Failed recording.

Comments

• S RS R Member Posts: 168
    edited 16 January 2014, 3:11PM
    f1charlie said:

Tonight, BBC3 HD 8pm - Tough Young Teachers failed, but BBC2 HD Sport Relief Bake Off scheduled at the same time recorded OK.
    The box was in standby at the time of recording. Signal/quality is 73/100 on both channels.

I wondered that. My first pvr used to do the same with things scheduled at the same time but it was fixed quite soon in the life cycle. Youview box has been out over a year so these sorts of silly mistakes should have been removed already.

I've not had any failed recordings since last Thursday but there hasn't been that much on and I don't remember much starting at the same time. I moved the BOF recording to Sunday night (worked fine) so I also wonder whether there is an issue with 2 recordings happening on the same channel back to back. That was another mistake my first pvr used to make. It would use the other tuner for the later recording then the one starting on the other channel wouldn't record even though it could just stop and start the single tuner on the back to back channel.

There is no way of telling from the failed recording whether it didn't start or whether it didn't complete either. It makes working out what went wrong much tougher as it could be something dumb such as powering it up/down at the wrong time eg while recording or when a programme is due to start.
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Member Posts: 62
    edited 8 May 2017, 7:26PM
    This evening while watching iplayer we saw the banner saying that Big Bang theory was recording on E4. But the recording failed. This happens about once per day. Getting sick of this. YouView simply does not work
    edited 16 January 2014, 10:16PM
    While watching iplayer it said it was recording silent witness and Benidorm. Both HD. It was lying as it didn't record silent witness. Again! Yet another recording failure. I think the only reason youview has on demand is so that you can watch things it's too lazy to record in the first place. What is worse is that it isn't even in the list of recordings as failed. It's not even on the list at all so it's disappeared it into the ether. It should have followed on from another programme on another channel, starting late if necessary but clearly if there is even a tiny overlap it doesn't even bother to start the next programme.

Signal strength a more healthy 69%. Quality 100%

These school boy level bugs are becoming very tiresome. Its a pvr. It is designed to record and play back. That's 90% of its purpose.
    edited 16 January 2014, 10:16PM
    S R said:

While watching iplayer it said it was recording silent witness and Benidorm. Both HD. It was lying as it didn't record silent witness. Again! Yet another recording failure. I think the only reason youview has on demand is so that you can watch things it's too lazy to record in the first place. What is worse is that it isn't even in the list of recordings as failed. It's not even on the list at all so it's disappeared it into the ether. It should have followed on from another programme on another channel, starting late if necessary but clearly if there is even a tiny overlap it doesn't even bother to start the next programme.

Signal strength a more healthy 69%. Quality 100%

These school boy level bugs are becoming very tiresome. Its a pvr. It is designed to record and play back. That's 90% of its purpose.

Failed symbol appeared after programme end even though it clearly failed at the start as it wasn't available for chase play.
  • James8James8 Member Posts: 2
    edited 18 January 2014, 6:38PM
    Bought a retail T1000 from Humax Direct last week, to replace an older PVR and am getting a lot of flack about regular failed recordings. I have owned several DTT PVRs and have never had this many fails occur every day. I cannot establish a pattern, as the channels are both HD and SD and on different multiplexes and at different times of the day.

I know Youview boxes are complex, but whatever else they do, recording every programme scheduled is number one on the list of essential requirements.

• tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    The Keiser Report, Going Underground and Venture Capital - RT - 50% always Fail.
    Your Money - BBC NEWS - Fail or cuts off the ending.
    Dragonball Evolution - E4 - Fail
    The Sweetest Thing - ITV2 - Fail
    What Happens In Vegas - E4 - Fail
    Suits - Dave - Fail (Only one episode)
    Tomorrow Never Dies - ITV2 - Fail

The device seems to be recording the episode successfully, but then fails at the last second.
    On going recordings fail. So I have reported this via the YouView contact us option. But I have received no response. Not even an acknowledgement of my contact. So two questions as YouView do not seem to offering any answers on this forum:

- Has anyone else reported these fails and received any response from YouView? It would be interesting to know if I should return my box to the store as it does not do what it is supposed to do.

- If anyone has reported anything do you at least get an acknowledgement?

Thanks
    edited 19 January 2014, 1:21PM

On going recordings fail. So I have reported this via the YouView contact us option. But I have received no response. Not even an acknowledgement of my contact. So two questions as YouView do not seem to offering any answers on this forum:

- Has anyone else reported these fails and received any response from YouView? It would be interesting to know if I should return my box to the store as it does not do what it is supposed to do.

- If anyone has reported anything do you at least get an acknowledgement?

Thanks

If it is failing a lot then I'd return it to where you bought it from for a refund. The more boxes are returned the more effort youview will have to put in to fix them. I'd expect a pvr to record, play back and failed recordings to be a rare event not a regular one.

I bought mine direct from humax and they did respond and swap my box out twice. Third one is a lot better. It's still a bit buggy and that is down to youview's software I'd assume. YV really need to pull their fingers out and address the issues they have been informed of time and time and time again.
  • John WoodcockJohn Woodcock Member Posts: 9
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM

My 1 week old Humax retail has failed 5 recordings so far.

Already set to Low ECO so trying 12 hour power off setting.

Signal strength about 45 to 50%

I think it is going back to John Lewis at the end of the week!

It is less reliable than the one we are replacing (Toshiba).

• Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Member Posts: 50
    edited 31 December 2016, 7:06PM
    I have a Huawei DN372T from Talk Talk. It seems to get into a strange state every so often (once or twice a month) when recordings all fail until it is rebooted. Has anyone come across the same problem?

The symptoms are quite odd. I usually realise this has happened when I go into myview and it takes for ever (5 minutes plus) for the list of recordings to display. Other aspects of the menu system eg the Guide are still responsive but often pressing Info on a programme is also slow. If I then look at the recordings for that day they have all failed - between all of us in the family we have about 10 items on series record on a normal day. To fix the slow response on Myview I have to reboot the box.

Normally after a reboot, Myview is "working OK" as in it is not slow but there are no recordings shown (or sometimes only the failed recordings for the current day). However, the box still shows only a few % free disk space so it looks as if the recordings have not been deleted. If I reboot the system again, all the recordings are restored and the box is back to working as normal.

It is getting rather irritating although it is thankfully not occurring too frequently.

Ian
    edited 31 January 2014, 11:43AM

Signal strength sounds too low. Panasonic ones seem good. The newer ones have the remote record feature and access to on demand players too.
    edited 15 March 2017, 1:35PM
    Just when I thought this box was behaving...

Did it again Friday night. No previous recording set in a chain so its just failed. Martin Lewis money show this time. Useless heap. I was watching iplayer, volume rocketed up when it started to 'record' but it hasn't bothered. Must be related to on demand as I haven't used that for ages. Clearly you can't record and watch on demand content at same time as this seems to lead to this happening more often.

So looks like there are two bug scenarios: watching on demand makes recordings fail more often and having several set so they follow on or start when one has just finished. Both things a decent PVR should be able to cope with!

• SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 10:19AM
    Horizon - BBC2 HD 27th Jan 8:00pm

Again it rescheduled on another channel. Two recordings scheduled back to back on this occasion.
    edited 6 February 2014, 4:14PM
    Lots of failures this week. Dispatches c4+1, outnumbered bbc hd, midsummer murders ruined by it freezing. Mine doesn't seem to reschedule at all. If it fails I don't see anything set in the list to go and get it again.

Also realised that Death In Paradise records fine which is also at the BBC1 HD pm problematic time...
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    S R said:

Did it again Friday night. No previous recording set in a chain so its just failed. Martin Lewis money show this time. Useless heap. I was watching iplayer, volume rocketed up when it started to 'record' but it hasn't bothered. Must be related to on demand as I haven't used that for ages. Clearly you can't record and watch on demand content at same time as this seems to lead to this happening more often.

So looks like there are two bug scenarios: watching on demand makes recordings fail more often and having several set so they follow on or start when one has just finished. Both things a decent PVR should be able to cope with!

Hi S R,

You mentioned the volume increased while you were watching BBC iPlayer and a recording started. This is something that we are currently aware of and are working towards a fix.

In regards to your failed recordings, this is something that we are investigating and will be emailing you some questions shortly to further investigate this for you.

Kind Regards,

Sanj
  • Andy EldrichAndy Eldrich Member Posts: 12
    edited 25 November 2015, 10:08AM
    S R said:

Exactly the same happened here yesterday. Watching iPlayer last night (5th Feb) and the banner appeared to say it was recording Outnumbered at 9pm. Volume jumped up considerably, and on checking the Recordings list there was no entry to show a recording was in progress. At the end of the alleged recording it was shown as failed. The recording set for the previous night (4th Feb) for a recording of Death In Paradise at 9pm, also failed in the same manner.

This is on a Retail Humax DTR-T1000 which has not had any failed recordings for a long time now, so two in a row is disappointing to say the least.
  • JezzaJezza Member Posts: 28
    edited 24 September 2014, 7:13PM
    Rob3 said:

Retail Humax 1000

Atlantis

BBC1 - HD

Saturday 14th.

Signal Strength/Quality - 71/100 (normal for my location)

This was one day after I applied the latest software update (is it related?) :-(

But at least it rescheduled the recording for BBC3 later in the week :-)

I have had the BT supplied YouView Box from day one and have only had the odd failed recording which I suspect was due to a program clash. Also I've not experienced any of the issues that people have with their retail boxes.

The BT Box does not routinely get the YouView retail software updates and that I suspect is where the problem lies.

The fact that so many retail customers are getting all this grief with their boxes is totally unacceptable and it's time YouView got it's act together and sorted things out.

One has to question why BT have not rolled out some of these retail updates?

edited 6 February 2014, 4:13PM
    S R said:

Did the same for me. Outnumbered failed in the exact same way.
    edited 7 February 2014, 10:34AM

Some of the programs we tried to record were on DRAMA overnight. We have just found out that they shut down overnight! Not sure why the EPG lists programs when the station is off air!
    edited 7 February 2014, 10:41AM

It does seem it tries to reschedule failed recordings when it can.
  • f1charlief1charlie Member Posts: 15
    edited 31 December 2016, 7:06PM
    Has anyone else had an email from YouView asking for more details of failed recordings?  I got one from Phil last Friday and replied pretty much straight away.  I got an acknowledgement today thanking me for my detailed information and that it had been forwarded to the technical team.
    However, it was addressed 'Dear John' ....
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017, 10:19AM
    Yes I got the same email and response. I'd be worried if I wasn't married :-)
    I reported my failed recording issues. Got no response. I wrote to their CEO, and then got the response that this was a signal strength issue. This is clearly BS and I told them so. They promised me that they would ask me some questions after this, but they didn't. So I sent them detailed descriptions of a failed recording (including the fact that it happened while watching on demand), they didn't bother to acknowledge this but told me to go into maintenance mode and update the box. I did this and asked if they had therefore updated the software. They gave me another none answer to this question. Now I havent had any failed recordings since this update, but then I also have had no need to watch on demand. If I get a chance this weekend I might try to recreate the circumstances of a failed recording. However, there is little incentive to do so when I would be reporting this to the most useless patroning support organisation I have ever had the miss fortune to deal with. I think that the product should carry a warning:

"This product only partially works,attempts to report issues will be treated with a lack of interest. Solutions to the problems you report may be made up on the support by the support team."

I replaced my useless Panasonic PVR with this, and if it did its job properly it would be brilliant. It is so frustrating that such a potential is ruined by support incompetence.
  • Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Member Posts: 50
    edited 22 November 2016, 8:43PM
    f1charlie said:

Has anyone else had an email from YouView asking for more details of failed recordings?  I got one from Phil last Friday and replied pretty much straight away.  I got an acknowledgement today thanking me for my detailed information and that it had been forwarded to the technical team.

Yes, I received a Dear John letter too.
    edited 7 February 2014, 10:08PM
    f1charlie said:

I got the letter too, but my name is John!

It may be case of a cut and paste reply.

• HydeTheDarkerSideHydeTheDarkerSide Member Posts: 247
    edited 7 February 2014, 10:11PM
    f1charlie said:

On the other hand, it's an issue for us all and one the data commissioner be interested in!
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    My box is updated to the latest software levels.  Watched "The Bridge" on demand (because it failed to record while I was away) and it came up with a message saying recording "Who wants to work forever".  After watching the episode of "The Bridge" checked recording of "Who wants to work forever" and it had failed, but rescheduled for ITV+1, which was recording.  This recording worked.  Started watching another episode of "The Bridge" during which "Inspector Gently" failed to record.  There were never more than 2 recordings scheduled simultaneously, so it MUST have been watching on demand whilst recording programmes which caused the problem.

This box is so unacceptably buggy that it is laughable.  Even our 9 year old Humax box is more reliable than this!  At least it does what it is supposed to do reliably, albeit it doesn't offer on demand.  Unless I have missed something I thought the YouView should record programmes simultaneously with watching on demand.....? Apparently not - or at least not reliably.
    edited 8 February 2014, 9:55AM
    f1charlie said:

I haven't had a response yet...

Hi John,

Thank you for providing us with the additional information we requested. The issue with the Drama channel you have mentioned is something that we are now currently investigating.

If there is any update we will let you know.

Regards,

Sanj.

Hi John,

Thank you for providing us with the additional information we requested. The issue with the Drama channel you have mentioned is something that we are now currently investigating.

If there is any update we will let you know.

Regards,

Sanj.