Dolby Digital Plus broken

Steve PowellSteve Powell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I see the BT box is now outputting Dolby Digital Plus on some HD versions of the extra channels (e.g. Comedy Central and MTV). There's a major problem with it though: it only works for a short time.

When you first change to a channel with Dolby Digital Plus, it works fine for anywhere between a few seconds and a couple of minutes. Then the YouView box stops sending any audio at all. Once that happens, the receiver says the HDMI is carrying analog audio with a zero level. Switching to a different channel and straight back again causes it to output Dolby Digital Plus again for a short time, so it seems to be the YouView box, not the channels. Ordinarily the YouView box never sends analog audio via HDMI anyway, it sends PCM digital 2.0 audio, so something is really messed up here.

Has anyone else who uses a surround sound system noticed this? It makes at least two of the channels in BT's £3 HD upgrade useless to me, and while I don't watch the channels I have found with this issue, I do watch some of the others. My main concern is that Dolby Digital Plus will get turned on by the other HD channels and they will be broken too. I am using HDMI between YouView and receiver, and HDMI from there to the TV, and I have the YouView box set to output Surround via HDMI.

I've used a number of different HDMI devices over the last few years and the YouView box is the only one that's ever had issues, which is frustrating.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I believe a workaround might be to turn off surround on the SP/DIF, and drop that back to plain stereo.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Steve PowellSteve Powell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited 15 November 2013, 4:20PM
    I'll try that later, thanks.
  • UdayUday Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    try using a HDMI 1.4 compatible cable. The same happens with receivers with ARC technology where HDMI 1.4 or above is not used. The sound packets (encoded/decoded) is not being transferred fast enough via a lesser cable and instead of going out of sync, it simply stops the audio from being output via your receiver.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Uday said:

try using a HDMI 1.4 compatible cable. The same happens with receivers with ARC technology where HDMI 1.4 or above is not used. The sound packets (encoded/decoded) is not being transferred fast enough via a lesser cable and instead of going out of sync, it simply stops the audio from being output via your receiver.

HDMI cables are one of five types, but the types do not embrace any particular HDMI point level, and it is misleading to describe them as such.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_...

A high speed cable is recommended for 1080p and above, and as the YouView box can output 1080p, I would hope that the HDMI cable included as standard in the box would be a high speed one!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris