Quest broadcasting in wrong format again.

Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM in Archived Posts
Quest on LCN 38 are again broadcasting their output without the "16:9 flag" which means all images are compressed to anamorphic 4:3.

This is not a fault with your YouView box and cannot be corrected unless you use a SCART connection and your TV has the facility to manually change the on-screen format to 16:9.

Address complaints to [email protected] or contact OfCom explaining that the channel is not broadcasting in compliance with UK standards.

Comments

• Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 6:05PM
    How are they not broadcasting in compliance with UK standards?
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    They are not sending the "16:9 flag", the short bit of code that tells the receiver that the transmission is anamorphic and should be stretched to 16:9.

Over SCART this is done by applying a voltage between 5 and 8 volts to pin 8
    edited 14 October 2013, 5:54PM
    Lbear1 said:

They are not sending the "16:9 flag", the short bit of code that tells the receiver that the transmission is anamorphic and should be stretched to 16:9.

No they are not, but how are they not broadcasting in compliance with UK standards?
    edited 14 October 2013, 6:05PM
    Lbear1 said:

Presumably they are required to transmit the correct programme data under the terms of their OfCom licence.
    edited 14 October 2013, 6:12PM
    Lbear1 said:

I'm sure Ofcom probably don't care as long as they pay for their licence. Nethertheless it is an annoying issue that is now happening for the third time that I'm aware of.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Lbear1 said:

Hi Peter, thanks for flagging this and I can see this does appear to have returned to how it was before so I will raise this with Quest.

Thanks,

Phil
  • Matt BellMatt Bell Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi,

I have a Humax t1000 YouView box and I am having the same issue. Strangely though when I use the tuner in my TV it displays correctly in 16:9 no borders?!
    edited 16 October 2013, 10:27PM
    Matt Bell said:

Hi,

I have a Humax t1000 YouView box and I am having the same issue. Strangely though when I use the tuner in my TV it displays correctly in 16:9 no borders?!

If you drill into the settings on your TV, you will likely find that the widescreen setting is "16:9" which forces everything to be stretched. If you can change it to another setting (likely "Automatic"), it will only stretch if it gets that flag in the programme data.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    Matt Bell said:

Hi,

Hi guys, just to add this has now been fixed again by Quest TV. Thanks