Controlling Panasonic TV with BT Youview remote

jezcainejezcaine Posts: 2Member
edited 29 September 2017, 9:16PM in Discussion
I have followed instructions in BT guide (p.45; same on BT.com/help/remote). I can send the Panasonic code to the tv (3846) - and the tv turns off (step 3).

Then I release the YV remote 'TV' button. Press it again to turn on the Panasonic, but then nothing happens.

The YV remote is also left frozen with its blue light on ( have to take batteries out to reset).

Has anyone successfully programmed a BT YV remote control with a Panasonic TX-L32E5B? It is a Viera model and it is connected to the YV box via HDMI2 input.

Comments

• tullyhubberttullyhubbert Posts: 10Member
    edited 8 September 2017, 4:17PM
    I had the identical issue (Up to a point) with a Samsung TV and the new remote supplied with a DTR-T2100. After entering the Samsung code and turning off the TV the remote had the blue light permanently on, I had to take the batteries out to get the light off. Replaced the batteries immediately and found the remote was programmed and controlled the TV ok. (Left well enough alone at that point)

Not much help I know.
  • jezcainejezcaine Posts: 2Member
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Solved it - although not according to the BT Youview instructions.

At step 4 after the TV has turned off - "testing" the remote was pressing the TV On button. The TV does not come on, but the red LED on the TV flickers meaning it is sensing the remote.

THEN - you press OK on the YV remote.

Now the YV remote TV ON, TV AV, and Vol controls work.
  • Alastair DobellAlastair Dobell Posts: 1Member
    edited 9 April 2014, 9:40PM
    jezcaine said:

At step 4 after the TV has turned off - "testing" the remote was pressing the TV On button. The TV does not come on, but the red LED on the TV flickers meaning it is sensing the remote.

Thanks ... worked for me.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The BT instructions say:-

If everything's okay, press OK to confirm. The blue light will flash again and your remote will be programmed for your TV

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...

Were you looking at something else?
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Bri2Bri2 Posts: 3Member
    edited 7 February 2015, 12:00AM
    jezcaine said:

Almost worked. Not certain TV AV is working properly.

Suspect there are several code combinations which might be picked up and some will work partially and one will fully work.

• DazbDazb Posts: 3Member
    edited 22 February 2015, 3:07AM
    Roy1 said:

If everything's okay, press OK to confirm. The blue light will flash again and your remote will be programmed for your TV

tried that and still not working for me.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,226Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Roy1 said:

Hi Dazb

There aren't any threads on here carrying this discussion any further forward that I can find for you.

Which is not quite the same as saying there aren't any such threads, given the hopeless Search this GetSatisfaction Community software provides, but I don't recall any.

Which model of TV have you got? Panasonic plasmas are known to interfere with the YouView box when using the remote though I don't think this is the remote itself that is affected, more the box.

Which YouView box have you got? BT have brought out some new ones, so if you have, say, the the zapper box, you need to follow the specific instructions in the user guide for it.

Which is no bad thing to do even if you have an older one, that is nominally covered by the link above.

Failing that, I fear you will have to get on to BT, and ask their helpline what you should try next :-(
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
    edited 16 February 2017, 5:43PM

I eventually managed it.

The underlying problem is that the Panasonic needs a long press on the remote to turn it on. So in setting up the Youview remote at the stage of trying to turn on the TV you have to look for just a flicker on the TV red light (because a long press would move on the code). At that point you want to test if the volume and AV controls work (before pressing OK). Now turn on the TV with its own remote and test volume and AV control work on the Youview remote. If they work  test if the TV off control still works. If it does you have finished and press OK to memorise settings. If it doesn't restart the set up process without pressing OK and the remote will try new codes.

It took a long time. I probably found 4 codes which partially worked before finding the one which did everything. Sometimes after finding Volume and AV worked, Off no longer worked. The trick was using the TV remote at times to turn it on or off for the appropriate test stage of the Youview remote and not pressing OK (to memorise codes) until you knew you had everything set.

edited 22 February 2015, 1:04PM
    Bri2 said:

I eventually managed it.

The underlying problem is that the Panasonic needs a long press on the remote to turn it on. So in setting up the Youview remote at the stage of trying to turn on the TV you have to look for just a flicker on the TV red light (because a long press would move on the code). At that point you want to test if the volume and AV controls work (before pressing OK). Now turn on the TV with its own remote and test volume and AV control work on the Youview remote. If they work  test if the TV off control still works. If it does you have finished and press OK to memorise settings. If it doesn't restart the set up process without pressing OK and the remote will try new codes.

It took a long time. I probably found 4 codes which partially worked before finding the one which did everything. Sometimes after finding Volume and AV worked, Off no longer worked. The trick was using the TV remote at times to turn it on or off for the appropriate test stage of the Youview remote and not pressing OK (to memorise codes) until you knew you had everything set.

Sort thanks I just turned off after turning the tv off pressed ok blue light flashed three times and it works. Trying the whole list of stuff before pressing ok did not work.
    edited 22 February 2015, 4:16PM
    Bri2 said:

I eventually managed it.

It might be a matter of luck and model dependant. I'm guessing the control cycles through possible Panasonic codes for the various models and you might hit the right one quickly. It took a lot of attempts before I hit the right one and initially I seemed to be returning repeatedly to the same wrong codes presumably because I was restarting the cycle rather than continuing from the last attempt.
    edited 22 February 2015, 4:14PM
    Bri2 said:

I eventually managed it.

think you right i just held the tv button you can tell when it trys a different code as the flashes once, but that doesnt explain why i had tried this many times. but by not going through the full testing set up and just hitting ok. it works
  • Joe ByrneJoe Byrne Posts: 1Member
    edited 17 August 2015, 11:37AM
    got mine to work by hitting ok as soon as the tv turned off. Remote then did everything ok.
  • Helen GourlayHelen Gourlay Posts: 1Member
    edited 4 April 2015, 11:10AM
    This solution worked for me. Many thanks.
  • Michael HartleyMichael Hartley Posts: 1Member
    edited 18 May 2015, 10:53AM

I had the identical issue (Up to a point) with a Samsung TV and the new remote supplied with a DTR-T2100. After entering the Samsung code and turning off the TV the remote had the blue light permanently on, I had to take the batteries out to get the light off. Replaced the batteries immediately and found the remote was programmed and controlled the TV ok. (Left well enough alone at that point)

Not much help I know.

It worked for me. By help line didn't know this idea.
  • Anthony Carter2Anthony Carter2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 23 May 2015, 12:38PM
    I can turn tv on/off but can't change channels voll works
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 329Member ✭✭
    edited 19 April 2017, 9:35AM
    Only worked with the earlier controller I believe. With the DTR-2100 controller that I have on/off,volume (inc mute) & AV are the only ones that work.
  • DaveAshworthDaveAshworth Posts: 1Member
    edited 29 June 2015, 7:23PM
    jezcaine said:

Jezcaine has the answer, well done sir!
  • LarissaLarissa Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 July 2015, 5:51PM
    jezcaine said:

Thanks very much - that fixed it!
  • Fred MayFred May Posts: 1Member
    edited 23 August 2015, 8:15PM
    Goodness This was useful thanks. Bt instructions miss out from Step4 when TV turns off release then press OK and blue light flashes three times.before trying to switch back on.
  • Dimi RoudarskiDimi Roudarski Posts: 1Member
    edited 17 August 2015, 11:37AM
    Joe Byrne said:

got mine to work by hitting ok as soon as the tv turned off. Remote then did everything ok.

this worked for me, after having tried several other ways, thank you!
  • Derek SandersDerek Sanders Posts: 1Member
    edited 20 August 2015, 4:29PM
    jezcaine said:

press the tv av button again and again untill you scroll down the list.
  • GarethHerdGarethHerd Posts: 1Member
    edited 21 August 2015, 3:09AM
    Bri2 said:

I eventually managed it.

Thanks ! This worked for me. I could see my old Panasonic plasma required a longer button press than the YouView remote sent before it tried another combination. As soon as your TV led blinks release your finger and press OK and try power on/off, volume, TV AV. If it all does not work start again from the beginning but this time skip the first led blink you already tried, keep your finger pressed and wait for the next (2nd one). No good? start again and wait for the third, fourth, fifth etc etc. You have to try each one in turn. It did take me a few attempts but it worked and was less painful than phoning support, who I am guessing would NEVER have suggested I tried the above.
    Many thanks Bri, !!

I have YouView+ Humax box through my ISP - Plusnet with a Panasonic Plasma TV ( TH-37PX600B - for this model it actually turned out to be the first LED blink).
  • Brian958Brian958 Posts: 47Member
    edited 26 July 2017, 9:01PM
    Step 4, as you say is missing.
  • Jonnie GilmoreJonnie Gilmore Posts: 1Member
    edited 26 September 2015, 8:49AM
    jezcaine said:

Worked for me with a Panasonic TV Model TQFF325.
    Thanks.
  • TomWTomW Posts: 453Member
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    jezcaine said:

Thanks v much. This worked for me. Panasonic TX-L42ET5B
  • Gary MeneelyGary Meneely Posts: 1Member
    edited 19 November 2015, 10:34PM
    jezcaine said:

Thanks a lot Jezcaine it worked a treat, I'd been trying all sorts of things prior to this.

5 STARS ***** FOR SHARING THIS FIX  
  • Alan HutchinsAlan Hutchins Posts: 1Member
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:19PM

Not much help I know.

It worked for me too!!! BT's solution was to send me a replacement remote which resulted in the same problem. Evidently the YouView manual is at fault in omitting that one vital step.

• Chris N Dave HillierChris N Dave Hillier Posts: 1Member
    edited 10 November 2015, 9:24PM
    jezcaine said:

thanks jezcaine it worked first time of trying after spending hours thinking i'd got a faulty control
  • Mike GreenlandMike Greenland Posts: 1Member
    edited 11 November 2015, 7:10PM
    jezcaine said:

Excellent, this worked for me. Annoying the instruction book is wrong!!
  • Murray WebsterMurray Webster Posts: 1Member
    edited 23 November 2015, 12:55PM
    jezcaine said:

Simple but elegant solution brought about by an inspired leap of intuition. My sincere thanks and welcome to my Hall of Fame, guru Jezcaine!
    Kind regards, Murweb