YouView Android App Update October 2013

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Announcements
An exciting new update to the YouView App for Android is now available (may take up to 24 hours to go live on the Google PlayTM Store).

The YouView App is available free from Google PlayTM Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

This new update brings some great improvements and features including:

1) You can now search for programmes which are on YouView over the next 7 days, as well as search for channels.
- The search feature can be accessed using the search button at the top right of the screen on the TV guide, and ‘Now & Next’.
- When you start typing a search term, suggestions will be presented based on the letters you've entered.

Please be aware that programme search on the YouView App for Android relies on an update to the cached data within the app. This can take up to 24 hours to refresh after the App update is first installed.

After this period you will be able to search for individual programmes, as well as channels.

2) On compatible Android devices, you can search using voice-to- text entry.
- On the search page, compatible devices will display a microphone on the keyboard. Pressing this button will initiate the voice entry feature, where you can say the name of a programme or channel, the search term will be entered, and the search suggestion will be displayed as normal
- The Android devices optimised for voice to text search are LG Nexus 4, HTC One S, Samsung Galaxy Ace. Samsung Galaxy S2 and Samsung Galaxy S3.

3) A redesigned date selector has been introduced to match the design on the TV Guide of the YouView box.
- Pressing the date will display the current time and date, while pressing this again will close the date selector.

4) Programme information page now includes links to related programmes to make it easier for you to find a programme you are looking for. This will include links to the HD version of the programme where available, whether the programme is repeated, and links to other episodes in the same series.

More detailed information for the new YouView Android update can be found on the release notes http://support.youview.com/articles/S....

Requirements:
Mobile Devices: The YouView App for Android can be downloaded on most Android 2.3+ devices and has been tested to support the following smartphones:
Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Nexus 4, HTC One S and Samsung Galaxy Ace

The YouView App is free, but mobile network and/or Wi-Fi charges may apply.
The terms and conditions of using the app be found directly via the app menu, or on the YouView website at http://www.youview.com/terms-conditio...
YouView:

The YouView App is compatible with all YouView set-top boxes which allow live TV recording.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc.

Google PlayTM is a trademark of Google Inc.

Comments

• stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    Nice :) thanks.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    Search isn't coming up with anything here. I take it I have to be on the correct day before it will search.
    Nothing was suggested when I tried to type/say Neighbours except channel suggestions.

Galaxy S3
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    al said:

Search isn't coming up with anything here. I take it I have to be on the correct day before it will search.
    Nothing was suggested when I tried to type/say Neighbours except channel suggestions.

Galaxy S3

It seems to be working great on my Nexus 4.

Edit: Neighbours brings up loads for me.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 8:55PM
    al said:

Galaxy S3

Hi al, the programme search on the YouView App for Android relies on an update to the cached data within the app. This can take up to 24 hours to refresh after the app update is first installed. After this time you should be able to use the programme search.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    I have found an issue though, Drama channel 20 is missing, and if you search for a programme on that channel, then try to select it, crash...
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    al said:

Galaxy S3

a

That's all I'm getting. If I add the "i" next, all suggestions are gone.
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    al said:

Galaxy S3

Ah thanks Phil. It took me so long to figure out how to add the picture that you beat me to it!
  • froddygrahamfroddygraham Member Posts: 4
    edited 17 November 2015, 5:27PM
    Far from being an upgrade I'm afraid for me it's a downgrade. See my previous post.
    Now it won't load at all no matter how many times I try. Usually sticks at the "loading" stage although sometimes manages to populate the channel list (see image).
    Going to have to give up with this and assume my phone/android version is never going to work.
  • parneyparney Member Posts: 89
    edited 30 October 2013, 9:42PM
    Nice update. Although the scroll in the main guide is still terribly jerky and only moves a page at a time. Is this just me? I really can't see why my Nexus 4 would be any different.
  • MorganMorgan Member Posts: 35

Far from being an upgrade I'm afraid for me it's a downgrade. See my previous post.
    Now it won't load at all no matter how many times I try. Usually sticks at the "loading" stage although sometimes manages to populate the channel list (see image).
    Going to have to give up with this and assume my phone/android version is never going to work.

Hello froddygraham,

I'm sorry the YouView App is still not working for you; although the symptoms you describe now seem to be slightly different from previously?

Following your previous post I did attempt to get hold of a HUAWEI Ascend G330 to allow us to diagnose. However, I was not successful.

I will try again.
  • Shaun EdwardsShaun Edwards Member Posts: 70
    edited 31 January 2015, 3:55PM
    Did anyone notice the date in which they took a screenshot of the app update?

January 7th??

Seriously??
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,207 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    If it was down to me, I'd have had them redo the screenshot at the end of the development period, to replace the mock-up from the start of it.

(And by the way, what have you got against epileptics?)
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Shaun EdwardsShaun Edwards Member Posts: 70
    edited 31 January 2015, 3:55PM
    @roy

I have nothing against epileptics. What sort of question is that. You are one to talk with all your sarcastic answers on this very forum, so I suggest you leave it.

Have a nice day!
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Roy and Shaun, I have removed your posts due to flaming which is against our forum rules and the spirit of discussion we would like here.

Phil
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi Roy and Shaun, I have removed your posts due to flaming which is against our forum rules and the spirit of discussion we would like here.

Phil

Hi Phil

I am sorry that you dismissed my helpful suggestion for the future as 'flaming', which it clearly wasn't.

But going to the change log to dispute the change, I find it impossible to determine which of the three it was. Can you help me here?
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    stormy said:

I have found an issue though, Drama channel 20 is missing, and if you search for a programme on that channel, then try to select it, crash...

This seems to work now, so may have needed 24 hours afterall
    stormy said:

Hi Stormy, thanks for following up with your report.

It is very useful info.
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    stormy said:

It's because it's Hallowe'en, when the Curse of Channel 20 is lifted.
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Hi Roy, it was the second comment and the feedback on the screenshot was noted with the development team. The screen capture isn't a direct capture from a handset.

The comment at the end of the suggestion directed at another user is the reason it was removed.
  • edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi Phil
    The change log for this thread is rather strange.
    There seems to have been a lot of changes but there are no reasons given.
    Presumably this is at your discretion, but it would be helpful for others to know why decisions to delete posts are being made.
    Anyone subscribed to the thread will be able to find a copy of a deleted message, so by reviewing this in the light of your decision to delete it might encourage them not to make the same mistakes.
    stormy said:

:)
    gwatuk said:

Hi Phil
    The change log for this thread is rather strange.
    There seems to have been a lot of changes but there are no reasons given.
    Presumably this is at your discretion, but it would be helpful for others to know why decisions to delete posts are being made.
    Anyone subscribed to the thread will be able to find a copy of a deleted message, so by reviewing this in the light of your decision to delete it might encourage them not to make the same mistakes.

Hi gwatuk, there has been a removal of 3 posts in a row due to the nature of the discussion and where it was leading. I have put a description of the behavior underneath for users to see. If it was one post I would usually do this for the change- log, but in the context of a discussion where the information is hidden I feel a single post is sufficient.

I'm happy for any party to dispute the removal of a comment if they feel it is valid, and also your feedback has been taken on-board for future reference.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Phil8 said:

Phil

Ah, OK, thanks, I understand now. I will post about this in my 'dispute' notice.
  • froddygrahamfroddygraham Member Posts: 4
    edited 31 October 2013, 7:30PM

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your reply.

The only significant difference seems to me to be that it now doesn't load all :-(

My HUAWEI phone is one from your partner TalkTalk's range - perhaps they would lend you one. I would have thought it would be in their interest too since they must have other customers tied in to 2yr contracts on this phone and one can only get a TalkTalk mobile if one is already a TT customer. Might be worth a go....

Cheers
    Graham

PS Haven't found any other apps yet that have problems with my HUAWEI/Android ICS combo.

Hello froddygraham,

We've now managed to acquire a Huawei G330.

The YouView App is definitely not as stable as it needs to be on this device. Thanks for letting us know. I seem to be getting a slightly better experience on this device than you are; but still not good enough.

We'll spend some time diagnosing the problem, and hopefully find some improvements that we can deploy in a future version.

Our next Android App release (v2.1) has already hit QA, so any improvements on this issue are only likely to be included _after_ v2.1. Thanks for your patience.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    when will we see the updated android app that allows ip recording..we don't all have iphone's you know :)
    we don't all have iphone's you know :)
    Xmas is coming! :-)
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    Problem is I have gone for YouView because I don't like paying over inflated prices from companies that try to lock down the market for themselves ;-)
    scott said:

Problem is I have gone for YouView because I don't like paying over inflated prices from companies that try to lock down the market for themselves ;-)

:-)
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    scott said: