BT Sport

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    David8 said:

@Visionman

So no way of confirming , thanks but I'll stick to my original views. The only people who know anything about such commercially sensitive negotiations generally don't post on a public forum.

In comparison to what, David?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • David8David8 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2016, 1:16PM
    David8 said:

@Visionman

So no way of confirming , thanks but I'll stick to my original views. The only people who know anything about such commercially sensitive negotiations generally don't post on a public forum.

When you start weighing the costs up to watch BT Sport on TV including Champions League your now fast approaching Sky Sports costs with far less top tier sport.
    David8 said:

@Visionman

Could you break that down for me? As in a comparison?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM
    Ah chaps, there's the rub. How do you breakdown the costs of BT Sport? Because it seems to me that it is buried into the total cost of the service. BT don't want to sell you football, they want to sell you their whole package. Sky have long been using a bundled approach for their TV service, you have to sign up to seven kinds of dross before they even let you have a sniff of sports, or movies.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    redchiz said:

Ah chaps, there's the rub. How do you breakdown the costs of BT Sport? Because it seems to me that it is buried into the total cost of the service. BT don't want to sell you football, they want to sell you their whole package. Sky have long been using a bundled approach for their TV service, you have to sign up to seven kinds of dross before they even let you have a sniff of sports, or movies.

You mean that are not just going to give away something they pay hundred's of millions of pounds for.. Now fancy that :-)

As someone has already said, it isn't really free it is 'included free' but would anyone really expect any different...
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    redchiz said:

No, I don't mean that at all, far from it, I am actually amazed that some people have been swallowing the line for the past couple of years that BT Sport is "free."  ;)
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    redchiz>
    Ah chaps, there's the rub. How do you breakdown the costs of BT Sport? Because it seems to me that it is buried into the total cost of the service.
    Nail hits head and indeed it is. It comes as a package. I'd be amazed if BT Sport's combined phone, fibre and TV service costs more than Sky, which is why I asked for a breakdown.
    redchiz said:

No, BT users don't believe that. They know its 'included with' but the ASA allow wide licence where the word 'free' is concerned. I wish they didn't because none of it ever is. From anyone. :-)
    redchiz said:

Scott!! Hello. Hows your last few months been? Interesting? :)
    redchiz said:

I think as I said "some people" do fall for it though, not all of course. Ah, god bless the ASA, right up there with Ofcom when it comes to being the consumers' champion.
    redchiz said:

Very interesting visionman ;-) Things may get clearer in a few days (if they could get any clearer ;-) )
    Definition of free - It's a bit like 4 years interest free credit on a sofa whose price has been upped by let's say about four years interest... Or the car with a free 3 year warranty whose price has been... Well you get the idea..
    redchiz said:

Lol. Talk Tuesday... ; -)
    edited 6 March 2017, 1:50PM
    David>
    When you start weighing the costs up to watch BT Sport on TV including Champions League your now fast approaching Sky Sports costs with far less top tier sport.
    Breakdown, David?
  • Paul19Paul19 Member Posts: 116
    edited 17 December 2016, 7:18PM
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Sky Family package with movies and sports along with unlimited fiber and line rental is £112.15 per month. My last BT bill with unlimited fiber, unlimited calls, BT Sports with HD oh and Netflix UHD came to £64.42 of forget to mention this also includes BT Mobile. So if I add Sky movies at £13.50 it still only comes to £77.92. I pay my line rental yearly even taking this into account it's still way cheaper than Sky by about £17 per month and this included my mobile. Let's compare the difference when a Sky launch their mobile service. Bet that will put a Sky £20 a month more expensive. So I still believe BT offer a far cheaper service and the difference in choice of available entertainment is narrowing each year!
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?I must be paying more for the luxury of free BT Sport then as my BT bill is as follows

£27.00 for Infinity 2
    £3.00 for HD
    £16.99 Line Rental

Total £46.99 with no TV on BT
  • Paul19Paul19 Member Posts: 116
    edited 17 December 2016, 7:18PM
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Even with the Entertainment Max package with BT it's still way cheaper than Sky. I only pay BT £5 for my mobile.
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?How Much!?! You need to do some serious negotiating there David.  

£21.30 for BT Unlimited Infinity 2 
    £16.99 Line Rental 
    £12.50 BT TV
    HD - free

£50.79 in total (plus, for me, £23 for Sky Sports 1&2, which hardly anyone takes).

Activation - free, Netflix - free  and a YV box for free. Though that was an Uber special offer I got. If any current BT Vision users want to switch to Netflix, and by default, YouView, this offers still running. :-)
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Everybody has different needs so it is hard to compare. But lets just take the basics on a like for like :-

BT Infinity 2 unlimited £26
    Sky Up to 76MBps unlimited fibre £30

BT Line Rental (Free Weekend calls) £16.99
    Sky (same as BT) £16.40

BT TV Entertaiment Plus (With BT Sport included) £10 (possible £5 for BT Sport Europe?)
    Sky Basic Pack (Orignal) with Sky Sports £45.50

Obviously then you can add on multiple other scenarios (HD, all calls, Sky Movies, etc etc) but I think you will find these are all roughly the same prices across both...
    To me that makes SKY STILL roughly £30 a month more...
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?This is all very interesting, but comparing "my bill" or other special offers with Sky's full price rates is not particularly illuminating. Three BT customers have come up with three different totals, who'd have thought?

Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?And rising....
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?I agree if it's fibre you want however not everyone currently does and with Sky fibre isn't a prerequisite to having their TV service.

As you say its down to individual requirements
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Fibre isn't a pre-requiste for BTTV either (the Starter pack on BTTV is actually £0 a month on copper).
    And under certain conditions you can still have BT Sport (sort of :-) ).
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Thankyou wasn't aware of that , I'd imagine its a prerequisite if you want HD or multiroom though is that correct ?

Doesnt viewing or recording internet channels so eat into the speed of your broadband ?
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?David, you don't have to have any phone/broadband services from Sky in order to get their TV service, it comes via satellite, remember?
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Depends how you look at it.
    With the SKY original bundle I quoted you only get 11 FTA HD channels, you also get those with the BT TV Starter (on copper) bundle (delivered via the arieal).

But if you want the extra channels in HD then yes you need fibre but you would also need to up your sky package to something like the family bundle (£36) to get Sky's channels in HD. It's all releative and NOBODY gives anything away for free...
    You pay your money for what suits you.

Obviously anything you do on the internet eats into your speed allowance (the same as downloading any on-demand content from sky will do).
    I would suggest that anybody where the 2-3Mbps watching Internet TV causes a big issue should be looking at upgrading anyway.
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Surely the internet HD channels require more than 2-3mbps ? I routinely record two HD channels at once how much of a hit on speed would I take on that ?
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Like I said FTA HD channels don't need any Internet allowance but the Internet HD channels will need a fibre product anyway so the 12 Mbps should be covered (Infinity Fibre Broadband is minimum 17Mbps - someone correct me if I am wrong, otherwise it is not classed as fibre broadband).
    Even SKY, who for a long time tried to hide the Fibre product saying people didn't need it, have now conceded defeat and know Fibre is the future. As things move into the cloud (including SKY products) everyone will need it more and more....

@David you said you had Infinity2...If you have a problem recording two HD channels and doing ANYTHING else you want then there is an issue...
    Visionman said:

David>
    Breakdown, David?Just one minor point scott, two HD channels take 7.5Mbps each so in total its 15Mbps and BT have the ability to push a HD channel up to 10, depending on what they are showing.
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Has anyone seen the new adverts for BTs UCL coverage? There hilarious -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3114164/BT-Sport-launch-new-Champions-League-cover...
    Visionman said:

Has anyone seen the new adverts for BTs UCL coverage? There hilarious -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3114164/BT-Sport-launch-new-Champions-League-cover...

Good of you to draw our attention to a BT product, not like you like at all. Interesting use of the word "hilarious." And the word "there." Quite wrong on both counts though. Thanks anyway.