No terrestrial TV after 2030?

Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
edited 6 August 2017, 11:18PM in Archived Posts
This has been missed apparently:

OfCom has just started a consultation on the future of the UHF spectrum after 2030. They anticipate "5G" telephony services will be allocated the remaining TV bands so terrestrial broadcasting would cease. TV delivery would be by satellite or broadband.

Report on consultation at http://www.a516digital.com/2013/11/of...

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Lose your broadband - no TV..... unless of course you had loads already recorded.

And look what sort of reaction a half-hour outage caused tonight.

I predict rioting in the streets.....

image image image image
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM

Lose your broadband - no TV..... unless of course you had loads already recorded.

And look what sort of reaction a half-hour outage caused tonight.

I predict rioting in the streets.....

image image image image

• JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:11AM
    Come on, this can't be news to anyone? It's even been reported on in the Lords.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 2 December 2013, 8:14AM
    I dont see a problem with it in general. as long as by then there is a free and widely available broadband access for everyone in the population. I rely hope this happens by then anyway as more and more, internet access is more of a necessity than a luxury and many homes now go without due to low incomes.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 9:08AM
    I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

We'll all be wading around in welly's after the icecaps have melted by then.
    Or, flip site, we'll be in the second ice age after being hit by an astoroid.
    As Fraiser from Dads Army would say "We're doooomed!...Doooomed I tell you"

Who knows what we'll be doing or watching after 2030.
    And we will be watching programmes like "I'm an ordinary person - for God's sake get me out of here", or films like "How Un-Green was my Valley", "2030 - A Climate Odyssey", or a remake of "Gone with the Wind - and Hurricanes", "Die Hard and Painfully", "No Country for Old Men - or anybody else", "Singing in the Rain, Blizzards, and Hurricanes", "Some like it Hot - Hotter and much Hotter".

Come on guys - there's more.......!

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    Wll i dont know about you but im hoping to be watching TV from mars by then.

Soon as there a bargain booze and some take away options and ofcorse TV and Internet there naff all else id want.

http://io9.com/5963349/spacex-founder...
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    What have I started???

Soz all

This could take some time .....................
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Madcotto said:

Soon as there a bargain booze and some take away options and ofcorse TV and Internet there naff all else id want.

"$500,000 a trip"........!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

And we will be watching programmes like "I'm an ordinary person - for God's sake get me out of here", or films like "How Un-Green was my Valley", "2030 - A Climate Odyssey", or a remake of "Gone with the Wind - and Hurricanes", "Die Hard and Painfully", "No Country for Old Men - or anybody else", "Singing in the Rain, Blizzards, and Hurricanes", "Some like it Hot - Hotter and much Hotter".

Tolerably Warm Mountain? Lukewarm in Alex? A Lion in the Fractionally Cooler Period? In 37 C Blood? Sea Station Zebra? Mild Runnings? Bsmall pool of meltwater Thieves? (extra credit for getting that one) The Big (White) Heat, The Towering Inferno (hard to up that one), The Big Tepidness, Water Age (1-5), SteamWorld, VapourMan, The Puddleman......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Just KNEW you would come up trumps, Roy..... image
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Madcotto said:

This is the guy whose cars catch fire?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 2 December 2013, 1:23PM

That perennial Christmas TV show: The Steam-man?

Apocalypse Yesterday?
    Simon12 said:

What have I started???

Soz all

This could take some time .....................

Yes - you have a lot to answer for, Simon....!
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:17PM
    I'm going to go into panic buying mode now. What no TV after 2030! I plan to watch as much of it as I can, starting from now.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-rad...