New Forum Feedback

SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 8 May 2017, 8:26PM in Announcements
Hi all,

Since the launch of the new look forum, we have received lots of very good feedback. Thank you to those who have taken the time to feed back to us. We have been working together with Get Satisfaction to try and create the best user experience possible.

We cannot offer specific dates to when these issues will be addressed. We just wanted to provide you with an update and let you know we are chasing these up.

Here is a list of issues that we are able to update you all on:
  1. Continuously having to press the ‘View more’ button to get to the bottom of a thread. We have spoken to Get Satisfaction about this and have been informed that they are working on implementing numbered pagination in the future.
  2. Difficult to see sentiments. Feedback has been left with Get Satisfaction to improve sentiment visibility.
  3. Sentiments for comments. This is something that the Get Satisfaction product team are aware of and we have submitted a request to bring this back.
  4. The categories tab not appearing automatically on the mobile site. This is due to the limited space a phone screen offers. The categories tab on the top of the community home page has been condensed into a menu button indicated by 3 lines in the top left hand corner. When using an iPad, if you rotate the screen to landscape the categories tab will also appear across the top of the page.
  5. Unique URLs to specific posts no longer work. This is something known as permalinks and are currently on the roadmap to be included in the future.
  6. Raw HTML editing. This has been very recently introduced and users should now be able to use Raw HTML editing in their comments.
  7. Having to keep logging into your account. The new application is session based, which means you will need to re-login when you close your browser. Get Satisfaction are looking at changing this to a time based cookie in the future, which would allow you to stay logged in for a longer period of time as apposed to logging in each session. 
  8. No change logs. This is something that will also be brought back in a future update.
  9. Improvements to the search feature. We have submitted some requests to Get Satisfaction for how we would like to use the search better.
  10. No Date/time stamp when you hover over the age of a thread. This is a feature that will also be brought back in a future update.
  11. Using text formatting (Bold, italics, etc). The Text editor is only available on the web version not on the tablet or mobile version.
  12. The ability to edit your posts. To preserve the context of a conversation, members will not be able to edit a comment once a reply or comment has been posted after it. This is the same as the previous version of the forum. Issues editing posts that are clear of any subsequent reply or comment should not be an issue any more.
We will update this thread with any future developments.

Comments

• HydeTheDarkerSideHydeTheDarkerSide Posts: 247Member
    edited 13 January 2014, 2:37PM

Nothing about dumping GetSatisfaction then?  Think that would get me the most satisfaction that could be had round here.  Use proper forum software PLEASE!
  • edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Item 12. I'm pretty sure that posts still become locked after a certain period of time, even if there has been no subsequent reply or comment.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Sanj, wouldn't it be easier just to bring back the old version, in which every one of the 'future improvements' you cite already exists?

(And I simply can't believe I'm saying this).

Then we could move to any fixed new version, if we must, as soon as this had been vetted by a subset of members here acting as beta testers.

We will need that as YouView have proved themselves utterly unqualified to determine how the forum software should run; any one of us, I think, given this new version to try out would have told you what a dreadful mistake you would be making by releasing it.

Which, bereft of our guidance, YouView did :-(

Better still of course, would be to listen to what a lot of us have been saying for a long time, and drop GS altogether in favour of some proper forum software.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,428Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    As per my post on the original topic to gather feedback on the updated forum system I've now come over to this new/official topic to post some follow up comments :)

From the points raised on the other topic I think the only things fixed/improved so far are showing in the topic lists who last posted on the topic and allowing some raw HTML which are appreciated even if they are only small features.

Points 1 (short comings of the 'view more' feature and bringing back pagination), 5 (bringing back unique URLs for each post), 7 (not being logged out at the end of each browser session), 8 (bringing back the changelog), 10 (bringing back ability to see individual specific date + time stamps for each post) will all be very welcome so I hope they come along soon.

I can understand the response on item 12 although it is in some cases inconvenient :(

A bug that the list does not pick up is the formatting of lists. When one creates a list it is nice and compact but if one (quickly) spots a mistake in the post and edits it then the edited post hard codes <br /> between each list item and hence the list becomes inflated/airy and the WYSIWYG editor whilst appearing to let you deflate the gaps again does not actually work and so far the only work around seems to be to delete the list and typing/pasting it back in again item by item.

There is also then the bug when one clicks to edit a posting (seems to happen more on topics that are past the first 'view more' page) and the WYSIWYG editor does not appear and instead one gets a very narrow box with nothing or raw HTML in it and cannot hence proceed to edit the post after all.

Another bug/small issue not picked up seems to be the counting of posts. If one clicks on someone's name then you see a popup containing some basic info which includes the number of conversations/topics they have started, the number of replies they have made and the number of likes they have received. I previously noted the number of replies does not seem to match up between that and a users main profile even after taking into account posts that may have made on other GS forums. I've not reviewed that in detail but expect it may be more a difference between the overall profile counting replies and comments as a single (replies/posts) total whilst the short summary does not include comments in the replies total. For completeness I would suggest GS either need to change it to show the total number of posts (i.e. replies + comments) or it should show separate totals for replies and comments so a fuller picture is given.

Another counting anomaly seems to appear in the number of likes received value. Whilst the difference could be purely relating to the basic popup info referring to the specific forum and the main profile be referring to all GS forums I'm not convinced that is the case if one looks at a sample of forum members who may have mentioned in the past they are not using other GS forums yet their totals do not match up.

Other lost or requested features not picked up in this topic include:
    1. bring back a search box appearing on every page not just the main page (how about having it track down with the page in the always present banner too for extra easy access and it could have an option to search within just the page as well as search all topics)
    2. bring back being able to +1/me too a topic from topic listings as well as within the topic
    3. bring back leaving a footprint when a post is deleted (may happen naturally when the changelog feature returns?)
    4. bring back showing a list of official staff followers/posters on a topic
    5. provide a go to end of topic feature (within a topic and direct from topic lists)
    6. provide a go to most recent post feature (within a topic and direct from topic lists)
    7. provide an expand entire topic as a single page feature which would be particularly helpful for using the browser page search to find something within a topic
    8. auto-closing/freezing of old dormant topics (e.g. if a topic has no posts for 3 months it could auto close/freeze and instead suggest a person starts a new topic unless they are really sure their post is best resurrecting the dormant topic in which case it could offer a mechanism to make the post as a way to request the topic is unfrozen if the mods agree or start a new topic with the post if they think the topic should  stay closed/frozen)
    (note the above list will have gap lines due to this post having been edited to correct a typo :( )
  • petkolpetkol Posts: 213Member
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM

After not posting or looking at the forum for a while, I really cannot believe what I have been reading about this 'new look'.

Is there some ownership or legal entity tie in between Youview and Getsatisfaction? Otherwise why would Youview continue with this awful software?

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    Petkol - YouView would be in a contract with Git Satisfaction for a set length of time, that would probably be very hard to get out of. I too called for the dump button to be pressed. Sadly not so.

Poor.

Hi Visionman, good to see you are still around on the forum. Totally agree about dumping. But then when did Youview take much notice of the forum - during or post trial?  

I know this is off topic, but could I ask you to take a quick look at the question I asked about connecting a trial box to Bt Infinity. Basic question is, what changes / additions / problems (if any) should I expect to see. I seem to recall us having some correspondence on the theory of this last year. Perhaps you might have seen some examples of this now. By the way we have not signed up to any TV package with as part of the Infinity installation

edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Visionman said:

Petkol - YouView would be in a contract with Git Satisfaction for a set length of time, that would probably be very hard to get out of. I too called for the dump button to be pressed. Sadly not so.

Poor.

Unless YouView can go back to the earlier version of the GS software (in which case they should, until this debacle of a new release is fixed or scrapped), I would think that a child of six could successfully argue frustration of contract, if not indeed actual breach of it, in foisting this dysfunctional 'upgrade' on YouView instead of whatever it was they thought they were initially signing up for.

Issuing software releases with a negligible upside, but with an only-too-visible downside, and which you can't avoid installing - who would do a thing like that?

Oh.......
    gwatuk said:

Item 12. I'm pretty sure that posts still become locked after a certain period of time, even if there has been no subsequent reply or comment.

Yes. In
    https://community.youview.com/youview...
    my posting, currently the last one there, can no longer be edited.

But perhaps that is because Visionman has Liked it, and GS think it would be invidious to let me change it in any way from the version that drew this approbation?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Visionman said:

Poor.

Hi Roy, we appreciate the feedback here and understand there are
    current limitations with the forum we are looking to address. The
    migration to the new forum is an on -going process so we are looking to
    improve all areas of usability. Some of the frustrations with the new layout are the area we want to eliminate.

The benefit of the new software is that it is more versatile and can be improved upon to a far greater degree than the old software, therefore regressing would mean it would be even more difficult to introduce changes.

Ideally we would like all this functionality from the start but we are looking at what is essential to enhance the experience. GetSat are aware of the features desired and are working to address them as we feed back.

Phil
    edited 14 January 2014, 11:31AM
    Visionman said:

Poor.

But why are you even persisting with this software in the first place?
    edited 17 December 2015, 2:32PM
    Visionman said:

Poor.

Phil, your comment is very professionally written, but sadly predictably corporate in nature.

Please read your own comment and ask yourself if anybody would really take anything positive from what you have written.

What are the improvements that this new 'versatile' software can deliver which would merit introducing it before it even matches the previous version?

It's a shame but Youview's attitude to introducing this new forum software which provides an even lower level of satisfaction than the previous version does seem strangely similar to Youview's attitude to leaving out many common pvr features from the Youview software - I see many  issues which were first pointed out / reported / questioned between June and September 2012 are still there.   

Visionman said:

Poor.

Hi Phil

As per my earlier reply above to Sanj, I'm not suggesting YouView never move to the new GS software*, just that it's clearly not ready for prime-time, and it would be a lot kinder on all users of this forum if you reverted back to the old software for the time being at least.

Then, when and if YouView consider this new software can match the functionality of the old software, you let a few of us regulars check this out to see if we agree, and if so, by all means roll it out as a more versatile basis for going forward.

This would be a lot better than the current 'jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today' Looking-Glass world we seem to have fallen down the rabbit-hole into.

*well actually I am, but I expect you are hell-bent on continuing with GS, even though the sensible advice when you are in a (rabbit-)hole is to stop digging :-(
  • edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Point 1
    I don't see why we can't just have one long page.
    What does pagination achieve?
    A simple "Go to most recent post" link at the top of a thread is all that's necesary isn't it?
    (Or am I missing something?)

• churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Yes, Gwatuk, you are.
    1. You are thinking logically.
    2. Your suggestion has too few key presses.
    3. Merely by making the suggestion on this forum you almost guarantee it will never happen.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM

Yes, Gwatuk, you are.
    1. You are thinking logically.
    2. Your suggestion has too few key presses.
    3. Merely by making the suggestion on this forum you almost guarantee it will never happen.

• S RS R Posts: 168Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    I've used a lot of forums but this getsatisfaction one is about the worst. It's awful. It's hard to use. Frequently I go to the support forum and it is suddenly showing posts from a year ago. Then they disappear and most recent ones appear again.

There is no way to go to first unread.

I have no idea what the old forum used. I can't be as bad as this one!

The constant 'view more' is dreadful. Just load the entire thread with highlights on bits that have been written since you last visited or go to the first unread post in the thread.

It's difficult to keep track of conversations as it is more logical to quote posts chronologically and have them arranged that way in the thread so that new ones always appear at the end not further up so you have to check the entire thread to find the one post that was done hours ago.

Dump this rubbish and get something decent!
    edited 15 January 2014, 12:07PM
    Or even mediocre! Gotta be better than this rubbish and it's predecessor!
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    gwatuk said:

Point 1
    A simple "Go to most recent post" link at the top of a thread is all that's necesary isn't it?

Pagination limits the amount of data that needs to be downloaded at one go.

As long as the answer you seek occurs on the first page, written no doubt seven or eight generations of the software ago, and you agree that the subsequent ten or so pages are likely to contain nothing new or more apposite on the matter, and so do not need reading, you save at least a few bytes this way.

A 'Go to most recent post' link would require that post to have its own URL which GS and YouView in their wisdom have decided to do away with.

This new forum software is a 'cruel and unusual punishment' imposed on those Incautious enough to have taken issue with the previous version, to show us we simply didn't realise how well off we were.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    gwatuk said:

Point 1

Very few threads contain a significant number of images so the amount of data for even the longest thread is trivial,.
    And even if GS and YouView fail to restore direct URLs for each post (heaven forbid) it must be possible to have a "Go to the bottom of the page" option, which most of the time would be good enough.
  • Peter JacksonPeter Jackson Posts: 62Member
    edited 8 May 2017, 8:26PM
    I hate the fact that you can type a response and then when submitting you are told to log on. You do but have to retype your response. I wonder how many people give up and not bother.

Using chrome and safari on ios7
  • plaxyplaxy Posts: 217Member
    edited 16 January 2014, 10:48PM
    For me, whatever I've typed gets posted once the login is completed. Not the smoothest transition, but it does return and submit the response as typed.

Using safari on iOS 6.1.3
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Me too. I type then get asked to log in (arrrgggggh!) and my post is then placed on the forum.

Using Google Chrome on Windows 8.1.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I hate the fact that you can type a response and then when submitting you are told to log on. You do but have to retype your response. I wonder how many people give up and not bother.

Using chrome and safari on ios7

I have seen the log on request as you describe it, but my response had always stayed intact for me to simply repeat the Confirm, or even just to auto post the simple replies/comments - I've never had to retype it. Not in Safari on iOS7 on an iPad, nor on Firefox on a PC.
  • S RS R Posts: 168Member
    edited 18 January 2014, 11:10AM
    S R said:

I've used a lot of forums but this getsatisfaction one is about the worst. It's awful. It's hard to use. Frequently I go to the support forum and it is suddenly showing posts from a year ago. Then they disappear and most recent ones appear again.

There is no way to go to first unread.

I have no idea what the old forum used. I can't be as bad as this one!

The constant 'view more' is dreadful. Just load the entire thread with highlights on bits that have been written since you last visited or go to the first unread post in the thread.

It's difficult to keep track of conversations as it is more logical to quote posts chronologically and have them arranged that way in the thread so that new ones always appear at the end not further up so you have to check the entire thread to find the one post that was done hours ago.

Dump this rubbish and get something decent!

Currently the support link is showing conversations from 7 months ago at the top! Honestly. If you have forum software with latest threads from 7 months ago it looks awful.

The recent conversations section is showing recent ones, oddly enough.

Why can't the categories be by date order? This whole voting system is pointless and just makes visitors think nothing is ever updated for months at a time.

Dump this junk!
  • tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    The only positive thing to say about this new forum design is that it looks pretty.
    Perhaps the aim is to dissuade people from using these forums. Perhaps another aim is to make it (even) more diificult to follow the chronology of previous threads - that is if you can find them. Perhaps, perhaps not.

According to recent figures I have seen elsewhere on the web, the current number of forum members is a very small when compared with the number of the Youview boxes that have been delivered to customers. Perhaps equally significant is that the number of Youview boxes bought in 'retail' establishments is tiny when compared to the numbers delivered by BT and TalkTalk as part of their broadband/phone/TV deals.  

I remember some of the threads from over a year ago when the purpose / future of Youview was being discussed, and it seems that it has effectively become the delivery system for BT and TalkTalk to compete with Sky.

I should have added that being the delivery system for BT and TalkTalk explains why it has been developed as a more  'closed' box/system/platform than the Freeview+ boxes developed independently by manufacturers.  Is there DLNA on a Sky+ box? Is there the possibility for attaching usb storage to a Sky+ box?  So. for anyone that seeks these facilities, it would be best to look elsewhere.

• plaxyplaxy Posts: 217Member
    edited 19 January 2014, 12:47PM
    It's not just for BT and TalkTalk. Any ISP who wants to develop a multicast service can use YouView to get there. BT/TT may have the field to themselves at the moment, but at least the possibility now exists for others to join the fray. And TalkTalk, especially, seem to be putting a lot of effort into innovative development.

It's surely better that pay-tv subscribers now have more providers to choose from. And Sky is having to up its game as well. YouView has played and is playing a part in the changes that are going on.

Hello plaxy, another name I recognise and good to see you are still around on here. I agree with both your points. Competition for Sky was sadly lacking - it's good to see this growing. Thanks for pointing out that others could also use Youview as their platform. 

My point was not made very well, but I suppose I was trying to say that recognising it as a pay-tv delivery system explains some of the limitations that were the subject of many posts in the past.