ITV player is not working correctly- blank programmes

user1028103user1028103 Posts: 14Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Support
IItv player on bt you view box. Continually get an issue with JUST the ITV player where you get the you view come on in screen then goes blank and show does not start. Only happens on this player. On unlimited bt infinity so bandwidth /usage not an issue and nothing else was online at the time. Sometimes clears with a reboot but don't want to keep rebooting. Sort it out!

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi there, do you have a working aerial attached for the YouView box as this is needed to ensure you get the correct version of the player?
  • user1028103user1028103 Posts: 14Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Is this a serious question? How else can I watch every other channel and all other players except ITV Player. Since having this box the only problem that is regular is anything to do with ITV player and nothing else.
    Besides that the ITV player is delivered across the internet and not through the aerial so what has this question got to do with the player???
    edited 7 September 2015, 1:56PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi there, do you have a working aerial attached for the YouView box as this is needed to ensure you get the correct version of the player?

not a good response!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 8,792Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM

Is this a serious question? How else can I watch every other channel and all other players except ITV Player. Since having this box the only problem that is regular is anything to do with ITV player and nothing else.
    Besides that the ITV player is delivered across the internet and not through the aerial so what has this question got to do with the player???

Hi user. Do you have your box connected to an aerial?

WHAT!! Of course I do for crying out loud! I can watch ITV HD and all other ITV channels. The problem is with the PLAYER NOT THE SIGNAL ON THE AERIEL. Can I be any clearer than that. I have a BT Infinity connection for the broadband with unlimited usage too so bandwidth not an issue.

Channel 4 on demand works fine. BBC iPlayer works fine. 5OD works fine. BTVision on demand works fine and no doubt the NOW TV works fine but I have not used that yet as it costs and no need to use it.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM

Thanks for that. As the ITV player is unique, in that it requires both an internet and an aerial connection. Have you tried a hard reboot of the box, by disconnecting the power for 30 seconds and then turning back on? That may fix it.
  • Peskdale61Peskdale61 Posts: 74Member
    edited 1 July 2013, 7:34PM

user1028103, please understand that as explained, ITV Player is dependent on which region you live in, as determined by what version of ITV you receive over the air. A common problem is that a user does not have an aerial connected, hence the question. Please calm down - people are trying to help you.

Is it unique in the fact that it is as flaky as a well known chocolate bar by Cadburys! I have fixed it by doing this before but it didn't work last time. I don't see this as a feasible fix. You need to get with ITV to sort out the issue seeing thst ITV owns about 20% of YOU VIEW it is in their interest to get it working properly and maybe rewrite the app completely. I have had issues with the online through a browser with the ITV player too. They need to look at their coding and who they are employing in MY VIEW.

Regularly turning something off and on is not suitable as any electronic system the only problem you have is in the turning off and turning on of a product. When left on it does not have as many issues than if it is repeatedly turned off and on. After all it isn't running windows!
  • sam1sam1 Posts: 1,182Member ✭✭
    Try counting to ten. :-)

I am calm but just frustrated. I thought I had made it clear that I could watch anything BUT the ITV player in my original post.

And if you don't work for You View thank you for taking the time for reading and posting :). I assumed you were all You View staff. :D
  • Peskdale61Peskdale61 Posts: 74Member
    edited 1 July 2013, 7:46PM

To be honest, it wasn't very clear. Hence the question.

No, most of us aren't YouView Staff - though Phil, who first responded, is. Do not expect instant answers to your problems. I'm sure Phil will be back again soon to offer more advice, or a fellow user may have the answer. :)
    sam1 said:

Try counting to ten. :-)

gave up with that a long time ago :D
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I'm done here.

A hammer?

works for clarkson :D
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi user1028103, I'm sorry you have this problem and appreciate you are frustrated but we are trying to narrow down where the issue may be. You mention you have no issue with any of the other players just ITV. We have tried the player through our BT vision connection here and not encountered the issue which suggests its not your connection.

When loading up the ITV Player how far into the starting of the player does it freeze, are you able to see any of the adverts at all? Does the player reach any programme or the main screen before going blank? Also this YouView screen that appears which you refer to, is it the YouView App box that is on the On Demand page by the other players.

If possible would you be able to post a video or picture for us to see what happens. When you reboot is it the Soft Reboot by holding the power button for 8 seconds on the front, and if so for how long does this work before you have to do it again?

Thanks,

Phil
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,836Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Phil8 said:

What, you don't like reality?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    I have experienced the problem more than once. Have not tried for last few days as have been busy.

Will do a vid for you later but will attempt to explain here.

I have the Humax box from BT

If I try to access a program from the guide. Box switches to the player. You get the dots while it loads. You get the white welcome screen from ITV with the come on in message. Then screen goes blank except for the faded ITV logo in top left so not a completely blank screen. Then that is it and counter stays on 00:00 on front of box.
    If you try fast forwarding you also get nothing.

This exact issue also happens when going through the on demand section and choosing players. Choose ITV player where you get the list of programs to watch. Select any program and the same happens.

I only came across this because the box didn't record a program that it was supposed to. I got a failed recording but no reason! Is there any way of making it give you a fault code for the reason it failed to record?? But that's another problem and will worry about that later! A reboot fixed the failed recordings as more than one failed.

So far I have only been doing hard reboots with the power switch at the back. Turn off, leave for 30secs turn on. Sometimes it fixes it, this time it didn't and have not tried again as been too busy. If it does fix it it won't be the last time and it also isnt the first time either!!
    Thanks for the extra information here, I will keep tabs on this and wait for the video to see what you are getting so we can investigate further.

Phil
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,547Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    I cannot add anything here to help on the technical side I'm afraid. Although I strongly agree with the topic title. But I put that down to content, really.
    this is a link to my public folder on dropbox which contains both a video of the failure and also the front panel display of the box which doesn't change.

You can exit out of it ok so box is not frozen.

This is still happening after another soft reset by holding the front button in.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qk4bifwgxo...
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi user1028103, thanks for providing this information - we have had some internal discussion regarding the issue you have had which I will feed this back to you in a private message via email.

Phil
  • eggynewyddeggynewydd Posts: 4Member
    edited 8 September 2016, 6:53PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi user1028103, thanks for providing this information - we have had some internal discussion regarding the issue you have had which I will feed this back to you in a private message via email.

Phil

Hi Phil - I'm having exactly the same problem. BT Infinity 2 with new BT homehub4 connected via ethernet cable so bandwidth doesn't appear to be the issue. Furthermore, BBC iPlayer HD content works fine. Please can you PM me with the feedback you're referring to here?

thanks

Dan
  • Penny PriestPenny Priest Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 September 2016, 6:52PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

I'm having the same problem too! Please can you let me know the solution too!
  • Dylan Edward RêveurDylan Edward Rêveur Posts: 1Member
    I'm having the same issue I've contacted TalkTalk Technical support team numerous times and they have reported that the ITV Player On Demand Service requires a working aerial to function properly, but when I tell them I haven't had any aerial connectivity for over six months and been able to receive programming from ITV Player without a working aerial connection they tell me "the service will degrade over time." I know that is rubbish I am technically minded and know if I am able to receive programming without an aerial then I should still be able to, the problem only began ever since Sky Store arrived in the On Demand section. They keep telling me all this **** but I know its a YouView service issue not an aerial connectivity problem !!!  

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,836Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

I'm having the same issue I've contacted TalkTalk Technical support team numerous times and they have reported that the ITV Player On Demand Service requires a working aerial to function properly, but when I tell them I haven't had any aerial connectivity for over six months and been able to receive programming from ITV Player without a working aerial connection they tell me "the service will degrade over time." I know that is rubbish I am technically minded and know if I am able to receive programming without an aerial then I should still be able to, the problem only began ever since Sky Store arrived in the On Demand section. They keep telling me all this **** but I know its a YouView service issue not an aerial connectivity problem !!!  

To be exact, the itv player requires that the main ('3') itv channel has been tuned to sometime in the past, and that the information is still valid.

It does not matter how long ago, and it does not matter if the aerial has been disconnected ever since.

It's possible that if the itv arrangements change that a retune would be necessary, but this would be a step change, not a gradual deterioration.

It does leave you with your issue, though.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Donald KirkbrideDonald Kirkbride Posts: 2Member
    edited 29 April 2014, 9:52PM

i watch itv 3 via the bbc iplayer and have been getting the following problems with episodes of heartbeat for the past week
    1) ITS SHOWING A TIME CODE AT THE TOP OF THE PICTURE
    2) THE AUDIO GOES OUT OF SYNC WITH THE ACTORS MOUTHS RESULTING IN THE AUDIO AFTER THEY HAVE STOPPED TALKING
    3) IT KEEPS REFRESHING ITSELF
    4) IT ALSO KEEPS STUTTERING 
    despite several emails to itv they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with these episodes
    ive got a toshiba satellite laptop with windows 7 professional installed in february this year
    have bt internet unlimited current speed is 54mbps
    when i watched heartbeat tonight the timecode was showing so took a screenshot of it and sent it to itv and they still do not believe there is a problem with heartbeat episodes simply because they are looking it at source ie at the studio not online elsewhere which if they did these faults may or may not show up
    i thought the whole idea of being able to report faults to tv companies was so that they could be aware of problems and fix them not to be told that my laptop or internet connection is the cause of the problem