"REC" displayed when no recording in progress and failed recordings after recent update

StephenH1StephenH1 Posts: 7Member
edited 7 September 2017, 6:40PM in Archived Posts
Has anyone out there seen the "REC" status being displayed when the box is on but not recording since the latest update, or even possibly before the update. Since the update last week all I need to do is to turn the box on and the "REC" symbol appears straight away on the front panel, even when no recording is scheduled or shown as being in progress on the menus. When put the box into standby and after a few minutes when in goes to sleep the "REC" symbol is no longer displayed.

Also since the recent update last week I have had a number of failed recordings. Tonight when I was watching a program from disk I saw the alert at the stop the screen to say that "Britain and the sea" had started recording about a minute later I got the alert to show that a second recording "Homeland" had started. When I checked on the recordings screen the box only showed "Homeland" as recording, there was no sign of the other program on the menu (the red circle and the program name in the recordings menu). Checking the program channel guide it showed the expected recording taking place for both programs. When both programs had finished I checked the recording screen again and now there was an entry for "Britain and the sea" but it was shown as having failed.

I tested two programs recording at the same time for two arbitrary programs (on different MUXs) and both programs recorded ok.

I'm wondering if the two problems are somehow linked. Has anyone else seem anything similar?

My system is a retail T1010 box and is normally in high eco mode if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 149Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Doing the same with me.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Have you tried a soft reset? Touch the blue ring (Humax Retail/BT) or the standby button (Huawei/TT) for just over 8 seconds, let it restart itself.

See if that helps at all.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • StephenH1StephenH1 Posts: 7Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Unfortunately I tried a soft reset followed by a full power off for the box after I originally saw the problem but the "REC" symbol was still displaying after this. I'm hoping that the soft reset and the hard power cycle may fix the failed recordings as whilst I can live with the box lying about it recording something repeated failed recordings are something that will end up the the youview box in the bin. Its also worth noting that I have 75% signal strength and 100% signal quality on all channels so losing signal is unlikely to be a problem (I could also see the failed program without a problem on the youview box when it was pretending to record). I'm wondering whether I'm going to make a trip to the maintenance menu.

To Gordon, when you said "doing the same with me" was that the "REC" symbol being displayed all the time or the "REC" symbol being displayed and the failed recordings? I'm hoping that I hit a bad run but I can't help but connect the two things as I haven't had a failed recording for about 9 months and then I only had one so for several to occur when the "REC" symbol goes screwy seem too big a coincidence.

The box itself is only 3 months old and was a brand new warranty replacement for a 6 month old T1010 that was replaced after the HDMI connectivity died on it. I'm serious starting to thinking of buying dumb PVR that may not have all the functionality of a youview box such as the catch-up services (which I now have on my smart tv anyway) but that will work as a reliable PVR.

edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    I believe just the "REC" symbol. But I will keep an eye out, in case it also does the failed recordings.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    StephenH1 said:

Unfortunately I tried a soft reset followed by a full power off for the box after I originally saw the problem but the "REC" symbol was still displaying after this. I'm hoping that the soft reset and the hard power cycle may fix the failed recordings as whilst I can live with the box lying about it recording something repeated failed recordings are something that will end up the the youview box in the bin. Its also worth noting that I have 75% signal strength and 100% signal quality on all channels so losing signal is unlikely to be a problem (I could also see the failed program without a problem on the youview box when it was pretending to record). I'm wondering whether I'm going to make a trip to the maintenance menu.

To Gordon, when you said "doing the same with me" was that the "REC" symbol being displayed all the time or the "REC" symbol being displayed and the failed recordings? I'm hoping that I hit a bad run but I can't help but connect the two things as I haven't had a failed recording for about 9 months and then I only had one so for several to occur when the "REC" symbol goes screwy seem too big a coincidence.

The box itself is only 3 months old and was a brand new warranty replacement for a 6 month old T1010 that was replaced after the HDMI connectivity died on it. I'm serious starting to thinking of buying dumb PVR that may not have all the functionality of a youview box such as the catch-up services (which I now have on my smart tv anyway) but that will work as a reliable PVR.

Hi StephenH,

Sorry to hear your experiencing this. We would like to investigate this issue. You mentioned this has started after a recent update. Can you let us know what software you are running?

To check the software versions press the YouView button
    on your remote control, navigate to Settings > System Information
    > Software Versions.

Also could you provide us with the make, model & variant of your box. To check this, press the YouView button then go to Settings > System Information > Device Information.

Thanks,

Sanj.

edited 9 December 2013, 2:44PM
    Gordon, Glad you're not seeing the recording problem.

Sanj,

The software versions are as follows:

Manufacturer 16.4.0
    Component    2.2.8
    Platform         830
    ISP                 3

The box itself is a retail Humax T1010 (1TB), 3 months old.

I'm at work at the moment hence I don't have access to the system itself but I had written these things down in case I needed them. Let me know if you need anything else.

One thing that I have just noticed was that each time I had recording failures both recordings were being transmitted from the same MUX (different MUXs for different failures though). I didn't realise this possible link until this morning so I haven't had the chance to tested this yet, hopefully I'll have a chance to do that tonight. Even so it could just be pure coincidence but it should be easy to see if two concurrent planned recordings on the same MUX cause issues.

I spoke to Humax support earlier today (after being told to call them by Youview support) and they were not aware of either issue. They suggested using the maintenance menu and doing a "factory reset (keep recording)" and if this didn't work then to do a   "Internet/USB recovery, keep recordings". If neither of these worked to contact them again. Last time I did a factory reset (with a keep recordings) I could't play my old recordings even though I could see them, I'm hoping this was the result of my failing hardware last time and this time will be different as I don't really want to lose all my recordings.

Looks like a busy night ahead.

edited 9 December 2013, 9:00PM

ok, I have now performed a factory reset (keep recordings) and reloaded the software from the internet (keep recordings) from the maintenance menu neither fixed the wayward "rec" indicator; it re-appeared each time the box rebooted for the final time after being reconfigured. I'm hoping that only conincidence links the "rec" indicator to the failed recording but only time will tell whether I continue to get failed recordings, if I do the bin beckons for the youview box.

Sanj,
          As I'm now home I can now supply the box details, these are as shown below:

Manufacturer Humax
    Model DTRT1000
    Variant 80B07000

Stephen

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 782Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM

My Humax retail box updated to the 16.4.0 software on Tuesday and since then the REC symbol is displaying all the time. The only time this changes is when a recording event finishes and REC goes off. Changing channels causes the REC symbol to reappear.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Andy10Andy10 Posts: 24Member
    edited 12 December 2013, 11:10AM
    I have this issue as well

BT/Humax version 15.11.0 I believe, but can check.

REC symbol appears to randomly illuminate regardless of recording state. Actually recording something and deleting it will remove the symbol, but it inevitably comes on again with no recording activity occurring at that time.

Note: I'm on my third box from BT and this one installed just last weekend so its pretty new, unused, and officially set-up, allegedly.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi all,

We are aware of this issue with the recording symbol remaining lit on the front of the box. This is something we are investigating. This shouldn’t affect your ability to record programmes. We will keep you posted when we have an update, please bear with us.

Regards,

Sanj

• scottscott Posts: 1,999Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM
    I know there is an issue with the rec indicator at the minute but can any one tell me if it was working before and if so did it come on when the unit was recording even if it was in standby. Thanks
  • Peter S2Peter S2 Posts: 23Member
    edited 12 December 2013, 9:04PM

Hi there

I have this Rec indicator issue too. Although recordings seem OK.

Retail Humax DTR-T1000

Manufacturer Software: 16.4.0

Component Software:    2.2.8

Platform configuration:  830

ISP Configuration           58

However, as I say this, Rec light has just gone off after recording Eastenders!

Pete

edited 7 September 2017, 6:40PM
    Since reloading the software I haven't seen any further failed recordings so this was either fixed by the maintenance reload of the software and factory reset or it was simply a coincidence that it occured at the same time as the "rec" display problem started.

I'm glad to hear from Sanj that the box is simply displaying the "rec" symbol incorrectly and that it won't affect recordings. As others have mentioned the "rec" light goes out if all recordings finish and you are watching something from disk. It seems that when one of the YV tuners are used the "rec" light is is coming on even when its not recording.

If its not causing any problems with recordings, which seems to be the case, then I guess its an annoyance rather than anything more serious which was my initial concern.

Stephen
  • DavidKDavidK Posts: 24Member
    edited 16 July 2015, 6:46PM
    StephenH1 said:

Since reloading the software I haven't seen any further failed recordings so this was either fixed by the maintenance reload of the software and factory reset or it was simply a coincidence that it occured at the same time as the "rec" display problem started.

I'm glad to hear from Sanj that the box is simply displaying the "rec" symbol incorrectly and that it won't affect recordings. As others have mentioned the "rec" light goes out if all recordings finish and you are watching something from disk. It seems that when one of the YV tuners are used the "rec" light is is coming on even when its not recording.

If its not causing any problems with recordings, which seems to be the case, then I guess its an annoyance rather than anything more serious which was my initial concern.

Stephen

I am a colleague of Stephen's and only recently bought a T1010-1TB to replace a Humax 9300T (partly on his recommendation but I don't blame him). In fact, it is less than 2 weeks old and, of course, updated to this latest firmware on installation.

I hadn't noticed the REC light until Stephen mentioned it but, if only cosmetic, I didn't mind.

However, yesterday I had my first failed recording!

No reason was given, it just said FAILED. As it was "Strictly Come Dancing" on BBC1 HD, my wife was, is and continues to be furious! We were out when it was supposed to start (18:40-20:20) and obviously we were not watching any recorded programs or anything else via it. It was in Eco-High mode. There were no other recordings scheduled until 20:00. This and the later one at 22:05 both recorded without issues, although we haven't yet watched them.

We only bought the T1010 because our 2 (yes 2 - one in each of two different rooms) Humax 9300T continue to randomly lose their recording schedules completely (a known problem but never been fixed by Humax in all the years we have had them such that we are never sure if it will record anything and have to check nearly daily - to my great annoyance!) and, of course, we wanted to record programs in HD. We don't need network access and the catch-up features because our Samsung TV provides them and more. Given the fault with the 9300T, I wasn't keen on getting another Humax box but its specification was good and Stephen didn't say anything bad about it.

However, I do not expect failed recordings! I can't say that it is this new firmware that was the cause as we haven't had the box long. But to say that I am unimpressed is an understatement. If it can't record or, as in thye 9300T randomly completely deleting its schedule, it is not fit for purpose!

The T1010 didn't record Strictly last Saturday either. We thought it was because we had not set it up properly and, as we still had the 9300T connected, it wasn't such a concern. There wasn't any recording saying failed - just nothing at all. However, this time, we know it is set up for Series Record and it did say it tried but failed. After the results show tonight, which it did record last Sunday, I will delete the series record and enter it anew.
  • StokiekevStokiekev Posts: 1Member
    edited 10 March 2016, 10:02AM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Since the recent update, I have had a spate of failed recordings.  I only mention it because SCD on saturday was a notable occurrence.  Coincidence?

• JadeSJadeS Posts: 3Member
    edited 16 December 2013, 9:43PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Yes i have it to seems like its a software issue and not a problem with our boxes
    edited 16 December 2013, 9:43PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Yes i have it to seems like its a software issue and not a problem with our boxes
    edited 16 December 2013, 9:45PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

edited 17 December 2013, 12:03PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Now my box has started to failed recordings. Only does it when I want to record two things at once.

Really hope YouView fix this before xmas. Since I have lots of things I want to record.

Anyway just to remove the last update off the box?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Hi Gordon, are you attempting to record an internet channel at all or is this occurring on the recordings of broadcast channels? If it's an internet channel this may be related to the speed of your connection.

The 'Rec' symbol on the front of the box should not cause any issues with the recording itself, but this is an issue something we are looking into.

You cannot revert to a previous update, but let me know how you get on with the recordings and what happens if they continue to fail.

Thanks,

Phil

edited 17 December 2013, 1:36PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

It's a YouView retail box. It just said failed, did not give a reason. I was trying to record two things at once. On worked and one did not.

StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Not content with annoying my wife by failing to record the semi-final Strictly Come Dancing (SCD), it just failed to record another SCD programme! “Strictly Come Dancing – It Takes Two” is broadcast on BBC 2/BBC 2 HD every night from 18:30-19:00 Monday to Friday. I had it on series record on BBC 2 HD. Monday’s programme (16/12) recorded without a problem. Yesterday’s programme, Tuesday 17/12, FAILED. There was no error or reason code (hint to Humax: display a code that can be used by your technical teams to aid problem determination!).

The Settings also states that it had a software update yesterday but the software levels seem unchanged (Manufacturer: 16.4.0; Component: 2.2.8; Platform: 830; ISP: 80) from the prior levels! Another hint to Humax: add the time to the date of any update/check for software updates as I do not know if this happened when it should have been recording the SCD programme.

If it continues to fail to record, my wife is going to force me to return the product as “Not fit for purpose” and, hopefully, get a full refund. Getting a replacement this close to Xmas is going to be challenging. Humax doesn’t have a good name in our household at the moment given the problems with this new box and the serious issue with still have with both of the 9300Ts.
  • S RS R Posts: 168Member
    edited 18 December 2013, 11:51AM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

I can recommend the panasonic pvrs. My parents have one. It copes with an impatient pensioner and a technophobe and rarely fails to record programmes. If you have a richersounds nearby they are very helpful and decently priced.

From experience it seems HD programmes are much more likely to fail for some reason. My old pvr would often fail to record HD which infuriated me as that is why I bought it. If I left it recording SD it would rarely fail. At least the youview box can do on demand so you can just watch many missed recordings via iplayer.

StephenH1 said:

Stephen

I know I said I was unimpressed
    with Humax due to the failed recordings on the new T1010, likely to be a
    firmware error, and the still unfixed issue with the two 9300T PVR (also extremely
    likely to be a firmware fault rather than the actual box as it occurs on both
    of our boxes) but I was going to persevere.

However, I nearly took the T1010
    back for a full refund this morning.  On
    turning on the machine last night, it stayed in “Nearly ready” for over 10
    minutes.  It got not further after a
    number of power cycles.  The box just did
    not work!

I first tried Maintenance mode “Software
    Reset” but this did not resolve the problem. 
    I then tried Maintenance mode “Internet / USB Recovery, keep recordings”.  This connected to the internet, downloaded
    the software and installed it.  It then
    completed tuning and found 126 channels. 
    However, pressing OK for it to restart to complete the setup, it
    restarted and again got stuck at “Nearly ready”.

I finally tried Maintenance mode “Factory
    Reset, delete recordings”.  As we had not
    had the box very long, deleting the recordings was acceptable this time.  I may have tried to keep them but they could
    have been the problem.  This seems to
    have worked.  Tuning and restart worked
    and I did two test simultaneous recordings successfully.

Considering I have not had this
    T1010 for even a month (bought on 30 November, delivered on 3 December), it is
    certainly living on borrowed time.  One
    more issue and back it goes and I expect a full refund - not a replacement.  I won’t be doing anything with “delete
    recordings” once it a significant number stored on the hard disk, if it
    survives that long in our household. 
    This box was bought to replace one of the 9300Ts but, for the foreseeable
    future, we will have to keep both and hope that, if they go wrong, they do it
    at different times so that we still have all the recordings we wanted.

StephenH1 said:

Stephen

I know I said I was unimpressed with Humax due to the failed recordings on the new T1010, likely to be a firmware error, and the still unfixed issue with the two 9300T PVR (also extremely likely to be a firmware fault rather than the actual box as it occurs on both of our boxes) but I was going to persevere.

However, I nearly took the T1010 back for a full refund this morning. On turning on the machine last night, it stayed in “Nearly ready” for over 10 minutes. It got not further after a number of power cycles. The box just did not work!

I first tried Maintenance mode “Software Reset” but this did not resolve the problem. I then tried Maintenance mode “Internet / USB Recovery, keep recordings”. This connected to the internet, downloaded the software and installed it. It then completed tuning and found 126 channels. However, pressing OK for it to restart to complete the setup, it restarted and again got stuck at “Nearly ready”.

I finally tried Maintenance mode “Factory Reset, delete recordings”. As we had not had the box very long, deleting the recordings was acceptable this time. I may have tried to keep them but they could have been the problem. This seems to have worked. Tuning and restart worked and I did two test simultaneous recordings successfully.

Considering I have not had this T1010 for even a month (bought on 30 November, delivered on 3 December), it is certainly living on borrowed time. One more issue and back it goes and I expect a full refund - not a replacement. I won’t be doing anything with “delete recordings” once it a significant number stored on the hard disk, if it survives that long in our household. This box was bought to replace one of the 9300Ts but, for the foreseeable future, we will have to keep both and hope that, if they go wrong, they do it at different times so that we still have all the recordings we wanted.
    edited 29 December 2013, 12:23PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

I've had similar issues with the T1000 I have. Refuses to boot from standby a lot of the time. I've had it a week. First box was even more faulty and lasted a couple of days before I had an exchange due to it refusing to tune to any channels and losing the ones it had found. New one has been reset every day. Not impressed at all. Only way to avoid a reset is to power off at the back while it is in standby then boot from cold otherwise it just hangs a lot of them time.

I'd take it back to be honest and look at the T2000. It's not got the youview junky software on it and the humax portal might just end up doing everything youview does but without the problems.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Hi SR, sorry to hear of the problems you have been having. When you say the box refuses to boot from standby what happens when you attempt to turn the box on? Does the Orange light stay on and nothing happens at all?

Phil
    edited 30 December 2013, 11:45AM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

It depends on how frozen it is. Sometimes it won't respond to remote so orange light stays on. Or it won't respond to front panel button push so orange light stays on. Other times it does respond then starts up and hangs forever. Other times it starts up, gets a channel then freezes when you press any of the remote buttons. To all intents and purposes it is a door stop.

If I turn it off at the back while it is in standby then boot from that state it starts and works more often but at the moment it is about 1 in 3 or 4 boots that it starts, works and stays working. Normally it will find some excuse to freeze and not work or not even boot at all.

It only works fine after you have just reinstalled the software. Once it has been in standby, that's it. It won't work properly again so you have to keep resetting and reinstalling to make it work. It's just not acceptable.
  • Tim7Tim7 Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 January 2014, 12:23AM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

Hi,
    I have a DTRT1000 Variant 80B07000
    Manufacture Software 16.4.0
    Component Software   2.2.8
    Platform Configuration  830
    ISP Configuration          81
    Last Updated on 4th January 2014

For the last 2 weeks it is a lottery if the box works when I get back from work, having put it into standby the previous night.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes if I reset by holding the main centre power button on the box.
    Sometimes the display just says please wait and the power button reset does not work.
    Turn off rear switch , turn off power, wait , turn on power, turn on rear switch, wait , power button to switch on .... wait and see if it works, some time yes sometimes not , retry.
    If after some re-tries it does not work, I go into maintenance mode as documented elsewhere, I have tried "Internet reset Keep recordings" this downloads OK but the final update fails . There seems to be no documentation for the other maintenance mode options.
    Finally power off and re-start and maybe it will work. 
    Sometimes it works as a TV receiver but gives YVM 105 Error if I try to play from iPlayer or other provider and existing recordings do not play.
    Eventually I do get a fully functioning box not quite sure how and it may or may not work tomorrow.

What can I possibly do to get this fixed, prior to Christmas it had been behaving in a consistent manner with occasional requirement to power on and off. It has now become extremely tedious, hence the long report, ......
    edited 8 January 2014, 3:16PM
    StephenH1 said:

Stephen

There are many of us in the same boat. Humax told me those issues are hardware related and I'm now on my 3rd box but funnily enough the first 2 also having the December update were just the same.

I think it is a software issue in the main but clearly humax don't think so it's worth contacting them for an exchange box.