Can't set recordings in the guide or manually record

Leslie HedleyLeslie Hedley Member Posts: 6
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I can't set recording from the programme guide and all my scheduled recordings have disappeared. Accessing the recordings I already have takes about 3 minutes to show the list. There is a delay of 3 minutes when I press the record button on the guide but it doesn't mark it or start recording.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Press and hold the on/standby button for just over 8 seconds, and let the box soft reboot.

This fixes all manner of unusual issues, if the running software in the box has got a bit corrupted, by refreshing it.
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
  • Leslie HedleyLeslie Hedley Member Posts: 6
    edited 1 July 2013, 11:13PM
    I've tried the soft reboot. It hasn't made any difference.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Administrator Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Leslie, if you have tried the soft reboot (this is a Humax box you have?) then have you tried power cycling the box by switching this off at the plug for 30 seconds, and then powering on again? I know you mention you are having problems with the recording element but have you found any issues with Live TV at all- are you using an internal or external antenna with the box? Has this issue just started for you or has it occurred for a long time?

Phil
    edited 2 July 2013, 4:56PM
    It is a humax box and I have tried power cycling the box. This problem started on Sunday and there are no problems with live tv or viewing past programmes using youview. It is just as thought the record button doesn't work except that it freezes the box for about three minutes and then comes back without setting the recording. When I go into the recording list pages they take the same amount of time to show the list of recordings i.e. 3 minutes. So I can watch programmes I recorded in the past but it is very slow to get to them. The scheduled recordings page is blank although it wasn't before this problem started.
    edited 2 July 2013, 4:57PM
    Forgot to say it is an external aerial.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Administrator Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Leslie, thanks for responding. It seems that you have already tried some of my suggestions without success so what I would recommend trying next is Maintenance Mode which is a full recovery and the details of how to do this can be found here http://www.youview.com/support/kb/how.... If this does not work I would recommend contacting Humax customer support for further help, the details of which can be found here http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use.... Let me know if you do have any luck with the first option.

Phil
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Phil, the maintenance mode instructions don't aplly to my humax box. I have a dtr-t1010 which is the new model. The circular button no longer works as a button and doesn't go orange when the box is switched on. Also there are no other controls on the front other than the touch sensitive on/off button.
  • PessablePessable Member Posts: 8
    edited 3 July 2013, 12:40AM
    I've got exactly the same problem as the OP, only mine started misbehaving this evening. It hasn't recorded programmes I had set for this evening and the interface is acting weird and slow, especially getting into the My Guide section.

- My scheduled recordings have all disappeared
    - I cannot set new recordings by pressing the R button or going into the program details and selecting record. I've tried the Android app too, with no success. I know it only appears to be two users at the moment, but this smells like a bad software update to me.

It would appear from the System Information page that there has been a software update today. The versions now are:

Manufacturer Software: 13.4.0
    Component Software: 1.6.0
    Platform Configuration: 490
    ISP Configuration: 33
    edited 3 July 2013, 1:08AM
    I've tried cold and warm restarts with no success. Am now trying a Maintenance Mode recovery process...
    edited 3 July 2013, 1:24AM
    Maintenance Mode Recovery didn't help either. Still the same issues of being unable to record via any method, and system being very slow in My Guide and sticking for 30secs to a minute when you try and record anything.
  • RoyRoy Member Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

Hi Phil, the maintenance mode instructions don't aplly to my humax box. I have a dtr-t1010 which is the new model. The circular button no longer works as a button and doesn't go orange when the box is switched on. Also there are no other controls on the front other than the touch sensitive on/off button.

AIUI, the circular button works as channel up/down when you press top/bottom, and volume up/down when you press left/right. Or possibly vice versa.

But try pressing 12 o'clock, 6, 9 and 3, so to speak, on that centre button, when the box is on, and see what happens.

Armed with this knowledge, you can then do the analogue of what the T1000 instructions ask for
    Who would have thought it? My little two-person business made about £15.65m more profit last year than YouView did....  :p
    edited 3 July 2013, 11:23PM
    Is there any one from youview out there can make any suggestions?
    edited 3 July 2013, 11:35PM
    I've tried the maintenance mode and it made no difference.
    edited 6 July 2013, 5:25PM
    Well, I received no reply to my message via this forum.

- I tried the Contact Us service on the BT website, but there isn't a contact number for BT Youview

- So on Thursday I tried the BT Vision support service since that was the closest and entered into a web chat

- Despite saying up front that my enquiry was about a Youview box, not a BT Vision box, the web chat person spent several minutes asking questions about the fault before saying it was nothing to do with them because I didn't have a BT Vision box.

- They gave me a number for the Youview department, which of course had just closed at 7pm.

- I tried the Youview department when I got home on Friday at 6.50pm, and was hold for 30 minutes before giving up.

- I called the Youview department today (Sat) at 2.40pm and got straight through. Only it turns out it's not the BT Youview department, but Youview themselves. They said that the problem sounded like a faulty software update or a subscription problem. But either way it was a BT problem and that I should call BT.

- So I called BT and somehow got through to a technical department, but they said I didn't have BT Vision. I told them that I knew that, but I wanted support on my Youview box. They said I needed a BT Vision subscription for my Youview box to work. I explained that the box had been working until Tuesday and they said it couldn't have been because I didn't have BT Vision! They said I needed to call the Order Confirmation department and gave me a number.

- I called the new number and spoke to someone who said that it was a technical problem and I should speak to the technical department. I explained what the technical department had already said and they said "Oh, we're Sales, not Order Confirmation" and proceeded to transfer me through to the Order Confirmation department.

- Eventually, the Order Confirmation department were able to confirm that I had had BT Vision Essentials, but I hadn't been paying for it so they had cancelled it. They could see that I had paid the activation fee back in February, but since I wasn't paying for it I had been getting it for free.

- I explained that I didn't want OnDemand streaming or anything, just the ability to record terrestrial TV. They said I needed a BT Vision subscription to do that, but they weren't very certain and put me on hold on more than one occasion to double-check.

- In the end he came back and said that they would credit my activation fee but they would have to charge £5 per month extra on my account for the BT Vision Essential package. Against my better judgement I conceded to this because I was just so fed up, and in the long run it woud only cost me an extra £11. (£49 activation refund + 12 months at £5).

- Anyway, whilst he was attempting to implement this he suddenly decided to hand me over to a colleague who he felt would better be able to help me. I thought this might be a shift change or something, but the new person in Dundee explained that when I had taken out my 18-month contract in Feb that my package included BT Vision Essentials for "free" as part of a special offer. But now that they didn't have the special offer any longer the computer had wiped my "free" package off my account.

- So she would instead give me a 12-month free BT Vision Essentials package and a £5 credit for the extra month required to take me through to the end of my 18-month period. But this couldn't be activated immediately because taking out a new Essentials pack would expect a lead-time for them to send me a new box, so this couldn't be activated until Wednesday.

To be honest I'm still not sure whether my Youview box is going to spring into life come Wednesday, and there is no reason why I should have any confidence in that happening.

Furthermore, I though the whole priciple of Youview was that it was subscription free, with the OPTION of on-demand pay TV. From what's been said at the end of my 12-month contract I will have to continue to pay £5 per month even to record terrestrial TV. Otherwise the BT box will become just a freeview brick with no record facility.

I'm not sure many people are aware that getting a Youview box via BT is not the same as getting one from a shop. In essence it's "locked" to BT Vision. And the admistrative systems and customer service from BT is so poor that they may remove it on a computer whim.

Even if it's working again come Wednesday, I will have no recompense for the shows I've missed or the 3+ hours I've spent trying to resolve the situation which was completely of BT's making. I've been on the telephone for 1h45m just today!

Not good enough.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Hi Pessable -

YouView is subscription-free if you buy the box, but as I understand it, you have to subscribe to BT Vision to get a "free" box from BT, which doesn't seem unreasonable. Sounds like you got a very good deal, getting the BT Vision sub free for 18 months. Bad luck that it got wiped, but you say BT are restoring it, so that's good.

Wait until Wed., and contact BT again then if the box doesn't get reactivated, that would be my advice. Good luck.
    edited 8 July 2013, 2:54PM
    @sam

Yes, it did seem a cheap way to get the Youview box, but then I was taking out an 18-month phone and broadband contract worth about £600. So only somewhat "free".

Over on the BT forum it is being stated that terrestrial recording is a core function of Youview and that no subscription is required. Finding documentary evidence either way is tricky.

I'm not keen on waiting until Wednesday to see what happens because I've already been without the recording facility for a week.

Thanks for your reply.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Yes, it did seem a cheap way to get the Youview box, but then I was taking out an 18-month phone and broadband contract worth about £600. So only somewhat "free".
    You're presumably getting the phone and broadband services you're paying for, so that doesn't affect the description of the YouView box as "free." However, if you paid £49 for activation, that does mean that the box can't be advertised as "free", according to a recent ASA ruling. That's why I put the word in quotation marks. But even though it's not entirely free, it's certainly good value for £49, esp with a free sub to BT Vision.

Recording Freeview channels is part of YouView's core functionality. Apparently the de-activating of your BT box is the cause of your recording problems. Isn't that what BT told you? Hence the necessity for re-instating the sub and re-activating the box.

Seems to me you've got an excellent deal from BT. True, your deal was accidentally interrupted, but you've been given a reasonable explanation and it's being fixed a.s.a.p. I don't often find myself defending BT, but I can't see that they're in the wrong at all, in this scenario.
    edited 8 July 2013, 5:11PM
    Haha, I could argue about my definition of free versus a "marketing" definition of free for quite a while. I'd forgotten about the £49 activation fee momentarily!

You're much more tolerant than me if you think not having a service you've paid for for a week is reasonable. And I'm still being led to believe by some sources that this is a red herring and my problems are technical rather than commercial. The biggest issue I have is establishing a definitive answer to that question.

I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.
    edited 15 July 2013, 11:00AM
    Although I can't be absolutely sure, because my BT Vision account was re-activated before I found a solution, the BT Youview box does not appear to require a BT Vision subscription for Freeview recording.

The solution was to factory reset the Youview via the menu. I lost all my recordings unfortunately, but I had already tried the Maintenance Mode Recovery which keeps the recordings.