It's Summer Time....

RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
...or at least it was till the clocks went back a week or two ago, but my Humax YouView box never noticed that happening :-(

Loading another tranche of Breaking Bad into the BluRay player sitting under the in-standby YouView box, I noticed the YouView box said 22:45. But a quick check round showed me it was in fact just 21:45; oh goody, time for one more episode.

But what was the YouView box thinking? Later, I turned it on, at 22:35 with the front display showing 23:35, and on screen the time was exactly right, 22:35. But I couldn't find anywhere in the menus to reset the time. And indeed, I'd expect the YouView box to be getting the time off-air.

But turning it off again, the orange display was still the hour ahead.

The magic 8-second reset did finally fix it. But is this a general issue, or just a local glitch? Should the front display adjust when the clocks change? I'd expect it to.

Anyone else with a Humax who hasn't done a reset since the BST to GMT switch - is your orange time display correct, or has it stayed unadjusted like mine?
Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?

Comments

• Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 17 November 2013, 6:05PM
    Are you on DHCP or using a static IP?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Auto - DHCP. How would that matter?
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Posts: 772Member
    edited 17 November 2013, 6:05PM
    May be picking up the time from your router. So possibly doesn't pick up a chance until the DHCP lease is renewed? I would have expected it to pick it up from the TV broadcast though
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 13 November 2013, 9:01AM
    My retail Humax box has the correct time, and I did nothing to update it, it changed the same way my existing HDR FOX T2 did, I always presumed that they got the time signal from Freeview?
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    Not noticed anything on mine, have not looked at the time but have not lost any recordings as a result. So I assume its all good?
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member
    It seems destined to come up twice a year.

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    JamesB said:

It seems destined to come up twice a year.

Yes, and look who posted in that thread - looks like I dodged the bullet there with the reset I did :-(

I guess as YouView gets more reliable, and the need for resets lessens, these subtler issues will surface. And of course, there was no October update to cause a reset either, which would have masked it.

Phil (and Keith) looks like one for the bug list. YouView, you have six months. On your marks......
    Its probably another issue which doesnt happen on a box that is set to Eco High (which mine is) as I guess it gets reset.
    stormy said:

Its probably another issue which doesnt happen on a box that is set to Eco High (which mine is) as I guess it gets reset.

Yes, certainly I am in the only mode available to users of the remote app.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    I've added this to the in the consolidated list of bugs and faults as item 26.

This is not the first clock/time related bug and if one looks back at those topics then Piers previously explained that the box sets its internal clock at full startup using the DTT broadcast time or if that is not possible then via NTP. The front panel clock is in turn set from that and neither clock has any battery backup. Quite what the fix for bug 18 was and hence whether the box now does do more periodic time checks and how it then uses such a check is not entirely clear.

Based on the problem description here it would seem that whilst the internal Linux OS knows about the hour change (as you would expect) there is no mechanism to push this time change to the front panel clock whilst the box is on/in low eco mode. As such everything continues to run fine in general but the front panel clock shows the wrong time until the box is fully rebooted.

For those running in high eco mode this bug would thus typically be unobservable since the box will go into high eco off mode at some point over night and when turned on the next day the front panel clock will get the right time. For those running in low eco mode this problem may also go unnoticed given the orange display is rather small and dim although I might have thought more people would have noticed it given there have been 3 opportunities to report this since the box was launched, lots of people do run in low eco mode (either to use the remote record app or just for faster startup) and the box is reasonably stable so once in low eco mode such people are likely to experience this problem for quite some time until they force a reboot (unless of course the box does actually try to update the front panel clock but that update just fails some time and hence the bug is a little more specific).
    stormy said:

Not noticed anything on mine, have not looked at the time but have not lost any recordings as a result. So I assume its all good?

My YouView box dropped to 1st January 2000 back when we had the bug that did that, but thanks to the workings of AR, it still recorded every scheduled program correctly. The only slight glitch was that it stored them with the timestamp taken from the year 2000 date/time it thought it was at, and series programmes were kept separately, not with others of the series apparently 13 years in the future.

And that was when the whole box had the date/time wrong, not just the orange display off by one.

AR has its advantages.
    Keith1 said:

I've added this to the in the consolidated list of bugs and faults as item 26.

This is not the first clock/time related bug and if one looks back at those topics then Piers previously explained that the box sets its internal clock at full startup using the DTT broadcast time or if that is not possible then via NTP. The front panel clock is in turn set from that and neither clock has any battery backup. Quite what the fix for bug 18 was and hence whether the box now does do more periodic time checks and how it then uses such a check is not entirely clear.

Based on the problem description here it would seem that whilst the internal Linux OS knows about the hour change (as you would expect) there is no mechanism to push this time change to the front panel clock whilst the box is on/in low eco mode. As such everything continues to run fine in general but the front panel clock shows the wrong time until the box is fully rebooted.

For those running in high eco mode this bug would thus typically be unobservable since the box will go into high eco off mode at some point over night and when turned on the next day the front panel clock will get the right time. For those running in low eco mode this problem may also go unnoticed given the orange display is rather small and dim although I might have thought more people would have noticed it given there have been 3 opportunities to report this since the box was launched, lots of people do run in low eco mode (either to use the remote record app or just for faster startup) and the box is reasonably stable so once in low eco mode such people are likely to experience this problem for quite some time until they force a reboot (unless of course the box does actually try to update the front panel clock but that update just fails some time and hence the bug is a little more specific).

Thanks Keith, excellent summary. The orange display is indeed small and dim (except when it's annoyingly scrolling detail about the recording you are watching, another issue you no doubt have logged somewhere) and I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't been down on hands and knees and about a foot from it when feeding yet another DVD into the player right beneath it.
  • oayoay Posts: 37Member
    What is this "front panel" clock of which you all speak? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think I've ever seen a clock/time on the front panel. Mind you, I can barely see any of the info on the front panel (a good thing!), but when looking closely, no I still can't.

Mine is a BT Humax DTRT1000 (which I've had since and March 2013), and I don't remember it ever displaying the time. Are you all talking about a different box from mine? I can't see anything like a time on the list described by the YouView support page.

This isn't causing me a problem other than if you're talking about features I'm not aware of, I'm wondering what else I may be missing! :)
    oay said:

What is this "front panel" clock of which you all speak? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think I've ever seen a clock/time on the front panel. Mind you, I can barely see any of the info on the front panel (a good thing!), but when looking closely, no I still can't.

Mine is a BT Humax DTRT1000 (which I've had since and March 2013), and I don't remember it ever displaying the time. Are you all talking about a different box from mine? I can't see anything like a time on the list described by the YouView support page.

This isn't causing me a problem other than if you're talking about features I'm not aware of, I'm wondering what else I may be missing! :)

That page is incomplete, but the time is only shown when the YouView box is in standby. And possibly only in Low Eco mode even then. Try this and report back, if you like.
    edited 26 March 2014, 1:08AM
    oay said:

I also use Low Eco mode and whenever my box is in standby the front panel display shows absolutely nothing. I always thought that was how it was meant to be!

While we're at it, the FULL icon on my display is always on (except when in standby), whether I am tuned to an SD or an HD or a radio channel - and whatever the "HDMI Display Setting" (Main Menu -> Settings -> TV Signal & Quality) is set to.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't really bother me as I never look at the front panel (except when inspecting things like this!), but am I looking at symptoms of an underlying problem?

That said, I've had extremely few problems with this box and I'm not worried at all - just curious more than anything.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    oay said:

"FULL" refers to the picture resolution I believe - "Full" just means Full HD (1080i/p)
    oay said:

Exactly, hence the confusion.
    oay

To see the clock in standby, set RF Loopthrough to 'Y' in Low Eco Mode.

Yes, I know it sounds crazy, and yes, I know RF Loopthrough is working regardless of this setting in Low Eco mode, but humour me - this is YouView software after all :-)
    oay said:

But I never watch the radio in anything less than 1080p...

Does it say 'FULL' even if you pull the HDMI out and use SCART?
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    stormy said:

Yeh, I would like to have that but I think for the pain of things which fail on boxes which do not regularly get reset.
    I've never used the HDMI connector as I'm one of the poor community who cannot afford an HD tv!

Wow! Thanks Roy! I have just set RF loopthrough on and can now see the clock on the front panel display. (And btw it was displaying the correct time.)

However, I'm now going to turn the loopthrough back off again.

Still, it was nice to see it!

This software, as you say, is a bit loopy.