Virgin Media launch Netflix

Paul_WhiteheadPaul_Whitehead Member Posts: 29
edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM in Archived Posts
So after so many hints, twitter feeds concerning new on demand content coming to YouView along with the delayed ability to record Internet channels, we here that Netflix are going onto Virgin Media. It really does look that YouView is all talk and no action! Millions spent on advertising yet the service has not moved on during the past year. Failure waiting to happen?

Comments

• sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    This is surely an off-shore pilot for VM's new owners. :-)
  • Paul_WhiteheadPaul_Whitehead Member Posts: 29
    edited 10 September 2013, 11:44AM
    sam1 said:

This is surely an off-shore pilot for VM's new owners. :-)

Seems to me that YouView are not good enough or big enough for the likes of Netflix. If YouView are not able to sign up Netflix or Lovefilm then I think the project will die under the competition of Virgin, NowTV. I hope YouView are not all huff and puff as a decent free pvr with the options of paid for content undercutting Sky is enviable. But I don't have much hope.

January 31, 2013. by John Moulding

Not welcome: Liberty Global does not want Netflix in its homes...unless it is as a channel partner

Mike Fries, President and CEO at Liberty Global, made it clear last week that he expected his various cable operations to see off the threat of Netflix in his subscriber homes thanks to the better user experience you get with the Horizon platform. He was talking to the Bloomberg news channel from Davos in Switzerland and declared: “Nobody is going to get their OTT services from Netflix when we’re done.”

Liberty Global has previously outlined the conditions under which it could actually partner with Netflix, however. Speaking at the IHS Future of Digital Media Distribution conference in London last October, Bob Greene, Managing Director of Online Entertainment at Liberty Global International, stated: “Netflix is not an aggregator; it is a channel. We could work with Netflix and look at them as another channel, the same as HBO. We talk to everyone.

“The roadblock to that happening is the question of who owns the consumer and the integration of their content into this aggregator world. They want access to 20 million customers and that is real hard to do, so this [approach, i.e. being a channel partner] is how you get access. For a cable operator, they can be a competitor or you can embrace them. We could [embrace them] in a model that works for us and for them, where they get paid and we get paid.”
    http://www.v-net.tv/liberty-global-di...

VM customers will need a Netflix subscription. So everybody gets paid. :-)
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Does any platform offer Netflix without subscription?
  • Paul_WhiteheadPaul_Whitehead Member Posts: 29
    edited 10 September 2013, 3:16PM
    redchiz said:

No. I have Netflix which I pay 5.99 for I regard this as good value, I get this via Apple TV but it would be nice if this was on YouView. NowTV is there, which is expensive, so why not Netflix?
    The answer, to quote QI, is: "Nobody knows."

Issues around this have been widely discussed elsewhere across these pages, it is deeply frustrating that YouView have not as yet, for whatever reason, widened the number of providers available.

One thing I would say in defence of NOW TV though, with all the offers constantly available there is no reason why anybody should be paying anywhere near full whack for that service.
    is there any platform, up until now, on which the customer is charged a subscription for access to the platform and then a second subscription for Netflix?

If it works in this pilot run - if customers prove willing to pay for Netflix on top of their cable sub - then Netflix may gain access not only to the rest of VM but also to Liberty Global's 20 million cable customers in the US.

Could be a game-changer.
    is there any platform, up until now, on which the customer is charged a subscription for access to the platform and then a second subscription for Netflix?
    Not Netflix specifically, but Sky have long had other content available for subscription on top of their own subscription, so I don't quite see where the "game-changer" thesis comes from.
    It's the 20m customers that could make it a gamechanger.
    20 million cable customers in the USA is equivalent to about 2 million in the UK. Calm down dear. Smiley
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Gamechanger for who? Netflix in the USA?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    redchiz said:

20 million cable customers in the USA is equivalent to about 2 million in the UK. Calm down dear. Smiley

Snap! Smiley
    Where NetFlix goes, others will want to follow. I'm guessing that it might give VM a significant boost in the OTT stakes.

Of course, I may be wrong. It has been known to happen. :-)
    edited 10 September 2013, 8:14PM
    redchiz said:

Sorry, didn't get that.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Heres an interesting read and comparison on all the main OTT services available in the UK. The conclusion (as I read it) is that none of them are perfect, but may suit some...

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/06/the-...
    And here's a link to show I am not the only one who sees the VM - Netflix deal as significant. :-)

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013...
    Nobody argued that it wasn't significant. But I am glad that Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities in Los Angeles, makes you feel better. Smiley
    edited 10 September 2013, 8:49PM
    redchiz said:

Nobody argued that it wasn't significant. But I am glad that Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities in Los Angeles, makes you feel better. Smiley

Better than who? :-)
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Ah, just "better" you know? Like when you have a cuddle. Or just a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.

Whilst watching the vast array of choices on YouView. Smiley
    edited 10 September 2013, 9:30PM
    redchiz said:

:-)