Controlling Panasonic TV with BT Youview remote

2»

Comments

• Michael TaylorMichael Taylor Posts: 1Member
    edited 30 November 2015, 8:56PM
    jezcaine said:

Solved it - although not according to the BT Youview instructions.

At step 4 after the TV has turned off - "testing" the remote was pressing the TV On button. The TV does not come on, but the red LED on the TV flickers meaning it is sensing the remote.

THEN - you press OK on the YV remote.

Now the YV remote TV ON, TV AV, and Vol controls work.

Mike Tee

Many thanks.... solved the problem as well.... BT manual at fault by omitting step 6.!!!

only 5 steps in my manual and also on the quick set-up guide!

Yes Roy's BT link has the correct 6 steps... why is it not printed in the manual with the box then ???? Even the man at PC world were I bought the box was stumped!

Well done Jezcaine!

• Matt KangaraniMatt Kangarani Posts: 1Member
    edited 4 December 2015, 6:37PM

I had the identical issue (Up to a point) with a Samsung TV and the new remote supplied with a DTR-T2100. After entering the Samsung code and turning off the TV the remote had the blue light permanently on, I had to take the batteries out to get the light off. Replaced the batteries immediately and found the remote was programmed and controlled the TV ok. (Left well enough alone at that point)

Not much help I know.

I am having the same problem. I will try the suggested work around later. I just spoke to BT help desk. The call center is in India, the guy had no clue what I should do.  Keep telling me it is best if I call tv manufacturer asking for the code for my Panasonic Tv. He suggested a telephone number for some countries. I told him the number was not a Uk number!!! BT help desk need to read your suggestion and pass it on to customers who call them for advise.
  • Brenda2Brenda2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 December 2015, 9:15AM
    jezcaine said:

At step 4 after the TV has turned off - "testing" the remote was pressing the TV On button. The TV does not come on, but the red LED on the TV flickers meaning it is sensing the remote.

This works!! Thanks so much. I had spent ages trying to sort out this problem. Why haven't BT updated their guide it is apparent this is a longstanding problem. Your solution is so straightforward Jezcaine.
  • Martin WilliamsonMartin Williamson Posts: 1Member
    edited 12 December 2015, 1:48PM
    jezcaine said:

I had exactly the same problem with my remote control and no matter what codes I used or buttons I pressed it remained the same. Phoned BT and they sent me a new remote.
     The original and the new remote had exactly the same problems and no matter what I did they mirrored each other. I then used my brain instead of the BT instructions, the problem had to be with the box it'self. I decided to reboot the box.

I pressed the top left hand Button (power) and kept it depressed whilst the TV screen went blank, after a few seconds it fired up again. The box had rebooted, both my remote controls now worked. I tried it again and it now always works.

Martin
  • Winsum WrightWinsum Wright Posts: 1Member
    edited 2 September 2016, 10:08PM
    jezcaine said:

Hello
    A big thank you for the information, I have been following the instructions in the book, just done it now
  • Steve TuckerSteve Tucker Posts: 1Member
    edited 17 December 2016, 9:46PM
    Roy1 said:

The BT instructions say:-

If everything's okay, press OK to confirm. The blue light will flash again and your remote will be programmed for your TV

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...

Were you looking at something else?

Hi Roy you mention the Panasonic plasma interference with Youview boxes - I experienced this with the TalkTalk DN370T , and the cure with the DN372T. I recently moved to BT and got an unwelcome surprised - the Humax BT badged DTR T2110 has the same problem - unresponsive remote that is cured with white paper over the sensor.
    Does anyone know it BT are aware of this issue? Otherwise a fault log will result in them swapping the box. For another with same issue. .it really needs updated hardware.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 13,944Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 February 2017, 4:52PM
    Roy1 said:

If everything's okay, press OK to confirm. The blue light will flash again and your remote will be programmed for your TV

Something as simple as moving the YouView box out of the field of the plasma can help - pushing it a bit backwards on the shelf below the TV, or moving it to a lower one.
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Atif AhmedAtif Ahmed Posts: 1Member
    edited 26 December 2016, 11:55AM
    Bri2 said:

I eventually managed it.

The underlying problem is that the Panasonic needs a long press on the remote to turn it on. So in setting up the Youview remote at the stage of trying to turn on the TV you have to look for just a flicker on the TV red light (because a long press would move on the code). At that point you want to test if the volume and AV controls work (before pressing OK). Now turn on the TV with its own remote and test volume and AV control work on the Youview remote. If they work  test if the TV off control still works. If it does you have finished and press OK to memorise settings. If it doesn't restart the set up process without pressing OK and the remote will try new codes.

It took a long time. I probably found 4 codes which partially worked before finding the one which did everything. Sometimes after finding Volume and AV worked, Off no longer worked. The trick was using the TV remote at times to turn it on or off for the appropriate test stage of the Youview remote and not pressing OK (to memorise codes) until you knew you had everything set.

Bri, Thank you.  After a long time wondering why i couldn't get this working, this method has worked.  Brilliant.
  • Joanne DraysonJoanne Drayson Posts: 2Member
    edited 14 February 2017, 7:25PM
    Roy1 said:

Brillant suggestion. Thank you Roy.
    Just had BT technician to try and sort my problem out - on third new Youview it appeared to work but he suggested not trying to add volume from Panasomic TV as it seemed to cause the problem which meant remote control did not work hardly.
    After he left Youview remote again failed to work. 
    Following your suggestion I raised Youview box by about 5cms and lowered TV by similar amount ( moved DVD player from under TV and put under Youview box instead).
    Bingo all works perfectly plus volume buttons on Youview remote even though this hadn't been programmed with this box or remote!! 
    Must be something to do with signals interfering.
    edited 17 February 2017, 11:35PM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks Joanna

The standard we aspire to is that chance remarks on a remote, free, forum from someone who hasn't even got a plasma TV should beat out a roomful of on-site paid-for BT technicians :-))
    ‘Does television exist for us to watch, or do we exist to watch television?’ - Noah Hawley
  • Joanne DraysonJoanne Drayson Posts: 2Member
    edited 17 February 2017, 11:35PM
    Roy1 said:

Another update - I had further problems with the remote but have found that leaving the remote too near to the TV seems to be causing the problem. I have found removing the batteries in the remote and replacing them resets the remote and it works fine again. It has accidentally been placed back onto the shelf near TV several times by him who thinks he knows best, but provided it is kept elsewhere there has been no further problems. So I think there may be a combination of problems in my case 1. the relationship of Youview to position of TV plus 2. proximity of remote left too close to TV.
    To give the BT technician his due he did say that several factors could interfere with the signal including microwave ovens so it makes sense that the TV and Youview and remote are conflicting.
    edited 18 February 2017, 8:16AM
    Roy1 said:

If you have a smartphone, its camera will make IR visible to the human eye - certainly well enough that you can see the output from the business end of a remote.

Seeing IR given off from the TV might be more problematical, as it would probably be only a faint glow, and the TV is giving off heat and light anyway, usually.

But if you get a black screen up, e.g. from an unused HDMI input, and make the room dark, it might be illuminating to see what you can see.

IR is like any other sort of light really, except it's in a part of the spectrum we can't see, but like ordinary light, it goes in straight lines, gets reflected, and so on, and what you are trying to do here is get the YouView box, or at least its IR sensor, iin deep IR shadow, out of the line of sight from wherever the IR is coming from, or any significant reflections of it.

But perhaps HWTHKB has already expounded on this? :-)
  • Peter CarrollPeter Carroll Posts: 1Member
    edited 5 April 2017, 1:21PM

I had the identical issue (Up to a point) with a Samsung TV and the new remote supplied with a DTR-T2100. After entering the Samsung code and turning off the TV the remote had the blue light permanently on, I had to take the batteries out to get the light off. Replaced the batteries immediately and found the remote was programmed and controlled the TV ok. (Left well enough alone at that point)

Not much help I know.

Well done it worked , just remember to press ok when you put batteries back in....its a strange world
  • Howard2Howard2 Posts: 1Member
    edited 12 July 2017, 9:44AM
    We had the same problem and unable to set the hand controller per instructions. Panasonic Viera TV - but even at Step 4 the TV would not turn off. We noticed the TV power light flickered (while the power-off button was held down on the remote) but then presumably the controller continued to cycle through other code variations.  So we "re-set" the controller by removing and replacing batteries, went through the same steps 1 - 3, but at Step 4 while holding down the power-off button as soon as we saw the power light flicker on the TV we released the power-off button.  The blue light on the controller stays on. Remove and replace batteries from controller. Then hold down Power-Off button - and hey presto, TV turned off.  Volume control and channel input controls also working.  What a lot of faff - but eventually fixed it.
  • Ian CookeIan Cooke Posts: 1Member
    edited 8 September 2017, 4:17PM

Not much help I know.

Thanks for the info. Work a treat on my Panasonic TV with my new replacement controller as the help deck told me the old one was broke!!
  • helen boffyhelen boffy Posts: 1Member
    edited 29 September 2017, 9:16PM
    I found that as soon as the tv went off I needed to press ok. Don’t hold down the tv off button any longer as it scrolls through other codes. It took a while to realise this though.
  • JonAJonA Posts: 1Member
    Thanks, perfectly explained. Took several attempts. Code 3846 for Panasonic. The BT helpdesk were hopeless and didn't try to help me. The TV would only turn off once in every 5 attempts while setting up. Then the TV would not go back on using the BT remote. The key was to press OK, to save the setup, after the TV switched off, rather than 'TV'. 
  • briggobriggo Posts: 1Member

I had a variation on this problem, connecting my Humax DTRT2100 Youview remote control to a Panasonic plasma TV. In my case the TV would not turn off at the appropriate stage in the procedure. The solution was to look for the flashing light on the TV that indicated it had recognised a code from the remote. As soon as the TV flashing light appeared, I released the TV button on the remote and simultaneously switched off the TV with its own remote. I then pressed OK on the Youview remote to confirm and save the last code it had tried as being the correct one. I was then able to switch the TV back on with the Youview remote, and all functions worked. As in an earlier post, the root cause of the problem is that the Panasonic plasma TV needs a lengthy signal / button push in order to turn on or off. By spotting you have the correct code from the flashing light on the TV, and then storing it in the remote, even though it hasn’t worked, you can then provide the necessary long “press and hold” signals the TV needs.

2»