BT Sport

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I've had some time to absorb all this information and I've formed the following opinion -

BT introduced BT Sport and its foray into Premier League football (Sky's turf) as a defensive measure against Sky's very successful erosion of its broadband and telephony services, its core business. And they did so by making BT Sport 'Free', or rather included in all BT broadband subscriptions. But note I did not say BT TV, as thats not required. Very clever. And it worked.

Sky have paid an 86% increase to maintain their EPL dominance, which means they will have to make both cost savings and subscription increases . In comparison, BT have paid a modest 30% increase for less first picks but 4 more matches, also modest. And disciplined. 

BT TV is whats known as a 'pay lite' TV platform and (deliberately) so is TT TV and YouView. Unlike Sky, this means BT will (if they maintain current position) be able to continue to offer BT Sport as an included add-on for all BT Broadband users, in addition to driving & retaining further broadband and/or fibre sales.

How they will choose to offer their up-coming Champions League and Europa League games will be interesting to see. Plus of course they and the BBC also have the FA Cup as well. All in all its a far stronger line up to what they have now.

Interesting times.
  • SomersetBobSomersetBob Posts: 208Member
    edited 27 February 2017, 11:19AM
    Given the large amounts of money sloshing around Football TV rights I'm sure we'll all end up paying indirectly, even those who avoid both BT and Sky (and football!!), as most of their revenue will be from advertising and the advertisers need to recoup their costs :-(
    edited 6 March 2017, 2:50PM
    Here are some tweets from Sky's Group Director of Corporate Affairs, Graham McWilliam:

""Sky went in hard to get the result. Yes, paid big. That’s what it takes. We can and will absorb it. Comparison of price paid ignores huge value gap. Super Sunday and MNF big prizes. Friday night fantastic addition to squad. New deal gives Sky Sports even better match selections. 75% of 1st & 2nd picks. Good news for our viewers. Right decision for us not to chase Champions League. £300m only guarantees 26 matches with British teams. Premier League matters more to fans. Only one company achieved all its objectives in auction. Post-rationalisation by the runners up can’t change that! Twice BT tried to muscle in and take PL rights from us. Twice Sky won maximum number of games. Blind auctions not for faint hearted. Lots of questions over last few years about challenge to Sky Sports Answer now clear - Sky Sports miles ahead for years to come."

https://twitter.com/grahammcwilliam

If I were a Sky Executive I'd be keeping a low profile right now and keeping my head down. Hard.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,998Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    Visionman said:

Here are some tweets from Sky's Group Director of Corporate Affairs, Graham McWilliam:

""Sky went in hard to get the result. Yes, paid big. That’s what it takes. We can and will absorb it. Comparison of price paid ignores huge value gap. Super Sunday and MNF big prizes. Friday night fantastic addition to squad. New deal gives Sky Sports even better match selections. 75% of 1st & 2nd picks. Good news for our viewers. Right decision for us not to chase Champions League. £300m only guarantees 26 matches with British teams. Premier League matters more to fans. Only one company achieved all its objectives in auction. Post-rationalisation by the runners up can’t change that! Twice BT tried to muscle in and take PL rights from us. Twice Sky won maximum number of games. Blind auctions not for faint hearted. Lots of questions over last few years about challenge to Sky Sports Answer now clear - Sky Sports miles ahead for years to come."

If I were a Sky Executive I'd be keeping a low profile right now and keeping my head down. Hard.

Me thinks the person doeth protest to much... Lol
    How many times did sky state bt had paid to much for champions league, sky would never do something like that. I think the 'we' will absorb the extra cost means the royal 'we'.
    It seems to be missing the word exclusive.. On yes they don't have any football competitions with English clubs exclusively or is the league cup exclusive to sky.. I forget.

Journalists always twist things to make a story but this make interesting reading

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foot...
  • Paul19Paul19 Posts: 116Member
    edited 17 December 2016, 8:18PM
    Visionman said:

Sky better not crow too much. If the Ofcom investigation does not go there way, I personally can't see how Ofcom won't come down in favour of BT as it's obvious Sky are restricting a competitors access to Sky sports channels in the hope of killing them off. We could have a situation where BT Infinity customers pay £7.49 for entertainment package £3 for HD bolt on say £25 for Sky sports channels a total of £35.49 and you can watch all the Premier League and additional BT Sports offerings. Hope Sky start to loose customers and money!
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    Visionman said:

I guess Sky's objectives were clear , hold onto the lions share of the EPL games which they did. The task of balancing the books is down to the executives now.

Whilst sport is getting expensive I do prefer the Sky Sports offerring it offers a far greater range of sport and superior pre/post game coverage in my opinion.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Visionman said:

I posted this on another forum, but its just as relevant here -

The first bidding round went to a second, which implies there was either a third bidder involved or that both BT and Sky weren't happy with the status quo. The result of the second round implies the former.

BT maintained its business stance of only wanting a minority number of packs. But Sky? We'll never know for sure but something spooked them, and it spooked them so much and to the extent that they went in hard in the second round to blow everyone out of the water. 86% harder. How they will structure this financial impact in the future will be interesting to see. 
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,924Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Sky owes its success over more than 20 years almost entirely to EPL TV rights. Sure they have broadened their horizons during that period, both with other sports coverage and with the development of original content on their general entertainment channels. But live football remains the cornerstone of their business. Cast your minds back to the very first EPL deal, which may seem minuscule in comparison to today's figures, but was nevertheless greeted with a mixture of astonishment, incredulity and outrage at the time. Plus ça change...

The only thing that surprises me is the suggestion that BT are getting some kind of "bargain" by paying "only" £960m. It just goes to show how inured some observers seem to have become to the staggering amounts involved.
    redchiz said:

Sky owes its success over more than 20 years almost entirely to EPL TV rights. Sure they have broadened their horizons during that period, both with other sports coverage and with the development of original content on their general entertainment channels. But live football remains the cornerstone of their business. Cast your minds back to the very first EPL deal, which may seem minuscule in comparison to today's figures, but was nevertheless greeted with a mixture of astonishment, incredulity and outrage at the time. Plus ça change...

The only thing that surprises me is the suggestion that BT are getting some kind of "bargain" by paying "only" £960m. It just goes to show how inured some observers seem to have become to the staggering amounts involved.

To whom are you referring? The written press? Digital media? Me? Because I know I didn't say that.
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Just a general set of observations, which is why I posted it as separate comment rather than a response to anyone else's. Is that OK by you?
    redchiz said:

Fine. But I've not seen anyone refer to it as "only". Hence my confusion. Thanks for clarifying.
    redchiz said:

No worries. I shall now get back to watching Liverpool at Crystal Palace on BT Sport's dreadful online service!  Smiley
    redchiz said:

It uses h.264/AVC at 3Mbps. I get my online app in almost HD. Don't you? Or maybe your just cursing the TV right now. Palace one nil up.
    redchiz said:

Tragically it has to use Silverlight (spit/curse) on my MacBook. Have had to borrow one of the boys' iPads instead. And It's a game of two halves.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    redchiz said:

Indeed. And thats Liverpool in the first and second. :)
    redchiz said:

Smiley
    redchiz said:

edited 6 March 2017, 2:50PM
    The FA Cup, 7th - 9th March -

"Manchester United's FA Cup quarter-final tie with holders Arsenal will be shown live on BBC One.

The tie will be played on Monday, 9 March at 19:45 GMT.

The BBC's other live game involves Tim Sherwood's Aston Villa, who face West Midlands rivals West Bromwich Albion at 17:30 on Saturday, 7 March.

BT Sport are showing Bradford City against Reading at 12:45 on 7 March and Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers on Sunday, 8 March at 16:00.

The Bradford game will be free for non-BT subscribers to watch on its website or on BT Sport 1."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31521924

The Bradford game coverage will be unencryted on the BT Sport app, Sky and Virgin platforms, YouView from BT and terrestrial TV channel 58.

Visionman said:

"Manchester United's FA Cup quarter-final tie with holders Arsenal will be shown live on BBC One.

The BBC's other live game involves Tim Sherwood's Aston Villa, who face West Midlands rivals West Bromwich Albion at 17:30 on Saturday, 7 March.

BT Sport are showing Bradford City against Reading at 12:45 on 7 March and Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers on Sunday, 8 March at 16:00.

The Bradford game will be free for non-BT subscribers to watch on its website or on BT Sport 1."

The Bradford game coverage will be unencryted on the BT Sport app, Sky and Virgin platforms, YouView from BT and terrestrial TV channel 58.

Correction to the above -  BT Sport will be showing the Bradford v Reading clash free for all on Sky, BT TV and btsport.com.

But I wonder why not for users on Virgin Media as well?
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 6Member
    edited 7 March 2015, 4:21PM
    Visionman said:

It was - just not mentioned
    Visionman said:

Hi ozsat. I know it was on, but was it for all users regardless of TV package?
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 6Member
    edited 7 March 2015, 7:40PM
    Visionman said:

People with the 'M' package -the lowest you can have - got the event.
    Visionman said:

Thanks for that. Have a like. Strange it wasn't mentioned in the press release though.
    Visionman said:

Spoiler alert! If anyone has recorded the FA Cup match and hasn't watched it yet then don't read this if you don't want to know what happened.

I recorded the BBC1 HD showing of Reading V Arsenal today knowing Sky wouldn't give the FA Cup game score away. I watched Chelsea V Man Utd but the FA Cup game went into extra time. The BBC crids didn't pick up on this so the recording stopped just 13mins into the first half of extra time. Sort it out BBC.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 942Member ✭✭
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:

Well I recorded the whole (extended programme)  on BBC 1 HD using Accurate Recording  on a Humax HDR so I believe the BBC did get it right.
  • David8David8 Posts: 650Member ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 2:16PM
    Visionman said:

Have we heard any pricing yet for the forthcoming Champions League on BT Sport ? Can we expect any extra functionality ? If so what and will it be available only on the Youview platform or also on Sky and Virgin Media.
    David>
    Have we heard any pricing yet for the forthcoming Champions League on BT Sport ? Can we expect any extra functionality ? If so what and will it be available only on the Youview platform or also on Sky and Virgin Media.
    There have been no official announcements re package prices up to now unfortunately. But there will be new packages to be had on offer -
    Sport remains the heart of BT’s television strategy, however. The whole of BT’s consumer unit is now gearing up for the big push in summer, when it will launch a new set-top box to allow ultra-high definition football coverage. BT is also planning new bundles to sell superfast broadband and mobile service alongside exclusive European club football, and redoubling its efforts to sell to the pub market.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11488483/BT-clears-...

And there will be new features as well, Kinda like Skys red button service but actually interactive TV -
    Mr Patterson said BT will exploit the capabilities of superfast broadband to introduce personalisation features for viewers such as a choice of camera angles. Advertisers will also benefit, he said. “Direct through fibre, instead of traditional aerial and satellite, you can personalise the service in ways that haven’t been possible so far. You’ll also be able to make advertising more targeted and more interactive.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10617952/BT-plots-m...

BT Sport to broadcast summer coverage of the Euro 2015 U21 Championship. Previously screened by Sky. Nice.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-to-show-exclusive-coverage-of-euro-2015-u21-champio...
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Its been announced BT will reveal their prices for next season on the 9th June.

http://www.cityam.com/216705/bt-reveal-how-much-fans-will-pay-watch-champions-league

I can't wait to see Sky's face when they are announced.
    Visionman said:

Its been announced BT will reveal their prices for next season on the 9th June.

http://www.cityam.com/216705/bt-reveal-how-much-fans-will-pay-watch-champions-league

I can't wait to see Sky's face when they are announced.

It will be interesting in a way. But I can tell you already what my face will be like, it will be pressed forlornly up against the window even more so than before when at least ITV had a slice of the action to offer to all viewers, moving from behind one provider's paywall to another's isn't really good news for most football fans.  :(