do i need a subscription to Talk Talk or BT, to use a Youview box?

Ivan LewisIvan Lewis Member Posts: 2
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Youview box, & was wonderig if i need to have a subscription to BT or Talk Talk, in order to view programmes without limitations.
I have a choice of 2 options, one has Talk Talk on the box, the other has BT written on it. Do i need to have a broadband account with either of these, or would the box have restrictions, like a Sky+ box, when the Sky subscription ends?

Comments

• DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 2:39PM
    Hey, Ivan
    BT or TalkTalk are by no means necessary but can bring benefits.

I'm with Virgin myself and sourced my box through retail. Any YouView box (including BT or TalkTalk branded ones) can work with any ISP and will deliver all core YouView services without limitation.

So, that's all the DTT channels your aeriel can pick up plus on demand/catch-up content supplied via YouView apps from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five and UKTV with no contract.

Sky's NowTV gives access to movies but these are not for free, of course.

TalkTalk & BT then add to this core with their own offerings of further on-demand content and subscription channels over the internet ...these of course are subject to subscription and/or certain broadband packages however.
  • Ivan LewisIvan Lewis Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 October 2013, 2:44PM
    that's great, thanks for your help. sounds like it's a much better option than my current freesat setup, as i can only view the programme guide for 2 hours ahead, which is a bizarre setup for recording, as you have to set the timer within the 2 hours before.

Cheers!
  • Craig1Craig1 Member Posts: 21
    edited 8 August 2016, 10:59AM
    I have just tried to cancel my 'BT Vision Essentials' subscription @ £5pm, as I havent used it. I was told by BT that if I cancelled my 'BT Vision Essentials' catchup TV would no longer work, eg iPlayer would no longer function on the BT branded YouView box. Is this information from BT correct?
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 23 October 2013, 1:38PM
    Craig1 said:

I have just tried to cancel my 'BT Vision Essentials' subscription @ £5pm, as I havent used it. I was told by BT that if I cancelled my 'BT Vision Essentials' catchup TV would no longer work, eg iPlayer would no longer function on the BT branded YouView box. Is this information from BT correct?

No they are lying to you
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    They are wrong, Craig.

Once your £5 x 12mth BT TV contract is up you can cancel it and the only thing you will lose is access to the BT Vision Player. The Catch Up services are provided (freely) by the channels themselves, and are nothing to do with BT.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bts-staff-are...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    BT: Badly Trained

• Craig1Craig1 Member Posts: 21
    edited 30 November 2016, 3:59PM
    Thank you for replies :) I have spoken to 4 different people at BT today,3 in sales and 1 in tech support. They all told me if I cancelled it would affect the you view box. One said it would only function as a freeview box, and I would be unable to record or watch any catchup at all. As they all said slightly different things, and contradicted themselves I smelt a rat, so I have cancelled anyway.
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    DM2 said:

It's beginning to look more like misrepresentation than poor training.

I wonder how many customers have reluctantly signed up again because they've been misinformed.
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    DM2 said:

Of course its misrepresentation. But it is down to poor training.

Saying that though, they would get into a lot of trouble over this if someone were to report them. But first, a complaint has to be made directly to the company.

But I wouldn't faff about -

[email protected]
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    DM2 said:

If it was just down to poor training, BT might get away with a scolding. But if there are incentives to persuade customers to sign up again, and some staff have hit on this wheeze as an effective argument, that's rather different.

Which has a good explanation of the Misrepresentation Act.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-right...
  • Trevor AndersonTrevor Anderson Member Posts: 13
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi all, I think sadly this is all true! I purchased a used BT Youview box today, a BT HUMAX DTR-T1000. Firstly let me add, I have a BT telephone & Broadband account. I DO NOT subrcribe to BT Vision services.

I installed the Bt Humax Youview box by connecting this box direct to my BT Router via 2 metre Ethernet cable, reset the Youview Box and set 'agreed' on Terms & Conditions'.

The Youview box states it is connected to Internet and provides correct IP address/Subnet address/DNS address, etc. BUT... No on-demand services, therefore no BBC iPlayer!

On contacting BT, I was first put through to their Tech Dept. They went through set up & reset doing much the same as I have already tried. Then the engineer went away for a few moments to reveal - I am not a subscriber to BT Vision. On demand has to be paid for, so...

I was then put through to Sales, who tried unsuccessfully to sell me an Infinity Package + BT Vision. I explained I only need iPlayer services. Having spoke with his supervisor I was then advised, £49 connection charge + £5 per month to get on line services including Youview iPlayers.

It is clear that without On Demand services, blocked by BT until a subscription is paid for, iPlayers CANNOT and will not work.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me a way around this?

Thanks, Tandy
  • Robert DaviesRobert Davies Member Posts: 5
    They are correct that you won't be able to record catchup services, none of us 'retailers' can at the moment. But the box should just function as a retail box. I suspect BT would be in breach of the YouView terms if they disabled what is core functionality. My retail box used to 'show' BT channels when I was a BT Broadband customer, I couldn't do anything with them and eventually they disappeared once the software updated and it realised I wasn't a subscriber. But the core players, iPlayer, itv Player, 4OD, Demand 5 and Dave are all available.
    Try a full factory reset if all else fails.
  • Robert DaviesRobert Davies Member Posts: 5
    Craig1 said:

Thank you for replies :) I have spoken to 4 different people at BT today,3 in sales and 1 in tech support. They all told me if I cancelled it would affect the you view box. One said it would only function as a freeview box, and I would be unable to record or watch any catchup at all. As they all said slightly different things, and contradicted themselves I smelt a rat, so I have cancelled anyway.

They're all partly right - they're right about recording catchup shows and right about their own content. Completely wrong about pretty much everything else.
  • George Danger BanksGeorge Danger Banks Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi guys, it I don't have internet at home can I still use this box to record off say BBC hd (like a recordable freeview box)?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 10:30PM

Hi guys, it I don't have internet at home can I still use this box to record off say BBC hd (like a recordable freeview box)?

Hi George - yes the PVR functionality of the box will work without an internet connection in general so recording from freeview channels will be fine. You would of course not get the 7 day backwards guide or be able to access the on demand players but setting recordings via the 7 day forwards guide and viewing them would work broadly like a standard PVR. The search function, even for the guide, does I think depend on the internet connection so that may not work.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a YouView box without an internet connection. Because it uses both an internet and aerial connection to work fully, as Keith mentions above.

Note - the EPG also wouldn't work/populate correctly, as that is maintained by a combination of both internet and over the air updates. 
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM

It's only the add-on stuff that you lose when not connected. The EPG populates over the air quite satisfactorily for PVR use.
  • Damien1Damien1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 April 2015, 5:41PM

Hi all, I think sadly this is all true! I purchased a used BT Youview box today, a BT HUMAX DTR-T1000. Firstly let me add, I have a BT telephone & Broadband account. I DO NOT subrcribe to BT Vision services.

I installed the Bt Humax Youview box by connecting this box direct to my BT Router via 2 metre Ethernet cable, reset the Youview Box and set 'agreed' on Terms & Conditions'.

The Youview box states it is connected to Internet and provides correct IP address/Subnet address/DNS address, etc. BUT... No on-demand services, therefore no BBC iPlayer!

On contacting BT, I was first put through to their Tech Dept. They went through set up & reset doing much the same as I have already tried. Then the engineer went away for a few moments to reveal - I am not a subscriber to BT Vision. On demand has to be paid for, so...

I was then put through to Sales, who tried unsuccessfully to sell me an Infinity Package + BT Vision. I explained I only need iPlayer services. Having spoke with his supervisor I was then advised, £49 connection charge + £5 per month to get on line services including Youview iPlayers.

It is clear that without On Demand services, blocked by BT until a subscription is paid for, iPlayers CANNOT and will not work.

Thanks, Tandy

It sounds like BT are deliberately blocking the Humax DTR units that they provided from accessing on demand/catch up through a BT internet service unless you pay them a BT vision subscription. Maybe if you switched to another internet service provider (other than BT or Talk Talk) the on demand services would work, because no other service provider would have any reason to block on demand access.  

Thanks, Tandy

Hi Damien and welcome to the forum.

You are responding to a post made over a year ago. If you hover your mouse over the '1 year ago' tag in the top right corner of the post it gives one a date of December 13, 2013.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM

Thanks, Tandy

And while it is sad that no-one responded to Tandy at the time, (ego sum reus est) this is the only report of BT blocking on demand, and I would hazard a strong guess that it was a problem with the box preventing on demand, and nothing that BT were doing.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,040 ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 9:35PM

Thanks, Tandy

There is another posting  from Tandy in his hown thread  from Dec 15 2013

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/_boot_fail_invalid_signature_humax_dtr_t1000

which confirms that the  used box he bought was unable to receive  software updates - hence not be updateable to receive current versions of the players

Thanks, Tandy

Well spotted, zulu17!

Though it grieves me to let BT off any hook, it looks like they are off this one.

And it looks like the reason Trevor got no response to this posting was that he moved on to a thread of his own, where he got a cornucopia of responses, including a couple of mine.

Aren't we all fine fellows after all? :-)
  • rob gunterrob gunter Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    If you have pc tablet games consoles mobiles you get all those players free why would u be gullible..........

If you have pc tablet games consoles mobiles you get all those players free why would u be gullible..........

Hi rob and welcome to the Community!

But are you replying to those people who have been waiting two years for an answer, or those who have been waiting only one? :-)

And you also need to carefully qualify your answer. While each of the devices you reference might carry one or two players, there are few if any that carry all the players, even the 'big four.'