YouView launches Android App June 2013

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM in Announcements
The YouView App, now available for Android devices as well as the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, provides listings for over 70 digital TV and radio channels for the next seven days, with full programme information details. It also allows YouView customers to record their favourite television programmes onto their YouView set-top box, while on the move.

The YouView App is available free from Google PlayTM Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps

Features:
• TV GUIDE: 7 day television programme guide
• NOW AND NEXT: See which programmes are on Now and Next across all channels
• CHANNEL LIST: See all programmes on a chosen channel
• PROGRAMME INFORMATION: Information on TV and radio shows for the next 7 days
• REMOTE RECORD: Set your YouView box to record your favourite TV shows or series while out and about
• CONNECT MULTIPLE DEVICES: Connect up to 5 devices (Android and iOS combined) with your YouView box so you and your family can use the YouView remote record service

Requirements:
Mobile Devices: The YouView App for Android can be downloaded on most Android 2.3+ devices and has been optimised for the following smartphones:
Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Nexus 4, HTC One S and Samsung Galaxy Ace

Connecting the app to your YouView set-top box:
You will need to connect the app with your YouView box (or someone else’s YouView box, as long as you have their permission) to use the remote record service. To do this, go to Settings > Device Management > Mobile Devices on your YouView box and follow the instructions.
You will be presented with a unique code that is valid for 2 minutes which you will need to enter into the YouView App.

Once the app is connected successfully, you will then be able to view the TV Guide and set recordings on your YouView box.

Remote recording requests should be set at least 15 minutes before the programme starts.
Please note your selected programme will be recorded if it does not clash with other recordings, and you have space available on your YouView box.

The YouView App is free, but mobile network and/or Wi-Fi charges may apply.

Use of the app is subject to our Application Terms and Conditions, which can be found at http://www.youview.com/terms-conditio.... Please read these before using the app.

YouView:
The YouView App is compatible with all YouView set-top boxes, available subscription free from retailers or offered as part of a subscription from BT and TalkTalk.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc.

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Comments

• edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Is this available yet?
    Can't find it at https://play.google.com/store/apps
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 24 June 2013, 5:50PM
    gwatuk said:

Is this available yet?

NO!
    A search using both my android phone and a Win8 PC cannot find it. The first hit on both is an app from Disney. Mind you Mickey Mouse in the context of YouView seems appropriate at times.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    The YouView tweet said this: "We are pleased to announce that the YouView app for Android will be available in the next 24 hours. More details to follow."

The 24 hours bit is just how the Google Play Store is advertised to work, but I doubt that it'll be that long.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    gwatuk said:

Is this available yet?

Say's Minnie... Smiley
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Well done hitting the late-June target. :-)
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I've got it on my S3 - it's very slow and has channels that I had removed. I thought it only showed the channels my box shows.

Looks nice though! :)
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    Up and running on my Experia T .
    Piers, when you say the app has been optimised for Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Nexus 4, HTC One S and Samsung Galaxy Ace, in what way is it optimised ?
    edited 24 June 2013, 6:21PM
    gwatuk said:

Is this available yet?

OK, it's up now
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    All installed on my S3. Very pretty, and quite quick loading the guide / now next from my home Wi-Fi.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Sean KnowlesSean Knowles Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 June 2013, 6:23PM
    Found it, installed it, used it and it works. Top job.
  • happyslayerukhappyslayeruk Member Posts: 28
    edited 6 December 2013, 8:07PM
    Just installed on my now ageing HTC Sensation XE. Did a test remote record and it works.
    One wish down, now waiting for the BT IPTV channels.
  • Iain MannIain Mann Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Are there plans for a Windows Phone version?
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 6:24PM
    I've received it - for others don't worry if not seen straight away as it could have been released using the google staggered method

Would be nice if could link to two boxes from the app :)
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:26PM
    One tip (or bug?)

You cannot input the necessary code if your phone is not set to a full keyboard. Multiple presses on a numeric layout "SMS" style will not work (at least it did not on a 2 year old Sony Xperia Arc)
  • Wayne Bramley1Wayne Bramley1 Member Posts: 17
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:30PM
    App runs smoothly on my Motorola Razr I.

One niggle, could there be a button at the top which takes you to current time? I find when scrolling down i move the time alot. lol
  • DJ BILINGSDJ BILINGS Member Posts: 172
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:40PM
    Iain Mann said:

Not as many people use windows devices - when you upgrade your next phone go for Android and you will see a phone with android is better than windows platform, windows has had its day!
  • Alan3Alan3 Member Posts: 22
    edited 27 December 2016, 8:52AM
    Running on my HTC One. Well done to all concerned for bringing the app to Android.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:46PM
    Iain Mann said:

Some of us do not want to sell our souls (or should that be have our souls taken without so much as a by your leave?) to the evil, sticky-fingered empire.
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:48PM
    Iain Mann said:

No one understands what you have written, is this about Youview or something else, do remember this is a Youview forum only
  • happyslayerukhappyslayeruk Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:49PM
    Iain Mann said:

I'm actually thinking of switching back to Windows.
    I had Windows from CE up to WinMo 6.5 but hated WP7 so went Android. Had a play with a WP8 device and loved it. Windows phones are great for integration with Office and are great business phones, not so great if you want to play games and have lots of weird apps.
    edited 24 June 2013, 7:52PM
    Iain Mann said:

I am pleased you like windows phones, not saying they are bad but more and more people use Android and I-Phone devices - only benefit with Windows is the industry standard 'MS Office'
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Iain Mann said:

@gomez - And thats actually in the T's&C's... Smiley
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 25 June 2013, 8:23PM
    Now downloadin ... ;)
    edited 24 June 2013, 8:00PM
    Iain Mann said:

What is in the T's & C's no disrespect but not making much sense you message, sorry no one would understand it, please explain.
    edited 24 June 2013, 8:02PM
    SW1 said:

Now downloadin ... ;)

Thanks for letting us know - really thanks ! you downloadin....:) wow wee
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    Iain Mann said:

This discussion will all be hidden in the comments - as previously - will open a new thread for this. Have actually moved from Android to Nokia Lumia and really want this for WP8
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Downloaded. Not tested yet. It will be interesting to compare with the ios version.

Well done to Youview for getting this Android version released.

I'm not currently a Windows phone user, but do think it would be great to get a version for that out there - perhaps with a Blackberry version as well so that the Youview app is available to as many as possible.
  • ShepShep Member Posts: 26
    edited 29 November 2016, 9:46PM
    Installed and test record successful (Motorola ATRIX MB860). Well done Youview (so far!)
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    First impression: it looks good. Thank you to the development team.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 24 June 2013, 9:08PM
    Iain Mann said:

I suggest the mods either delete this whole sub-thread including the initiating post or lets the erroneous and misleading assertions it makes be challenged.