New Forum Feedback

Comments

• plaxyplaxy Posts: 217Member
    edited 19 January 2014, 12:06PM
    Yep, agreed. YouView could have avoided a lot of the grumbles if there had been a little more candour about the commercial interests involved.

I'm not actually "still on" - rather "recently returned" - undecided whether to go for another YouView box or buy a Panasonic. I think it's going to be the Panny.
  • petkolpetkol Posts: 213Member
    edited 14 April 2017, 5:24PM
    Like you I have not been a constant contributor. I have dipped in now and again - and i was surprised to see this new forum format on my most recent visit. I didn't think it could get any worse than the previous version.

Good luck with your new box. I've been though similar decisions in recent months. The TV/PVR landscape had changed quite a lot over the past couple of years. Much that was previous offered or promised on pvrs is now promised on 'smart' TVs. Apparently Samsung now offer all the major catch up services on many of their TVs - though not with a unified guide.

The Panasonics seem to offer most of what I would look for and I have owned many Panasonic recorders over the years. I think the flexible independent offereings (e.g. Humax,Digistream, Tvionics, etc) seem to be on the decline or disappearing.

edited 19 January 2014, 3:26PM
    Indeed. TVonics seems to be history, Digistream practically so. Casualties of all the IPTV upheaval, I suppose.

I agree the forum software is pretty dire, but then it was always terrible, and always seemed to be intended to prevent users from finding previously posted info - as when they dumped nearly everything that was posted during the trial and just started all over again. Odd way to handle what's supposed to be a support resource.
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 6:56PM
    S R said:

I've used a lot of forums but this getsatisfaction one is about the worst. It's awful. It's hard to use. Frequently I go to the support forum and it is suddenly showing posts from a year ago. Then they disappear and most recent ones appear again.

There is no way to go to first unread.

I have no idea what the old forum used. I can't be as bad as this one!

The constant 'view more' is dreadful. Just load the entire thread with highlights on bits that have been written since you last visited or go to the first unread post in the thread.

It's difficult to keep track of conversations as it is more logical to quote posts chronologically and have them arranged that way in the thread so that new ones always appear at the end not further up so you have to check the entire thread to find the one post that was done hours ago.

Dump this rubbish and get something decent!

Hi S R,

This was a result of our categorization process we mentioned in our forum changes over the next week thread

This has now been completed and you should now see the most recently updated threads at the top of the page in each category.

Sanj.

• gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 23 January 2014, 4:08PM
    Just popped back here after getting my new BT Youview box today.  I will not be staying due to this dreadful forum software.
  • HydeTheDarkerSideHydeTheDarkerSide Posts: 247Member
    edited 13 February 2014, 10:34AM

Indeed!  Never before have I seen a such an empathic portrayal of the features and performance of the PVR demonstrated so well by the forum software that supports it. 
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Posts: 795Member
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    Hi Gomez. I've joined you - just logged on because I got your post emailed. I did get on a week ago to reply - the mobile site on my phone showed me as logged in - I typed my post, submitted, and was asked to log in. When I had, my post had disappeared. At that point I gave up.
    And totally agree with you, HydeTheDarkerSide. The fiasco with the forum sums up the whole project. A classic example of how to totally alienate users who were initially very positive, mirroring what has happened with the product itself. Worthy of a dissertation for some aspiring graduate as to how NOT to run a project.
    /
    Good afternoon Gomez Churchwarden, and HydeThe DarkerSide,

It's good to see some familiar names on here, and I think we would all have liked Youview to become the free to air pvr of choice, rather than, or perhaps as well as, the BT/TalkTalk TV delivery system. As it seems this is very unlikely to happen, have any of you come across anything that offers the same or better pvr facilities than those that were offered 3 or 4 years ago by the Topfield and Humax devices?

edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    When finances allow I'm tempted to go HTPC route.  Something with one or two BlackGold http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3602

cards and maybe run with http://www.nextpvr.com/

And that will allow me to be rid of the YouView box, my PS3 that I only use as player for my music/photo/video collection on my Windows Home Server (that will also go) and maybe just keep the Topfield PVR as a back up and of course, for me at least, playing Bomb Hexa.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Hi Hyde, Gomez, Churchwarden and Petkol.

The forum software is poor but we have been promised all the issues will be addressed and improved over time. But at the moment its a nightmare. In regard to YouView, I still have every intention of getting a box despite what some see as its technical shortcomings. Hopefully through BT if they win their Sky court case. If not I'll get one via retail. 
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM

When finances allow I'm tempted to go HTPC route.  Something with one or two BlackGold http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3602

And that will allow me to be rid of the YouView box, my PS3 that I only use as player for my music/photo/video collection on my Windows Home Server (that will also go) and maybe just keep the Topfield PVR as a back up and of course, for me at least, playing Bomb Hexa.

I spent a lot of time investigating all the HTPC software packages and didn't find anything that impressed me.
    It depends on what you see as important, and this varies from time to time.
    Right now I'm a fan of Sky Arts so I value the internet channels.
    I've not had any problems with failed or clipped recordings for a long time (*reaches for nearest wooden object*) so for me YouView as a PVR is OK.
    I'm hugely irritated by not being able to have a sensible epg channel order for HD channels.
    But weirdly the real "killer" feature for me is to pause/rewind live TV (plus the skip functionality). I use this all the time and it's something that YouView does very well.
    edited 23 January 2014, 8:17PM

Well Next PVR does both of those and a whole lot more, like being able to record all the streams from a single mux using just one tuner at the same time.  Far less opportunity for clashing timers, something that YouView have STILL to get to grips with!  In fact I'd be very surprised to find any recording device these days that couldn't at the very least pause and skip (only just had the skip feature on TT as it happens), so YouView can hardly claim this as a USP.

I'm not a lover of US based channels and so by and large the IP channels are not only a waste of time for me they actually cause me issues on YouView as the implementation was so badly enacted.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Hi all,

We would like to keep you updated with any changes to the forum. There has been a recent update to the forum software that have introduced a few new changes:

Login Cookies Extended to 30 days: Get Satisfaction have extended the duration that login cookies last, up to 30 days. Previously, the user would be prompted to login again when they closed and re-opened their browser.

There are also some visual changes to the homepage to remove unnecessary whitespace and to make dynamic content more prominent.

We will keep you posted with any further developments.

Sanj.
    Write a reply

I wonder how many people mentioned the following as problems? Good listening by the get satisfaction people?

'There are also some visual changes to the homepage to remove unnecessary whitespace and to make dynamic content more prominent'

• Bill MarsdenBill Marsden Posts: 9Member
    edited 26 February 2014, 2:19PM
    petkol said:

Write a reply

I wonder how many people mentioned the following as problems? Good listening by the get satisfaction people?

'There are also some visual changes to the homepage to remove unnecessary whitespace and to make dynamic content more prominent'

No amount of tinkering will alter the fact that this forum software is not up to the job.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    petkol said:

Write a reply

A band-aid on a broken arm :-(
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    I can confirm I'm no longer being constantly logged out. Thanks for fixing that.

• edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    I see the new forum software as a major factor in the much-reduced number of contributions to this forum.
    https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/is_this_forum_dying
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    This update, though, has brought with it a new indignity to visit on hapless posters, or at least would-be editors of postings, and at least those editing on iPads. Like me.

Now, when you edit, your posting comes up like a gynaecologist's letter box, and you have to delete one of the spurious spaces that now precede your posting before it will expand to the proper size.

But now the title of the topic, on a page-wide swathe of white, comes and sits on top of your posting, obscuring a large chunk of it and preventing you working on it. You can move it a little, perhaps, but it's very hard to work round, and if there's a way to make it go away, I haven't found it.

The only thing I find more incredible than the sheer ineptness of GetSatisfaction at providing or updating forum software is YouView's insistence on persisting with it, and most particularly with this latest incarnation of it, the biggest step backwards in software since Microsoft tried to replace Windows 95 with Windows ME.
    I've also noticed that the new, and seemingly rather random, feature that means some threads are presented by default only with the 'Official' posting(s) shown has caused a fair number of newbies to think that is all there is, and append their postings as Comments on the Official posting.

This was the utterly predictable consequence of this bad idea.

However, the serendipity of it is that if they did expand the thread and post at the end, it would fall foul of my TFACBA rule, and I'd never see it.

So please don't fix this until you have fixed the hateful 'View more' nonsense.

But meanwhile, those newbies are being deprived of a good long read, and often of the answer they seek, if one of us amateurs has given it and the Rep hasn't.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 6 February 2014, 3:54PM
    I can also confirm I am no longer being logged out all the time.

But I have just realised another anomaly, if you write a new topic and then preview it, but press back to edit it, it dissappears and you have to write it out again!
    The edit function now doesn't work correctly. Total nightmare actually.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 8 February 2014, 12:19PM
    Just to say that as long as I postbthe original message and then edit it, that seems to work, just don't try and edit whilst previewing the original!
    edited 8 February 2014, 12:23PM
    You have to be quick though - you may be unable to edit if another poster happens to post a reply/comment while yours is in process.
    The latest filth I have discovered is that you can't edit a posting with a revised upload. A picture I posted came out sideways - probably an iPad issue not a forum one - but on trying to change it for a properly rotated one, I kept getting an error message, and this benighted forum software would not behave.

Well, I call it forum software, but often I think it's more againstum :-(
    Hi all,

We have some news to share with you that we think you will like. Get satisfaction are due to release a new update tommorow that will change the 'View More' feature to a more traditional enumerated pagination approach that allows users to quickly jump around in a list. Like so:

This will be available in the homepage, category pages, and search results. This will be available for comments and threads in a future update.

There are also a number of other improvements that will be made in this update.

The changes include the following:
    • Layout Changes so that More Dynamic Content Appears Above the Fold
    • Enhanced Mobile Layout
    • More Polished Visual Design

Sanj
    Sanj said:

Hi all,

We have some news to share with you that we think you will like. Get satisfaction are due to release a new update tommorow that will change the 'View More' feature to a more traditional enumerated pagination approach that allows users to quickly jump around in a list. Like so:

This will be available in the homepage, category pages, and search results. This will be available for comments and threads in a future update.

There are also a number of other improvements that will be made in this update.

The changes include the following:

• Layout Changes so that More Dynamic Content Appears Above the Fold
    • Enhanced Mobile Layout
    • More Polished Visual Design

Sanj
    Hi Sanj

Well, it's now tomorrow, and late in the evening, and it's taken me three 'View more' presses to get here still.

You now have only just under four hours left to make good on your promise, or I will never believe another word you say.

OK?

Unliked. Unfulfilled pre-announcement doubleplusungood.

• momistmomist Posts: 139Member
    edited 23 February 2017, 10:01PM
    Less than three hours left now for the promised update.  No sign of it, maybe the storm has blown it away?
    TBH, I didn't realise how bad this forum software was until I tried using it.  The preview function is useless, as when I go back to correct an error, my message has magically disappeared entirely.  Following that débâcle, I took to copying my text prior to previewing it, and then found when pasted back in it was full of spurious line feeds and blank lines.  Not impressed.  GetSatisfaction?  NOT!
    plaxy said:

Unliked. Unfulfilled pre-announcement doubleplusungood.

66 years on, and as relevant as ever.....