I would like more channel tuning information, please

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Discussion
Trying to help Ian Scott with his poor YouView signal problem from Rowridge, I find that there seems to be no information provided at all on where a given Freeview channel is being sourced from.

The tuning process simply glides along with no indication of what 'analogue' channel/mux it has reached, and nor of how many, or what, Freeview channels it has acquired in this process.

My several TVs in the house all reveal this information, in varying degrees of detail, as they tune.

Further, when you've got the channels, you can't see any more technical detail than signal strength/quality. Again, my several TVs give varying amounts of additional information, with as a minimum the 'analogue' channel the signal is coming from.

As Ian asks, is there possibly a 'technical' menu, reached via a secret handshake, where this can be found? And if not, can it please be provided to us?

I know that YouView are trying to keep everything simple, and hide all that technical stuff under the hood, but the quid pro quo for that is that tuning has to work so seamlessly in all instances that nobody ever needs this information.

But when a not infrequent complaint on here, as in Ian's case, is that the YouView box seems to have tuned itself to a manifestly inferior set of channels than the poster's TV, this quid pro quo is clearly not being met; and as things stand at present, further investigation to discover even what the box has done, let alone why, is simply impossible.
‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Roy - as you say, given the number of accounts of tuning issues, being able to see/access more info about what the box is doing/has done would be very useful.

I've now picked up this idea within item 53 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests :)
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Roy,

This is not a service we would provide, in this instance the only thing I can advise doing is to look online or perhaps at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ for more specific information.

Phil
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi Roy, Phil,

I think there's been a misunderstanding on our side. We could provide this information in the YouView UI if it was available to us from the Humax channel database but it's not right now, and fixing that would be a significant change. We might be able to take another look once we've got IP channels working.

I agree that this info would help to diagnose a lot of multi-transmitter problems (along with a 100% working mux selection algorithm from Humax and Huawei, and manual tuning when it does go wrong)

Good to have it on Keith's list of features.
  • Alan Smith1Alan Smith1 Member Posts: 37
    edited 18 June 2013, 8:00AM
    Most transmitters are ether in the low bandwidth or High bandwidth. We can find the TV signal strength & quality for each channel in the: Menu - Settings – TV Signal & Quality. The only thing were missing is the ability to manually tune each mux. If you are fortunate enough to receive your best signal for the lower frequency multiplexes you can stop the auto tuning at about 60% and ignore the higher frequencies unfortunately if your main transmitter is in the higher band all you can do is pray for the introduction of manual tuning
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 18 June 2013, 9:26AM
    If you want to get the YV box to only tune to the higher bands, unplug the aerial, start the box tuning, when it gets to half way or so, plug the aerial back in and let it tune. This is hit and miss for sure, but it works.
  • Richard StaplesRichard Staples Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have the same problem between Belmont and Waltham transmitters in 2017!  I suppose I could check the signal strength and retune until I get the strong one on the day :-)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 February 2017, 4:13PM

I have the same problem between Belmont and Waltham transmitters in 2017!  I suppose I could check the signal strength and retune until I get the strong one on the day :-)

Get an attenuator and put it in the aerial chain when tuning.

With luck, it will push the weaker signal down to the point where even a YouView box will reject it, but will still accept the stronger one.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris