What does the time on the front panel of a Humax DTR-T1010 mean?

David HormanDavid Horman Posts: 2Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Can someone help me understand what the time that scrolls across the front panel of my Humax DTR-T1010 means when I've paused and am catching up on a program?

For example, I'm listening to the radio, and am 1 minute behind the broadcast - the display says 17:46.
If I scroll back to -10 minutes , the display now says 17:55.

As I continue to listen, the number drops, so a few minutes after I wrote the above it now reads 17:43 at -1 minutes from live.

I'm not 17 minutes into the program, and there aren't 17 minutes left, so what does the number mean?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    17 is the hour, so you must be watching this at about a quarter to six in the evening.

As to the minutes, this looks like a bug; if you scroll back ten minutes, it should either say 17:35, because that's when the minute you are watching was recorded, or 17:55 because that is when the live 'now' minute will get to be shown to you. (And the first option seems more logical to me).

But either way, the display should increment from this point as you Play, not decrement, as that does not make any sense.

But I can confirm from present observation that it does indeed decrement as you watch on, though when I scroll back ten minutes, it does show ten minutes less, not ten minutes more. And that's what I'd expect.

To be exact, I started watching Graham Norton at 22:39, it's now 22:57, and if I scroll back to the beginning, the front panel does say 22:39, which is, as above, what I'd expect. so far. But as I fast-forward back to time now, it does indeed drop - to 22:21, i.e. -18, not the +18 it should be.

The on-screen display works rather differently, and what it shows does seem correct.

But the front panel display is going backwards, instead of forwards.

However, David, are you sure you got your example right? If you were 1 minute behind at 17:55, scrolled back ten minutes to 17:46, and then after a few minutes the display said 17:43, you'd be describing exactly what I'm seeing. But with 17:46 and 17:55 transposed, you aren't.

But for both of us, we are indubitably seeing the front panel display decrement from then on, when it should increment. I call 'bug'.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • David HormanDavid Horman Posts: 2Member
    edited 8 February 2014, 12:26AM
    Thanks for the confirmation. I may have got a little confused earlier, but I can tell you now that I changed over to Channel 4 at 22:05, I'm currently at -23 minutes, and the time on the display is showing 21:10!

So yeah, it does seem to be related to the current time, but... wrongly.
  • northernnorthern Posts: 241Member
    edited 22 February 2017, 6:07PM
    Was /has this bug ever been sorted as my display goes backwards /decrement after pausing live television
  • Stewart McKendrickStewart McKendrick Posts: 1Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I am watching BBC Breakfast. The time is 08:25. The time on screen is 08:22 (I have paused for 3 minutes). The time on the display shows 06:37. I started watching at 07:30 so this figure makes no sense at all.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

I am watching BBC Breakfast. The time is 08:25. The time on screen is 08:22 (I have paused for 3 minutes). The time on the display shows 06:37. I started watching at 07:30 so this figure makes no sense at all.

The thing to know is that due to a programming error, the display timer decrements instead of incrementing after a rewind - or as you have discovered, after a pause as well, it seems.

At 8:25, real time, you are 55 minutes from switch on at 07:30; but 55 minutes backwards from 07:30 gets to 06:35.

Accordingly, I would hypothesise that you paused your YouView box not more than a couple of minutes after you switched it on, rather than later in your 55 minutes of watching.

So while it may not make apparent sense, the behaviour can at least be explained, and it's even possible to make deductions based on it.

High time Humax fixed this, though, and also the bug whereby the display shows different FF speeds from the screen values.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • Ian RoweIan Rowe Posts: 2Member
    edited 24 April 2014, 3:54PM
    @Roy

Thanks for redirecting me to this post, it seems like many of us have a similar issue.

My confusion is with the fact that up until a week or so ago, my Humax worked just fine. In a paused or catch-up state the front panel always showed the actual time not this backwards, out-of-sync time.

Based on this I would assume that this bug has been caused by a recent OTA software update on my machine. If that's the case, then why can't Humax simply undo what they did wrong in the first place (I know it's never that simple but they are the experts so they should be able to figure it out).
    Would be nice if YV could comment on this and if steps are being taken to rectify
  • Robin2Robin2 Posts: 22Member
    edited 2 March 2015, 2:29PM

I've got this "decrementing" problem on "Chase play" too; have had it ever since a faulty retail box (DTR-T1000 ) was replaced (with a new DTR T1010) just after Christmas, followed by updating the software to the then latest version.  I tried to report it to Humax [or maybe it was to BT, as I have a DTR-T1000 supplied by them as well and that had a different fault at the time!] but they couldn't or wouldn't understand what I was saying and said the box they were looking at at the time didn't behave that way!  I've tried several times to find "confirmation" that others were experiencing this problem so it's good to find these posts today.  I'm wondering whether any of) the other 'posters' are only recently experiencing this and have boxes supplied by BT, because until the recent roll-out of an update on these I'm seeing this weird "decrementing" on my BT box as well as my retail one, whereas until last week the BT box was fine in this respect.

• DADA Posts: 142Member
    edited 3 May 2014, 8:08PM
    Believe it or not I submitted this bug back in the 2012 trial of the YouView box. It was never fixed.
    Perhaps YV could comment on this ?
  • Robin2Robin2 Posts: 22Member
    edited 2 March 2015, 2:29PM
    Reading through previous posts again I realise I might have added a bit more to my first one.  I think the problem is a bit more complicated/has another dimension than simply "the time counter 'going the wrong way' ".   I've noticed - and this seems to be what some others are reporting - that if I pause or skip back after I've been watching something for some time the point from which scrolling time begins jumps way back.  [Sorry that isn't very clear; it's hard to describe intelligibly because it's so crazy!]  I'd say it starts to scroll (backwards) from as far 'behind' the time you started watching as you've been watching for; e.g. if you've been watching something (i.e. - and NB - you've been on the same channel) for half an hour, then pause and/or skip back, the time from which scrolling ("backwards") starts is an hour behind "present time".  Something like that anyhow!  It makes no sense in terms of what would be useful info. to display, and must surely be a programming glitch.