How can I get rid of the lady who is giving sign language on my screen. I have tried all the usual t

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 January 2018, 10:14AM

Someone tell me how to sort this out, it's doin mans head in!

The best thing for you (and us) would be for you to take or send the YouView box back to where you got it from.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    A possible solution for this would be for YouView to offer a special zoom mode that expands the original broadcast to fit the full YouView screen.

This could be called the SOS (Signer Off Screen) Zoom mode.

Something for a future sprint?
  • John Gordon DownesJohn Gordon Downes Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Excellent suggestion Roy! Should not be beyond the bounds of technical genius to have a switch for audibly disabled signage to be 'on'or 'off'!
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 January 2017, 1:36PM

Excellent suggestion Roy! Should not be beyond the bounds of technical genius to have a switch for audibly disabled signage to be 'on'or 'off'!

Ye gods!!!
    edited 22 January 2018, 10:13AM
    Nope, just mere mortals much like yourself, redchiz, I assure you :-)
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭
    I was pondering the idea of different screen modes and I thought that it would be useful to have a Picture Rotation (PR) mode. In this mode the picture on the screen would be rotated through 90 degrees for watching the TV whilst reclining on the sofa. It could be called the Personal Reclining In Comfort mode.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭
    Do you not find it is more like 45 degrees though, or sometimes more, sometimes less? Perhaps a headset linked to the box could correlate the angle of the picture on the fly.
    It wouldn't be allowed, jonesh. The problem is that when you watched a short trailer for an upcoming programme in that mode, it would have to be called a Pricteaser :-)
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 January 2018, 10:15AM
    Roy said:
    It wouldn't be allowed, jonesh. The problem is that when you watched a short trailer for an upcoming programme in that mode, it would have to be called a Pricteaser :-)
    Honestly. Some people's minds :-)
  • BlackjackMulliganBlackjackMulligan Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Why is sign language necessary?  If you can't hear the audio put the subtitles on.
  • Well said @Roy
  • John29John29 Member Posts: 46
    Absolutely shocking. How inconsiderate to provide sign language on a late night repeat of a programme.

99% of programming is unsigned. You have the option of watching the original airing, or the unsigned catch-up/on demand version.

The deaf on the other hand don't have any such choice. Quite right that Ofcom insist programmes are repeated late at night with signing. If you think this is inconsiderate I think you need to have a long hard look in the mirror. A little tolerance goes a long way.
  • He mightn't like what's looking back  :D
  • MortifiedMortified Member Posts: 1
    I'm late to this discussion (and new to this forum) so apologies for bringing it up again. I Googled this morning to see if I could get rid of the sign language and ended up here which has proven to be very helpful. My main issue is that I was watching an 'on demand' programme from quite a while ago having been recommended a series by a relative.

However, there doesn't seem to be any other version available other than the one with the sign language.  Presumably the on demand version was one which was shown late at night maybe earlier in the week. 

It was initially distracting but not impossible to enjoy once you got used to it. 
    edited 24 April 2018, 4:09PM
    Mortified said:
    I'm late to this discussion (and new to this forum) so apologies for bringing it up again. I Googled this morning to see if I could get rid of the sign language and ended up here which has proven to be very helpful. My main issue is that I was watching an 'on demand' programme from quite a while ago having been recommended a series by a relative.

However, there doesn't seem to be any other version available other than the one with the sign language.  Presumably the on demand version was one which was shown late at night maybe earlier in the week. 

It was initially distracting but not impossible to enjoy once you got used to it. 
    Cut yourself a big cardboard bezel, sellotape it on, and pretend your screen is smaller than it actually is :p
  • stormstorm Member Posts: 2
    Just searched about how to turn off the signing lady and it sent me here. So I'm awake at the moment -2.59am not cos I'm deaf but because I have a different medical issue whereby my medication makes it hard for me to sleep. I'm in favour of being able to have the option of on/off button cos it is distracting and puts me off otherwise I wouldn't be paying no attention now to the film and typing this down. What I don't get is why she appears and disappears cos even though there's no talking there is music or groans etc that add to the intensity of the programme that a deaf person would not be aware of unless informed of. The subtitles state this but the signer dosnt cos they disappear. ?? Even during the adverts they disappear too ?? So I'm confused why there isn't an on/off switch . The subtitles have one and even still available with the signer if someone wants it. So if it's about people showing a bit of heart or consideration then why don't the broadcaster show it to me too as I'm disabled and find the signer disrupting my viewing. Plus they are getting bigger too and that's true. Deaf folk aren't blind !!! I vote for having a choice of on or off. ☺
  • stormstorm Member Posts: 2
    Looks like I'm the only one up at this time in the morning. Wierd that and I'm not deaf......🤔🤔
    @storm

If you were the only one up at this time in the morning, then yes, the signing would be rather wasted  :p

But you won’t have been, and even if you were, there will have been aurally, visually, and orthographically challenged people setting recordings for these signed versions.

The reason the signing on a signed version can’t be turned off, like subtitles can, is that it is a single blended high bandwidth video stream, which is not the case for subtitles, a low bandwidth service provided in the stream metadata.

If you have a TV that can do it, you may be able to zoom in and exclude the signing in whole or part; if not, you can try the cardboard bezel I suggested above.

Alternatively, where possible, pre-plan your nocturnal viewing, either to ensure you can watch an unsigned version on a catchup Player, or to record the unsigned version earlier ready to watch when you want.

Or just watch something on another channel.....
  • Ar136Ar136 Member Posts: 3
    I am deaf but find the signing really distracting. Subtitles are adequate and easier, why do Ofcom feel we need signing and subtitles, they are both visual.
    Ar136 said:
    I am deaf but find the signing really distracting. Subtitles are adequate and easier, why do Ofcom feel we need signing and subtitles, they are both visual.
    @Art136

I am guessing that though deaf, you are not dyslexic.
    edited 3 August 2020, 8:38AM
    Roy said:
    Ar136 said:
    @Art136

I am guessing that though deaf, you aren’t dyslexic!
    John29 said:
    Absolutely shocking. How inconsiderate to provide sign language on a late night repeat of a programme.

99% of programming is unsigned. You have the option of watching the original airing, or the unsigned catch-up/on demand version.

The deaf on the other hand don't have any such choice. Quite right that Ofcom insist programmes are repeated late at night with signing. If you think this is inconsiderate I think you need to have a long hard look in the mirror. A little tolerance goes a long way.
    Ah, I hadn’t thought of that!
    Ar136 said:
    @Ar136

If you nip back a couple of posts, and touch the little chevron (down arrow) top right on the posts with all those spurious John29 entries, you will find it says Edit, and you can chose this, go into the post, and clean it up a bit 😛

• tracey27tracey27 Member Posts: 1
    Agree it's really annoying and there should be subtitles, not signing.  The program I am watching has the signer either distracting, or obliterating part of the screen that has detail on it that is integral to the show.    I must admit the signing to The Inbetweeners is entertainment in itself though.
    edited 11 August 2020, 6:48AM
    tracey27 said:
    Agree it's really annoying and there should be subtitles, not signing.  The program I am watching has the signer either distracting, or obliterating part of the screen that has detail on it that is integral to the show.    I must admit the signing to The Inbetweeners is entertainment in itself though.
    You need to contact all the broadcasters who use signing, individually, to request they respect your signophobia by restricting the way that differently abled persons, already limited in how they can enjoy television programmes, see them presented, and restrict them even further.

This has nothing to do with YouView, the passive relayer of this broadcasting; and therefore, without wanting to no-platform you exactly, I would suggest that the YouView Community is not an appropriate place to discuss this.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 408 ✭✭
    tracey27 said:
    It's how deaf people communicate. It's more immediate than subtitles, which is why there is someone doing this at some press conferences, most notably in Scotland.

These signed programmes are on during the night or on catchup services. The originals, as I think has previously been mentioned, are normally on during peak times and also catchup, so you have more choice than this group who are affected.

@Sarah, can this thread be locked, as I think it's in danger of attracting trolls, as this members first and only post seems to show.
  • LukеLukе Member Posts: 53
    Ar136 said:
    why do Ofcom feel we need signing and subtitles

Firstly, providing accessibility options is part of the UK's Communication act 2003.  See sections 303, 304 and 305. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/303

OFCOM being involved and providing guidelines and other responsibilities are also part of the act.

Also, OFCOM do have consultations inviting responses on various topics and this has, and still does, include accessibility topics.  Both the formal consultation documents and their responses can contain arguments from different perspectives.  This is where you will be available to find the reasoning within the scope of the consultation's topic.

Consultations from OFCOM are publicly available via the OFCOM website, and that includes:  - the very recent "Review of Ofcom's Code on Television Access Services and Guidance on BBC Accessibility":
    - the currently in progress "Further consultation: Making on-demand services accessible";
    - consultations and some responses to those consultations going back at least 17 years for accessibility topics.

This discussion has been closed.