have a service that doesn't have pages like the one pictured?

or why YouView is the only known FreeView receiver that has removed the processing of Text from TV channels?

because Ockham's Razor says go with the simplest explanation.  YouView deleted it for no good reason.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:42PM
    Visionman said:

There's only one thing worse than a troll and that's a lazy troll with attitude. Look it up for yourself, the information is out there as you have been told several times.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:43PM
    Visionman said:

An interesting BBC link:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttonfaq/#faqitem-3-10
    10: Is BBC Red Button+ replacing BBC Red Button?
    No, even though the number of connected TVs is growing quickly, the original Red Button service remains hugely popular, so it will be around for some time.
    Red Button+ is just the next step, combining the best BBC content with the advantages of internet-connected TVs
    It also quite clearly explains (see Q8)  that the internet based Red Button+ text service that YouView supports has less information than the Text/RB service that YouView deleted.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:46PM
    Visionman said:

redchiz:  you appear to be saying that someone who has patiently and politely posted the truth is a "troll" and others that have posted a series of false information and hostile posts are just great

Do you not think you've got this about face?
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:51PM
    Visionman said:

I think we all know what a troll is. Well done for finally finding the BBC FAQs though. If you can find one that points to YouView removing the text service do hasten to let us know.
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:56PM
    Visionman said:

I don't have to.  Everyone knows YouView no longer supports it on the TV channels and they are the only box to have withdrawn it
    edited 9 September 2017, 9:59PM
    Visionman said:

Visionman: "So YouView provided the BBCs text service and then just withdrew it?"

More accurate to say they supported display of the BBC's text service on TV channels and then just withdrew it.

Do you accept that to be true?
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:06PM
    Visionman said:

The very definition of a troll.
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:09PM
    Visionman said:

Solitarily arguing the toss about an issue whilst ignoring all factual evidence and calling out other contributors, the very definition of a troll.
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:18PM
    Visionman said:

Excuse me for posting facts.  Please say which evidence I have ignored?  Would that be:

- the falsehood about supposedly being able to watch BBC1 while viewing text?
    - the falsehood that it was supposedly the BBC that ended the service?

feel free to post some links or even quotes where I have supposedly ignored facts to back your case because right now it looks like you just think anyone that asks awkward questions is evil.

Truth will always out redchiz.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,389 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2017, 10:30PM
    Visionman said:

Qu 4 there is interesting:-

4. Can I access both Red Button Services?

If your TV or Set Top Box supported the original Red Button service then you can continue to use this by pressing the ‘text’ button instead of ‘red’ on your remote control. Note that the original Red Button was not available on TiVo or YouView devices.

(My emphasis)

So the reason YouView doesn't have Red Button is that it never had it in the first place.

(If you believe that assertion by the BBC, that is)*

But we all (including me) rather think that YouView did have it. So we have two choices here:-

(i) The BBC have got it wrong;

(ii) YouView had something that looked like Red Button, worked like Red Button, but wasn't Red Button as the BBC understood it.

Knowing some of the hoops that YouView jumped through to get stuff working, I would not dismiss Option (ii) out of hand.

But I do think we need YouView to comment on Qu 4, and maybe take it further with the BBC, with a view both to correcting that answer if it is wrong, and correcting any issues that arise from any incorrectness here, such as restoring the Red Button functionality when we press 'Text' on a TV channel. As hopefully any hoops there were in CurrentGen are gone in NextGen.

*It's always a crapshoot as to what definitively correct information Steve K will ignore, or twist the meaning of until it is unrecognisable, and what wildly unreliable and often incorrect information he will take as gospel.

Though consideration of his worldview, and his agenda, is usually a good predictor here.

But the rest of us should carefully evaluate the above on its merits, and see where it leads.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris