Selecting subtitles switches off surround sound

alal Posts: 1,270Member ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM in Archived Posts
This has happened to me four times in the past 5 days: When selecting subtitles (either on or off), sometimes the sound dips and I lose DD output. I normally have HDMI set to Stereo and S/PDIF to Surround. Sound dips on both and then looking in the menu, both are now Stereo. This has happened on BBC1HD live, C4HD recording, RB303HD recording and (I think) BBC2HD chase play.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Comments

• alal Posts: 1,270Member ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Well I'm surprised this hasn't happened to anyone else. It's happened a few more times to me so now I've reset by using the switch on the back as none of my front panel works.
    This is doing my head in. I want to watch all my recorded Christmas films in surround sound, my gf needs the subtitles. Almost every time I switch the subs either on or off I lose DD output (both spdif and hdmi) and have to switch it back on in the main menu.

December update and after a reset.

I guess I'm alone in wanting surround sound and occasional subtitles - hopefully someone from yv will take pity on me and look into this.
  • Youviewer3Youviewer3 Posts: 18Member
    edited 31 December 2013, 1:44PM
    I was wondering why my box has been switching from Surround to Stereo every so often and this is it, it has been happening when I have accidently pressed the Subtitles button on the remote, hope YouView fix this!
    Thanks for letting me know, Youviewer, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    As an aside; do your front panel buttons work and also do your skip buttons work?       |< and >| 
    Thanks
  • Youviewer3Youviewer3 Posts: 18Member
    edited 10 January 2014, 10:24AM

Not experiencing those other issues, al, but the box is still reverting from Surround to Stereo constantly, found it had done it again this morning, and it's disappointing that YouView haven't acknowledged this.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,018Administrator admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Youviewer, we are aware of an issue currently where IP channel recording playback defaults to Stereo from Surround sound- however are you experiencing this in many different circumstances? Additionally is it just when you activate subtitle or can it happen at random?

Phil
    Still happening. Every time I sit down to watch a film with the g/f I switch the subtitles on, the audio drops then comes back very loud. I get moaned at and have to try and explain that DD is much quieter than PCM from the youview box as I switch the box back to Surround. It's always the subtitles button and I don't watch any IP channels.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Posts: 741Member
    edited 12 February 2014, 12:54PM

I'm getting this intermittently and it seems to affect most the transition from BBC iPlayer to normal broadcast, not a recording from an IP channel which I do not have (apart of course from the normal players available on retail boxes).
  • Leigh SmithLeigh Smith Posts: 14Member
    edited 15 February 2014, 6:25AM
    I am also getting this problem, currently watching the Olympics on BBC2HD and when I switch the subtitles off the SPDIF output reverts from DD to Stereo. Very annoying. Come on Youview - this is a shame from an otherwise excellent box. Don't punish partners with one needing subtitles and the other wants to enjoy DD 5.1 - thanks.
  • Kam SamjiKam Samji Posts: 4Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi. I have this 'defaulting to Stereo' issue and I couldn't pin oint why or how or when it was happening. It could well be the subtitle issue. I will check and experiment. Incidentally, for me it is the HDMI setting for me, not SPDIF. It is frustrating  so a fix would be beneficial. ps - I have a retail Humax box (1010) watching regular channels.
    When you switch subtitles on or off (usually after a switch-on) both the SPDIF and HDMI Surround options are reset back to stereo. How come we haven't had any official response on this fault?
    I've have noticed the same thing happens on the new BT/Humax box. It didn't used to do it on the original Humax box until about 5 months ago so I'm sure it's been introduced to the software somehow.
    Has this been fixed? It doesn't seem to have happened to me since the latest update.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    al said:

Has this been fixed? It doesn't seem to have happened to me since the latest update.

Hi al, I can't recall this being one of the fixes in the last update but I will double check this with our test team. Are you doing anything differently with your setup?
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    al said:

Hi Sanj, No nothing has changed in the setup.
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    Kam Samji said:

Hi. I have this 'defaulting to Stereo' issue and I couldn't pin oint why or how or when it was happening. It could well be the subtitle issue. I will check and experiment. Incidentally, for me it is the HDMI setting for me, not SPDIF. It is frustrating  so a fix would be beneficial. ps - I have a retail Humax box (1010) watching regular channels.

Hi Kam - Al mentioned this issue no longer occurs for him. Have you experienced this issue recently?

When you switch subtitles on or off (usually after a switch-on) both the SPDIF and HDMI Surround options are reset back to stereo. How come we haven't had any official response on this fault?

Hi Leigh - It seems our test team were never able to reproduce this issue. Are you still experiencing it?
  • Kam SamjiKam Samji Posts: 4Member
    edited 5 January 2015, 12:21PM
    Kam Samji said:

Hi. To be fair, I have not noticed it, so looks like it did get fixed - don't know how or when. Thanks
    edited 5 January 2015, 12:37PM

No Sanj, it disappeared some time ago after a software upgrade I think.

Thanks Leigh & Kam, I'll mark this thread as solved for now and If you come across this issue again please let us know.