New Forum Feedback

Comments

• TomWTomW Posts: 491Member ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    petkol said:

Crikey, I'd almost forgotten about this forum - how many people are active on the forum these days? Is Youview still mainly sold / supplied by BT and TalkTalk? Does anybody actually buy a retail box?  

'Proper PVR' LoL. :-)

I agree with everything you've said there petkol. I am still using my YouView box as my primary PVR but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of development.

Given that my NowTV box will soon offer all the catch-up services, and I have the NetFlix and Lovefim apps on numerous other devices, I might start looking to see if there is a PVR based on open source technology that can do more of the things I want. I don't know if such a device exists but I would be surprised if there isn't.

By far the best PVR I've owned is the Topfield and while it isn't technically open source the UI and many of the features can and have been changed and built upon by dedicated bunch of enthusiasts. Unfortunately the Toppy is now very long in the tooth and doesn't support HD or connected apps. So it seems to me that the best PVR might be a more modern open source device.

Failing that I might stick with YouView so long as my box continues to work (sometimes I feel like I must be the only person left with a fully operational T1000) and then see what Freeview Connect and FreeTime have to offer in the coming months and years.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:55PM
    petkol said:

Crikey, I'd almost forgotten about this forum - how many people are active on the forum these days? Is Youview still mainly sold / supplied by BT and TalkTalk? Does anybody actually buy a retail box?  

...proper PVR...

• scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    petkol said:

I disagree, if I view it as a BT box I still can't understand the missing features...maybe even more so....

But if you use the same analogy to a similar product how much of the things not offered by YouView will be offered by say Freeview connect (that is where the comparison should be for a retail version of YouView)...
    You are comparing apples and oranges for me...YouView is a HD broadcast PVR (none of these are avilable on a NowTV box) with extras, NowTV is a substandard sky player with extras...

You say you now have about 4 different devices to do what a single YouView device should do...and that is its beauty. Obviously multiple single stand alone devices will always do a better job than a single all in one machine and I know YouView doesn't do what it should properly but that is purely down to its software programming. The actual platform is very sound and if they would only stop frustrating everyone and actually release its potential...

If you want I can point you to the NowTV forum to see how many people have issues with the service everytime a big event is on (and it will continue to be like that while SKY refuse to use a multicast delivery system or a decent CDN)...
  • c cc c Posts: 413Member
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM
    petkol said:

I might start looking to see if there is a PVR based on open source technology that can do more of the things I want. I don't know if such a device exists but I would be surprised if there isn't.
    It's a different scene from when Topfield launched. There's the Humax Fox-T2, which has Raydon's software. No longer in production, but often available refurbished from Humax Direct. SD only. I believe some parts of Raydon's software will work with Humax's Freeview HD box.

The most depressing statement in Halton's interview is where he says
    “If you look at YouView stats in retail, we ship pretty much 25-30% of all Freeview DTT PVRs in this country. That’s our marketshare, so it’s pretty significant. It’s just that for us it’s a tiny proportion of our total volume,” said Halton.
    That suggests sales of non-YouView PVRs ("proper" PVRs) are pretty slow. :-(
  • TomWTomW Posts: 491Member ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    petkol said:

I tried the Humax Fox-T-2 before I bought my YouView box and I was massively disappointed with it. I sent it straight back to Amazon. The EPG is appalling and it has possibly the worst use of screen real estate that I have seen in any PVR. Even with the custom firmware I could see no compelling reason to keep the Fox-T2, because unlike the Topfield the custom firmware cannot alter the UI and the only useful feature that isn't offered by YouView is the ability to export recordings, which although nice to have, in no way makes up for the hideous EPG. And with YouView, of course, you get the added bonus of all the catch-up players, 7 day backwards EPG, and the mobile app for remote scheduling.

Miraclebox is the sort of thing I was thinking of but unfortunately I don't think it's available in the UK - http://www.miraclebox.se/product/301/...

XBMC and Plex look interesting although I have no idea whether they offer PVR features or indeed if there are any PVR hardware receivers on which to run them.

The IceCrypt T2400HDPVR looks like an interesting piece of kit although not open source as far as I am aware. http://www.trustedreviews.com/icecryp...
    petkol said:

Some interesting reviews of the Icecrypt on Amazon.

Tastes differ, as they say. I don't have a Humax box myself, apart from the YouView, but I've seen one in action and quite liked the look of the EPG.

No way to tell, really, if a box is what you're looking for until you try it out. Praise be the DSRs. :-)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,813Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    petkol said:

@gwatuk

Are you actually 'sixth' and in pink? Everyone not on the leaderboard shows up in that slot when they are logged in....

@TomW

I too have a fully functioning T1000, bought retail. It is a replacement for the first one I bought, but it has no faults (or at least no unique ones that can be ascribed to this individual box).

@cc

If we are generous and assume that YouView have sold upwards of the 70,000 units we've seen mentioned, and not just the 30,000 more often quoted, that would imply there might be 300,000 retail PVRs out there.

Given what I thought was the ubiquity of VCRs, and even allowing for Sky and Virgin with BT and TT bringing up the rear, this seems to be a surprisingly small number.

But my Digital Stream is still going strong, and is still available new, albeit at knockdown prices...
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Well I've re-registered on the forum (what a nightmare that was btw), my avatars now squashed, I don't know how to do smileys and I now get shouted at for posting.

This is getting worse not better.  
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:55PM
    Visionman said:

Well I've re-registered on the forum (what a nightmare that was btw), my avatars now squashed, I don't know how to do smileys and I now get shouted at for posting.

Good to see you're back.

Who has been shouting at you?

My solution to the smileys problem is to create a private library and then copy and paste them. Perhaps in a few months time the Get Satisfaction people will realise that this change to the forum software was not an improvement.

And I quite like the squashed chrome logo - it gives it more personality.
    Visionman said:

The GS software has been importuning us to join in on other threads, as per the examples above outlined in red. Though the reality is at least not outlined in red, thank goodness.

I don't know why your avatar is squashed, Visionman, mine has stayed correct through the change. Maybe it only affects new avatars though, or mine would squash if I tried to edit it?

As regards editing, though, I note that I can now edit a Comment I make if it is the last Comment on a Reply, even if new Replies have appeared. This is a new change, I think.

Though oddly, I can't edit a Reply I've made, if further Replies have been made since, even though that Reply has no Comments and no Likes.

Unless this is a time-based thing. I must enquire of my new-found friends....
    https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisf...
    Re currently available PVRs, Amazon looks more like a bombsite than a website :-(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/pvr/products

But Which? has a good list of them:-
    http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-...

I'd divvy up my quid and have a look at Which's findings, but I did it once before, and I don't know if you get a second go.
    You want something, just ask nicely :-

https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisfaction/topics/engagement_prompt_going_wrong?utm_source=notifica...

though it is something YouView have rather got us out of the habit of expecting :-(
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,184Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM

Thanks for the link, Roy. Good to know. And I found the above in there.  
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,424Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Yes, GS do generally listen to feedback and fix small problems or make small adjustments quickly when they can. There were some bugs relating to the like counts that I commented on  and they have quickly fixed those as well as another one Roy pointed out.

Of course there are a number of things I and various others would still like but I've listed many of those before and GS will be aware of them since they are following this topic here :)
    For those that have yet to notice, GS added a new forum feature today (at about 8pm) such that you can jump directly to the latest post in a topic by using the linked text in the topic list which shows the name of the last poster and when they posted :)

Now if GS could also embed that link within each topic page itself at the top and bottom (along with adding the pagination links at the top too) that could be really handy ;-)
    Keith1 said:

For those that have yet to notice, GS added a new forum feature today (at about 8pm) such that you can jump directly to the latest post in a topic by using the linked text in the topic list which shows the name of the last poster and when they posted :)

Now if GS could also embed that link within each topic page itself at the top and bottom (along with adding the pagination links at the top too) that could be really handy ;-)

Oooh, so you can! Lovely :-)

Thanks Keith. And GS.
    Keith1 said:

And here is a link to the Release Notes, where you can read all about this and other new features:-

Keith1 said:

And giving credit where it's due :-)

Well done.
    Keith1 said:

I did ask for the pagination links top and bottom of each page as well - though not the 'jump to latest' also, as It didn't occur to me to have those there, as Keith suggests - so we might well hope to see those at least in a later release.

The beauty of the little enhancement GS have implemented here, though, is that there is no change to the page presentation required, just the logical extension of a feature they already had on each posting, to the same place and with the same function, on the Conversations list.

So we get easy to implement, and UI-consistent to use, from the programmer and designer point of view, and a very useful boost in functionality from the user point of view.

And so it got done very quickly - kudos to GS for taking this on board and turning it round so rapidly.

I wish we knew how to leverage, and achieve, YouView functionality boosts in this sort of way :-)
    Keith1 said:

It did cross my mind to wonder if this new-look, responsive, agile GS team could somehow takeover retail YouView development under yours and Keith's guidance.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 282Member ✭✭
    edited 16 November 2014, 12:35AM
    Keith1 said:

Whilst being a welcome improvement, the "jump to latest post" feature still doesn't remove the necessity to trawl through the entire conversation for new posts due the very nature that this forum software encourages multi-threaded conversations!

Or have I misunderstood? (Wouldn't be the first time...)
    Keith1 said:

skiller

No, you haven't misunderstood really. What you say is quite right in principle. But in practice, it usually suffices to jump to the last posting, scroll back up anything nearly as recent, and then start reading down.

When someone adds a comment halfway through the thread, or at the bottom of the first page because they think that's the end, then these are usually quite hard to find, even if you know they are there, and when one of these is the latest posting, it makes it much much easier to find.

And when one of these is the case, you can always go to the end of thread the old way to see if there is anything new there, so you are really no worse off at all than you were before.

As indeed, you aren't if there are multiple interpolated postings to find; but as above, this tends to be fairly rare in practice, and 'jump to last posting' makes you better off in all cases, and completely better off in maybe 95% of cases or more.

But if you want to catch absolutely everything, then you need to Follow every thread, and drive your access to new postings off of the email trail. This also gets you the ones where the poster later thought better of it, or YouView jumped all over it with the cleated boots :-)
    Keith1 said:

You had me at "hello".
    Keith1 said:

Unbelievable.

I thought that the problems of this forum software were just gripes from people who didn't necessaririly know how to use a computer, but no...

I, for one will never be back on here again.
    Keith1 said:

So sad, but those of us who must make the best of a bad job will try to bear up.
    The latest GS forum system update released yesterday has finally restored the ability to see the exact date a post was made (by hovering over the relative timestamp). It may only be a small improvement but it is good to finally see this small but at times very useful feature back in place :)

Perhaps we will even get a visible changelog back soon now too ;-)

EDIT: I suppose if I was being picky I would say it would be nice if the timestamp times were not UTC but stamped with GMT/BST depending on the time of year (although I can see that for some forums it may be less clear what any natural timezone is in which case UTC is more general and easier to work with, unless of course the popup timestamp could be relative to the viewers local timezone which is perhaps over complicating matters) :)
    Keith1 said:

The latest GS forum system update released yesterday has finally restored the ability to see the exact date a post was made (by hovering over the relative timestamp). It may only be a small improvement but it is good to finally see this small but at times very useful feature back in place :)

EDIT: I suppose if I was being picky I would say it would be nice if the timestamp times were not UTC but stamped with GMT/BST depending on the time of year (although I can see that for some forums it may be less clear what any natural timezone is in which case UTC is more general and easier to work with, unless of course the popup timestamp could be relative to the viewers local timezone which is perhaps over complicating matters) :)

Lots of forums I have been on let me specify my timezone, but GS doesn't. Maybe YouView sets a timezone for its Community?

The system update also broke my viewing of GS emails. GS have explained to me, gently enough, that this is because I am using an antiquated email reader :-

https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisfaction/topics/new_email_changes_small_problem?topic-reply-list[...

Say what you like about GS (and I think we all have!) they are nothing if not responsive, to queries as well as to user-suggested improvements :-)
    Keith1 said:

Another little 'Uh-oh' with the timestamp for us fondle slab users...
    There was a further GS forum system update yesterday.

The most obvious visible change is the configurable 'share your expertise' block on the right. By default it is broadly showing topics with the least responses which actually turns out at the moment to not be very useful since it simply highlights topics that went entirely unanswered a long time ago. They could perhaps offer more options so one can look for topics no older than a month etc so such corner cases as we see now would not show up (although the next lowest replies topics could equally not turn out to the be topics that would benefit from further engagement). There are various other options one can set to change the view although it is not so clear how much value there is in the alternative filter options. Of course when there are fresh unanswered topics then this block will pick those out cleanly which may be helpful to some. Given it is only a first stab at this feature perhaps it will evolve and improve over time or its value just become obvious as it settles in.

EDIT - in fact arguably it is not working correctly/usefully - we do have a topic with zero replies started today by zulu17 and another from a week ago by stormy arguably that should be what the filter returns as a good hit as a recent post without a response and hence worthy of  more attention than 7 month old topics.

In terms of driving more engagement some might prefer to simply see the 'most helpful members' list extended to show say 10 people instead of 5 (be that in a compact 2 column format or just a double length version of what we see now) :)

They have also changed to showing 20 topics per page rather than 15 which can be helpful at times :)

Alas still no visible changelog though ;-)
    Keith1 said:

There was a further GS forum system update yesterday.

The most obvious visible change is the configurable 'share your expertise' block on the right. By default it is broadly showing topics with the least responses which actually turns out at the moment to not be very useful since it simply highlights topics that went entirely unanswered a long time ago. They could perhaps offer more options so one can look for topics no older than a month etc so such corner cases as we see now would not show up (although the next lowest replies topics could equally not turn out to the be topics that would benefit from further engagement). There are various other options one can set to change the view although it is not so clear how much value there is in the alternative filter options. Of course when there are fresh unanswered topics then this block will pick those out cleanly which may be helpful to some. Given it is only a first stab at this feature perhaps it will evolve and improve over time or its value just become obvious as it settles in.

EDIT - in fact arguably it is not working correctly/usefully - we do have a topic with zero replies started today by zulu17 and another from a week ago by stormy arguably that should be what the filter returns as a good hit as a recent post without a response and hence worthy of  more attention than 7 month old topics.

In terms of driving more engagement some might prefer to simply see the 'most helpful members' list extended to show say 10 people instead of 5 (be that in a compact 2 column format or just a double length version of what we see now) :)

They have also changed to showing 20 topics per page rather than 15 which can be helpful at times :)

Alas still no visible changelog though ;-)

SYE has the germ of a good idea, but the sort order that I want - and the one it sounds as if you want, Keith - is Ascending Number of Replies, Lowest (i.e.zero) first, and within that Latest First.

You can choose one or the other, but each, on its own, is somewhat valueless.

I've given GS some feedback on this.

https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisfaction/topics/how-to-manage-the-share-your-expertise-widget?top...