Connected red button on the way?

edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
The BBC has launched a beta version of its new Connected Red Button service on selected Sony Freeview smart TVs, with further devices to follow shortly...  
More devices and platforms will be added in 2014.
(From  http://www.a516digital.com/2013/12/bbc...)

Is this coming to YouView?

Comments

• gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 147Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Really hope it does and soon. It would make YouView a much better TV service.

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi guys,

The BBC Connected Red Button will be added to YouView next year in 2014. More information will be made available regarding the service early next year.

Phil
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

The BBC Connected Red Button will be added to YouView next year in 2014. More information will be made available regarding the service early next year.

Phil

And that's official!
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Posts: 741Member
    edited 20 December 2013, 6:16PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys,

Phil

Phil,

I presume from the section of the article quoted below that the BBC are doing all the work of providing the appropriate IPTV variations for the different platforms rather than YouView's software being modified to include MHEG-IC?
    The Connected Red Button is built using HTML and JavaScript and supports standards-based browsers and streaming technologies. It uses a modular, scalable, shared (with Connected Red Button on Virgin TiVo) architecture that enables us to easily add features, modify sections or bring new TV platforms on board.
    Since the MHEG engine in the Humax is flaky at times, any news on whether MHEG-IC compatibility developments are a) not planned; b) were planned but abandoned or c) ongoing?

• alal Posts: 1,282Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Well that's officially more likely to happen than on my 2013 Panasonic tv.
  • alal Posts: 1,282Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    btw if Youview can get this ready for the Winter Olympics I would be very happy.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Well I guess we won't be getting this for the World Cup. When will we be getting it? :)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,803Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    stormy said:

Well I guess we won't be getting this for the World Cup. When will we be getting it? :)

maybe in time for the next one.....
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    stormy said:

Optimist....
  • edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    It's so nice to have connected red button on my Samsung TV.
    Didn't really need it for the football (not a fan) but with Wimbledon and Glastonbury it's really quite an asset.
    Shame about all those poor YouView users who were expecting *

*deleted by forum moderation software
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    gwatuk said:

Didn't really need it for the football (not a fan) but with Wimbledon and Glastonbury it's really quite an asset.

Don't think my Samsung UE40F5300 smart TV can get the connected red button.  Can't find anything in the menu anyway...
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM
    gwatuk said:

If you open the red button as usual from BBC1(SD) you should see the iPlayer available. If not you have not got it!
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    gwatuk said:

Yes, got that, but I could get that through the apps on the tv anyway, so it's just a short-cut. 
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM
    gwatuk said:

You get the new iPlayer and other online content which varies from time to time.
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,011Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    gwatuk said:

Speaking of new iPlayer. When was the last player update on Youview? Interestingly my 120Mbps fibre connection improves every device in my house except the Youview box which acts the same as it did on a 20Mbps connection. I assume most of the 'loading' times are down to the slow DTR-1010 and not the net connection. :) Performance enhancements anyone? Guess they got torn off the roadmap in favour of new hardware instead. :)
  • gsvalentinegsvalentine Posts: 147Member
    edited 20 March 2017, 5:24PM
    Now less than 2 days till the Glasgow 2014 games and still not sign of the
    BBC Connected red button.  So much for getting for the summer of great sport.
  • c cc c Posts: 413Member
    edited 21 July 2014, 9:22PM

Now less than 2 days till the Glasgow 2014 games and still not sign of the
    BBC Connected red button.  So much for getting for the summer of great sport.

Postponed to late summer / autumn.

See https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/how_about_suzie_buckridge_youview_director_of_product_d...

• Michael Alan RobertsMichael Alan Roberts Posts: 9Member
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Couldn't see this any where but it seems the connected red button has arrived on YouView. At least on my BT T2100. It is only a beta but seems to be working well! Seems with this and Netflix we have had some good steps forward recently!
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,648Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

Couldn't see this any where but it seems the connected red button has arrived on YouView. At least on my BT T2100. It is only a beta but seems to be working well! Seems with this and Netflix we have had some good steps forward recently!

It was announced a couple of weeks ago, but as it was a phased roll-out it may have only just reached your box. Good steps forward though, as you say. :-)

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/automatic-software-update-for-october-2014-which-includ...
  • Michael Alan RobertsMichael Alan Roberts Posts: 9Member
    edited 4 November 2014, 10:07PM

Missed Thant one! Thanks for the link! As I say let's hope it's the start of many more features to come! Mike