ITV player is not working correctly- blank programmes

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 13,836Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I'm having the same issue I've contacted TalkTalk Technical support team numerous times and they have reported that the ITV Player On Demand Service requires a working aerial to function properly, but when I tell them I haven't had any aerial connectivity for over six months and been able to receive programming from ITV Player without a working aerial connection they tell me "the service will degrade over time." I know that is rubbish I am technically minded and know if I am able to receive programming without an aerial then I should still be able to, the problem only began ever since Sky Store arrived in the On Demand section. They keep telling me all this **** but I know its a YouView service issue not an aerial connectivity problem !!!  

I see no reference to YouView in your posting. Can you confirm, or otherwise, that you are experiencing this problem on a YouView box, as this forum does not deal with other hardware?

Though if you have this problem, as you say, on the BBC iPlayer, even though you are watching itv3 on it, it may be better to contact the BBC, suppliers of the player, than itv, who only provide the programme.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Donald KirkbrideDonald Kirkbride Posts: 2Member
    edited 30 April 2014, 9:35PM

I'm having the same issue I've contacted TalkTalk Technical support team numerous times and they have reported that the ITV Player On Demand Service requires a working aerial to function properly, but when I tell them I haven't had any aerial connectivity for over six months and been able to receive programming from ITV Player without a working aerial connection they tell me "the service will degrade over time." I know that is rubbish I am technically minded and know if I am able to receive programming without an aerial then I should still be able to, the problem only began ever since Sky Store arrived in the On Demand section. They keep telling me all this **** but I know its a YouView service issue not an aerial connectivity problem !!!  

its a waste of time contacting either the bbc or itv as they always blame the viewers equipment rather than admit that there is a problem with the programme viewed via bbc iplayer i made the comment because the op above my comment also had problems getting the tv company to accept that there was a problem with the programme i didnt realise that i had to have a you view box in order to comment on tv companies inability to believe what viewers report to them as being a fault via whatever be it freeview you view itv or the bbc iplayers if the programme you are watching has a fault its obvious that the fault originates from source and not the viewers equipment which according to them is the cause of the fault
    ive complained to itv they are adamant that the fault with heartbeat does not exist despite sending them a screenshot showing timecodes along the top of the picture
    the bbc response to any fault reported to them supposedly from their engineers is "retune your freeview box!" despite telling them that 4 near neighbours all had the same problem so how could the fault exist on five different freeview boxes/freeview tv sets the same reply returned was "retune your freeview box!!" in other words they will transmit a programme but if there is a fault they do not want to know
  • BrimstoneBrimstone Posts: 2Member
    edited 2 May 2014, 9:57PM

My itv player through youview is also not working, have been trying for the last 2 days to watch 'prey' but all I get is 'try again' whether I try on demand or to play through the guide. What can I do to eradicate the problem? I am worried about resetting as we moved house recently and lost ALL our recorded programmes and films...
    Many thanks in advance of any help.

Donald

If you can reproduce the problems you describe on a YouView box, then they are relevant here.

If not, then best raise them either on a forum for Tosh Satellites, with their notoriously under-specified video components that may well be causing some or all of your problems here, or one for more general BBC/itv issues.

To paraphrase a well-known comic character: 'This is a YouView forum for YouView people - there's nothing for you here'.

Sorry and all that, but we have to keep that focus.....
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • BrimstoneBrimstone Posts: 2Member
    edited 3 May 2014, 6:27AM

Yes this is a humax youview, and I would appreciate youview specific help, thank you.

I don't know why moving house would lose all your recordings, unless you did a full reset. In which case, I wonder why you did a full reset?

Even if your move was across itv regions, you shouldn't have needed to do more than a retune of the box, and the input of your new postcode.

But it will have needed a retune and postcode, since the itv player, and now the channel 4 one, need to know where you are in order to serve you appropriately.

So have you given it this new information?

But even if your box still needs a reset, there is the soft reset - touch standby for just over 8 seconds - and the less drastic Maintenance Mode resets - Google for YouView Maintenance Mode - which will preserve your recordings at least, and in the case of the soft reset, all your other settings as well.
  • Karen McPhersonKaren McPherson Posts: 2Member
    edited 3 November 2014, 7:58PM
    Phil8 said:

Thanks for the extra information here, I will keep tabs on this and wait for the video to see what you are getting so we can investigate further.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've just started getting the same problem yesterday, ITV player only one not working. Will play pre-prog ads, then I just get a circle turning round and round in top corner, help!

K
    Phil8 said:

Thanks for the extra information here, I will keep tabs on this and wait for the video to see what you are getting so we can investigate further.

Phil

Try a retune of your YouView box. Perhaps the ITV Player has been having trouble trying to figure out which region you are in, which a retune may cure.

Do let us know if this works or not for you.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Hi Karen,

Try Roy's advise and go through a re-tune to see if this helps. If it's just the ITV player this is quite unusual, have you definitely not experienced buffering on any other players?

Also what sort of connection speed are you currently getting from your internet service provider?

Phil
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Posts: 9Member
    edited 15 December 2014, 11:33PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

l have the same issues, l get the pre programme adverts without a problem then a black screen and the buffering circle in the top right of the screen. I am on BT Infinity and the you view box is connected directly to the router. BBC iplayer works perfectly.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Hi Bob,

We're not aware of any recent issues with the ITV Player however there are a few things that you could try:
    • Update On Demand Players (Settings > Device Management > Update On Demand Players)
    • Soft Reboot (Press & hold the standby button on the box for 8 seconds)
    • Re-Tune Channels (Settings > TV Signal & Quality > Re-Tune Channels)
    Let us know if any of those steps help. 
  • Bob FitzsimmonsBob Fitzsimmons Posts: 9Member
    edited 15 December 2014, 11:33PM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Thank you. The update of On Demand Players did the trick. All I need now is the recording issues fixed and I will be a happy bunny. (But that's a different thread.)
  • AnotherJohnHAnotherJohnH Posts: 36Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    Itv player gives blank programmes when my humax youview box is displaying subtitles. Turn subtitles off, the player works. BBC player works fine with subtitles on
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,159Member ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

Itv player gives blank programmes when my humax youview box is displaying subtitles. Turn subtitles off, the player works. BBC player works fine with subtitles on

I often get a blank screen with ITV Player. The problem happens most with recently shown popular programmes on ITV1. I think that the ITV Player servers can't cope with very high demand. Their help people won't acknowledge that there is a problem. They just told me to do an eight second re-set. Their second list of suggestions included check for a dial tone on my phone. ITV Player works as it should on my computer, but being as all the other on demand players work as they should on YouView, I blame ITV Player for the problem. I can live with it. Or rather, without it.:-)
  • AnotherJohnHAnotherJohnH Posts: 36Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Further to blank programme: switching off subtitles made it work without reset or other faffing about. The programme in question was a 4 day old episode of emmerdale. Needed mid afternoon. As the humax didn't work straight away it was watched on a tablet. While being watched the humax would not play any of the three different itv programmes I tried. Subtitles off, humax itvplayer played straight away, while it was still being watched on the tablet. (60 Mbps fttc).

Further to blank programme: switching off subtitles made it work without reset or other faffing about. The programme in question was a 4 day old episode of emmerdale. Needed mid afternoon. As the humax didn't work straight away it was watched on a tablet. While being watched the humax would not play any of the three different itv programmes I tried. Subtitles off, humax itvplayer played straight away, while it was still being watched on the tablet. (60 Mbps fttc).

I appreciate that your issue with the ITV Player is linked to the subtitles being active, but in my experience the player is very unreliable.

This post is two years old and it is marked as solved, but we still get all the problems with ITV Player mentioned above: blank screen; rotating circle; often long delay before programme starts, sometimes not at all; long gaps between programme and adverts.

I have contacted ITV Player support and I got the usual response - check your aerial, check for dial tone on your phone, re-boot everything etc etc. The assumption is that the problem is with my equipment and it isn't. All the other free players work as they should.

In fact the ITV Player works as it should on ours if we watch less popular programmes or popular ones that have been available for some time. For instance a week old episode of Emmerdale will play, but a three day old one won't. They will not accept that there is a problem with the ITV Player on YouView. The player works properly on devices other than our YouView box.

A few weeks ago I did a post on this topic in an attempt to re-start the discussion about problems with the ITV Player, but there was no response.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/problems-with-itvplayer
  • Lynne Crawford-EllisLynne Crawford-Ellis Posts: 2Member
    edited 14 August 2015, 12:52AM

I am having the same problem, have done everything suggested and still my ITV player wont work. This has only been since my recent upgrade where they sent a new box and added netflix etc. It's driving me mad as I watch so many ITV programmes!

Hi Lynne, 

Sorry to hear that. When you say the ITV Player doesn't work, what happens exactly? 

Also - What steps did you try?
  • Lynne Crawford-EllisLynne Crawford-Ellis Posts: 2Member
    edited 14 August 2015, 10:15AM

Hi there, it simply wont load past the 1st page on most occasions, blank screen with the itv logo top left usually. I have managed only twice to get a programme but you (unlike my previous bt service) cannot forward through the adverts . I have done a soft re boot and also been through settings and checked the signal. I have good broadband and every other player works perfectly

Thanks for the extra info Lynne. 

Can you let me know what software version you are on (Settings > System Information > Software Versions).

It would also be worthwhile trying to update your On Demand Players (Settings > Device Management > Update On Demand Players). This helped another customer on this thread. 

If that doesn't work, could you also give me an example of a programme that hasn't worked (date/time) we'll check to see if this a content specific issue or something else. 

Thanks in advance. 
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

You can't fast-forward through the ads. Unlike the BT setup, which is a paid-for arrangement, ITV rely on the revenue from advertisers here; so the price of the free service is that you have to watch them.

But I agree it is utterly infuriating when having sat through them and had a misidentified, ITV make you watch them again when you retry.

All4 have implemented the technology to let you restart from where the service broke, so it's doable, at least,

This has only been since my recent upgrade

The ITVPlayer is pretty hopeless, but I don't think that its problems are linked to recent upgrades. We have been having problems with the ITVPlayer for months.

My view (!) is that the problems are exascerbated by increased demand for catch-up TV.

The problems (blank screen, delay before the programme starts delays before and/or after adverts, two lots of adverts, no adverts, programme starting half way through, etc. etc) seem to be worse with popular programmes that have recently been aired. For example, a recent (day or two old) episode of Emmerdale gives problems, whereas one from a week ago does not.

I seem to have more success if I start the programme from within the app, rather than use the guide. I wait until the rotating circle in the top right of the screen has disappeared and then press Back. I then accept the option to go back to the main menu and re-start the programme. More often that not it seems to work after that. Well, after a fashion, anyway. On last night's second episode of Emmerdale, at the start we got two lots of adverts in a row, followed by the programme starting half way through. I wound back to the beginning and then it played the whole lot without adverts. Just a short pause in the middle where the adverts should be.
  • L3TS G0 XTR3M3L3TS G0 XTR3M3 Posts: 5Member
    edited 19 August 2015, 2:06PM

tried watching a few programmes such as FROST AND MORSE however when i try looking at other episodes by pressing down the itv player on my youview crashes, i know there are other episodes as they are on the itv player online,
    edited 19 August 2015, 2:08PM

my youview is connected to my bt infinity hub ive currently got 30mbs speeds, why does the itv player consistantly crash its all updated ive tried re tuning to no aveil 

Hi LGX,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. We are aware of an issue with the ITV Player at the moment when trying to view 'All Episodes' option. We'll update you when this is resolved.

In the meantime one of our very helpful community members (zulu17) suggested trying to use the YouView search to look for additional episodes.
    edited 26 August 2015, 4:56AM

ive tried every way to search for the other episodes of the  programmes i want to watch all except smoke signals but still nothing its highly annoying as these programmes such as hells kitchen have a expire time on them and i work 12hour shifts so when i come home and try to watch a few back dated episodes of HK with my mrs and i cant find any i get annoyed

Hi LGX,

Are you searching through the ITV Player or using the search feature on the YouView box? I've just used the search button on the YouView remote, typed in Hell's Kitchen and got 9 episodes back ranging from 28th July to 25th August. 

Note: The YouView Search feature will search content from all players. The YouView Search Button doesn't work while you are in the ITV Player. However if you are in the ITV Player and want to use the YouView search you can press the YouView Button > Navigate to Search and enter your programmes in there. 

Hi LGX,

This issue has now been fixed through an ITV Player update. Your box should have picked this update up over night. An easy way to check if you are using the latest version is to open the ITV Player and press the Help Button on your remote control. Here you can see the version number.

The version number should start with 1.6.2

If it doesn't, then try a manual update (Settings > Device Management > Update On Demand Players)
    edited 2 September 2015, 5:20PM

Hi thanks for the feedback but now the itv player freezes after 10 mins of playing a programme I get black screen after 10mins 35secs of any programme
    edited 2 September 2015, 5:22PM

Its fully updated aswel