Full HD settings- HDMI is not working?

Wayne Bramley1Wayne Bramley1 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2017 in Archived Posts
Hi people, I have the Humax box and today after nearly a year of owning the box and running great, the "Full" light is lit on the front screen and my HDMI isnt working no more, only the Scart works
I have changed the settings from 720p, 1080i, which didnt work. My TV is a old Samsung LE23R71B which does not have freeview built in and only works up to 1080i Not 1080p

I have tested the HDMI port on the TV with my PS3 and that works fine (TV only has 1 HDMI Port)
I have also used a different HDMI lead and having no more luck with this.

Box has current May 2013 software on there.

I dont really want to do a factory restore as i got a fair amount of stuff recorded on the box i dont want to lose.

Any help would be great.

thanks

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Try a soft rest be touching and holding the Standby button on the front of the box for eight seconds or so.

(I should put that on a hot-key to save me typing it over and over and over ... as it is so often the first thing to try to resolve so many issues)
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Wayne. "Full" just means Full HD (1080i/p) which usually means that your TV has negotiated that resolution. It's strange that it's just stopped working now. As gomez says, first try rebooting the box by holding down the front panel button.

You can also reset the box to factory state but still keep recordings.

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/how...

Use either the "Factory reset, keep recordings" or "Internet / USB Recovery, keep recordings" options.
  • Wayne Bramley1Wayne Bramley1 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2013
    Hi Guys, i have tried the 8 second reset and that made no change, ive done the USB/Internet recovery mentioned above and that didnt do anything to the box, ill try it again and see how it goes with only HDMI on. as i did this with both HDMi and scart plugged in.

I have even used my Xbox HDMI lead i have been using in the PS3 (Xbox on component as tv only has 1 hdmi) this has made no difference.

When it firsts turns on it says "Humax" on the HDMI and then when it goes to youview screen i get "No Signal" even when the box is in maintenance mode.

Any ideas?
    Are you able to back up all the content on the hard drive and re import it?

thanks.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It says Humax at 576i, so your HDMI is working at this stage, at that resolution. But then the box ramps up to your chosen 720/1080/i/p setting, at which point you lose it.

As the cable works and the port works (though what resolution does the PS3 negotiate, can you tell?), it all points to the YouView box being the issue, assuming the PS3 gets to HD. But can you possibly try it round a mate's house, to be sure?

And no, you can't back up your recordings, alas, and any provision for backup needs a corresponding option to restore, which isn't there either. Something which, given the YouView box's disappointing record for reliability, should perhaps now be expedited on YouView's roadmap going forward.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited June 2013

Hi Guys, i have tried the 8 second reset and that made no change, ive done the USB/Internet recovery mentioned above and that didnt do anything to the box, ill try it again and see how it goes with only HDMI on. as i did this with both HDMi and scart plugged in.

I have even used my Xbox HDMI lead i have been using in the PS3 (Xbox on component as tv only has 1 hdmi) this has made no difference.

When it firsts turns on it says "Humax" on the HDMI and then when it goes to youview screen i get "No Signal" even when the box is in maintenance mode.

Any ideas?
    Are you able to back up all the content on the hard drive and re import it?

thanks.

I did not have exactly those symptoms, but i had most of the symptoms you have, nothing I did, including a full factory reset which meant loosing my recordings would fix it, I had to get my T1000 replaced.
    edited June 2013
    Right, think im closer to fixing this.

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/aut...

The new update was released the other day and i think this is causing it to go **** up as there are HDMI changed to the box in the new update.

Is there a way i can install an OLDER version of the firmware via USB or something?

...Also i have tried this on a 1080p TV and it does the same as it does on my old 23" samsung (this was a 32" 6 month old samsung)

thanks.
    edited February 2017
    Hi Wayne. The software was only released last night (automatically) and most boxes won't have it yet, so I think you're still on the May software. There were no planned HDMI changes in that release but some people are seeing HDMI aspect ratio problems after the update.

Can you post the software versions from Settings>System Informations, and let me know when the software was last updated?

thanks.
    edited June 2013

edited June 2013
    I had done the updates online last night a few time so it may have put the new one one? But still made no improvement

@USB Lead, this is in the back i use to charge me phone overnight (Really handy :-) )

If i remember correctly this is one of the None retail Beta boxes if this helps?
    edited February 2017
    Thanks. Ok - you are on the latest software now, and that means that it's probably been broken on both releases, and it doesn't seem to have occurred just after an update. It's possible that the problem is hardware related. If you've already done a Maintenance Mode reset or recovery, it's probably time to dig out the email from Humax who provided a 1 year warranty which I think is still valid.
    edited June 2013
    Hi Piers,
    Thanks for the speedy comments, ill try and find out the warranty email for this box soon.

But thinking about it when the box is booting up its picking up 720p @ 50hz and 60hz when it says "humax" then the next screen it should say "Youview" its just black (or blue for some screens) then it says no signal.

I have also tried it on 2 other samsung screens, one not very old and the other one just over a year old; Both of which didnt say signal out of range just no signal with a blue or back screen.

UE32EH4000
    LE32C450E1W

One other thing is that where i would normally get a blue screen, i got a "Purple" screen, Not sure if this is the TV or the box that caused this?

Ive done the restore thing mentioned above where i have done the top one Software reset? then the 2 which dont delete my data, Ill give it a few days before i decide to remove all my files from it.

I have also noticed that when its working fine on scart and NOT on HDMI, the Full Light and TV light is lit, then i press the power button and it turns off then the Full light goes away but when i press to turn it on a few seconds later when i have a image and audio on screen the light comes back.

In a nut shell im pointing towards a software issue rather than a hardware as its working on boot up.

Thanks
    edited February 2017

In a nut shell im pointing towards a software issue rather than a hardware as its working on boot up.
    It could be either or both. When the box boots up with the Humax logo it's using a different hardware path and different software to control the output. Things get much more complex when YouView and video are running.
    edited June 2013

Hi Piers,
    Thanks for the speedy comments, ill try and find out the warranty email for this box soon.

But thinking about it when the box is booting up its picking up 720p @ 50hz and 60hz when it says "humax" then the next screen it should say "Youview" its just black (or blue for some screens) then it says no signal.

I have also tried it on 2 other samsung screens, one not very old and the other one just over a year old; Both of which didnt say signal out of range just no signal with a blue or back screen.

UE32EH4000
    LE32C450E1W

One other thing is that where i would normally get a blue screen, i got a "Purple" screen, Not sure if this is the TV or the box that caused this?

Ive done the restore thing mentioned above where i have done the top one Software reset? then the 2 which dont delete my data, Ill give it a few days before i decide to remove all my files from it.

I have also noticed that when its working fine on scart and NOT on HDMI, the Full Light and TV light is lit, then i press the power button and it turns off then the Full light goes away but when i press to turn it on a few seconds later when i have a image and audio on screen the light comes back.

Thanks

From the symptoms you are now describing here, I had the same problems, I agree with you this all suggests it is inherently a software or firmware issue, something has become corrupt, even fully resetting the box did not resolve this problem for me. I had to get a replacement box. Dont waste your time, get the box replaced, mine was also a trial unit.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited June 2013
    If it helps, I believe the Samsungs will accept signals up to 1080p even if they are only capable of a 1080i display. This may be why the Humax is negotiating at 1080p connection.

Pink screen does sometimes happen. Just turn the Humax off and on again and the HDMI connections should be restored. If not, check the HDMI plugs are firnly home and try again.

By the way, remember that the 1 year warranty runs from the date you received the box at the start of the trial. Mine was delayed but I got it on 1 July. If your's arrived earlier, make sure you get your claim in quick.
    edited June 2013
    Hi Peter, My Current samsung is an old one, 2006 maybe? this will only do up to 720P -->1080i at best (1080p wont work)

http://www.hireintelligence.ie/index....

Still need to dig out the email about warranty, not found it yet, but about a week tops left i think?

How did you go about the warranty swap out?

"This software also fixes the following reported issues:
    HDMI CEC TV standby-to-on and source selection feature not working as expected. (Further improvements to HDMI CEC to switch devices to standby/off may be included in a later release)."

^^^^ This is what the June update has done and i feel this is what has caused the problem i have, My TV does not Support HDMI CEC

Only if Youview / Humax would have a few OS Firmware available online to restore back to for testing purposes via USB; For example Initial release 2012, Jan 2013 and any others which may be popular?

Thanks
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Wayne - the warranty swap process is nice and straight forward:

* if a free trial box dig out the email from 23rd August 2013 about the trial end and free 1 year warranty
    * if a trial box dig out the email from when your box was delivered as your effective 'proof of purchase' date otherwise dig out proof of actual purchase date
    * ring Humax on 0844 669 8800, explain the problem and within a couple of minutes they will hopefully agree a replacement is required
    * they will then email you a claim form which you complete and email back with copies of the emails about the 'purchase date' and warranty
    * they get back to you with a courier delivery date (typically about 5 working days from registering the problem although it can be quicker/slower) for the replacement box
    * on the day you hand over the old box (but keep the remote etc) and they give you a replacement
    * plug in the new box and get it setup as you want in a few minutes and then hopefully relax and enjoy a long time of trouble free running from then on :)
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited June 2013
    My warranty swapout happened over Christmas after a lot of arguing about trying unsuccessfully to get information to resurrect recordings deleted as a result of two bugs combining and (I believe) a dodgy hard drive sector adding to the mix.

The Christmas holidays did cause some obvious delays but I did eventually get a brand new retail boxed model in exchange for my trial one.

By the way, emailing is useless as the team answering them were/are not as familiar with the YouView box as the guys on the phone. Those answering emails seem to only have some standardized "boilerplate" responses to queries.
    edited June 2013
    Hi Keith, the only email i can find is the one below:

@ Swapout, would they collect from my work and deliver it back there as no one at home in office hours.

"From: Trials
    Date: 23 August 2012 15:42:09 BST
    To: Trials
    Subject: YouView Trial: Final Information

Dear Triallist,

The YouView trial officially comes to an end today (23rd August). We’d like to take this opportunity to say a big thank-you for all of your input throughout the trial. Your involvement has been vital in getting YouView ready to change the face of TV in the UK.

Your YouView box

As the trial is now ending, we are happy to confirm that your YouView box is now yours to keep. We hope that even though the trial is ending, you will continue to use and enjoy YouView over the coming days, months and years as the platform continues to evolve and bring you more features and content.

If you leave your box in standby overnight it will continue to download updated software. If you prefer not to do that, you can always check yourself by going to Settings>Device Management > Software Update > Get Update.

Humax will provide a 12 month warranty on your trials box, effective from the date that you took delivery. Please note this warranty is only valid for our triallists and is not transferable. This warranty is not eligible for a warranty extension. Products deemed faulty within this warranty period will be collected for repair or exchanged. Should your YouView box become unusable please contact Humax on 0844 669 8800 Mon to Fri from 9:00am to 5:30pm.

Getting help and contacting YouView

Please bear in mind that with the end of the trial also comes the end of the trials support channels that you have been using. We will be closing the trials dedicated website, and the Freephone viewer support telephone number this afternoon. To call our viewer support team after today, please use 0845 099 2910 or visit www.youview.com/support.

Our trusted partners, SPA future thinking who have been managing the surveys and D9D who have been responsible for deliveries, will also no longer be providing support.

The future of you and YouView

In the final trials survey we asked a number of questions regarding keeping in contact with YouView. If you opted to be considered for future trials or to take part in further research with YouView we will be in touch with further details should you be selected.

Online community

With the closure of the Trials website you will no longer be able to access the private trials forum. Your forum contributions have been extremely helpful in identifying problems and collecting feedback and information that will help us shape the product in the long term. We will be launching a new public forum in the coming weeks and already have a holding place for this on our support site. Before this public forum is launched, we will be restructuring the existing private forum. In order to prevent notification emails on posts you have made or are watching, you may wish to set up your email to block messages from the forum.

If you indicated an interest in the final trials survey to continue your participation in a YouView forum we’ll let you know as soon as the public forum is launched.

Thanks once again for making this a hugely successful trial!

Kind Regards,

YouView Trial Team"

More to come on the next post as ive been doing some testing....
    edited June 2013
    Right, Testing.... (Images below)

I used to work for Currys fixing HD TV's so know some of the code / commands to fully factory reset them (Tv off... Info --> Menu --> Mute --> Power for tech menu)

So ive completly restored my TV and tested my Xbox on Component and HDMI at all available display settings.

1080P does not work and i get "Mode not supported" if i over ride the settings on the console, 480P, 720P and 1080i all work fine...

What i have noticed after a factory reset (Keep me data, this is being deleted later tonight as i got a couple of programs to watch) that the box starts up in [b]1080p[/b] and not in a safer option of 720p which would be much better for compatibility for all users.

I have attached pictures below of the how the box boots up and what it defaults to when loading, i have tried it with Just HDMI, Just scart but works better with both plugged in to the TV, You cannot even get to the Recorvery page or setup on HDMI but only scart :S

edited June 2013
    Right, ive done the destructive factory restore and still nothing, but i did notice above it went stright to 1080p and then noticed when i went to change the res it said "No HDMI"
    the HDMI is working fine on the TV, Same cable (more than 2 have been tested) on my Xbox and PS3, but it works on boot till it gets to "youview" screen.

Anyone got any ideas?
    edited June 2013
    Update,
    THis morning the box was working on HDMI (720p), but only the small preview picture in top right on scart.

after ive turned it off and back on again about 20 mins later its gone back to "Full" on the front.

Anyone out there to help?
    edited June 2013

Update,
    THis morning the box was working on HDMI (720p), but only the small preview picture in top right on scart.

after ive turned it off and back on again about 20 mins later its gone back to "Full" on the front.

Anyone out there to help?

You are wasting your time, get a replacement box.
  • Wayne Bramley2Wayne Bramley2 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    @SW Support is closed over the weekend so im trying to see if i can fix it etc...

I did get HDMI working again this morning but it wouldnt let me watch any HD Channels 101-->104

I get Error "YVM607"

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/res...

Going to call them up later after i get in from work.

thanks
    edited June 2013

@SW Support is closed over the weekend so im trying to see if i can fix it etc...

I did get HDMI working again this morning but it wouldnt let me watch any HD Channels 101-->104

I get Error "YVM607"

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/res...

Going to call them up later after i get in from work.

thanks

Understood, if you get to them early this morning and return the form they will email to you quickly enough, you may get the replacement box before the end of this week.
  • JesterJester Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Hey Wayne,

I have probably the same (if not very similar) issue. I have been using You View with my Panasonic TV via an HDMI cable with no problems at all for about 3 months. Then about a week ago it got picky about which order you turn on the you view box and the tv. A day later I couldn't get a picture through HDMI at all, so I had to resort to scart. Via HDMI i don't get anything now when the box is booting up, not even the Humax welcome screen. I've have tried a different HDMI cable and different inputs on the TV, but nothing seems to work. I've also tried the Internet/USB recovery option in maintenance mode and that did nothing too. It does kind of feel like a software issue, but who knows. I am debating trying to get the box replaced, but a) don't want the hassle and b) don't want to loose all our recordings.
    edited June 2013
    Jester said:

Hey Wayne,

I have probably the same (if not very similar) issue. I have been using You View with my Panasonic TV via an HDMI cable with no problems at all for about 3 months. Then about a week ago it got picky about which order you turn on the you view box and the tv. A day later I couldn't get a picture through HDMI at all, so I had to resort to scart. Via HDMI i don't get anything now when the box is booting up, not even the Humax welcome screen. I've have tried a different HDMI cable and different inputs on the TV, but nothing seems to work. I've also tried the Internet/USB recovery option in maintenance mode and that did nothing too. It does kind of feel like a software issue, but who knows. I am debating trying to get the box replaced, but a) don't want the hassle and b) don't want to loose all our recordings.

Jester, try a full reset of the box, there is an option to not lose your recordings.

The sequence in which the problems started to happen is the same as my experience in which I ended up replacing the box, which Yes annoyed SWMBO a great deal.

Do not waste your time, get a replacement box.
    edited June 2013
    Jester said:

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for your comment SW. Sounds like I may just have to face the fact it's broke. How did you get your box replaced? I bought mine via BT, so I could go to them, but I did wonder if contacting you view might be an alternative/better route. Thanks.
    edited June 2013
    Jester said:

Hey Wayne,

You should contact the supplier or retailer you obtained the box from to get a replacement, so that is BT in your case.

Do try a full factory reset of the box, you need to get the device into maintenance mode to do this, it will wipe all your recordings, but it is the last resort. Either way you have lost your recordings.
    edited June 2013
    Getting it uplifted tommrow :-)
    What stuff do i need to give them? Just the box? or do i need the claim info i sent in the email?

Do i have to wait for a replacement or is it a swap out where i get a replacement when they take my box?

edited June 2013
    Jester said:

Hey Wayne,

Ok, I will do. Thanks.