Recording Drama channel

Beverley AlldisBeverley Alldis Posts: 1Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
why can't I record the Drama channel every time I try it says recording failed!! any idea how I can resolve this problem?

Comments

• KeithKeith Posts: 2,382Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi Beverley - this appears to be a known issue with the Huawei TalkTalk YouView boxes (the Humax ones not being affected), see for example

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

YouView and TalkTalk are aware so hopefully a fix will be along soon.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,655Member ✭✭✭
    How come none of those come up when I repeat Beverley's question as if I was about to post a same or similar thread about the issue?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • SussexDodoSussexDodo Posts: 5Member
    edited 8 September 2013, 8:28PM
    Still a problem here for this TalkTalk customer as at August 15 (new box installed 2 weeks ago).
    I will be contacting TalkTalk to register my concerns.
  • Debbie smithDebbie smith Posts: 4Member
    edited 9 September 2013, 1:12PM
    I tried to record on drama list night and today it failed why isn't this getting sorted out! Ridiculous! So annoying especially when your pay to have those options of recording etc.
  • sam1sam1 Posts: 1,182Member ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Really? Surely TalkTalk doesn't charge for viewing and recording Freeview channels? That seems wrong.
  • Peskdale61Peskdale61 Posts: 74Member
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    You're correct sam, you don't pay for those features. You pay for the box (unless it came free) and any TV boosts you subscribe to.

True, recording is a feature of the box (I'm not going to go into delivering 'advertised features'), but you're not specifically paying for such a feature.
    Thanks for the clarification, Peskdale.
    Oh bloody hell I'm so sorry I got that wrong blimey talk about making someone feel a ****! Thanks for making me feel an inferior human being because I got something wrong :(
    ?
    Sam my reply more aimed at peskdale and really why does it matter about paying not paying etc surely the point is that i am pissed off because I can't record on the damn drama channel. Ps not having a go just kinda saying that's the point I'm only annoyed because I can't record what I want too, and yes I realise this isn't your fault. I'm very tired so please excuse if this dosent read well. :)
    edited 8 September 2013, 10:09PM

You're correct sam, you don't pay for those features. You pay for the box (unless it came free) and any TV boosts you subscribe to.

True, recording is a feature of the box (I'm not going to go into delivering 'advertised features'), but you're not specifically paying for such a feature.

Really does it matter! I don't care either way I'm just annoyed I can't record on the damn channel!
    It does matter about paying or not paying, because TalkTalk shouldn't (and evidently don't) charge customers for free-to-view channels.

Apology accepted.
  • sugarpovasugarpova Posts: 37Member
    Surely TalkTalk doesn't charge for viewing and recording Freeview channels?
    Sam, were you being pedantic, perverse, stupid or just trying to wind someone up for the fun of it ?
    edited 9 September 2013, 9:24AM
    Having read all of the above, I think the bigger question is: why are TalkTalk supplying a YouView box that has this known deficiency?
    edited 6 November 2013, 8:50AM
    The Drama channel was only added to Freeview fairly recently - July, I think. The recording problem only surfaced then.

It does seem odd that it affects only one channel and only on the Huawei. Strange.
    edited 9 September 2013, 9:50AM
    sam1 said:

The Drama channel was only added to Freeview fairly recently - July, I think. The recording problem only surfaced then.

It does seem odd that it affects only one channel and only on the Huawei. Strange.

I guess that's a vote for the "perverse" option :-)
    edited 9 September 2013, 10:09AM
    sam1 said:

I think the word 'cheapskate' is more apt, Sam.
    edited 9 September 2013, 10:11AM
    sam1 said:

There should have been a smiley at the end of my reply to you, Sam.
    I think the word 'cheapskate' is more apt, Sam.
    :-)

I'm just wondering if it could be an interaction between the Huawei and the weather.
    The current atmospheric conditions are helping signals from further afield reach viewer's aerials, interfering with reception. Very little can be done to improve reception in the short-term.

However, the conditions may make retuning Freeview more difficult than usual on some devices, with equipment scanning and receiving additional services from distant transmitters that are more prone to break-up as atmospheric conditions change. This may be true for some viewers who recently retuned to get the new Drama channel on Freeview channel 20, where the receiver may have stored usually unreceivable distant signals instead of channels from the local transmitter. A manual retune may be required to correct matters.
    http://www.a516digital.com/2013/07/we...

But I guess retuning has been tried by many without curing the problem. :-(
    edited 9 September 2013, 10:19AM
    sam1 said:

The smiley manifested itself virtually. :-)
    Although, thinking a bit more, a515digital does say manual retuning may be necessary. Manual tuning's not possible on YouView boxes.

Does this problem afflict all TalkTalk users, I wonder?
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    sugarpova said:

Sam, were you being pedantic, perverse, stupid or just trying to wind someone up for the fun of it ?I was surprised to discover that YouView does appear to be truly free on TalkTalk; you no longer need pay for installation, and the difference between Essentials and Plus TV seems to be just expanding your free telephone calls from evenings and weekends to all day.

At least, that's how it's represented; and on the Plus plan, you don't have to take a box, but it isn't any cheaper if you don't.

The only sniff of a charge is them dunning you for the price (I won't say cost) of the box if you take one, but then don't stay the course.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    sam1 said:

Although, thinking a bit more, a515digital does say manual retuning may be necessary. Manual tuning's not possible on YouView boxes.

Does this problem afflict all TalkTalk users, I wonder?

Has there been a reported situation where someone could watch a programme perfectly well, but not record it, that was down to signal issues, and not one of the other manifold sins that a YouView box is heir to?

But given that the Drama problem is universal, it does seem unlikely that its signal related. I think it will turn out to be something in the digital stream that is unique to Drama, and which Humaxes pay no mind to, but which convinces Huaweis that they mustn't record the programmes.

Taking them a long time to find though, innit?

My guess is they've found it, and are considering how they can monetize it, thus making a few extra bob, but laying themselves open to Debbie's complaint and confounding you, in the future :-)
    But given that the Drama problem is universal, it does seem unlikely that its signal related. I think it will turn out to be something in the digital stream that is unique to Drama, and which Humaxes pay no mind to, but which convinces Huaweis that they mustn't record the programmes.
    I expect you're right, if it manifests on all the boxes. I was side-wondering if the weather might account for some of the YouView tuning problems.
    My guess if they've found it, and are considering how they can monetize it, thus making a few extra bob, but laying themselves open to Debbie's complaint and confounding you, in the future :-)
    :-)

I'm probably too easily confounded. :-)
    edited 9 September 2013, 3:31PM
    sugarpova said:

Sam, were you being pedantic, perverse, stupid or just trying to wind someone up for the fun of it ?Now you are being perverse Roy.
    Anyone choosing Plus TV rather than Essentials will be doing it to get YouView not to change their phone plan.
    So the increase in their monthly bill is paying for YouView - how can you possibly describe this as "truly free"?
    sugarpova said:

Sam, were you being pedantic, perverse, stupid or just trying to wind someone up for the fun of it ?Because you are making an assertion about human psychology, and I am faithfully reproducing TalkTalk's contractual position. Hard facts trump soft facts, alas.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    There's a post from one of TalkTalk's OCEs (company official) on the TalKTalk Members website that says...

"I've just checked the status page and the information there has been updated.

The page shows an expected date 23/09/13 for a trial release of new software to a limited number of customers to confirm that the fault is fixed.

Let's hope the repair works. "
  • Debbie BowersDebbie Bowers Posts: 1Member
    edited 12 September 2013, 10:57AM
    I also have this problem.... Very annoying indeed! Talktalk please fix ASAP.... Missing lots of good dramas :-(
  • rustydunrustydun Posts: 3Member
    edited 13 September 2013, 9:32AM
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    you view box will not record channel 20. always says failed.......

The youview box will not record on channel 20 (Drama) will pause and play but will not record just say's failed all the time now I've mist them now and the were the first episodes in the series, I've tried updating software, turning of the box and back on after 3 min. it still will not record channel 20 every other channel will record as normal just not channel 20. can you sort this out please. I don't have a problem with my Freeview dvd recorder or btvison box they will record but this is the main box for the house and theses are my programs I want to watch
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    There's just been a new software version released to some of TalkTalk's customers who are taking part in a trial.
    This includes a fix for the Drama record problem.
    TalkTalk forum members have reported that this has been resolved.
    So with luck this will be on general release in the not too distant future.
    SmileySmileySmiley