Humax, Huawei, BT, TalkTalk - what works with what?

2»

Comments

• Craig1Craig1 Member Posts: 21
    edited 8 August 2016, 11:59AM

I have a BT Humax YouView box supplied by BT has part of my broadband & TV package. I was paying BT £5.00 pm for the TV service, but couldnt figure out what it was for so I planned cancel the BT TV package. BT told me it would stop the iPlayer & catchup, but this forum advised me it wouldn't so I cancelled about 6 months ago.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/do_i_need_a_subscription_to_talk_talk_or_bt_to_use_a_yo...

iPlayer & catchup continued to work, even though BT told me it wouldnt.

I recently changed my ISP from BT ADSL to TalkTalk Fibre (broadband only), here is what I saw:

1) After the broadband was moved to TalkTalk, the BT Humax would not update, when I went to check for updates, it failed. None of the Catchup TV would function, I could view Freeview OK. Network was OK, I could see it was connected on the Humax menu screen. The menu system had a BT logo.

2) I then powered the BT Humax box off (pressing power button on front for 10 secs). When it restarted it automatically installed an update, I think the update may have done another restart. The menu system had changed from a BT logo to TalkTalk logo. I could see all my existing recordings, but could not receive FreeView, I got a no signal error. I did a retune, I still could not get any Freeview Channels, but many Internet channels appeared. Rebooted again, and tried a retune. Still no Freeview, signal error, no Freeview channels.

3) I decided to do a factory reset from the menu, after accepting the warnings, Humax rebooted, and went through the guided setup, this time the tuning part picked up all the Freeview channels in my area. Now the BT Humax is working (ie FreeView & Catchup TV), the only change is the logo on the menu has changed to a TalkTalk logo, and this starts up the TalkTalk Ondemand application.

So I can confirm my BT supplied Humax YouView does work with TalkTalk fibre broadband.

Hope this helps someone, as I couldnt find the steps required to get this to work elsewhere (but I didnt look that hard :) )

• Don ChadwickDon Chadwick Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi...hope someone can help me understand a few things to help me make a buying decision...

I had a trusty old Humax PVR9200t which I was extremely happy with. However, deciding to upgrade to Youview I went with Talk Talk and their Huawei box. This box is incredibly slow though. My questions are....

1. Is the Humax DTR1010 generally faster and better featured than the Huawei?
    2. If I connect the Humax to my TT service I believe the Huey will update and appear TT branded. Is it just branding or does that mean the software is essentially now all TT version and therefore the Huey will also be slow? (don't know if the Huawei box is slow because of hardware or software)
    3. I think I have read correctly that the Huey will pick up my Sky TV Boosts from TT?

Thanks for any advice.....

Don
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM

Hi...hope someone can help me understand a few things to help me make a buying decision...

I had a trusty old Humax PVR9200t which I was extremely happy with. However, deciding to upgrade to Youview I went with Talk Talk and their Huawei box. This box is incredibly slow though. My questions are....

2. If I connect the Humax to my TT service I believe the Huey will update and appear TT branded. Is it just branding or does that mean the software is essentially now all TT version and therefore the Huey will also be slow? (don't know if the Huawei box is slow because of hardware or software)
    3. I think I have read correctly that the Huey will pick up my Sky TV Boosts from TT?

Don

Hi Don - the software base across all the boxes is basically common. There is some low level device software that is manufacturer specific and then some higher level variant software such as the TT player. The bulk of the software though is the common YouView software where the differences are simply around how recently the box variant has received an update (which in the case of the Huawei boxes tends to be well behind the Humax boxes).

The box speed differences are then largely a hardware issue where the original Humax boxes are acknowledged as faster than the original Huawei ones. If you want the fastest box and are buying retail then you should go for the new Humax T2000 box.

If you connect a Humax box to a TalkTalk broadband line then it will pick up the TalkTalk player but other than that will continue to track its orginal software branch (be that the main retail or BT branch depending on the box supplier/brander).

Since the Humax software has up to now always been ahead of the Huawei software that generally means anything you could do including the TV boosts on a TalkTalk box you can do on a Humax box on a TalkTalk connection with suitable subscription.

You may also want to check out some of the topics listed here for some background info :)
  • Don ChadwickDon Chadwick Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 November 2014, 11:23PM

Don

Thanks Keith. Fantastic response and clears it all up nicely for me. I'll take a look at the T2000 as suggested.

Cheers.
  • Lorraine FordLorraine Ford Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 January 2015, 7:38PM

Don

Hi  We got rid of Sky.  bought HumaxFreesat which is great.  We have Bt Infinity BT sport via laptop.  Is there a clever 'connection' we could do to see BTS through our Freesat box ??
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

Don

Only Humax YouView boxes with a BT broadband service will support BT Sport, you can't access it on Freesat. Your alternatives are the laptop as you currently get it, or via the BT Sports app on tablets and smartphones.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM

Don

One could use a HDMI cable from the laptop directly to the TV, by-passing the box completely. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Lorraine FordLorraine Ford Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 January 2015, 8:48PM
    Many thanks for that - much appreciated.  We can now make decisions on your help.
    Lorraine
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Don

If you have a laptop with HDMI, that is. But most TVs will accept a VGA input from a laptop, though you will need a separate connection for the sound.

Otherwise, you could cast the app from a mobile or tablet that supports Miracast to a TV or other device connected to a TV that supports Miracast, or from an Apple device via an Apple TV box, or maybe via a Chromecast or a Roku if you have one,

Or forsake the FreeSat box, at least for this purpose, sign up for BT TV, get a 'free' YouView box, and watch BT Sport on that.

The world is your lobster, as Arthur Daley would say.
    Three cheers for reasoned debate, whether for or against