Failed recording.

Comments

• S RS R Member Posts: 168
    edited 12 February 2014, 12:36AM
    S R said:

Just when I thought this box was behaving...

Did it again Friday night. No previous recording set in a chain so its just failed. Martin Lewis money show this time. Useless heap. I was watching iplayer, volume rocketed up when it started to 'record' but it hasn't bothered. Must be related to on demand as I haven't used that for ages. Clearly you can't record and watch on demand content at same time as this seems to lead to this happening more often.

So looks like there are two bug scenarios: watching on demand makes recordings fail more often and having several set so they follow on or start when one has just finished. Both things a decent PVR should be able to cope with!

Well I definitely think using on demand is the cause of most of my failed recordings. One week I have the same things set, I use on demand. Several recordings fail. Next week, same stuff set. No on demand used during or near a recording time and no failed recordings. None. It's not a start of series fail, or an over lap fail or anything else. Using on demand watching an HD programme means you can't record in HD as it never appears in the recording list for chase play and says 'failed' at some point after it has finished not recording it. I've alternated weeks with on demand and not on demand and had not used it for 2 weeks in a run and soon as I used on demand the Friday recordings failed (itv Martin Lewis)

If it does find alternative instances of a programme it doesn't seem to put them into the schedule which is poor as I want to see it is making some effort!
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi guys, just to update we are still testing and looking into reports from viewers who have reported instances where recordings have failed.

When we have more feedback we will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Phil
  • James8James8 Member Posts: 2
    edited 12 February 2014, 10:00PM
    Just to throw a spanner into the works, my mother's Youview box has had many failed recordings (no discernible pattern) since I bought it for her at Christmas (direct from Humax) and it has never been used for any On Demand services, as she was on a metered internet service of only 10gig a month. This will change soon, but the fails obviously have other causes than just watching internet derived content, though I am not looking forward to her having even more failures when we use the catch up services in future.

edited 13 February 2014, 10:31AM

My box is updated to the latest software levels.  Watched "The Bridge" on demand (because it failed to record while I was away) and it came up with a message saying recording "Who wants to work forever".  After watching the episode of "The Bridge" checked recording of "Who wants to work forever" and it had failed, but rescheduled for ITV+1, which was recording.  This recording worked.  Started watching another episode of "The Bridge" during which "Inspector Gently" failed to record.  There were never more than 2 recordings scheduled simultaneously, so it MUST have been watching on demand whilst recording programmes which caused the problem.

This box is so unacceptably buggy that it is laughable.  Even our 9 year old Humax box is more reliable than this!  At least it does what it is supposed to do reliably, albeit it doesn't offer on demand.  Unless I have missed something I thought the YouView should record programmes simultaneously with watching on demand.....? Apparently not - or at least not reliably.

BBC are basically dumping youview now. They have their own Freeview connect system in the offing. I suspect they're sick of their name being muddied by this poor product. You can see why when the support that is offered is pathetic as this and the product doesn't work as advertised.

I think some complaints to the ASA are needed. Might make them wake up a bit.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    Is there any way for more diagnostic information to be displayed when a recording fails or is part recorded? I tried seeing if I could get any info but all I can find the those two statements.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM

My 1 week old Humax retail has failed 5 recordings so far.

Already set to Low ECO so trying 12 hour power off setting.

Signal strength about 45 to 50%

I think it is going back to John Lewis at the end of the week!

It is less reliable than the one we are replacing (Toshiba).

Hi John,

This looks to be resolved now. From today onwards data in the EPG for the Drama channel between 2am - 5am will show as 'No Information Available' as the channel goes off air.

If you have any further issues with this, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Sanj.
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Member Posts: 62
    edited 8 May 2017, 7:26PM
    After much testing and very slow feedback from the help desk. Have been told that my failed recording issue is now passed to someone in the technical team. That must have taken about a month.

I have concluded that in my case the recordings fail when using on demand, and a recording starts during the on-demand viewing. It doesnt happen every time, strangely it only seems to happen in the evening, and on BBC One HD and E4, but this may just be a reflection of my viewing habbits. I do now have a lot of recordings of things I dont want to watch that I need to delete as a result of my testing.

I would like to say that I will post updates, but frankly this forum software makes it so bloody difficult that I am not sure I will.. But thats the subject of another thread.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Just found that the YouView box failed to record episode 4 of Salamander on BBC4 at 22:00 on Saturday evening. It was set for series record, and recorded episode 3 at 21:00 OK.

There was nothing else going on at the time, no other recordings, and there wasn't even anybody in the house to use the YouView box, a TV, or the Internet.

The week before, the YouView box had recorded episodes 1 and 2, similarly back to back 21:00-22:00 and 22:00-23:00, without problems, from the same series record request.

Humax retail box, 17.3.0
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    BBC4 HD or SD? I found the former unreliable but bbc4 SD seems ok. Mine was set to record both and it did both in SD.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    S R said:

BBC4 HD or SD? I found the former unreliable but bbc4 SD seems ok. Mine was set to record both and it did both in SD.

Yes, I never said, did I? :-(

But it's SD, as we don't get BBC4 HD on Ridge Hill until April.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    I set a series record for the Olympics on BBC two HD. It's been recording 4 or 5 episodes a day. I haven't been recording much else and had no problems, I've just been watching them then deleting them. Today is my first failed recording - the first episode today. It was not recording anything else and I haven't used iPlayer for months. Later episodes were fine. I can only guess the signal wasn't great at that time but I've had no other signal issues.
    edited 19 February 2014, 10:29PM
    Yet more failed recordings. Can't blame on demand this time. It's just rubbish software.

Repeat of Carl faberge prog on bbc4 sd early this morning. Inside no 9 at 10pm on bbc2 hd also failed with the usual not appearing as recording in the recordings list but flashing up the started recording message. Faberge prog also showed correct program duration so it's not a failure of the freeview recording indicators. It's just youview being useless.
  • Nigel AshleyNigel Ashley Member Posts: 76
    edited 31 March 2015, 11:16AM
    My Humax has suddenly taken a dislike to channe l5. It has missed several recordings recently even after the last update. On one occasion it even showed it in the recorded menu as a failed recording! Sometimes it will then go for 5+1 or even 5+24 which is ok as long as nothing else is set for that time. Also cannot record BBC4 HD at all. And before anyone from Youview tries to blame a poor signal, my signal is excellent on all channels.
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Member Posts: 62
    edited 8 May 2017, 7:26PM
    This problem is I believe much worse than I originally thought. I had found multiple failed recordings that started while watching on demand. They were easy to spot as they appear in the recordings listing as failed. Much harder to spot are those that do not appear in the recordings list at all. So last Sunday nights BBC2 HD "Top Gear", starts recording according to the banner, but does not appear in the recordings list, Only one episode of the BBC 3 series "Uncle" actually records. Very difficult to prove unless you are paying real attention because it could be a change in the broadcasters schedule.  So, this really makes watching a lottery. If you miss a recording and want to watch on catch up what else will you not get to see?
  • John WoodcockJohn Woodcock Member Posts: 9
    edited 27 February 2014, 10:38AM

This problem is I believe much worse than I originally thought. I had found multiple failed recordings that started while watching on demand. They were easy to spot as they appear in the recordings listing as failed. Much harder to spot are those that do not appear in the recordings list at all. So last Sunday nights BBC2 HD "Top Gear", starts recording according to the banner, but does not appear in the recordings list, Only one episode of the BBC 3 series "Uncle" actually records. Very difficult to prove unless you are paying real attention because it could be a change in the broadcasters schedule.  So, this really makes watching a lottery. If you miss a recording and want to watch on catch up what else will you not get to see?

I have had similar problems with recordings being shown on the banner but not happening. On examining the recording list whilst the program should be recording there was no sign of it, but after it had finished it showed as failed.
    edited 27 February 2014, 11:56AM

The ones that don't appear in the recording list straight away often appear as failed anything up to 20 minutes after the recording was scheduled to finish.

I've given up with mine. I'm currently battling with humax to get a refund. They seem to think they only have to follow what is in their terms and conditions not what they are legally supposed to do.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi all,

Just to update, we have been collecting feedback from users who have reported this issue and have passed it onto our tech team. They have identified a problem and are working on a fix at the moment.

Thank you for the feedback, we realise this is a frustrating issue -please bear with us, and we will update on the thread when more information is available.

Phil
  • bryflybryfly Member Posts: 13
    edited 13 September 2015, 8:03PM

2nd Failed recording in two weeks, this one as follows

Type of YouView box - Retail
    Programme BBC 2
    Channel  HD ch102
    Date/Time 27/02/14 ...... 20:00hrs
    Signal Strength/Quality  60% / 100%

software 17.3.0

Recorded two HD programmes at the same time BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD, BBC 1 recorded fine, BBC 2 failed.

This is following Humax telling me to do a Maintanence Mode Factory Reset to try and cure the problem

• Christopher GreenChristopher Green Member Posts: 1
    edited 28 February 2014, 6:40AM
    BT badged box running on Virgin cable. Transmitter CP. 85%/100% SS/PQ.

Failed to record Bluestone 42 new series 10pm BBC 3 HD on 27th Feb.

Box in Hi-Eco mode.
    bryfly said:

Programme BBC 2
    Channel  HD ch102

software 17.3.0

Recorded two HD programmes at the same time BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD, BBC 1 recorded fine, BBC 2 failed.

This is following Humax telling me to do a Maintanence Mode Factory Reset to try and cure the problem

Another recording failed tonight, strange thing is I was recording Troy on E4 at 20:00hrs, the machine came on and was working and showing that it was recording on the display, 20:40 machine is still showing rec in display, go to recordings and it is showing Troy failed, so god knows what it is doing but it is not recording anything I wanted.

PS. the machine switched off recording at 21:03, so recorded nothing for an hour....

bryfly said:

Programme BBC 2
    Channel  HD ch102

software 17.3.0

Yet another failed recording and a 2nd Maintenance mode factory reset, more failed recordings, have given up and sent it back to Humax for a refund, shame as without missed recordings quite liked it, will keep an eye out here and see if it gets cured, then risk another.
  • Chris BiltonChris Bilton Member Posts: 1
    edited 3 March 2014, 7:48PM
    Type of YouView box - TalkTalk
    Programme MASH
    Channel and whether SD or HD - True Entertainment CH 61 SD
    Date/Time - Failed recordings since 27th Feb
    Signal Strength/Quality Strength 41 Quality 100
    Box in ecomode low

Mulitple recordings failed, was some issues a week ago where recordings appeared to fail, but then strangely appeared normal.

Noticed that the normal light sequence that happens during recording is absent.

Software update 1.7.22 last update 7/2/14
    edited 6 March 2014, 2:27PM
    To contrast with the youview I used the new HDR2000T (also humax) in the same manner I use the youview.

Series record, back to back, 2 at once recording, chase play 1.
    Series record, back to back,  using on demand.

5 programmes set to record on Tuesday. All 5 recorded fine. Chase play didn't cause a crash which it can with the youview. No failed recordings even with lower reported signal strength (same quality)

Wednesday. Ditto. All programmes recorded fine. Used on demand (iplayer) recording occurred without bother. No funny issue with sound or any other problem.

Contrast youview. Failed to record outnumbered on multiple occasions. Wouldn't record inside no9. Volume issues with using on demand and failed recordings. If I'd done this with the youview it would have either failed to record at least one, probably 2 of the programmes and may have locked up while doing the chase play.

This is with the September 2013 software so it is basically the vanilla first release for a box that has been out a few months. It is instantly way ahead of the youview in reliability. That shouldn't be the case.

Lack of remote record on the 2000T is a complete bummer though.

Clearly the testing humax use for their own boxes is far more thorough than is going on with youview.

• JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:12AM
    Clearly the testing humax use for their own boxes is far more thorough than is going on with youview.
    Perhaps not always. It's Humax who've on a number of occasions sent out supposedly refurbished YouView boxes which have proceeded to fail far too quickly.
    edited 6 March 2014, 10:22PM
    JamesB said:

Perhaps not always. It's Humax who've on a number of occasions sent out supposedly refurbished YouView boxes which have proceeded to fail far too quickly.Software testing wise I mean. I think the youview graded and exchange boxes are also a source of issues. Slightly iffy software combined with borderline hardware isn't a recipe for reliability at all.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Line of duty
    BBC2 9pm Wednesday 19th March
    Humax Retail
    Signal strength 89%
    Signal quality 100%

Failed because we watched On Demand

This bug is consistently repeatable. Watch On Demand and any recording at the same time will fail.

Been in existence for ages, with no fix. Terrible support.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    Hi churchwarden - has your box updated to the latest software update version 18.3.0 which is supposed to contain a fix for the failed recordings whilst watching on demand bug.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Keith1 said:

Hi churchwarden - has your box updated to the latest software update version 18.3.0 which is supposed to contain a fix for the failed recordings whilst watching on demand bug.

Do you have a reference for this specific fix? I can't find one :-(
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Hi Keith. Thanks for the info - only visit rarely these days so missed the information about that - good news though..... (sad I'm really happy about having an existing problem fixed, rather than a more exciting new feature, isn't it?)

Anyway, to answer your question - no - I'm still on 17.3.0. So I'll just have to wait. Since so many people bricked their boxes doing manual updates, I won't go there, and wait for the automatic update to happen, so happy to be patient and tread water until it arrives.

I only normally watch On Demand when a recording fails, but, of course you CAN get into a nice watch-fail-watch-fail loop that way, unless you are careful!
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Not sure 18.3 fixes the issue entirely. Failed recording Monday - Bang Goes the Theory BBC1 -HD. Machine wasn't even in use. Latest retail software. But maybe it was a one off.