BT Sport

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    redchiz said:

I don't have access to BT Sport in either HD or UHD, but it was nevertheless interesting to compare the quality of the three different offerings on public view yesterday. Admittedly not very scientific, but here are my "findings" conducted over about 15 minutes in the run-up to kick-off. First, the BT Sport app via Chromecast. Very good quality, no glitches. Second, the YouTube stream, lesser quality, a fair bit of buffering though. Third, BT Showcase in SD, no interference issues as you would imagine, but dreadful quality. Finally, the performance of Liverpool was disappointing to say the least.  :-(

Yeah... Still, I suppose its still better than being on a budget TV service as well. Oh, wait...

Keep going red... I've honestly become numb to these anti-BT posts. And thats numb, not dumb. ;)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

I don't have access to BT Sport in either HD or UHD, but it was nevertheless interesting to compare the quality of the three different offerings on public view yesterday. Admittedly not very scientific, but here are my "findings" conducted over about 15 minutes in the run-up to kick-off. First, the BT Sport app via Chromecast. Very good quality, no glitches. Second, the YouTube stream, lesser quality, a fair bit of buffering though. Third, BT Showcase in SD, no interference issues as you would imagine, but dreadful quality. Finally, the performance of Liverpool was disappointing to say the least.  :-(

So you premium TV service customers aren't affected by BTOR's shortcomings then? And there was me thinking it was a level playing field for all ISPs.
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:49AM
    The Chief of engineering, BT Sport, Andy Beale, is going to be delivering a presentation on the current and future state of the UHD market at the TVBEurope summit, 28th June.  
    http://www.tvbeurope.com/channel-4-uktv-and-bt-sport-join-tvbeurope-2020/

And Richard Halton, CEO of YouView, a previous director of Project Canvas, will be presenting as well, on how the traditional content ecosystem is changing to reflect the shift in consumer content consumption. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Agenda here:-

http://www.tvbeurope2020.com/agenda/

Richard Halton is on the panel for the 10:35 Keynote Discussion.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    I'm currently watching the FA Cup Final on BBC1 HD which is being broadcast in Dolby Digital, but the sound is very flat via my Yamaha surround system. It has a lack of both volume and punch, as it were. So I've just changed channels to BT Sport 2 HD in Dolby Digital+ and my surround system just exploded into a true 5.1 surround experience with greatly increased volume.

The UHD platform is a separate feed but surly both BT and the BBC should be using the same feed for sound & HD? I'm at a loss to explain this.
    Visionman said:

I'm currently watching the FA Cup Final on BBC1 HD which is being broadcast in Dolby Digital, but the sound is very flat via my Yamaha surround system. It has a lack of both volume and punch, as it were. So I've just changed channels to BT Sport 2 HD in Dolby Digital+ and my surround system just exploded into a true 5.1 surround experience with greatly increased volume.

The UHD platform is a separate feed but surly both BT and the BBC should be using the same feed for sound & HD? I'm at a loss to explain this.

Sorry to learn that your surround system has exploded, I hope it is still under warranty.
    Visionman said:

Whether Freeview or internet, it usually processes HE-ACC3 very well. HE-ACC3 means High-Efficiency Advanced Audio Coding with MPEG-4. Yours?

BT Sport's channels don't use the above. They use Dolby Digital+ which requires higher bit rates. Again, yours?

MOtD using HE-ACC3 is usually superb in 5.1, but for this flagship event its poor. As I said above, I'm at a loss to explain it. Can you?
    Visionman said:

I'm not sure of the tech specs lurking within my modest LG soundbar, but the display tells me that BBC One HD is coming through in DD 3.2.1 and it sounds just fine. Unfortunately I am not in a position to do a direct comparison with BT Sports HD, sorry.
    Visionman said:

Thanks for the feedback on your soundbar. It must be my AV.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Visionman said:

HE-AAC

As the name this is compressed from (hee-hee) implies.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Visionman said:

Not a clue what you're on about.
    Visionman said:

Clearly... 

Dam typo's (or my head). And your right. THX1138, anyone? G'on...  image 
    Visionman said:

Hi redchiz

Here is my methodology for unknown references:-

(i) These are usually either product codes, or something else. Determine which of these two categories they fall into

(ii) If a product code, try to find the user manual. This will usually have the information you (or more probably the owner of the product, posting a query here) seek, which can be cut and pasted as required.

(iii) If a something else, look it up on Google, and in the first instance, read the Wikipedia entry. Some people have an unjustifiably low opinion of Wikipedia; although its potential weaknesses are well documented, it is generally a valuable resource for an initial read-around, and can be correlated against other references if you are at all dubious, or if you feel the need to go deeper.

A read about HE-AAC, for instance, is readily available at:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-...

And a read about THX-1138 would reveal the relevance of Visionman's apparently oblique reply:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX_1138

Dammit, there go all my secrets... :-)
    Visionman said:

Hey Roy, only now realised that the post I didn't understand was highlighting a typo, I have just noticed the rather indistinct emboldening of the second A. Delighted to hear that you know how to use Google.  :-)
    Visionman said:

Hmmm - what platform are you seeing that indistinct emboldening of the A on?

The really hard thing about using Google is choosing your search term - a lot of people try to second-guess what Google might best respond to.

I find the best thing is to ask it as if I was asking a human.

And also to ignore the reference that points back where I just came from :-)
    Visionman said:

Hi Visionman - couldn't see that smiley :-(

"Firefox can't find the server at www.freesmileys.org"

I expect redchiz will come up with some witticism :-)
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Champions League final ratings -

BT Sport Europe (Sky & Virgin Media) - match average: 1.67m (8.5% audience share), peak: 2.28m (13.7%).
    BT Sport Showcase (Freeview) - match average: 894k (4.6%), peak: 1.23m (7.4%) 
    Total average 2.56m (13.1%) with a peak: 3.51m (21.1%).*

*Figures do not include Youtube, YouView from BT TV or the BT Sport app.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    Most were watching the BGT final on ITV.
    David8 said:

I know. Which had figures of 3m down on last year. ITV have intimated they won't be putting the BGT final up against the CL Final next year, as the head to head ultimately harmed both.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    David8 said:

I'm sure UEFA will look to change things at the next rights the overall viewing is drastically down on previous seasons.
    David8 said:

Such an impact was inevitable, with UEFA choosing to take the money and run. A move I don't agree with, but they chose to take the money anyway. But change things how?
    David8 said:

Perhaps recognise that increased revenue from advertisers and sponsors, offered much larger audiences on FTA channels, might outweigh the smaller amounts these channels can offer upfront?
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    David8 said:

Pity Bernie and F1 didn't recognise that when they sold out to sky only

The Sky F1 channel struggles to break the million barrier..
    David8 said:

And, perhaps surprisingly, Sky Sports coverage of the Premier League averages out at only 1.1m per game out of an estimated 6M Sky Sports subscribers.

The digital platform figures are out now - BT.com, the BT Sport app and Youtube got a combined 1.8m viewers, which is a very healthy figure.
    David8 said:

News just in: "BT are ace, Sky are rubbish" shock-horror!  image
    David8 said:

So the two finals were watched by about 6 million viewers each. 12million viewers over the 2 weeks. Will that help the renewal or not.

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2016/05/30/...
    David8 said:

Going forward it’s likely that the huge boost in audience viewing figures will help BT Sport when it comes to renegotiating the broadcast deal when it expires at the end of the 2017/18 season.

No, not really. It appears UEFA have gone down the Premier League route of chasing the most money first, figures second. Not to mention ICC cricket's low coverage figures. So low they've been roundly slaughtered for it, but continue to do it. Even BT have got in the act, but it hasn't been widely publicised...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/02/29/bt-sport-win-battle-to-show-englands-next-ashes-series... 

Due to the very low viewing figures on (all) pay TV platforms, I completely disagree with total exclusivity contracts and believe all sports should have a mix of pay for and free, for wider availability of access by all fans, even the casual viewer. But it doesn't appear thats going to happen.
    David8 said:

I totally understand your thinking and it would be a nice nirvana but also not strictly accurate. Take a look at the aviva premiership rugby viewing figures. They are now more than double they have ever been in a decade and that is BECAUSE BT Sport have bought the exclusive rights. You can argue that showing it on main stream fta tv would have produced even higher figures but the fact is no one wanted to.
    There will always be a trade off but the fact of the matter is without the exclusive hook the programmes become close to worthless against the fta version for a pay TV company. If you wanted fair then you would make the broadcaster pay a percentage based on its viewing figures and that would mean the fta broadcaster would in most cases pay 4 times more than the pay TV broadcaster... Can you imagine asking the BBC or ITV to swallow that...
    David8 said:

No, one couldn't. And I agree with you. The Aviva premiership rugby coverage has been an outstanding success, but is balanced by one fact - its coverage was the lead after BTs 12.45pm EPL Saturday coverage, which is an umbrella they won't have next season as BT switch EPL coverage to Saturday 5.30pm and mid-weeks from next season. So its continued viewing base figure will be interesting to see. There are many factors that influence viewing figures, that aren't just confined to the content itself. To give an example - In the above scenario, putting the BTG Final up against the CL Final ultimately harmed them both and if it hadn't have happened both would have garnered even more viewers. If that makes sense.
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Premier League games from next season -

THE PACKAGES SKY WON -  5 out of 7

Package A comprises 28 games on Saturday lunchtimes 12.30pm with 6 first picks.

Package C has 28 games kicking off between 1.30pm and 2.15pm on Sundays. 

Package D is the 4pm Sunday bundle of 28 games - crucially with 18 'first pick' games.

Package E is the 'Monday night football' 8pm bundle, with 18 games on Mondays plus 10 on Fridays; this is the first time Premier League games will be shown live on Friday evenings. There are no first picks in this package.

Package G is a bundle of 14 games on Bank Holidays and other Sunday matches with two first picks.

THE PACKAGES BT SPORT WON - 2 out of 7

Package B has 28 games at tea-time on Saturdays 5.30pm with 9 first picks.

Packages F has 14 games, a mix of midweek and Saturday games including three first picks.

50 per cent of the revenue is divided equally between the clubs with no bias. 25 per cent is awarded on a merit basis, determined by final league positions and 25 per cent is distributed as a facilities fee for televised matches.