Humax Box Losing all Freeview Channels every day...

Richard7Richard7 Posts: 3Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
For the last 5 days or so, every day when I turn on the yourview box (from standby) it reports "YVM302 - TV signal problem. Your digital signal is weak or lost.". There is no issue with the TV signal as the Digital TV that the YouView box is connected still shows all channels fine with no issue.

The only way I have found to resolve the issue is to try and retune the channels. At this point the Youview box runs through the channel scan in just a few seconds and then reports that it cannot find any channels. I then have to reset the Youview box using the 8 second power button depress method. The box restarts and then reports that it cannot display Live TV. I then retune the box and this time it takes a few minutes rescanning all channels, and then 113 channels are successfully available.

The next day getting home from work I have to go through the same thing all over again. It's happened every day since Friday 21st/Saturday 22nd.

The box is now running:
Manufacturer Software: 13.4.0
Component Software: 1.6.0
Platform configuration: 490
The update completed for this overnight on the 25th/26th June.

Any ideas please on what is causing this, it's becoming very frustrating and I am missing scheduled recordings as a result.

Many thanks

Richard

Comments

• KeithKeith mod Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Richard - that does not sound too good. My original Humax YouView box did something very similar to what you describe a couple of times, i.e. it would not show/find any channels and a retune did nothing, a reboot and retune found no channels but a further reboot suddenly got it back to a working state without a need to further retune. I put the experience down to some fault with the tuner locking up in some way and a couple of full reboots cleared the issue. With hindsight I would say at the time my box was at the beginning of a decline into complete failure and whilst I did not get this problem repeatedly it soon started to fail to boot correctly every time and eventually completely died and needed replacing.

If you box is in low eco mode it could perhaps be overheating and that could be affecting the tuner. If that were the case you may find switching to high eco mode would mean the box cooled down between uses and the problem would appear to go away although really you would be working around it and should still probably be concerned something is not right and could fail in the future.

If the problem persists you may instead need to think about contacting the supplier to see about arranging a warranty replacement.
  • Richard7Richard7 Posts: 3Member
    edited 28 June 2013, 2:28PM
    Hi Keith, many thanks for your reply.... Yes it doesn't seem too good at the moment. I purchased the box just before Christmas and haven't really had any issues with it at all other than some of the symptoms that have been resolved by the onoging upgrades, such as blank screen on changing channels when recording, and the forward/rewind getting stuck... The box lost channels this evening whilst watching it, and my normaly procedure for resetting it didn't work at all tonight... After two further attempts I've given up on it for the night.

Many thanks for your suggestion regarding eco mode... I'll give that a try and see if that helps, and report back for the benefit of all...

Cheers...
  • Richard7Richard7 Posts: 3Member
    edited 3 July 2013, 2:16PM
    Hi Keith, just an update for you. I tried your suggestion of changing the eco mode to high, but this has not made any difference. The box seems to be getting worse I I haven't been able to use it to watch or record programs for quite a few days now.

My usual trick of the 8 second reset hasn't been working either. However, what does seem to help is powering the box off completely and leaving it for a few hours. On restarting it I don't have any channels. Doing a retune runs through in a couple of seconds not finding any channels. Then if I do the 8 second reset and then a retune the box finds channels again. The reception remains for about 3 hours or so and then reception gets lost with the box reporting again "YVM302 - TV signal problem. Your digital signal is weak or lost." Reception is fine on the Digital TV connected to the YouView box at this point. (The aerial feed to the TV is via the YouView box). The box reports that it still has the channels but there is no reception. At this point a return loses all channels, and it appears you have to revert to turning the box off for a few hours again then.

So I suspect from this then that perhaps the box is overheating for some reason. Certainly the aerial connector in the back does get quite hot, so I presume this is affecting the tuner, and a switch off allows it all to cool down. Sounding like a replacement box is going to be required and unfortunately we'll lose all the recorded programs we have... :-(

Cheers..
  • KeithKeith mod Posts: 2,429Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Depending on how much you have stored on the box and how much trouble you are willing to try to put up with and if you have another PVR then you could initiate a phased exit strategy, namely:

Setup all new recordings on the other PVR, just use the YouView box to watch off the existing recordings (having cancelled all new ones) and hope you can get through those recordings before the symptoms get so bad it completely fails. When you finish watching all the recordings arrange for the box to be replaced under warranty etc as appropriate. Now when you have a new box reverse the process with new recordings going on to the new YouView box whilst you watch up the content you recorded on the other PVR. This of course probably forces you to watch things quicker than you planned and is quite a pain but given that there is no export or import feature on the YouView system it is at present the only way to watch up those recordings. As a refined strategy you could assess which recordings are available via on-demand services and which are likely to persist there for some time and prioritise the other recordings first.
  • Michael FreemanMichael Freeman Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Catch 22 - want to use the youview mobile app then you have to have eco mode 'on'. Maybe, just maybe we see here a time for the yourview box to be updated to keep in line of what it's supposed to do. I have a BT Youview box which often loses the internet connection and here we go, having to hard reboot it to get it to connect.
  • RoyRoy ✭✭✭ Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Catch 22 - want to use the youview mobile app then you have to have eco mode 'on'. Maybe, just maybe we see here a time for the yourview box to be updated to keep in line of what it's supposed to do. I have a BT Youview box which often loses the internet connection and here we go, having to hard reboot it to get it to connect.

If you have a BT YouView box on a current BT subscription running over a direct Ethernet connection to a BT Home Hub, then I suggest that the next time it loses its connection, you video your attempts to restart it, or take stills of this, at least.

Then call BT Support, who will come out to you, and even if the box behaves perfectly, you can show the engineer the photographic evidence, and probably score a replacement box - argue for a G4 given how patchy the reliability of the 1000s is.

NB: despite your woes, I guess you aren't losing all your Freeview channels every day? Don't be afraid to start a whole new thread for your problem, which will give you much better visibility to helpers in this Community who feel they can deal with the problem you actually have, rather than the one this thread was about.

Good luck with your quest - and please do let us know how it turns out.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • Darren DowningDarren Downing Posts: 1Member
    edited 28 July 2015, 3:15PM

My humax keeps saying no channels why
  • stormystormy ✭✭ Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

Are you in High Eco by any chance? If you are try changing to Low Eco and see if you still have the problem.

See:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/june-software-issue-with-scheduled-recordings
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott admin Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM

Hi Darren,

As stormy mentions, we are investigating this issue at the moment based on a number of reports in the thread mentioned. We will continue to update on this when we have more information but there are a number of troubleshooting suggestions mentioned in the thread to get this working.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Alan PembertonAlan Pemberton Posts: 1Member
    edited 20 February 2016, 6:34PM

Phil, were there any updates on this problem?