BT Sport

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Visionman said:

I see BT have been granted an extra Television Broadcast License - BT Sport Extra 1.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/updates/082014

Don't like the name, though.

Yes that is very true, but even with the same line up sky wouldn't have to go for the same packages they got last time, they could go for the coverted 4pm sunday slot only and let someone else take the Monday night games..

You could end up with sky paying £2b for sunday games and BT paying the same for sat and Monday night packages...

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

I see BT have been granted an extra Television Broadcast License - BT Sport Extra 1.

I agree Sky won't want to lose the Sunday 4pm slot. For completeness, heres the full current breakdown of packages -

Package A (BT): 26 at Sat 12.45pm
    - 13 1st picks
    - 13 4th picks

Package B (BSkyB): 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
    - 22 3rd picks
    - 4 5th picks

Package C (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 1.30pm/2.05pm
    - 13 2nd picks
    - 13 3rd picks

Package D (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm
    - 20 1st picks
    - 6 4th picks

Package E (BSkyB): 18-22 at Mon 8pm; 4-8 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm or Sat 12.45pm
    - 12 2nd picks
    - 10 4th picks
    - 4 5th picks

Package F (BSkyB): 12 at Sat 5.30pm
    - 8 2nd picks
    - 4 4th picks

Package G (BT): 10 Midweek and Bank hols; 2 at Sat 12.45pm
    - 5 1st picks
    - 5 2nd picks
    - 2 5th picks

Club Quotas (in alphabetical package order):
    Maximum: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, 2 (Total = 28)
    Minimum: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (Total = 5)

Pick totals:
    - 38 1st picks
    - 38 2nd picks
    - 35 3rd picks
    - 33 4th picks
    - 10 5th picks
  • scottscott Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Visionman said:

Never seen the full breakdown, thanks for that. I know BT would love to have more first picks but with only the Sunday package offering them I wonder if they will change that. Seems funny that BT have almost the same amount of first picks as sky but sky still seem to dictate the big matches. I presume the packs also dictate who has first choice of when to take the picks and package d has that honour, again I wonder if that will change...
    Visionman said:

Indeed. It has emerged that whoever wins the majority of first pick packages (20/18) has the controlling first picks. BT did well with first picks last season (18), but not so this. 
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    For those that like basketball, BT Sport is going to show the World Cup Basketball Final on Sunday at 8pm. This is a late schedule change so some may be unaware. Oh, and theres a semi-final on right now on ESPN. 

http://www.hoopsfix.com/2014/09/bt-sport-to-show-live-coverage-of-fiba-world-cup-closing-stages/
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 921Member ✭✭
    edited 1 March 2017, 11:49AM
    A further channel 527 BT Sport Extra 1 is now in the BT Youview EPG - currently broadcasting just a logo and music. No sign of an HD variant of this channel.
    Has French football scheduled on Friday evening and further Frnech & Portuguese matches over the weekend
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 10 May 2015, 9:38PM
    zulu17 said:

A further channel 527 BT Sport Extra 1 is now in the BT Youview EPG - currently broadcasting just a logo and music. No sign of an HD variant of this channel.
    Has French football scheduled on Friday evening and further Frnech & Portuguese matches over the weekend

It is as close as BT can get to a red button feature http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/de...
    zulu17 said:

Hopefully the first of many. I wonder if it will become a red button facility when YouView is updated? I also wonder if/when TT TV will start broadcasting these channels, now that they have full trickplay and recording facilities.
    Heres the first published BT Sport Extra 1 TV listings. Launches tomorrow -

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/tvlistings/coming-up-on-bt-sport-extra-S11363932803705
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:50PM
    Some unmissable stuff there , thanks for the list.
    David8 said:

For those that want to watch it, yes. For those not interested is either sport or football, well, sarcasm doesn't even come into it. 
  • David8David8 Posts: 645Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    David8 said:

No sarcasm meant , the list was appreciated.
    David8 said:

Without a like I didn't know, so my apologies for misinterpreting what you said and I stand corrected.
    BT and ITV are both allegedly in negotiations again and I agree with keeping some sport content on free to air television... 

BT Sport in talks with ITV over sharing Champions League and Europa League games

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-w...

Personally I hope BT doesn't do any deal with ITV unless ITV offer their HD channels to them.
    ITV have done a disservice to Youview and Freeview sports followers by not making its sports content broadcasting on ITV4 available in HD on those platforms.
    Far rather BT look at working with other free to air Freeview channels.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    "Being available to every household with a television in the UK has proven extremely attractive for Uefa’s sponsors, which do not enjoy the same reach on Sky and may have even less exposure on BT. "

Ha-ha, no ****, Sherlock!
    I broadly agree with the comments about ITV HD access (and would add CH5 to this). BBC HD would be a good choice but due to the costs involved would be highly doubtful.
    I've just had a read of the BT Community board about renewals of and for BT Sport, and its quite clear and stated in the T&Cs that renewal of these channels requires a new 12mth BB contract. And its not in small print either, its stated under "The legal stuff". But it appears that the telephone advisors are not telling customers this. Bad practice to say the least.

Its about time my provider had their **** kicked. I'm off to Ofcom.
    Little puzzled by your comment   ....my own experience is that you don't renew BT Sport once you opt for it you continue with it until it is cancelled.   
    Thats my experience too. No lock-in, no renewal, no nothing. No charge for HD either. But not for the majority of users. After 12mths, they have to ask for it and thereby have to renew a new 12mth contract. Without being told about it. Bad practice to say the least. 

I know the terms are clear, but the telephones are not.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I've had a reply back from Ofcom. Not good -

Please be assured that Ofcom is committed to tackling mis-selling in the communications market. In order to ensure consumers are protected, our regulations prohibit mis-selling to consumers when they are transferring between fixed-line providers or being sold a mobile phone service.

Our regulations do not apply to other types of sales but BT should still be selling their services fairly. If we identify evidence of widespread mis-selling in other areas of the market, we will extend our regulations. Although we cannot get involved in individual complaints, I can confirm that details of your experience have been formally recorded here.

So I have replied giving them a link to the thread -

If I cancel my BT vision subscription will my 'You View' box still work as intended?

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/if_i_cancel_my_bt_vision_subscription_will_my_you_view_...

I can't see what more I can do. Thank goodness for public forums like this.

edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:

Thats my experience too. No lock-in, no renewal, no nothing. No charge for HD either. But not for the majority of users. After 12mths, they have to ask for it and thereby have to renew a new 12mth contract. Without being told about it. Bad practice to say the least. 

I believe you are mistaken.
    Visionman said:

Sorry zulu, which part do you think I'm mistaken? Just for clarity, I'm talking about having to renew BB & phone to continue recieving it free.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Visionman said:

I've had a reply back from Ofcom. Not good -

Please be assured that Ofcom is committed to tackling mis-selling in the communications market. In order to ensure consumers are protected, our regulations prohibit mis-selling to consumers when they are transferring between fixed-line providers or being sold a mobile phone service.

Our regulations do not apply to other types of sales but BT should still be selling their services fairly. If we identify evidence of widespread mis-selling in other areas of the market, we will extend our regulations. Although we cannot get involved in individual complaints, I can confirm that details of your experience have been formally recorded here.

So I have replied giving them a link to the thread -

If I cancel my BT vision subscription will my 'You View' box still work as intended?

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/if_i_cancel_my_bt_vision_subscription_will_my_you_view_...

I can't see what more I can do. Thank goodness for public forums like this.

Point out that requesting to cease a BT TV subscription as part of a move to another fixed-line provider will likely provoke this particular piece of mis-selling as part of an effort to persuade the customer not to switch?

Otherwise known as the crime of 'obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception', or at least trying to?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Given the spread of their "customer service" teams, I'd be amazed if this was anything more than far flung staff simply not appreciating the difference between a BT Vision box and a YouView box. So - a training need - not identified, nor addressed. So ultimately, a management failing. Implying a major UK telco is behaving criminally is stretching the point I think.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Michael G said:

Given the spread of their "customer service" teams, I'd be amazed if this was anything more than far flung staff simply not appreciating the difference between a BT Vision box and a YouView box. So - a training need - not identified, nor addressed. So ultimately, a management failing. Implying a major UK telco is behaving criminally is stretching the point I think.

So you would hold that there is no mens rea accompanying the actus reus, and that strict liability does not apply?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 876Member
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:29PM
    Michael G said:

Well, my English Law studies are a long, long time ago. I did say there was a management failing. And for that the organisation has responsibility. I just don't think it demonstrates criminal intent. Perhaps I was reading the post too literally. I do tend to do that :-(
    Michael G said:

I doubt its pecuniary criminal intent. There is undoubtedly a management failing. Training, no less.
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    It looks like the migration from Digital Terrestrial Television to pure IP delivery is picking up pace. I've just read this comment on the Community forum -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently received an email from BT which states that :

"We're in the process of changing the way we deliver BT Sport to our customers. We're turning off the Digital Terrestrial Television signal that allows you to watch our sport channels through your TV aerial, and instead we will be delivering them over the internet."

They "suggested" that I get a Chromecast (for free) and "stream from my 'phone, Tablet or PC".  All well and good, but why not simpl ad an app to the BT Vision Box, or XBOX, Playstation etc. like with iPlayer, 4OD etc?

In the interest of science I tried the Chromecast, but to call its performance and usability lamentable would be overly generous.  Of course as one of the aparrent "minority" using a Windows device, I don't get most of Chromecast's "features".  Maybe it works with Android?  

As a rural dweller the likelihood of my Broadband being upgraded to anything above its current (nominal) 6Mbs looks unlikely.  As someone who pays the same for my cruddy 6Mbs Broadband as those who get 20+Mbs I feel entitled to being able to get BT Sport, and all the other "features" of being a loyal BT customer.

Perhaps someone from BT woiuld like to clarify this situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If memory serves, the BT Sport DTT licences are due to expire at the end of Jan 2015, at £10m a pop slot. So in regard to the very small % of viewers that view via DTT, its not commercially viable to continue the service via this method. And for those not on Infinity, the Chromecast bit is true.

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Visionman said:

It looks like the migration from Digital Terrestrial Television to pure IP delivery is picking up pace. I've just read this comment on the Community forum -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently received an email from BT which states that :

"We're in the process of changing the way we deliver BT Sport to our customers. We're turning off the Digital Terrestrial Television signal that allows you to watch our sport channels through your TV aerial, and instead we will be delivering them over the internet."

They "suggested" that I get a Chromecast (for free) and "stream from my 'phone, Tablet or PC".  All well and good, but why not simpl ad an app to the BT Vision Box, or XBOX, Playstation etc. like with iPlayer, 4OD etc?

In the interest of science I tried the Chromecast, but to call its performance and usability lamentable would be overly generous.  Of course as one of the aparrent "minority" using a Windows device, I don't get most of Chromecast's "features".  Maybe it works with Android?  

As a rural dweller the likelihood of my Broadband being upgraded to anything above its current (nominal) 6Mbs looks unlikely.  As someone who pays the same for my cruddy 6Mbs Broadband as those who get 20+Mbs I feel entitled to being able to get BT Sport, and all the other "features" of being a loyal BT customer.

Perhaps someone from BT woiuld like to clarify this situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If memory serves, the BT Sport DTT licences are due to expire at the end of Jan 2015, at £10m a pop slot. So in regard to the very small % of viewers that view via DTT, its not commercially viable to continue the service via this method. And for those not on Infinity, the Chromecast bit is true.

Interesting. But isn't this as much to do with abandoning the hybrid methods in which BT Vision used to operate and migrating everything over to the YouView platform as opposed to anything more significant regarding the future of broadcast vs IP TV?