List of devices certified for BBC Sport

c cc c Member Posts: 413
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts

Comments

• Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    Don't see my Samsung UE40F5300 on the list ...  Any way, what's it all about?
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 9 July 2014, 11:05PM

Has it got the app?
    what's it all about?
    The 17 extra streams the BBC is putting on for the World Cup. Needs the app, and/or Connected Red Button
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:55PM

I think the current model is UE40F5500 - did you get yours from eBay?

• edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    c c  - (this is probably a stupid question) does the list mean that the original Roku LT won't have it?
    gwatuk said:

c c  - (this is probably a stupid question) does the list mean that the original Roku LT won't have it?

Is it different from the two LTs that are listed?
    gwatuk said:

I don't know - that's really what I'm asking.
    gwatuk said:

I think all you can do is buy it from a retailer with a decent returns policy, check for the app, and return it if it's not there
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 11 December 2016, 10:58AM

Yes cc, it's got the app but not used it yet, must check it out.

gwatuk, not eBay, got it from Tesco.. 

My Sony BD player also has the app.
    gwatuk said:

I now have the answer.
    I've got a Roku LT - not used for some time.
    I've just updated it and it has the BBC Sport app.
    Quality looks OK.
    It looks like they're available from eBay for about £25.
    It's a shame that I can't advertise it here and find it a good home.
    But the old Ts & Cs don't allow that.

gwatuk said:

I thought you wanted it for the BBC Sport app?

If you don't want it, it should sell quickly just now, if you mention the app in the description. I think I'll go for the "streaming stick" - save a power lead.
    gwatuk said:

I was hoping someone might make me an offer I couldn't refuse.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    gwatuk said:

Careful when you turn back the bedsheets, then :-)
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
    edited 11 December 2016, 10:58AM

Yesterday out of curiosity I turned recommendations on, but what is it suppose to recommend  and how,? no notifications have come on screen.
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29AM
    gwatuk said:

cc, Roku's Streaming Stick, like Google's Chromecast, needs power. I believe they both include a USB lead, and a USB to mains adapter. I'm not involved with Roku, but the chromecast techies recommend using the mains option.
    gwatuk said:

Thanks for mentioning that, Michael. I'll check the power requirements.

I'm more than half-tempted to buy Humax's little £99 Freetime box instead. If the Roku streaming stick won't run off a TV USB port, I'll definitely go for the Freetime box. At least it would earn its keep after the WC has come and gone, whereas the Roku surely wouldn't.
    gwatuk said:

Seems the stick is fine with a USB slot.
    Roku says that the streaming stick typically takes less than 2W when streaming HD video, so it's green-planet friendly and not overly demanding if your TV does have a nearby USB port .
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audi...

But the Freetime alternative has got my full attention now.
    :-)
    gwatuk said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. Both are fine with TV USB power, and come with a USB lead for where the TV has a spare socket, but both include a mains adapter. The chromecast forums suggest using mains power where that's an option, but both mine take power from the TV's, and both are fine.

I confess, I am a chromecast fan. There's some great options out there, but from the aesthetic point of view, I really didn't want another box, and I've enough remotes already. And browsing and choosing content from my phone is just so easy.

Have fun :-)
    gwatuk said:

A Chromecast on the mains can be powered on remotely, but a Chromecast on USB needs the TV turned on.

TV manufacturers may give some thought in future to having always-on USB sockets when the TV is in standby, for devices like the Chromecast and the Roku Streaming Stick, but I don't know if any do at present.

My Chromecast, alas, is back in its box unless and until the Chrome browser on mobile devices can cast like Chrome on PCs, which is still not the case at present.

I can't imagine what's causing the delay in providing this :-(

But pretty much everything I tested Chromecast with could be Miracast anyway - the technologies seem very similar - to any Miracast enabled Smart TV or bluray player.

However, as soon as we get casting support on mobile Chrome, I have a slot for it on an unSmart TV, so I'm keeping my eye on the mobile Chrome betas.
    gwatuk said:

TV manufacturers may give some thought in future to having always-on USB sockets when the TV is in standby, for devices like the Chromecast and the Roku Streaming Stick, but I don't know if any do at present.
    What am I missing? Wouldn't you always want the TV on when using a Roku or Chromecast?
    gwatuk said:

Think about it from the YouView box experience.

Your TV is off, your YouView box is off, you want to watch YouView, so you press the relevant button on the remote, and the YouView box powers up, switches the TV on, and switches to the YouView box input HDMI.

Now Chromecast; same situation, you have the remote controller on your iThingy or Android, you press 'On'.

If the Chromecast is mains-driven, it does what the YouView box does. If the Chromecast is USB-driven, and is on a TV in standby, you get a big fat nothing.

OK, you switch the TV on, with its remote, or a remote for it you might have on your mobile device, and try again, and this time it all works.

No biggies, but it's a difference, and it may matter to some people. So it's a consideration; nothing more, but it is one.
    gwatuk said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious.
    gwatuk said:

No problem. Perhaps I was a bit obscure before :-(
    gwatuk said:

We're going off at a tangent from the OP, but still. Matters not to me, and in the real world, I suspect not to many others. HDMI CEC is too flaky and unreliable anyway to make any decision based on that functionality, or lack of it.

On miracast, you need the receiving kit to have, err.., the receiver. Then in its basic format you're mirroring the sender. With chromecast optimized apps, you're not. It receives the stream direct. Your device can be used as normal and isn't eating battery.

Chromecast is primarily positioned as an online streamer with certain apps. Nevertheless, there is an official, but beta, function to cast browsers and local content from PC/Mac. There is no official equivalent on android/iOS, even beta, from Google. Many third party apps have stepped up. I use EZCast. Others use Allcast. There are many others listed in the Cast Store app.

We already had DLNA but got our first chromecast last year, a US import, to add Netflix and Google Play movies to our existing smart line-up, without mirroring and tieing up a device, and without a wired connection. Then chromecast #2 to add some smart services to a non-smart kitchen TV.

For what it does, neatly, up to 1080p and 5.1 on appropriate material, £30 a pop? It's a steal.
    gwatuk said:

No problem. Perhaps I was a bit obscure before :-(
    More a failure of the imagination on my part.

But I've since thought of another scenario in which it would be a nuisance. If you were using a music app like Tunein or Spotify, you might well be playing music for hours without sending any key press to the TV, and thus the TV might go to sleep, turning off the Roku.

Now that would be seriously annoying. :-)
    gwatuk said:

But if you had it mains powered, when the TV went to sleep, it would leave the device still on and consuming power and bandwidth, but entirely uselessly and silently.

And that would be even more annoying :-)
    gwatuk said:

Luckily, you're listening through headphones plugged into your Roku remote. :-)
    gwatuk said:

Not on the Stick you aren't :-)